XV50, XV144, XV222 Assembly Manual

James Duffey
My XV222 runs hot after a few minutes of contest activity with 20W output, 5W input on SSB or CW. I have not operated it on FM. Running at 15W helps a bit, but it is still warmer than I feel comfortable with. I have a linear and can drive that with 10w to 15w, so that helps, but if you are expecting a high duty cycle 20W transverter, the XV222 isn't it.

If the fan helps, I hope Elecraft makes a retrofit kit available. Not sure if I have vent holes fo rthe attenuator resistors or not; I need to check. - Duffey
--
KK6MC
James Duffey

Re: XV50, XV144, XV222 Assembly Manual

Johnny Siu
Hello James,

I agree with you.

A retrofit kit with additional holes in the top / bottom covers around the power module and FAN area would be help.  In fact, I would suggest product improvement in the following areas (which means minimal cost to Elecraft):

1.  For all XV transverters, there should be an internal fan like the XV432.  This fan should be on during TX (RX is not hot), D4 could be the point of TX 12v;

2.  More ventilation holes in both the top and bottom panels around the internal fan and power module areas;

3.  The heat spreader should be replaced by a larger copper sheet to improve heat transfer.  Currently, I use white heat sink compound to improve the heat transfer.

The designed capacity of the RF power module RA30H1317M can well accommodate 20w output.  Why do not make some modifications to the product really addressing the heat issue?

There have been many XV users saying that they only use 5-10w to drive their brick linear, heat issue does not matter.

However, under the official specifications by Elecraft, power output is 20w SSB/CW and 10 w continous carrier modes.  Based on these specifications, I purchased my XV144.  I feel that I at least have the liberately to voice my opinion about the heat issue here (even operate under Elecraft specifications).

Whether I am going to use a brick linear or power on my IC970H to run 10w FM is another issue.

cheers,

Johnny VR2XMC

----- 郵件原件 ----
寄件人﹕ James Duffey <[hidden email]>
收件人﹕ [hidden email]
副本(CC) James Duffey <[hidden email]>
傳送日期﹕ 2009/12/13 (日) 10:29:04 AM
主題: [Elecraft] XV50, XV144, XV222 Assembly Manual

My XV222 runs hot after a few minutes of contest activity with 20W output, 5W input on SSB or CW. I have not operated it on FM. Running at 15W helps a bit, but it is still warmer than I feel comfortable with. I have a linear and can drive that with 10w to 15w, so that helps, but if you are expecting a high duty cycle 20W transverter, the XV222 isn't it.

If the fan helps, I hope Elecraft makes a retrofit kit available. Not sure if I have vent holes fo rthe attenuator resistors or not; I need to check. - Duffey
--
KK6MC
James Duffey
Cedar Crest NM

      Yahoo!香港提供網上安全攻略,教你如何防範黑客! 請前往 http://hk.promo.yahoo.com/security/ 了解更多!

Re: XV50, XV144, XV222 Assembly Manual

David Pratt
Many thanks to all who replied to my query about the vent holes in the
top cover of the XV144. There weren't any on mine, so I drilled some
over the Metox resistors in the RF power attenuator (R20, R21, R26,
R27).

With particular thanks to Johnny VR2XMC, I have now completed my mods to
the XV144 by adding a fan, similar to that used in the XV432 and
drilling vent holes in the base plate.

Although I am only driving the XV144 with 1mW from either the K2 or K3,
heating of the resistors was not a problem, but hot air is now coming
out of the top vent holes when I am transmitting.

Hopefully, the mods will enable the XV144 PA module to run cooler and it
will not shut down after I have been transmitting for more than a few
minutes.

David G4DMP
Leeds, England, UK
------