XV50 vs FT817?

Peter Wollan-2
An XV50 + KIO2, adding on to a QRP K2, is getting within shouting
distance of the cost of an FT817.  Could someone comment on the
relative merits, for use as a first multimode VHF rig?  My guess is
that the XV50 is better, but does less.  In addition to just exploring
on CW and SSB, I'd want to participate in some VHF CW contests.

    Peter N8MHD

Re: XV50 vs FT817?

Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
Peter,

There are no VHF CW contests, per se. There is usually some 50 MHz CW activity
in the June ARRL VHF QSO party and the July CQ WW VHF contest, but this is
probably about 10% or less of the activity level on SSB. DX chasing, on the
other hand, is typically more fruitful on CW. But chasing 6 meter DX with QRP is
an exercise in frustration. DX signal levels are simply too weak for QRP.

For 6m SSB, you will want at least 100W output into a decent directional antenna
to be competitive in the Low Power category of ARRL VHF (up to 200W). There are
no power categories in the CQ WW, so you're competing directly against the KWs
in this one.

Bottom line -- Outside of extremely strong 50 MHz sporadic-E openings, "VHF" and
"QRP" don't really go together that well, though some guys do seem to enjoy the
challenge. For me, life is too short for 6m QRP. :-)  I enjoy making QSOs too
much, I guess.

Good luck,
Bill W5WVO

Peter Wollan wrote:

> An XV50 + KIO2, adding on to a QRP K2, is getting within shouting
> distance of the cost of an FT817.  Could someone comment on the
> relative merits, for use as a first multimode VHF rig?  My guess is
> that the XV50 is better, but does less.  In addition to just exploring
> on CW and SSB, I'd want to participate in some VHF CW contests.
>
>    Peter N8MHD

Re: XV50 vs FT817?

Johnny Siu
Hello Peter,

XV50 + K2 is a high performer and FT817 is in no way comparable to this combination.  However, if you just look for convenience, FT817 is handy and will give you the flexibility of multi-band and mult-mode.

I used FT817 in the old days but eventually gave it up and replace it with my K2.  In a contest situation, FT817 will receive everything but you cannot select what you really want to hear.  K2 is definitely a go for contest when compared with FT817.

Of course, FT817 is much cheaper.

cheers,

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
寄件人﹕ Peter Wollan <[hidden email]>
收件人 [hidden email]
傳送日期﹕ 2009 年 9月 10 日 星期四 上午 3:14:52
主題: [Elecraft] [K2] XV50 vs FT817?

An XV50 + KIO2, adding on to a QRP K2, is getting within shouting
distance of the cost of an FT817.  Could someone comment on the
relative merits, for use as a first multimode VHF rig?  My guess is
that the XV50 is better, but does less.  In addition to just exploring
on CW and SSB, I'd want to participate in some VHF CW contests.

    Peter N8MHD

      Yahoo!香港提供網上安全攻略,教你如何防範黑客! 請前往 http://hk.promo.yahoo.com/security/ 了解更多!

Re: XV50 vs FT817?

Tim O'Rourke
I would strongly disagree on several points!
I have run 6 meter QRP for years and they do not call it the magic band for nothing.
I have 50+ countries on 6 meter QRP at last count.
I run QRP from QTH as well as mountain tops and when conditions are right you do not need more than a few watts for SSB or CW and yes most VHF contest have CW activity although not as much as I would like.
As for the virtues of KXV verses the 817 I use both but the 817 is my mtn top rig even with the higher current drain I like one rig for all bands, I use a 220 5 watt xverter fron a QST article with the 817 also. The KXV's are more sensitive and have a little more output and I use them at QTH. I like the ease of switching bands and the offsets for keeping frequency easy to see.
Personaly I just do not like taking my K2 and transverters mountain topping.
Tim W4YN

Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [K2] XV50 vs FT817?
To: "Peter Wollan" <[hidden email]>,
        <[hidden email]>

Peter Wollan wrote:
> An XV50 + KIO2, adding on to a QRP K2, is getting within shouting
> distance of the cost of an FT817.  Could someone comment on the
> relative merits, for use as a first multimode VHF rig?  My guess is
> that the XV50 is better, but does less.  In addition to just exploring
> on CW and SSB, I'd want to participate in some VHF CW contests.
>
>    Peter N8MHD

Tim O'Rourke
[hidden email]
Low Power Amateur Radio Rocks
Member of Flying Pigs,ARCI,GQRP,RSGB,ARRL Life Member
NHRA Life Member

Re: XV50 vs FT817?

Johnny Siu
Hello Tim,

QRP did work sometimes with this magic band.  In the past cycle, I used 5 watts and made contact between Oman and Hong Kong.  Also 10 watts between Brazil and Hong Kong.  Of course, QRP will need more patience and skill.

I never tried K2+ XV50 on field days because it is too convenience to be carried.  On the other hand, I used K2 only for HF during field day.

cheers,

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
寄件人﹕ Tim O'Rourke <[hidden email]>
收件人 [hidden email]
傳送日期﹕ 2009 年 9月 11 日 星期五 上午 12:16:37
主題: Re: [Elecraft] [K2] XV50 vs FT817?

To: "Peter Wollan" <[hidden email]>,

Peter Wollan wrote:
> An XV50 + KIO2, adding on to a QRP K2, is getting within shouting
> distance of the cost of an FT817.  Could someone comment on the
> relative merits, for use as a first multimode VHF rig?  My guess is
> that the XV50 is better, but does less.  In addition to just exploring
> on CW and SSB, I'd want to participate in some VHF CW contests.
>
>    Peter N8MHD

Tim O'Rourke
[hidden email]
Low Power Amateur Radio Rocks
Member of Flying Pigs,ARCI,GQRP,RSGB,ARRL Life Member
NHRA Life Member

Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl..net/donate.html

      Yahoo!香港提供網上安全攻略,教你如何防範黑客! 請前往 http://hk.promo.yahoo.com/security/ 了解更多!

Re: Re: XV50 vs FT817?

Peter Wollan-2
Thanks to all for the feedback, comparing these two VHF solutions.
Unfortunately, it's still not an obvious decision.  I'm inclined to go
with the XV-50, because I need another kit to build ...

   Peter N8MHD

Re: XV50 vs FT817?

James Duffey
Peter - The XV-50 and a K2 is not really a cost effective way of
getting on VHF. Besides the KIO2, you will also need either the K60XV
or the K160RX. And if you want SSB, you will need the KSB2. If you
already have the K2, the cost may be reasonable given the good
performance achieved, but if you are starting from scratch, the cost
of a K2, the options required for transverter operation, and the XV50
are pretty close to a 10 Watt K3, and the K3 has a lot better
performance. The K2 does offer a very nice transverter interface, but
going that way is fairly expensive.

The FT-817 is a different beast. The receiver performance under
crowded band conditions is not great and you really need to add the
narrow CW filter to bring it up to snuff on CW receive. That said, you
get a lot of bang for your buck with the 817, and if you want to
contest at VHF, two meters is almost essential. You will find that
everyone you work in a VHF contest will ask you if you have any other
bands. You will with the FT-817, you won't with the K2/XV50. In the
June contest, with Es, you can get by with 6M only, but the rest of
the year you will probably be better off with 2M as the main band.

As to QRP at VHF, there is more to be said on that, which I will in
another post. - De. Megacycle KK6MC/5
--
KK6MC
James Duffey

Re: XV50 vs FT817?

Johnny Siu
May be I would like to add another point for the setting up of XV50+K2.

It is NOT quite necessary to get the KIO2 and KV60 transverter interface to work K2 + XV50.  XV50 is so well designed that it can work with a wide variety of combinations.  To be marketable product,  the entire XV series can work with variety of rigs and set-up combination.

K2 can TX at a stable low power of about 1 watt (actually well lower than that in my own experience).  All you need is a simple Keying Kit from N0SS to PTT the transverter.

Of course, if you really need to go for 60m or computer control, then you will need the KIO2 or KV60.  Otherwise, you can save some $ for your K2 + XV50 set up.

AsI mentioned in the past in this email reflector, when you add up all the preferred options for either K2 or K3, the overall bill could be quite handsome.  Clearly, you are given the full liberty to make your own choices of options and reduce your bill accordingly.

FT817, is really another kind of animal.  It is handy, multifunction and entertaining. Of course, it is much cheaper - only about US$570 in Hong Kong for a MF to UHF multiband all mode rig.  When the band is dead, you even listen to FM broadcast for amusement.

While I use K2 for HF field day, I would prefer using FT817 for ARES or local community social services.

Just my 2 cents opinion.

73

Johnny Siu VR2XMC

寄件人﹕ James Duffey <[hidden email]>