Yet Another KPA500 Question

Bill - K6WLM
Since there does not seem to be any schematic diagrams posted yet for the KPA500 I am wondering what the 270 volts from the power supply is used for.  My guess would be that it maybe used for the T/R swithching and the higher voltage insures faster switching but that is just a guess.  Don or anyone do you know?

Thanks & 73,
Bill - K6WLM

Re: Yet Another KPA500 Question

Richard Squire - HB9ANM
You are right, Bill: the 270V are required for the T/R switching  through the PIN diodes.

73 - Richard

Bill - K6WLM wrote
Since there does not seem to be any schematic diagrams posted yet for the KPA500 I am wondering what the 270 volts from the power supply is used for.  My guess would be that it maybe used for the T/R swithching and the higher voltage insures faster switching but that is just a guess.  Don or anyone do you know?
Richard - HB9ANM

Re: Yet Another KPA500 Question

Bill,
I don't know about "faster switching", but normally in a T/R switch, the
diodes must be reverse biased with a DC voltage higher than the peak RF
voltage to be encountered.

On 8/7/2011 3:25 PM, Bill wrote:
> Since there does not seem to be any schematic diagrams posted yet for the KPA500 I am wondering what the 270 volts from the power supply is used for.  My guess would be that it maybe used for the T/R swithching and the higher voltage insures faster switching but that is just a guess.  Don or anyone do you know?
>
> Thanks&  73,
> Bill - K6WLM

Re: Yet Another KPA500 Question

Guy, K2AV
Yup, 270v times .707 = 191v to get max RMS RF properly blocked.  Using E
squared divided by R, gives you 728 watts blocked by 270 VDC on diodes for a
well matched 50 ohm load. Various tricks increase this range, but that
explains the order of magnitude.

73, Guy.