amp

Dennis Watkins-2
I wonder why Elecraft doesn't make a water cooled amp, 1500 watts worth.
No noise..

Dennis  W7JX
K3 # 3901

Re: amp

Ken G Kopp
Hi Dennis,

Having done the radiator work on the first ETO (pre-Alpha) water-cooled
amplifier, I can tell you there are signifigant problems involved.

'Tain't worth it. (:-)

73!

Ken Kopp - K0PP

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 2:11 AM, Dennis Watkins
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I wonder why Elecraft doesn't make a water cooled amp, 1500 watts worth.
> No noise..
>
> Dennis  W7JX
> K3 # 3901

Re: amp

Scott Manthe-2
Wayne and Eric have been pretty honest in the past as to why they don't
currently offer a legal-limit amp, water or air-cooled: price point. The
KPA-1500 would've had to sell for about $6K in kit form, and apparently,
the Elecraft team thought that was too much. Having spent too much time
drooling on it at Dayton, it would've been nice to see it brought to
market, but at that price point, I can understand why Wayne and Eric
decided against it.

73,
Scott, N9AA

On 4/26/12 10:11 PM, Dennis Watkins wrote:
> I wonder why Elecraft doesn't make a water cooled amp, 1500 watts worth.
> No noise..
>
> Dennis  W7JX
> K3 # 3901

Re: amp

ke9uw
They are doing pretty well power wise for a company I once thought was into building QRP kits.

Chuck, KE9UW
aka Jack, BMW Motorcycles

Wayne and Eric have been pretty honest in the past as to why they don't
currently offer a legal-limit amp, water or air-cooled: price point. The
KPA-1500 would've had to sell for about $6K in kit form, and apparently,
the Elecraft team thought that was too much. Having spent too much time
drooling on it at Dayton, it would've been nice to see it brought to
market, but at that price point, I can understand why Wayne and Eric
decided against it.

73,
Scott, N9AA

On 4/26/12 10:11 PM, Dennis Watkins wrote:
> I wonder why Elecraft doesn't make a water cooled amp, 1500 watts worth.
> No noise..
>
> Dennis  W7JX
> K3 # 3901

Chuck, KE9UW

Re: amp

Mike K2MK
Hi Scott,

People are buying foreign made solid state legal limit amps like the Tokyo Hy-Power HL2.5FX and SPE EXPERT 2K-FA at $6000 plus. I hope the success of the KPA500 leads Elecraft to reconsider either a 1KW or 1.5KW amp.

73,
Mike K2MK

Scott Manthe-2 wrote
Wayne and Eric have been pretty honest in the past as to why they don't
currently offer a legal-limit amp, water or air-cooled: price point. The
KPA-1500 would've had to sell for about $6K in kit form, and apparently,
the Elecraft team thought that was too much. Having spent too much time
drooling on it at Dayton, it would've been nice to see it brought to
market, but at that price point, I can understand why Wayne and Eric
decided against it.

73,
Scott, N9AA

Re: amp

Kevin Stover
Hi MIke,

There's no good reason for Elecraft to invest the time and money into
manufacturing a 1-1.5K Watt amp.
The market is very small and the competition is fierce, not only from
other SS amp manufacturer's but from those that still sell tube type amps.

You can't compete on price with the likes of an Ameritron, QRO,
Commander (whenever they decide to resurface) and even Alpha.

That leaves features and the more features you add, like stupid proofing
a SS amp, and the inevitable built-in "match 1500W to my rain gutters"
tuner, you've lost the price war.

If you buy an Ameritron AL-1500 with the 8877 Eimac tube, a contest
proven amp with thousands sold and thousands of hours, you can afford to
re-tube it twice and still not hit the magic $6K mark.

Solid state amps have come a long way but they have a real long way to
go before matching the reliability and price point of a tube amp.

I'd love Elecraft to prove me wrong but think they'd be better served by
focusing their efforts on the "K4". The barbarians are at the gate
performance wise and I'd really like to shove a stick in some FTDX-5000
owners eyes.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

Re: amp

Scott Manthe-2
I think that the K3+P3+KPA500= the mythical K4

Elecraft probably wouldn't have invested a bunch of money in building a
line of gear around the K3 only to introduce something else. But, I
could be wrong. Having acquired the "K Line," I'm not much interested in
a "K4." I'm also not much interested in shoving a stick into anyone's
eyes because of their choice of gear. The FT-5000 series are great
radios- they're great performers, look nice and are expensive. I bought
the K3 because for me, the entire "K Line," including a well configured
used K3, the KPA500 kit and a used P3 only cost about $200 more than a
base FT-5000. I don't really worry about anything that FT-5000 owners
might have to say.

73,
Scott, N9AA