amp

vk4tux

 You must remember you are talking about loyal Elecraft fans who will
 sacrifice whatever it takes to keep the K-Line pure.

>> You can't compete on price with the likes of an Ameritron, QRO,
>> Commander (whenever they decide to resurface) and even Alpha.
>>
>> That leaves features and the more features you add, like stupid proofing
>> a SS amp, and the inevitable built-in "match 1500W to my rain gutters"
>> tuner, you've lost the price war.
>>
>> If you buy an Ameritron AL-1500 with the 8877 Eimac tube, a contest
>> proven amp with thousands sold and thousands of hours, you can afford to
>> re-tube it twice and still not hit the magic $6K mark.
>>
>> Solid state amps have come a long way but they have a real long way to
>> go before matching the reliability and price point of a tube amp.
>>
>> I'd love Elecraft to prove me wrong but think they'd be better served by
>> focusing their efforts on the "K4". The barbarians are at the gate
>> performance wise and I'd really like to shove a stick in some FTDX-5000
>> owners eyes.

 No keep the K3 updated and improved, it is a great alrounder that doesnt
break the back or bank balance.
All K3 owners feel they have the lastest at all times due to Elecrafts
 marvellous hardware and firmware updates available to all.

 If a 6k 1.5kw K1500 is released, there will a cue waiting as per usual with
 Elecraft releases. Present k3 owners, I think would rather see a KPA1500
for
 their k3, rather than a K4, which will have what else besides size perhaps?
 The K-line is modelled on the size of the K3 so K4 looks very unlikely to
 me.

 Adrian ... vk4tux

Re: amp

Igor Sokolov-2
I do not want bigger then K3 size of K4 based on the same architecture but
K4 of the size of K3 based on SDR architecture would be very interesting.
I would strongly consider KPA 1500 if it would be capable of everything that
Expert 2K-FA can already do plus a bit extra. That is provided the price of
such an amp is about the same as that of Expert 2K-FA.
Alternatively I would be ready to purchase from Elecraft something like
Expert 1K-FA (1 Kw amp) that would be similar in features and price but
would have switching power supply and weight around 10 Kg. This would be
ideal for DXpeditions.

73, Igor UA9CDC

>>> There's no good reason for Elecraft to invest the time and money into
>>> manufacturing a 1-1.5K Watt amp.
>>> The market is very small and the competition is fierce, not only from
>>> other SS amp manufacturer's but from those that still sell tube type
>>> amps.
>>
> You must remember you are talking about loyal Elecraft fans who will
> sacrifice whatever it takes to keep the K-Line pure.
>>>
>>> You can't compete on price with the likes of an Ameritron, QRO,
>>> Commander (whenever they decide to resurface) and even Alpha.
>>>
>>> That leaves features and the more features you add, like stupid proofing
>>> a SS amp, and the inevitable built-in "match 1500W to my rain gutters"
>>> tuner, you've lost the price war.
>>>
>>> If you buy an Ameritron AL-1500 with the 8877 Eimac tube, a contest
>>> proven amp with thousands sold and thousands of hours, you can afford to
>>> re-tube it twice and still not hit the magic $6K mark.
>>>
>>> Solid state amps have come a long way but they have a real long way to
>>> go before matching the reliability and price point of a tube amp.
>>>
>>> I'd love Elecraft to prove me wrong but think they'd be better served by
>>> focusing their efforts on the "K4". The barbarians are at the gate
>>> performance wise and I'd really like to shove a stick in some FTDX-5000
>>> owners eyes.
>>
> No keep the K3 updated and improved, it is a great alrounder that doesnt
> break the back or bank balance.
> All K3 owners feel they have the lastest at all times due to Elecrafts
> marvellous hardware and firmware updates available to all.
>>
> If a 6k 1.5kw K1500 is released, there will a cue waiting as per usual
> with
> Elecraft releases. Present k3 owners, I think would rather see a KPA1500
> for
> their k3, rather than a K4, which will have what else besides size
> perhaps?
> The K-line is modelled on the size of the K3 so K4 looks very unlikely to
> me.
>
> Adrian ... vk4tux

Re: K4 (was: amp)

Vic Rosenthal
At some point there will need to be a K4. I'm sure that Elecraft will keep improving the
K3 with firmware and hardware upgrades for some time, but one day there will be enough
improvements possible with newer technology and new ideas that a complete redesign will be
the best way to incorporate them.

After all, the competition doesn't sit still.

On 4/27/2012 10:03 PM, Adrian wrote:

> No keep the K3 updated and improved, it is a great alrounder that doesnt break the back
> or bank balance. All K3 owners feel they have the lastest at all times due to
> Elecrafts marvellous hardware and firmware updates available to all.
>
> If a 6k 1.5kw K1500 is released, there will a cue waiting as per usual with Elecraft
> releases. Present k3 owners, I think would rather see a KPA1500 for their k3, rather
> than a K4, which will have what else besides size perhaps? The K-line is modelled on
> the size of the K3 so K4 looks very unlikely to me.
>
> Adrian ... vk4tux

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: K4

Vic Rosenthal
Following my previous message, I thought I would speculate on what a K4 might be, despite
my complete lack of inside information.

Elecraft understands their market and I think they will keep more or less the same
physical size and price point as the K3. I also suspect that Wayne will never design
something that is big and heavy or consumes a lot of power. Any Elecraft transceiver has
to be at home in the field as well as in a fixed station.

I expect that a K4 would have the same general architecture as the K3, but might include
some higher-performance pieces such as a better first mixer or an ADC converter that can
handle stronger signals. Alternatively it might even be a 'pure' SDR if it's possible to
get the performance that way. The main CPU and DSP units will be certainly be more powerful.

There will be changes in the user interface. I am not sure how Wayne will do it, but the
market wants dedicated band buttons. Maybe it will end up just a little bigger than the K3.

I think we are talking evolution rather than revolution. Maybe they will take a page from
Apple and call it the K3s instead of K4!

Again, I have absolutely no inside information, just thinking out loud.

On 4/28/2012 8:11 AM, Vic K2VCO wrote:
> At some point there will need to be a K4. I'm sure that Elecraft will keep improving the
> K3 with firmware and hardware upgrades for some time, but one day there will be enough
> improvements possible with newer technology and new ideas that a complete redesign will be
> the best way to incorporate them.
>
> After all, the competition doesn't sit still.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: K4

Edward R Cole
When I bought my K3/10 (w/sub-Rx) at near $3K I promised my wife this
was "the last radio I would buy in my life"!  So, OK, I lied (fibbed
is nicer) and bought a KX3.  But my intention is still the same: the
K3 promised non-obsolescence since it was a SDR in its
heart.  Elecraft has more than met the challenge with a solid stream
of firmware upgrades/improvements.

I am aware that hardware will continue to evolve and in time some of
the components of the K3 will become "old stuff".  But I am hoping
that the K3 line will be extended new life with module upgrades when
that occurs vs obsolescense by bringing out a "K4" which I will most
certainly not be able to afford (I robbed my 401K for the K3).

After having my K3 for two years I have come to believe it is the
best radio one can get at any price.  If the hardware can be improved
thru upgrades along with firmware improvements I see there being no
reason to abandon the K3 (it will be the K4).

So this is my way of gently lobbying for this approach vs the new
model run-out business model.  The computer industry does this
already too much.

AS far as a 1.5kW sspa I am not in that market so does not play a
part in my purchasing behavior.  I might some day opt for the KPA500
if running 270w seems too "feeble"...but not likely since I was
having plenty fun at 12w with the K3/10.

I am one of the non-HF users of the K3 whose ranks are
increasing.  The K3 (and now the KX3) have come under notice of eme
and VHF/mw users who will invest their kw$ on the higher frequencies
6m+.  My upcoming paper on using the KX3+KX3-2M as IF radio for mw
will help encourage those folks to look at Elecraft products.

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Re: K4

Mike Markowski-2
On 04/28/2012 04:01 PM, Edward R. Cole wrote:
> [...] If the hardware can be improved
> thru upgrades along with firmware improvements I see there being no
> reason to abandon the K3 (it will be the K4). [...]

Perusing a hacker site, it seems a group has broken into the Elecraft
inner sanctum and posted brainstorming emails on the next rig: while the
RF hardware is similar, under consideration are an ultra high resolution
touch screen so that virtual buttons and knobs are displayed and changed
with various modes and choices.  Display options include cw skimming,
auto-contest (human involvement optional), heuristic "split following"
for dx'ers.  Optional voice recognition module not only obeys commands
but offers reminders, if needed, to not yell into mic or overdo
compression.  In fact, an expert system builds up response patterns, cw
& phone, and over time can respond intelligently for you allowing you to
finish your favorite beverage while operating.  Note: All lies.

73,
Mike ab3ap

Re: K4

Keith Heimbold
A completely ubiquitous system that integrates directly into the brain allowing operators complete freedom to operate locally, remotely and elsewhere hands free. CW by eye blinking.

Keith
AG6AZ

Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos

On Apr 28, 2012, at 1:46 PM, "Mike Markowski" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/28/2012 04:01 PM, Edward R. Cole wrote:
>> [...] If the hardware can be improved
>> thru upgrades along with firmware improvements I see there being no
>> reason to abandon the K3 (it will be the K4). [...]
>
> Perusing a hacker site, it seems a group has broken into the Elecraft
> inner sanctum and posted brainstorming emails on the next rig: while the
> RF hardware is similar, under consideration are an ultra high resolution
> touch screen so that virtual buttons and knobs are displayed and changed
> with various modes and choices.  Display options include cw skimming,
> auto-contest (human involvement optional), heuristic "split following"
> for dx'ers.  Optional voice recognition module not only obeys commands
> but offers reminders, if needed, to not yell into mic or overdo
> compression.  In fact, an expert system builds up response patterns, cw
> & phone, and over time can respond intelligently for you allowing you to
> finish your favorite beverage while operating.  Note: All lies.
>
> 73,
> Mike ab3ap

Re: K4

Arthur Burke
Kind of like that famous (infamous?) programming capability:

START
TURN ON ALL DEBUGGING
DO WHAT I'M THINKING
GOTO $TART

Art - N4PJ

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Keith Heimbold <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A completely ubiquitous system that integrates directly into the brain
> allowing operators complete freedom to operate locally, remotely and
> elsewhere hands free. CW by eye blinking.
>
> Keith
> AG6AZ
>
> Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos
>
> On Apr 28, 2012, at 1:46 PM, "Mike Markowski" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On 04/28/2012 04:01 PM, Edward R. Cole wrote:
> >> [...] If the hardware can be improved
> >> thru upgrades along with firmware improvements I see there being no
> >> reason to abandon the K3 (it will be the K4). [...]
> >
> > Perusing a hacker site, it seems a group has broken into the Elecraft
> > inner sanctum and posted brainstorming emails on the next rig: while the
> > RF hardware is similar, under consideration are an ultra high resolution
> > touch screen so that virtual buttons and knobs are displayed and changed
> > with various modes and choices.  Display options include cw skimming,
> > auto-contest (human involvement optional), heuristic "split following"
> > for dx'ers.  Optional voice recognition module not only obeys commands
> > but offers reminders, if needed, to not yell into mic or overdo
> > compression.  In fact, an expert system builds up response patterns, cw
> > & phone, and over time can respond intelligently for you allowing you to
> > finish your favorite beverage while operating.  Note: All lies.
> >
> > 73,
> > Mike ab3ap
> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: K4

Michael D. Adams
Even though I'm still a couple of days away from receiving my K3, I can
think of one possible enhancement for a K4:  license Siri from Apple.

Imagine the possibilities:  "Siri, where in the pile-up is that DX station
working?"  "Siri, find me a good run frequency."

--
Michael D. Adams (AB1OD)
Poquonock, Connecticut | [hidden email]

Re: K4

Bill Frantz
Hmmmm. I've been trying to figure out the best way of using the
band switching on modern radios. In my use, it is an impediment
to using different modes. Most of the time, when I switch to the
20 meter band, I arrive set up for the PSK sub-band. If I want
to use CW or SSB, I have to make a bunch of changes to things
like mode, filter bandwidth, frequency etc. etc. If I had been
doing CW or SSB the last time I used 20 meters, I have to change
them all back.

Now memories let me do most of what I need, but I still haven't
figured out how to organize memories for both specific things
like repeater frequencies and CTCSS or net frequencies, as well
as band switching in a way that I can figure out which memory
holds what I want.

I think if I had an array of band buttons, I would want them
subservient to the current mode, so I could easily jump from 20M
PSK to 40M PSK. I would also want separate modes for RTTY and
each of the other digital modes. If I did much AM, I would want
to separate AM and SSB.

All of this is quite doable with radio firmware. There is a
significant question of whether I would really like a radio that
works as I described, or if I would want yet more changes. :-0

If I install the internal 2M transverter, do I get a new front
panel button? What about external transverters? New FCC
authorized bands? :-)

More seriously, I see a possible K4 as a radical change from the
K3. If we could get AtoD converters with 140+ dB dynamic range
and 100 mega-samples/second, we might see a very interesting
radio. If we had narrow-band VHF roofing filters, we might see
an up-converting radio instead of the K3 "middle" conversion radio.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV