cables for digital/dayton

va3bxg
so just came back from Dayton and found out a couple of things.

1) neither west mountain nor signallink external sound cards have cables
for the new KX3

2) so given that i will try to set up the radio with using the internal
IMAC stereo line in for digital But the manual is light on the set up. I
assume that the output of the radio (read phone jack) goes into the in
line of the mac? but i figure there is another cable needed to transmit
the digital, i hope to create/write. so where does that cable go from
(from mac head phone to mic of the radio?

I also have a USB cable to the ACC1 jack of the radio that should be
able to control it (CAT commands)

any help would be appreciated

Re: cables for digital/dayton

Tom Azlin N4ZPT-2
I just use an unterminated SignaLink cable ( half an Ethernet jumper)
and put on the right connectors that I purchased on-line.

I also used an iMic with a couple jumper cables of the right
terminations but got funny noise so that is what led me to the SignaLink
since I had one. Got the isolation I needed and works fine. 73

I did not connect the PTT inside the SignaLink, or rather I have a added
in switch to connect or disconnect that line. I use the USB to KX3
control cable with flrig to control the KX3 using the K3 setting.

73, tom n4zpt

On 5/22/2012 9:44 PM, Robert Galambos wrote:

> so just came back from Dayton and found out a couple of things.
>
> 1) neither west mountain nor signallink external sound cards have cables
> for the new KX3
>
> 2) so given that i will try to set up the radio with using the internal
> IMAC stereo line in for digital But the manual is light on the set up. I
> assume that the output of the radio (read phone jack) goes into the in
> line of the mac? but i figure there is another cable needed to transmit
> the digital, i hope to create/write. so where does that cable go from
> (from mac head phone to mic of the radio?
>
> I also have a USB cable to the ACC1 jack of the radio that should be
> able to control it (CAT commands)
>

> any help would be appreciated
>
> 73

Re: KX3 cables for digital/dayton

Paul Womble
An email this week from Tigertronics said KX3 cables should be available by
mid June.

Paul K4FB

Re: cables for digital/dayton

Robert,

The USB cable to ACC1 will indeed provide you with CAT control of the KX3.

I do not understand "IMAC stereo line in" - I only discuss in acronyms
that are defined in the KX3 manual, and "IMAC" is not one of them.

Yes, you will have to build your own cables.  There may be KX3 specific
cables offered further down the road, but that is not today's situation.
  A cable from the interface audio output to the KX3 microphone input
and a cable from the KX3 headphone output to the interface Audio input
should be all that is required.  If you have a cable from the computer
usb or serial port, that cable can provide keying of the KX3, but
without that cable, VOX is a viable solution, so use it unless you have
other considerations.

On 5/22/2012 9:44 PM, Robert Galambos wrote:

> so just came back from Dayton and found out a couple of things.
>
> 1) neither west mountain nor signallink external sound cards have cables
> for the new KX3
>
> 2) so given that i will try to set up the radio with using the internal
> IMAC stereo line in for digital But the manual is light on the set up. I
> assume that the output of the radio (read phone jack) goes into the in
> line of the mac? but i figure there is another cable needed to transmit
> the digital, i hope to create/write. so where does that cable go from
> (from mac head phone to mic of the radio?
>
> I also have a USB cable to the ACC1 jack of the radio that should be
> able to control it (CAT commands)
>

> any help would be appreciated
>
> 73

Re: cables for digital/dayton

va3bxg

Sorry

I have an Apple IMAC running fusion win 7 64 bit

On 12-05-22 10:41 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Robert,
>
> The USB cable to ACC1 will indeed provide you with CAT control of the
> KX3.
>
> I do not understand "IMAC stereo line in" - I only discuss in acronyms
> that are defined in the KX3 manual, and "IMAC" is not one of them.
>
> Yes, you will have to build your own cables.  There may be KX3
> specific cables offered further down the road, but that is not today's
> situation.  A cable from the interface audio output to the KX3
> microphone input and a cable from the KX3 headphone output to the
> interface Audio input should be all that is required.  If you have a
> cable from the computer usb or serial port, that cable can provide
> keying of the KX3, but without that cable, VOX is a viable solution,
> so use it unless you have other considerations.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 5/22/2012 9:44 PM, Robert Galambos wrote:
>> so just came back from Dayton and found out a couple of things.
>>
>> 1) neither west mountain nor signallink external sound cards have cables
>> for the new KX3
>>
>> 2) so given that i will try to set up the radio with using the internal
>> IMAC stereo line in for digital But the manual is light on the set up. I
>> assume that the output of the radio (read phone jack) goes into the in
>> line of the mac? but i figure there is another cable needed to transmit
>> the digital, i hope to create/write. so where does that cable go from
>> (from mac head phone to mic of the radio?
>>
>> I also have a USB cable to the ACC1 jack of the radio that should be
>> able to control it (CAT commands)
>>

>> any help would be appreciated
>>
>> 73

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: cables for digital/dayton

va3bxg
Bob

This is forwarded to the list as it was only sent to me, and I do not have an answer. Maybe someone else does on the list

Sent from my iPad

On 2012-05-22, at 23:52, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone found a 3.5mm 4-conductor cable with shield in what I would call a traditional location -- the Sleve?  It seems like the iPhone and Video cables put the shield on Ring 2.  I have some bare connectors, but figured it would be easier to cut an existing cable apart and solder/heat shrink that to the SignaLink cable, than try and solder the connector on.
>
> Tigertronics had first article cables for the KX3, but they were not right-angle, so they have redone them and say they will be out later this summer.  It is suggested that a 47uF 16V cap be put in series with the mic line to block the DC bias from the KX3 (in case you forget to turn it off -- which I am likly to do).  Put the + end toward the KX3 line and the - end toward the SignaLink.
>
> Until then I've got the smallest tip I could find for my Weller iron lots of tiny heat-shrink and four connectors -- hopefully one of them will make it 'alive'
>
> 73, Bob, WB4SON

Re: cables for digital/dayton

Tom Azlin N4ZPT-2
Nope is my answer. I got several of those iPhone and video cables from
different vendors and they are all whacky. so I am guessing that all the
video/audio cables with the TRRS connector are wired the same way. Could
not find a single cable with sleeve as ground for the three cables that
connect to tip and the two rings.

I have yet to find what I think is a "nice" right angle 3.5 mm TRRS
plug. did get several with a clip on plastic cover that will not stay
straight. Also on my SignaLink I put in a small DPDT switch that I used
to turn on or off the PTT ( and for switching between 1200 and 9600 bps
packet lines) so just put that in the PTT circuit and turned it off. On
my simply interface I just did not connect the two PTT lines and use the
USB to KX3 cable to control the KX3 via CAT.

73, tom n4zpt

On 5/23/2012 6:39 AM, Robert Galambos wrote:

> Bob
>
> This is forwarded to the list as it was only sent to me, and I do not
> have an answer. Maybe someone else does on the list
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 2012-05-22, at 23:52, Bob<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Has anyone found a 3.5mm 4-conductor cable with shield in what I
>> would call a traditional location -- the Sleve?  It seems like the
>> iPhone and Video cables put the shield on Ring 2.  I have some bare
>> connectors, but figured it would be easier to cut an existing cable
>> apart and solder/heat shrink that to the SignaLink cable, than try
>> and solder the connector on.
>>
>> Tigertronics had first article cables for the KX3, but they were
>> not right-angle, so they have redone them and say they will be out
>> later this summer.  It is suggested that a 47uF 16V cap be put in
>> series with the mic line to block the DC bias from the KX3 (in case
>> you forget to turn it off -- which I am likly to do).  Put the +
>> end toward the KX3 line and the - end toward the SignaLink.
>>
>> Until then I've got the smallest tip I could find for my Weller
>> iron lots of tiny heat-shrink and four connectors -- hopefully one
>> of them will make it 'alive'

Re: cables for digital/dayton

WB4SON
Thanks Tom,

"On my simply interface I just did not connect the two PTT lines and use
the USB to KX3 cable to control the KX3 via CAT."  That sounds like good
advice and therefore I will leave it disconnected as well, as I certainly
will be using the CAT cable at the same time anyway.

Yeah, the right-angle connectors I purchased from Mouser have plastic
covers that snap in place, that the moment a wire is installed through the
cover, it cover unsnaps.  That is the biggest advantage to buying a
pre-made cable -- they are insert molded and strain-reliefed.

I know that Elecraft has their hands full, but providing right-angle
adapter cables, and perhaps prewired molded connectors with short
unterminated cables for the Mic might be a reasonable thing to offer as an
optional purchased "Connector Kit".  As you said, none of the TRRS cables I
have found have the shield tied to the shell, and the quality of the
"blank" connectors is dubious at best.

Thanks for the good suggestion.

73, Bob, WB4SON

73, Bob, WB4SON

Re: cables for digital/dayton

Tom Azlin N4ZPT-2
Hi Bob,

One of the Elecraft guys said they did plan to provide some sort of
jumper cables. Maybe even they could provide right angle connectors of
the various types used on the KX3.

I just decided to not way. and yes, I got the same kind Mouser sells.

73, tom n4zpt

On 5/23/2012 3:10 PM, Bob wrote:

> Thanks Tom,
>
> "On my simply interface I just did not connect the two PTT lines and use
> the USB to KX3 cable to control the KX3 via CAT."  That sounds like good
> advice and therefore I will leave it disconnected as well, as I
> certainly will be using the CAT cable at the same time anyway.
>
> Yeah, the right-angle connectors I purchased from Mouser have plastic
> covers that snap in place, that the moment a wire is installed through
> the cover, it cover unsnaps.  That is the biggest advantage to buying a
> pre-made cable -- they are insert molded and strain-reliefed.
>

> I know that Elecraft has their hands full, but providing right-angle
> adapter cables, and perhaps prewired molded connectors with short
> unterminated cables for the Mic might be a reasonable thing to offer as
> an optional purchased "Connector Kit".  As you said, none of the TRRS
> cables I have found have the shield tied to the shell, and the quality
> of the "blank" connectors is dubious at best.
>
> Thanks for the good suggestion.
>
> 73, Bob, WB4SON

Re: cables for digital/dayton

va3bxg
I talked to wayne at dayton. And he said that was a plan.

Now the question is how long? With all the other stuff they are doing

Robert

a 'kosher' ham
Sent from my BlackBerry device

On 5/23/2012 3:10 PM, Bob wrote:

> Thanks Tom,
>
> "On my simply interface I just did not connect the two PTT lines and use
> the USB to KX3 cable to control the KX3 via CAT."  That sounds like good
> advice and therefore I will leave it disconnected as well, as I
> certainly will be using the CAT cable at the same time anyway.
>
> Yeah, the right-angle connectors I purchased from Mouser have plastic
> covers that snap in place, that the moment a wire is installed through
> the cover, it cover unsnaps.  That is the biggest advantage to buying a
> pre-made cable -- they are insert molded and strain-reliefed.
>

> I know that Elecraft has their hands full, but providing right-angle
> adapter cables, and perhaps prewired molded connectors with short
> unterminated cables for the Mic might be a reasonable thing to offer as
> an optional purchased "Connector Kit".  As you said, none of the TRRS
> cables I have found have the shield tied to the shell, and the quality
> of the "blank" connectors is dubious at best.
>
> Thanks for the good suggestion.
>
> 73, Bob, WB4SON

Re: cables for digital/dayton

w7go
I bought a couple of CALRAD 30-257 right angle, 3.5mm, 4 cond. plugs.
A bit larger but all metal and seem well built.

73,
Tony W7GO

Re: cables for digital/dayton

WS5K
A source for the appropriate mic jack for the KX3 would be very much appreciated.  I also found only jacks with the shields set to ring two.  Initially I thought that I must just be misreading the description!

I received an email from Tigertronics on Sunday stating that:
"We are finalizing our new KX3 cable now and should have it available about a week before field-day.  We will post an update to our web site's "What's New?" page as soon as it is available.

And yes, it uses a right-angle plug as recommended by Elecraft (you had asked about this earlier).  Enjoy the rest of your weekend!"

Stan
WS5K