high-power tuner

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
All,

I find myself finally admitting that I need an antenna tuner that supports
high power.  I run a K3/P3 combo with an Ameritron AL-811H amp.  Since we
are still waiting on word about pricing and release date for the KAT500, I
find myself looking at other alternatives for a 1 - 1.5 KW auto tuner.
What are others using?  Several people I know have had issues with the LDG
AT-1000PRO, so I probably want to stay away from that one.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

73,

-- Ian
Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Roswell, GA  EM74ua
[hidden email]
K3 #281, P3 #688

Re: high-power tuner

Bill Hammond

Hi Ian,
Many of us are in that boat.  I don't believe the KTA500 is vaperware.  I'm just cooling my heals for the reason you cited, unreliable products from the competition.  I want good products and great support from people that care about their customers.  That is worth the wait, even if it is until the end of the year.  Heck the K3 tuner will load a hairpin, I would expect the KTA500 will as well.  If I just couldn't wait any longer ,I think I would find a manual tuner to hold me over (one that had a good resale value). :)
73,
Bill
AK5X

On Feb 24, 2012, at 8:05 AM, Ian Kahn wrote:

> All,
>
> I find myself finally admitting that I need an antenna tuner that supports
> high power.  I run a K3/P3 combo with an Ameritron AL-811H amp.  Since we
> are still waiting on word about pricing and release date for the KAT500, I
> find myself looking at other alternatives for a 1 - 1.5 KW auto tuner.
> What are others using?  Several people I know have had issues with the LDG
> AT-1000PRO, so I probably want to stay away from that one.
>
> Thanks in advance for the advice.
>
> 73,
>
> -- Ian
> Ian Kahn, KM4IK
> Roswell, GA  EM74ua
> [hidden email]
> K3 #281, P3 #688

Bill Hammond
[hidden email]
Bill Hammond-AK5X
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
K3 #69
P3 #817
KPA500 # 149
K2/100 #4637
K1 #2033
KX1 #1023
T1

Re: high-power tuner

Jim Brown-10
On 2/24/2012 6:05 AM, Ian Kahn wrote:
> What are others using?  Several people I know have had issues with the LDG
> AT-1000PRO, so I probably want to stay away from that one.

I found the AT-1000 lacking and sold it when LDG could not improve it
(and kept it for three months).

I strongly recommend the Ten Tec 229 and 238 tuners, which can be bought
used for around $275 and $300 respectively.  Essentially the same,
different appearance.  Manual tuner, rated for legal limit. L-section
design, so they tend to produce a match with greater bandwidth than
T-section tuners. The only PITA about these tuners is the dial cord.

73, Jim K9YC.

Re: high-power tuner

wayne burdick
We're just making sure performance is as good as possible. (The stakes
are even higher in a QRO tuner.)

The most recent prototype worked great, in general, but on 6 meters we
felt the  loss was a fraction of a dB too high. The PCB layout has
been changed to cut the RF path length and strays by a factor of two,
which should do the trick. We'll receive these boards in a week or so
and should have test results a week after that. This suggests that we
could have some field test units out in mid/late-March.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Feb 24, 2012, at 8:23 AM, Bill Hammond wrote:

> Hi Ian,
> Many of us are in that boat.  I don't believe the KTA500 is
> vaperware.  I'm just cooling my heals for the reason you cited,
> unreliable products from the competition.  I want good products and
> great support from people that care about their customers.  That is
> worth the wait, even if it is until the end of the year.  Heck the
> K3 tuner will load a hairpin, I would expect the KTA500 will as
> well.  If I just couldn't wait any longer ,I think I would find a
> manual tuner to hold me over (one that had a good resale value). :)
> 73,
> Bill
> AK5X
>

> On Feb 24, 2012, at 8:05 AM, Ian Kahn wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I find myself finally admitting that I need an antenna tuner that
>> supports
>> high power.  I run a K3/P3 combo with an Ameritron AL-811H amp.
>> Since we
>> are still waiting on word about pricing and release date for the
>> KAT500, I
>> find myself looking at other alternatives for a 1 - 1.5 KW auto
>> tuner.
>> What are others using?  Several people I know have had issues with
>> the LDG
>> AT-1000PRO, so I probably want to stay away from that one.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for the advice.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> -- Ian
>> Ian Kahn, KM4IK
>> Roswell, GA  EM74ua
>> [hidden email]
>> K3 #281, P3 #688
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

> Bill Hammond
> [hidden email]
> Bill Hammond-AK5X
> [hidden email]
> [hidden email]
> K3 #69
> P3 #817
> KPA500 # 149
> K2/100 #4637
> K1 #2033
> KX1 #1023
> T1

Re: high-power tuner

Bruce Beford-2

Thanks for the update on the KAT500 development, Wayne. In the meantime, I'm
using an MFJ-988 satisfactorily.

73,
Bruce, N1RX

> We're just making sure performance is as good as possible. (The stakes
> are even higher in a QRO tuner.)

> The most recent prototype worked great, in general, but on 6 meters we
> felt the  loss was a fraction of a dB too high. The PCB layout has
> been changed to cut the RF path length and strays by a factor of two,
> which should do the trick. We'll receive these boards in a week or so
> and should have test results a week after that. This suggests that we
> could have some field test units out in mid/late-March.

> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: high-power tuner

Gary Ferdinand
Ian,

Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat:  Looking for an antenna tuner that
*truly* supports high power.  I was hoping the Palstar balanced tuner
BT1500A was it, but I found it less than robust when processing 1500 W.  The
tuner (fine print) is not spec'd for 1500 continuous, so forget RTTY/etc and
beware full power tune-ups.  The input balun toasts quite nicely.  Also, the
relay that switches the large section of the capacitor in/out failed on me,
with the inner insulation of that relay bubbling up out of the core.  The
tuner ought to run relays energized forever. Mine did not.  I had left it
configured that way (ten meters) overnight. My bad, apparently.  YMMV of
course.

If you ever find one that will tolerate 1.5 kW into various loads, please
post it.

FYI, I'm using that tuner to match to a 260' dipole, center fed with nominal
600-ohm OWL (constructed using Ladder Snaps).

73 and GL!

Gary W2CS

>All,
>
>I find myself finally admitting that I need an antenna tuner that
>supports high power.  I run a K3/P3 combo with an Ameritron AL-811H amp.
>Since we are still waiting on word about pricing and release date for
>the KAT500, I find myself looking at other alternatives for a 1 - 1.5 KW
>auto tuner.
>What are others using?  Several people I know have had issues with the
>LDG AT-1000PRO, so I probably want to stay away from that one.
>
>Thanks in advance for the advice.
>
>73,
>
>-- Ian
>Ian Kahn, KM4IK

Re: high-power tuner

Jim Brown-10
On 2/24/2012 8:57 AM, Gary Ferdinand wrote:
> is not spec'd for 1500 continuous, so forget RTTY/etc and
> beware full power tune-ups.

Few power amps are rated for1.5kW continuous.  Yes, there are a few,
like some Alpha models.  Most are rated for 1.5kW intermittent duty, and
should be de-rated by a few dB for keydown modes.

The Ten Tec tuners I mentioned fall into that category too -- indeed,
there are a few fixed caps that will release smoke when run at 1.5kW
into some loads for long periods during a contest, but those caps are
easily replaced with parts rated for more current, and the replacements
are not expensive.

Folks should be more patient with Elecraft -- they are well known for
taking enough time with engineering both at the design and manufacturing
stage to produce a product we'll be happy to own, as Wayne's recent
post  in this thread clearly illustrates.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: high-power tuner

w9gb
Banned User
Ian -

I have been watching product developments

I this power/automatic operation category:

Palstar HF-AUTO

http://www.palstar.com/hf-auto.php

RF Concepts/Alpha 4040 Automatic Tuner

http://www.rfconcepts.com/PRODUCTS/New-Products/Alpha4040

E-Z Tuner - Jim Garland, W8ZR

(2002 QST article and ARRL Handbooks)

http://www.w8zr.net/eztuner/index.htm

I made a suggestion to Steve at RF Concepts, a couple of years ago,

when RF Concepts was planning a high-power HF automatic tuner.

They needed to incorporate more uProcessor/controller power (since W8ZR
Basic Stamp)

in their planned offering, since the state-of-art has progressed since 2002.

They did, using Linux kernel with the Beagleboard XM

The Palstar and RF Concepts/Alpha offerings are INDOOR tuners.

I have a preference to have the tuner outdoors at the antennas

or feedpoints (like commercial broadcasters).

==

IF Wayne, N6NR is coming to Dayton -

it would be nice to SEE one of the KAT500 prototypes

==

Greg, w9gb

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 08:32:58 -0800

From: Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]>

Subject: Re: [Elecraft] high-power tuner

To: Bill Hammond <[hidden email]>

> We're just making sure performance is as good as possible. (The stakes

> are even higher in a QRO tuner.)

> The most recent prototype worked great, in general, but on 6 meters we

> felt the  loss was a fraction of a dB too high. The PCB layout has

> been changed to cut the RF path length and strays by a factor of two,

> which should do the trick. We'll receive these boards in a week or so

> and should have test results a week after that. This suggests that we

> could have some field test units out in mid/late-March.

> 73,Wayne - N6KR

Re: high-power tuner

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Wayne, thank you for the update on the KAT500 progress.  While I won't be
at Dayton, I, too, would love to see at least photos of the prototype
posted to the web site.

All others - Thank you for the suggestions.  Fortuitously, I actually was
offered, at no charge, a legal limit manual inductor roller tuner.  Since
this one is free, I'll take it and bide my time until Wayne, Eric, and
Company release the KAT500.

73,

--Ian
 Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Roswell, GA  EM74ua
[hidden email]
K3 #281, P3 #688

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Greg Beat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ian -
>
> I have been watching product developments
>
> I this power/automatic operation category:
>

> Palstar HF-AUTO
>
> http://www.palstar.com/hf-auto.php
>

> RF Concepts/Alpha 4040 Automatic Tuner
>
> http://www.rfconcepts.com/PRODUCTS/New-Products/Alpha4040
>

> E-Z Tuner - Jim Garland, W8ZR
>
> (2002 QST article and ARRL Handbooks)
>
> http://www.w8zr.net/eztuner/index.htm
>

> I made a suggestion to Steve at RF Concepts, a couple of years ago,
>
> when RF Concepts was planning a high-power HF automatic tuner.
>
> They needed to incorporate more uProcessor/controller power (since W8ZR
> Basic Stamp)
>
> in their planned offering, since the state-of-art has progressed since
> 2002.
>
> They did, using Linux kernel with the Beagleboard XM
>

> The Palstar and RF Concepts/Alpha offerings are INDOOR tuners.
>
> I have a preference to have the tuner outdoors at the antennas
>
> or feedpoints (like commercial broadcasters).
>
> ==
>
> IF Wayne, N6NR is coming to Dayton -
>
> it would be nice to SEE one of the KAT500 prototypes
>

> ==
>
> Greg, w9gb

> Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 08:32:58 -0800
>
> From: Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]>
>
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] high-power tuner
>
> To: Bill Hammond <[hidden email]>
>

> > We're just making sure performance is as good as possible. (The stakes
>
> > are even higher in a QRO tuner.)
>

> > The most recent prototype worked great, in general, but on 6 meters we
>
> > felt the  loss was a fraction of a dB too high. The PCB layout has
>
> > been changed to cut the RF path length and strays by a factor of two,
>
> > which should do the trick. We'll receive these boards in a week or so
>
> > and should have test results a week after that. This suggests that we
>
> > could have some field test units out in mid/late-March.
>

> > 73,Wayne - N6KR

Re: high-power tuner

Gary Ferdinand

RTTY/etc and beware full
>> power tune-ups.
>
>Few power amps are rated for1.5kW continuous.  Yes, there are a few,
>like some Alpha models.  Most are rated for 1.5kW intermittent duty, and
>should be de-rated by a few dB for keydown modes.

My mistake, I guess.  I run an Alpha 9500.  A true 1.5 kW tuner is important
to me at least.

>The Ten Tec tuners I mentioned fall into that category too -- indeed,
>there are a few fixed caps that will release smoke when run at 1.5kW
>into some loads for long periods during a contest, but those caps are
>easily replaced with parts rated for more current, and the replacements
>are not expensive.

Good to hear. But if a tuner is advertised to handle 1500 W, it should do so
without user mods.

>Folks should be more patient with Elecraft -- they are well known for
>taking enough time with engineering both at the design and manufacturing
>stage to produce a product we'll be happy to own, as Wayne's recent post
>in this thread clearly illustrates.

The original poster talked about 1500 W.  Is Elecraft considering such a
tuner?  That would be new (and great!) news to me.  For some reason I was
under the assumption it would handle around 500 W.

Re: high-power tuner

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
10:1 SWR at 500w equals the same internal antenna current and voltage in
the tuner for about a 3:1 SWR at 1500W :-)

73,

Eric
---
www.elecraft.com

On 2/24/2012 11:59 AM, Gary Ferdinand wrote:

> [...]

Phil Salas
I've had a MFJ-998 autotuner for about 3.5 years now.  It works great, and
it is easy to upgrade its software (a new upgrade just became available).
The most power I've put through it is 1200 watts feeding my 43-foot
vertical, though now I'm only using it with my KPA500.  I have a review on
my website at www.ad5x.com, as well as a mod whereby it feeds the
amp-disable input on my KPA500 when it tunes.

Phil - AD5X

Re: high-power tuner

W5RDW
Ditto on the MFJ-998 autotuner. I have had mine a few years and now use it with the KPA500. It has matched anything I have thrown at it. A little on the noisy side when it gets a hold of a load it has to work on a little, but it has always done what I want it to do.
Roger W5RDW

Re: high-power tuner

David Gilbert

Just curious ... have you ever measured the loss in the tuner?  Most of
the MFJ tuners tend to rank pretty low in that respect.  Presenting a
usable load to the amplifier does not in itself make it a good tuner.

73,
Dave   AB7E

On 3/1/2012 11:16 AM, W5RDW wrote:
> Ditto on the MFJ-998 autotuner. I have had mine a few years and now use it
> with the KPA500. It has matched anything I have thrown at it. A little on
> the noisy side when it gets a hold of a load it has to work on a little, but
> it has always done what I want it to do.
>
> -----
> Roger W5RDW

Re: high-power tuner

Tony Estep
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 1:25 PM, David Gilbert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>...Most of  the MFJ tuners tend to rank pretty low ...
===========
QST hasn't reviewed the 998, but they did have a review of the MFJ 994
back in 2006. Tested across all bands and a range of impedances, it
generally showed lower losses than the other similar autotuners
tested, made by Palstar and LDG. There is a mini-review of the 998 by
list member AD5X at:

http://www.ad5x.com/images/Presentations/MFJ998%20Review%20RevA.pdf

but it doesn't include loss measurements. Other than the loss
measurements for the 994 mentioned above, which looked pretty good, I
can't find any other measured results for MFJ auto-tuners.

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

Re: high-power tuner

W5RDW
Never had any reason to wonder if my MFJ-998 has more than normal loss. It hasn't let any smoke out of the cabinet yet! I use to run a Drake L-7 thru it, but now use the KPA500 all the time and have retired the Drake.

> Most of the MFJ tuners tend to rank pretty low in that respect.

Dave, I'd be interested in reading about the info you have on the MFJ tuner loss.
Roger W5RDW

Re: high-power tuner

Cookie
I wonder how those that claim a certain efficiency for a MFJ-998 or any other antenna matching device are measuring the output power.  No watt meter that I know including the famous and antique Bird can measure power with any degree of accuracy unless the load is very near the nominal value (usually 50 ohms).  If you need a tuner, your antenna does not meet this criteria so, what are you using to form your opinion?  I suppose that you could compare two tuners for a relative efficiency by using the same transmitter and antenna and a field strength meter.  Of course, if you are running near the rated power, you can watch for smoke and get a one time opinion that the device was not efficient enough to survive.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart

________________________________

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 4:24 PM, WILLIS COOKE <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I wonder how those that claim a certain efficiency for a MFJ-998 or any other antenna matching device are measuring the output power....
============
Cookie, the ARRL labs have some way of doing this, but in their
reviews of tuners they don't explain how they do it. I suppose they
have some scheme for measuring what goes in and what comes out, but
they don't say. However, as I mentioned in a previous post, the MFJ
994 tuner they tested (August 2006) had somewhat lower losses than the
other similar tuners in the review. I could not find any published
data to support the assertion that MFJ tuners have high losses.

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

Re: high-power tuner

Mike WA8BXN
I can think of a few  ways to investigate a tuner's efficiency. Google
searching can probably give more.

You can read the inductor and capacitor values selected by the 998 and then
do a circuit simulation of the L network and determine current through the
inductors to find their ohmic losses.

Second, you can connect known non-inductive resistors (of different values,
throw in some inductance or capacitance too) as the output load and then
with an RF voltmeter determine the voltage across the load and then
calculate the power out. You will have to calculate the phase angle of your
load as well if its not purely resistive. This method could be done using
low power so its easier to build the output loads.

You could probably also measure the temperature rise of the tuner in
operation (put it in an insulated box).

Granted, there may not be a simple off the self instrument to do it, but it
can be done!

73 - Mike WA8BXN

Re: high-power tuner

k6dgw
On 3/9/2012 2:24 PM, WILLIS COOKE wrote:

> If you need a tuner, your
> antenna does not meet this criteria so, what are you using to form
> your opinion?

Weigh the tuner, then transmit continuously, measure the temperature
rise, and when it's stable, calculate the heat loss [something to do
with Boltzman's Constant -- the tuner *is* painted black].  What doesn't
leave as heat must leave as RF.  Did it years ago on a 10 KW FM
broadcast transmitter [4 ea 4-1000's], and it came within one percent of
the efficiency measured with the water-cooled dummy load.  YMMV however.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org