kpa 500

William H. Droeger, Jr.
Has anybody heard how much power out the k3/10  will drive the kpa500
amp to?  As mostly a qrper it might be nice to have a lil juice once
in a while.  I can get 12w max out of my k3/10 and was hoping since
the kpa500 is a solid state amp, I might get 400-500 watts out of it
with 12 watts of drive. Thanks-Skip KT9T

Re: kpa 500

Byron N6NUL
Well, let's see if I can do this right:  15 db = 10 log (Pout / 12 watts)

where 15db is the FCC maximum allowed gain.  Assuming that 12 watts
will drive the KPA500, we solve for Pout as:  12 watts * 10^1.5 = 379
watts

So, if I did the calculation correctly, that would be legal maximum. I
would suspect the gain to be less, perhaps in the 200-300 watt range
for no other reason than it feels right to my mind. There may also
have been an email from Lyle that mentioned something in the 200 watt
range, but I'm not sure.

73, Byron N6NUL

--
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011

Re: kpa 500

Guy, K2AV
There is still an FCC limit of 15 db.  Turning that around, the
smallest legal amount of drive to put out 500 watts would be 15.8
watts.

73, Guy.

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 7:11 PM, William H. Droeger, Jr.
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anybody heard how much power out the k3/10  will drive the kpa500
> amp to?  As mostly a qrper it might be nice to have a lil juice once
> in a while.  I can get 12w max out of my k3/10 and was hoping since
> the kpa500 is a solid state amp, I might get 400-500 watts out of it
> with 12 watts of drive. Thanks-Skip KT9T

Re: kpa 500

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: kpa 500

Bob Cunnings NW8L
FWIW this was posted back in September:

http://www.mail-archive.com/elecraft@.../msg102741.html

"The KPA500 requires 30 to 40 watts for full output."

which puts gain at 12dB or so.

Bob NW8L

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 5:11 PM, William H. Droeger, Jr.
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anybody heard how much power out the k3/10  will drive the kpa500
> amp to?  As mostly a qrper it might be nice to have a lil juice once
> in a while.  I can get 12w max out of my k3/10 and was hoping since
> the kpa500 is a solid state amp, I might get 400-500 watts out of it
> with 12 watts of drive. Thanks-Skip KT9T

Re: kpa 500

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
Is there any way making the 100watt PA kick in before 12 watts?  My IC2KL
needs about 12W for 400W output, and I'd prefer to be using the KPA100 amp
at 12W then pushing the low power PA.  OTOH, which would give the cleanest
signal at 12W, the low power or the high power PA?

73, doug

packing tomorrow to leave VK9NN

> And if you care about transmitting the cleanest signal, you'll hold the
> K3/10 output to 10 watts PEP. Squeezing higher power out degrades the IMD.
> The Power control provides some additional room to be sure everyone can
> make
> the rated 10 watts.
>
> The same is true for the K2/10.
>
> Ron AC7AC

Re: kpa 500

Jon Kåre Hellan
On 12/17/2010 01:25 AM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
> There is still an FCC limit of 15 db.  Turning that around, the
> smallest legal amount of drive to put out 500 watts would be 15.8
> watts.

.. in the United States.

73
Jon LA4RT

> 73, Guy.
>
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 7:11 PM, William H. Droeger, Jr.
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Has anybody heard how much power out the k3/10  will drive the kpa500
>> amp to?  As mostly a qrper it might be nice to have a lil juice once
>> in a while.  I can get 12w max out of my k3/10 and was hoping since
>> the kpa500 is a solid state amp, I might get 400-500 watts out of it
>> with 12 watts of drive. Thanks-Skip KT9T
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: kpa 500

hf4me
"Squeezing higher power out degrades the IMD."

SO...  The "10 watt" amp feeds the 100 w PA?  Does it get fed with 10 watts
or 12 watts?  What does that mean to the IMD of the 100 w PA by the cause of
the degraded IMD being fed into the PA?

73, de Jim KG0KP

> And if you care about transmitting the cleanest signal, you'll hold the
> K3/10 output to 10 watts PEP. Squeezing higher power out degrades the IMD.
> The Power control provides some additional room to be sure everyone can
> make
> the rated 10 watts.
>
> The same is true for the K2/10.
>
> Ron AC7AC

Re: kpa 500

Dave, G4AON
 From my measurements, the IMD of both the K3 100W PA and the 10W amp
improve by around 10 dB at 1/4 power. In my shack running the K3 at 20 ~
25 Watts works very well into an Acom 1000 linear for the UK power limit
of 400 Watts.

73 Dave, G4AON
K3/100 #80
--------------------------------

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: kpa 500

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

kpa 500 + 6 metre pre amp

Johnny Siu
Hello Group,

K3's RX sensitivity in 6 metre is relatively low so that a PR6 is required.

Is it possible to put a RX pre-amp inside the KPA500 so as to streamline the
cabling among the options?

 cheers,

Johnny VR2XMC