kpa500

haircutter@verizon.net
Can't say enuff about the KPA500. Works like a charm. Smooth as silk!! Only one thing bugs me.. hi hi
Wish the buttons were GRAY like the K3 and the P3. With my old eyes I have to get up close at times to find the on button  :-))

Don...w2xb

Re: kpa500

Bob-270
That is nit-picking!  However I had the same thought about the buttons.  Even if
not to get contrast
between the buttons and panel just to match for esthetics so it more closely
looks like the KPA500
was part of the set..   What color will they be on the KAT500?

I'd buy a new set for the KPA500 if they were offered.....

Old eyes here too.  Sure will be happy when the already ordered SVGA adapter
shows up.

73,
Bob
K2TK    ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR

On 1/19/2012 4:53 PM, W2XB wrote:
> Can't say enuff about the KPA500. Works like a charm. Smooth as silk!! Only
> one thing bugs me.. hi hi
> Wish the buttons were GRAY like the K3 and the P3. With my old eyes I have
> to get up close at times to find the on button  :-))
>
> Don...w2xb

Re: kpa500

Andy Faber
I agree.  I'd like to see a replacement kit offered (ok to charge for it)
with buttons that have some contrast.  Particularly in dim light, they are
hard to see.
73, andy ae6y

On 1/19/2012 4:53 PM, W2XB wrote:
> Can't say enuff about the KPA500. Works like a charm. Smooth as silk!!
> Only
> one thing bugs me.. hi hi
> Wish the buttons were GRAY like the K3 and the P3. With my old eyes I have
> to get up close at times to find the on button  :-))
>
> Don...w2xb

Re: kpa500

Joe K2UF
Don,

I had the same problem,  even after cataract surgery this week.  I bought a
white marking pen at the local stationary/hobby store and put a 1/4 in. dot
in the middle of each button.  Problem solved.

73 Joe K2UF

No trees were harmed in the sending of this e-mail; however, many electrons
were inconvenienced.

Re: kpa500

Richard Squire - HB9ANM
Come on, the buttons are just below the corresponding figures/letters which are white...
And these are visible even in dim light.
Doesn't that provide enough contrast?

73
Richard - HB9ANM

Andy Faber wrote

On 1/19/2012 4:53 PM, W2XB wrote:
> Can't say enuff about the KPA500. Works like a charm. Smooth as silk!!
> Only
> one thing bugs me.. hi hi
> Wish the buttons were GRAY like the K3 and the P3. With my old eyes I have
> to get up close at times to find the on button  :-))
>
> Don...w2xb

Richard - HB9ANM

Re: kpa500 button color

KXBill

The gray buttons are used in all the other Elecraft products except the K2.  Maybe they had an over supply of black buttons when they first manufactured the KPA500?Anyway, to match the K3/P3, I prefer the gray.
Carry-on
Bill-w7kxb

Re: kpa500 button color

wayne burdick
Administrator
We put two amps side-by-side, one with gray, one with black. Black got
more votes.

We really wanted something in-between (dark gray), but that would have
required a custom run of switch caps from the manufacturer, with a
minimum order of 6 bazillion units or so.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Re: kpa500 button color

Dave Perry N4QS
I like the black buttons and love the amp!

Dave, N4QS

KPA500 Key Cap Color

Ed Muns, W0YK
The key caps used on the KPA500 switches are commonly available from
suppliers like Mouser for 8-13 cents each.  Colors are black, gray, white,
blue and red.  You can "have it your way" very easily and cheaply.

Ed - W0YK

Re: KPA500 Key Cap Color

Ed Muns, W0YK
Here are the Mouser part numbers:

Square caps:

612-4J-RD
E-Switch Switch Hardware
12 X 12MM SQ RED

612-4J-BK
E-Switch Switch Hardware
12 X 12MM SQ BLK

612-4J-GR
E-Switch Switch Hardware
12 X 12MM SQ GRAY

612-4J-WH
E-Switch Switch Hardware
12 X 12MM SQ WHT

Rectangular caps:

612-5JBLK
E-Switch Switch Hardware
RECT BLACK CAP

612-5J-WHT
E-Switch Switch Hardware
WHITE RECTANGLE CAP

612-5JGRY
E-Switch Switch Hardware
RECT GRAY CAP

612-5JRED
E-Switch Switch Hardware
RECT RED CAP

612-5JBLU
E-Switch Switch Hardware
RECT BLUE CAP

Ed - W0YK

Ed, W0YK, wrote:
> The key caps used on the KPA500 switches are commonly
> available from suppliers like Mouser for 8-13 cents each.
> Colors are black, gray, white, blue and red.  You can "have
> it your way" very easily and cheaply.

Re: [Elecraft_K3] KPA500 Key Cap Color

wayne burdick
Unless you want dark gray :(

Wayne

On Jan 20, 2012, at 1:01 PM, Ed Muns wrote:

> The key caps used on the KPA500 switches are commonly available from
> suppliers like Mouser for 8-13 cents each. Colors are black, gray,
> white,
> blue and red. You can "have it your way" very easily and cheaply.
>
> Ed - W0YK
>

> __._,_.___
> Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New
> Topic
> Messages in this topic (1)
> RECENT ACTIVITY:
> • New Members 10
> Visit Your Group

> .
>
> __,_._,___

Re: kpa500 button color

N5GE

The black buttons are great!  I like the feel of them better than the ones on
the K3 and P3.

I also like the labels above each button that tell what it does.  They are
centered above the button they refer to and from using the amp for a day or so I
learned that each label is directly above the button it describes, making it
easy to hit them in low or even bright lighting.

73,
Tom
Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

"Only the white eyes would believe they could cut the top
off a blanket, sew it to the bottom and have a longer
blanket."

-- American Indian comment about Daylight Saving Time --

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 11:24:24 -0800, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:

>We put two amps side-by-side, one with gray, one with black. Black got
>more votes.
>
>We really wanted something in-between (dark gray), but that would have
>required a custom run of switch caps from the manufacturer, with a
>minimum order of 6 bazillion units or so.
>
>73,
>Wayne
>N6KR

>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: kpa500

Andy Faber
This is really a matter of personal preference.  I don't have my KPA500
right in front of me, and it's hard to find the Operate button at a glance,
particularly in dim light.  The buttons are small and in my shack seem to
blend into the black background.  But it may look different to you.
  73, andy ae6y

Come on, the buttons are just below the corresponding figures/letters which
are white...
And these are visible even in dim light.
Doesn't that provide enough contrast?

73
Richard - HB9ANM

Andy Faber wrote

> I agree.  I'd like to see a replacement kit offered (ok to charge for it)
> with buttons that have some contrast.  Particularly in dim light, they are
> hard to see.
> 73, andy ae6y

-----
Richard - HB9ANM

Re: kpa500

Joe K2UF
Earlier today I worked Vietnam in large part thanks to my KPA500.  He did
not seem to mind that I have a small white dot on each of the black buttons
on the KPA500 so I think I will leave them there.  When I am long gone and
My KPA500 goes up on eham the new owner (hopefully he/she has not been born
yet)can remove the dots or leave them.

73  Joe K2UF

No trees were harmed in the sending of this e-mail; however, many electrons
were inconvenienced.

Come on, the buttons are just below the corresponding figures/letters which
are white...
And these are visible even in dim light.
Doesn't that provide enough contrast?

73
Richard - HB9ANM

Andy Faber wrote

> I agree.  I'd like to see a replacement kit offered (ok to charge for it)
> with buttons that have some contrast.  Particularly in dim light, they are

> hard to see.
> 73, andy ae6y

-----
Richard - HB9ANM

Re: KPA500 Key Cap Color

Mike Maloney
One could also cut some easy to see peal and stick tape strips and put on the stock buttons detailing as desired.

Re: kpa500

Bob Wolbert, K6XX
My solution to the small OPER button? Use the menu command PWR ON > OPER to
tell the amp to go straight to operate mode when switched on. This way, the
large power button is the only control necessary. Whenever the amp is on, it
is ready and active.

73 de Bob, K6XX

Re: kpa500

Phil Hystad-3
But, its not like there is a whole array of buttons and you need to find just the right one.  Unless you are using the band switch buttons, there are only three buttons on the whole right half of the KPA500.  In fact, I think for most use, there are really only two buttons:  On/Off, and Oper/Stby.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Jan 20, 2012, at 3:58 PM, Bob Wolbert, K6XX wrote:

> My solution to the small OPER button? Use the menu command PWR ON > OPER to
> tell the amp to go straight to operate mode when switched on. This way, the
> large power button is the only control necessary. Whenever the amp is on, it
> is ready and active.
>
> 73 de Bob, K6XX

Re: kpa500

Gary Gregory
*I'm waiting for the suggestion to write on the buttons with a
multi-colored felt pen...TIC

Gary
*
On 21 January 2012 09:58, Bob Wolbert, K6XX <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My solution to the small OPER button? Use the menu command PWR ON > OPER to
> tell the amp to go straight to operate mode when switched on. This way, the
> large power button is the only control necessary. Whenever the amp is on,
> it
> is ready and active.
>
> 73 de Bob, K6XX

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

Re: KPA500 Key Cap Color

Phil Salas
"Here are the Mouser part numbers:"

Ed - Thanks for the info.  My Field Test KPA500 (SN12) had gray buttons
around the LCD display and for the operate/standby switch.  When I installed
all the hardware updates, I used these in my updated amplifier as I prefer
the gray color and contrast.  I'lll order the Mouser buttons for the
remainder of the buttons (band and power).  Again, my preferance - but I
like the looks and it is easier for my eyes to see the buttons.

Phil - AD5X

Re: KPA500 Key Cap Color

Terry Schieler
I'm with you, Phil.  I thought the guys had "missed" this one.  But that's not like them.  Glad to see they did market research to see what buttons were preferred.  But, I drank the "K-Line" marketing Kool-Aid, and, like the classic Collins S-Line, would prefer that all my K-Line buttons matched.

Terry, W0FM