kx3 and sdr software

Edward R Cole
Reggie,

A good question.  SDR programs need a driver for interfacing SDR
hardware so it will depend on development support for drivers.  But
there are an increasing number of SDR programs to chose
from.  Sometimes drivers created for other SDR can be used if they
share the same hardware chip with what is being used in the
KX3.  Maybe Eric or Wayne will reply.

I am in no way one to provide such drivers;  waiting just like
you!  Other SDR sw I use is Spectravue and Linrad.  I tried the early
version of SDR-1 and was not enthused for it.  PowerSDR and its
variants are probably popular one's.

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Re: kx3 and sdr software

Tony Estep
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Edward R. Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ...SDR programs need a driver for interfacing...

==========
If I understand it correctly, the KX3 puts out I-Q audio that can go
directly into a sound card, and has an RS232 port that can go directly to a
CAT connection on a computer.

Some SDR hardware receivers or transceivers interface with SDR programs via
USB to control frequency. An example is the Softrock Ensemble, which uses a
Si570 chip to generate the local oscillator frequency. The Si570 is tuned
via a USB connection which in turn is linked to a program like Rocky by a
driver. The Softrock does not have CAT control, and Rocky will not send CAT
commands.

But for the KX3, none of this is relevant. No drivers are needed. It will
be exactly like hooking up LP-Pan, which just needs a sound card and a
serial connection.

Tony KT0NY

Re: kx3 and sdr software

Edward R Cole
For simple receive-only SDR sw this will work as most have a
soundcard interface option, but I still see a problem controlling the
KX3 VFO, mode changing, and transmitter Keying without sw dependent
drivers for the KX3.  This is definitely out of my expertise but
based on getting new hardware to work with certain SDR programs.

I'm not saying it can't be done; I am saying a computer programmer
will have make a KX3 driver for some SDR sw out there.  LP-Pan is the
most simple of SDR and is not tuned and is receive-only.  Spectravue
controls the frequency in the SDR-IQ via USB.  I can use Spectravue
for the LP-Pan because the only connection needed is the soundcard
(which Spectravue supports).  But without a driver I still don't see
how Spectravue can control the KX3.  You say CAT (that's not a
universal standard, is it?).

I'm sure, in time, that sw programmers will support interfacing to
the KX3 from many of the SDR programs out there.  Initially, many do
support soundcard input as long as the KX3 VFO manually tuned and
transmitter manually keyed.

An example is JT-65 which probably will work if the KX3 support use
of RTS or DTR for keying PTT as modulation is via the soundcard and
reception is via a soundcard.  Probably most of the psk and rtty
programs will work for the same reason.

Linrad is complicated.  It will work for receive-only but when
combined with MAP-65 there is rig-control and I am uncertain that
will work with out a specific driver being added for MAP-65.

I have not used PowerSDR so cannot speculate on it.

Like I already said this is outside my expertise, so just a guess.

73, Ed - KL7UW

Message: 5