kx3 mic

John Cooper
On the new KX3 the mic is a stereo jack.  If I wanted to use the KX3 as my base radio is there any way to use it with a Heil ICM Mic which has the standard plug like on the K2?  Or will we be limited to the mic Elecraft will sell with it.

WT5Y

Also we are officially in Fall Winter time in TX so it should be on the order pages soon right?

Re: kx3 mic

Rick Tavan N6XI
The KX3 will not be limited to any proprietary mic or connector. You can use
any mic you like. You may have to buy or build a connector adapter. I
suspect Elecraft will offer an adapter for their own version of the Heil
Icom mic but I have no inside information to that effect.

/Rick N6XI

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 3:11 AM, John Cooper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On the new KX3 the mic is a stereo jack.  If I wanted to use the KX3 as my
> base radio is there any way to use it with a Heil ICM Mic which has the
> standard plug like on the K2?  Or will we be limited to the mic Elecraft
> will sell with it.
>
> WT5Y
>
> Also we are officially in Fall Winter time in TX so it should be on the
> order pages soon right?

Rick Tavan N6XI
Truckee, CA

Re: kx3 mic

John,

I recall that Wayne had a cute little plug-in microphone which had the
correct connector with his prototype KX3 at Dayton.  I assumed that
would be offered as an accessory.
It did not have a cord on it, it was just a little right angle
microphone that would be close to the KX3 enclosure.
I don't know about any other accessory adapters being planned, but there
may be one or more - we will have to wait and see.
Even if there is not an Elecraft adapter, an adapter cable would not be
difficult to construct.