n6kR and Field day..

Dave KK7SS
Wayne,

Did you run the KX3 on Field day?
If so... impressions and how kitted out??

--
Dave G  KK7SS
 Richland, WA

'59 Morris Minor 1000 - working on it..
'65 Sprite - in process :(
'76 Midget - co-owned with #4 Son :)
'06 Honda Civic Hybrid

Fwd: n6kR and Field day..

Dave KK7SS
Somehow a wholeline got dropped!!

It should ghave started with:-
"If you do Field day this year, please let us know if you"
and then the rest of the story!
> Did you run the KX3 on Field day?
> If so... impressions and how kitted out??

--
Dave G  KK7SS
 Richland, WA

'59 Morris Minor 1000 - working on it..
'65 Sprite - in process :(
'76 Midget - co-owned with #4 Son :)
'06 Honda Civic Hybrid

Re: n6kR and Field day..

wayne burdick
Dave KK7SS <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> Did you run the KX3 on Field day?

Yes. Several of the K6SRA club members and I gave it a good workout. The food, brew, and company were all excellent, too. My son (age 7) had a blast.

> If so... impressions....

Don't turn your back, or the rig will disappear :)  Everyone was very enthusiastic about the small size and ergonomics.

It performed very well, too. This was a 100-watt FD effort, but we ended up substituting the KX3 (at 5-10 W) for one of the "brand X" 100-W radios for most of the weekend. We made contacts on both CW and SSB, with excellent signal quality reports. One op had it running JT65 on 20 m, and I made a contact using it hand-held with a 4-foot whip.

Personally, I'm finding that the KX3 really is the "dream" all-band/all-mode portable we've been envisioning for the past 15 years. The technology finally caught up with our impossible design spec.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Re: n6kR and Field day..

Ross Primrose N4RP
On 6/29/2011 11:14 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
> It performed very well, too. This was a 100-watt FD effort, but we ended up substituting the KX3 (at 5-10 W) for one of the "brand X" 100-W radios for most of the weekend.

Does that mean that the 100W amp isn't even at prototype stage yet?

> Personally, I'm finding that the KX3 really is the "dream" all-band/all-mode portable we've been envisioning for the past 15 years. The technology finally caught up with our impossible design spec.

And there was much rejoicing!

73, Ross N4RP

--
FCC Section 97.313(a) “At all times, an amateur station must use the minimum transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications.”

Re: n6kR and Field day..

W5CEM
YES, and the heavens opened and a great light shown down on the K6SRA FD ops and the KX3.

I'm hoping to unload enuf extra stuff at a hamfest in CO SPRINGS in a couple of weeks to start my KX3 slushfund!

cleve/W5CEM