noise blanker

Petr, OK1RP/M0SIS
Hi,

according to preview discussion on noise blanker of K3 I decided to
write few words also as I have lot of experiences with that I guess...
My antennas are really close to electric fence (just few metres)
so the pulses on all bands with K3 are over S9+20dB !

A few points as the results of my tests and final settings
which I am using on my K3 untill now.

1. Only the combination of the dsp and IF is able to kill the el.fence
pulses
2. dsp/t1-7 does not help in my case with any combination of IF values
3. IF NAR/MED/WID does not help if values are lower than 4...
4. dsp/t2-5,6,7 or t3-5,6,7 values are really agressive and it
suppressing
the pulses effectively if its in combination with IF setting MED or WID
with
higher than 4 values.

My standard setting to be able to live on the bands together with
el.fence
close to my antennas is:
dsp t3-5
IF WID4

In case of dry weather I must switch to:
dsp t3-7
IF WID5

THE MAIN PROBLEM IS that with the values higher than 5 on dsp/IF it
affecting
the receiving signals a lot. Even strong sigs on the bands are coloured
a lot
and its not copyable for speed higher than 30 wpm.
The weak signals are destroyed with agressive dsp/IF setting so much
that its
useless on lowbands unfortunately.

I am NOT anxious or even dissapointed with that as Elecraft boys still
working
on the DSP/IF noise blanker function code I guess and it takes time to
debug it.

73, Petr OK1RP
K3 #778
--
Petr Ourednik
[hidden email]

73 - Petr, OK1RP
"Apple & Elecraft freak"
B:http://ok1rp.blogspot.com
MeWe: https://bit.ly/2HGPoDx
MeWe: https://bit.ly/2FmwvDt

Re: noise blanker

N5GE
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:55:54 +0200, "Petr Ourednik" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>

>My antennas are really close to electric fence (just few metres)
>so the pulses on all bands with K3 are over S9+20dB !

Ouch!

Solution 1:

Take one pickup truck and tie the back bumper to the fence with an insulated
rope.  Jump in the cab and pull the fence as far as you can away from your QTH
and destroy the charger.

Solution 2.

Help your neighbor find a fence charger that is not so noisy.

Solution 3.

Move to another location.

All the above is tongue in cheek.

Tom, N5GE - SWOT 3537 - Grid EM12jq

"Those who would give up
Essential Liberty to
purchase a little Temporary
Safety deserve neither
Liberty nor Safety"

An excerpt from a letter
written in 1755 from the
Assembly to the Governor
of Pennsylvania.

Support the entire Constitution, not
just the parts you like.

http://www.n5ge.com
http://www.eQSL.cc/Member.cfm?N5GE

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: noise blanker

ab2tc
Hi,

Just for the record, my standard setting is:

DSP t2-5
IF MED3

This is really effective for my power line noise. There are cases where the noise starts to come back when there are strong (SSB) signals in the passband but normally it remains blanked even then.

Knut - AB2TC

Petr Ourednik-2 wrote
Hi,

according to preview discussion on noise blanker of K3 I decided to
write few words also as I have lot of experiences with that I guess...
My antennas are really close to electric fence (just few metres)
so the pulses on all bands with K3 are over S9+20dB !

A few points as the results of my tests and final settings
which I am using on my K3 untill now.

1. Only the combination of the dsp and IF is able to kill the el.fence
pulses
2. dsp/t1-7 does not help in my case with any combination of IF values
3. IF NAR/MED/WID does not help if values are lower than 4...
4. dsp/t2-5,6,7 or t3-5,6,7 values are really agressive and it
suppressing
the pulses effectively if its in combination with IF setting MED or WID
with
higher than 4 values.

<snip>

OT: Electric fences

Ken Kopp-3
Electric fence chargers don't (normally) cause noise.
Its the installation of the wires they feed that causes
noise.

There are two kinds of chargers ... one generates a
quick pulse ... a "pop" ... and the other generates a
longer burst of energy and makes a "bzzzt" sound.
The later is often called a "weed burner".  It's intent
is to burn away any weed that grows into contact with
the fence.

I have had good luck with asking / offering the owner
if I can fix the fence, with an emphasis on "it will work
better when I'm through".

They're almost always put up poorly, with no knowledge
of how to do the job correctly.  Joints are made by simply
making two loops together like one would link two index
fingers together.  These need to be twisted ... tightly.
Ditto for the tie-wires used to fasten wire to insulators.

Sometimes there are -NO- insulators used on wood fence
posts, and I have found the charged wire stapled to the
post.  If the staple isn't tight, a tiny arc will result.  This is
one common source of "power line noise" on power line
distribution system pole ground wires, BTW.  It's been known
to set poles ablaze. There are insulated gate hooks that are
fine sources of noise.

Look at an electric fence as an antenna and construct it
in the same way.  It will be much more likely to be "quiet".

Again, the noise isn't from the charger ... it's generated
along the wire.  Carrying an AM radio along the fence may
be helpful  and is useful in illustrating to the fence owner what
you're talking about.  He/she may already be aware of the
noise and not know the source. (:-))

73! Ken Kopp - K0PP
      [hidden email]

Re: noise blanker

Jim Wiley-2
Solution 4:

Remind the neighbor that interference from an electric fence is not
permitted.  Even though such interference falls under the umbrella of
"incidental radiation", it still must not interfere with the operation
of a licensed radio station.  There are some fairly recent (within the
past 5 years or so) cases where the FCC got involved in this type of
problem, and some substantial fines were assessed.   A search of QST
archives should turn up some of Riley's correspondence on these issues.

Attempting to work out the issues with the neighbor may be useful, as
electric fences are not supposed to radiate, and there may be repair
actions that can substantially reduce or eliminate the problem.
However, I  advise  anyone with this sort of problem that the only
assistance you should provide is in identification of the noise source,
and monitoring to verify that repairs have been effective.

Do not under any circumstances attempt to repair the equipment
yourself!  Not only can such equipment generate hazardous voltages,  if
you make a repair, successful or not,  you could find yourself liable
for damages should anyone subsequently be injured by this same system.
You could also find yourself sued for the cost of later repair or
replacement under the assumption that since you are not a professional
service person for the device, whatever you did "caused" any subsequent
problems.

- Jim, KL7CC

Re: OT: Electric fences

Greg - AB7R
I gotta chime in here.  I have an electric fence.  It is put up correctly, and it
does pop on the radio.  It is nice though that the K3 noise blanker either
eliminates it or at least reduces it to a manageable level...usually depends on the
band.

-------------------------
73,
Greg - AB7R
Whidbey Island WA
NA-065

On Thu Aug 21 14:19 , "Ken Kopp"  sent:

>Electric fence chargers don't (normally) cause noise.
>Its the installation of the wires they feed that causes
>noise.
>
>There are two kinds of chargers ... one generates a
>quick pulse ... a "pop" ... and the other generates a
>longer burst of energy and makes a "bzzzt" sound.
>The later is often called a "weed burner".  It's intent
>is to burn away any weed that grows into contact with
>the fence.
>
>I have had good luck with asking / offering the owner
>if I can fix the fence, with an emphasis on "it will work
>better when I'm through".
>
>They're almost always put up poorly, with no knowledge
>of how to do the job correctly.  Joints are made by simply
>making two loops together like one would link two index
>fingers together.  These need to be twisted ... tightly.
>Ditto for the tie-wires used to fasten wire to insulators.
>
>Sometimes there are -NO- insulators used on wood fence
>posts, and I have found the charged wire stapled to the
>post.  If the staple isn't tight, a tiny arc will result.  This is
>one common source of "power line noise" on power line
>distribution system pole ground wires, BTW.  It's been known
>to set poles ablaze. There are insulated gate hooks that are
>fine sources of noise.
>
>Look at an electric fence as an antenna and construct it
>in the same way.  It will be much more likely to be "quiet".
>
>Again, the noise isn't from the charger ... it's generated
>along the wire.  Carrying an AM radio along the fence may
>be helpful  and is useful in illustrating to the fence owner what
>you're talking about.  He/she may already be aware of the
>noise and not know the source. (:-))
>
>73! Ken Kopp - K0PP
>      [hidden email]
>
>Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
>Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: OT: Electric fences

Ken Kopp-3
Hi Greg,

I have three within a block of me that I've "fixed" and aren't
a problem ... BUT none on my own property. (:-))  Isn't this
a form of self-inflicted injury?

I've heard that most critters ... once bit ... never approach
the fence again.  Maybe that would work in your case, or
maybe intermittent operation would fool 'em.

73! Ken

RE: noise blanker

Bill Johnson-9
I have found that if there are weeds growing near any of the wires, the
noise will arc.  I suggested to my neighbor that I could hear his fence and
what caused the issue.  He took care of it... for awhile.... Maybe the old
pony will pass in the next couple of years and that will be the end of it.
I use the DSP with some limited effect because it creates more artifacts
than it cures with the fence noise.  Oh, my TS-2000 has the same issue...
worse, actually.

I like solution 1!  Just if I could pull it off without the horse noticing
me!

72,

Bill

K9YEQ
K2 #35, K2 # 5279, KX1 #35, Mini Modules, etc.

wrote:

>Hi,
>

>My antennas are really close to electric fence (just few metres)
>so the pulses on all bands with K3 are over S9+20dB !

Ouch!

Solution 1:

Take one pickup truck and tie the back bumper to the fence with an insulated
rope.  Jump in the cab and pull the fence as far as you can away from your
QTH
and destroy the charger.

Solution 2.

Help your neighbor find a fence charger that is not so noisy.

Solution 3.

Move to another location.

All the above is tongue in cheek.

OT: Electric fence fix

Ken Kopp-3
Perhaps a midnight excursion to install an "invisible" ground
would do the trick.  Just remember to hook up the ground end
FIRST!

Once bit, many critters never approach an electric fence again.

73!  Ken Kopp - K0PP
      [hidden email]

Re: OT: Electric fences

W8JI
> Again, the noise isn't from the charger ... it's generated
> along the wire.  Carrying an AM radio along the fence may
> be helpful  and is useful in illustrating to the fence
> owner what
> you're talking about.  He/she may already be aware of the
> noise and not know the source. (:-))

While it is true most problems seem to be caused by bad
connections in the fence, the most severe problem I had with
an electric fence was caused by a charger! The charger was
sent back and the replacement charger produced exactly the
same problem. I put RF chokes on it, ferrite beads, you name
it.

My neighbor switched to a different brand and the problem
vanished.

I've generally had varying success with an AM broadcast
radio, but a VHF aircraft radio always lets me walk right up
to the bad area.

73 Tom

RE: OT: Electric fences

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Even more OT: Electric fences

Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
Ken Kopp wrote:

> I've heard that most critters ... once bit ... never approach
> the fence again.  Maybe that would work in your case, or
> maybe intermittent operation would fool 'em.

A few years ago I was living down in Albuquerque in the North
Valley area. This is horse country, and my property adjoined a
small rancho where riding horses were stabled. One of the horses
struck up a friendship with my border collie Meg, and would come
over to the fence to hang out with her.

One day I decided to go out and give him an apple, to see if I
could make friends with him, too. I knew there was an electric
fence wire there, but when I touched it gingerly, nothing
happened. I assumed it was dead and had been abandoned, like so
many other old electric fences I had seen as a kid growing up in
the countryside of upstate New York.

Anyway, I had to reach my arm well through the fence to reach the
horse. He liked the apple and whickered softly, coming a little
closer. I got a left-handed grip on the wire fencing to steady
myself and reached out to pet him on his nose with the other.
ZAAAPPP!!! Both the horse and I jumped backwards reflexively. I
yelped, he whinnied. What had happened?

The fence wasn't dead; in fact, it was thoroughly functional. I
felt nothing when touching it because I was wearing rubber-soled
sneakers; the horse, however, was wearing iron horseshoes. The
current went from the wire through my left arm, my chest, and my
right arm to the horse's nose, down through the horse to his
horseshoes and into the damp ground.

He never came around again to hang out with Meg. I felt awful
about it, but there was not much I could do. :-(  He had learned
his lesson, to my sorrow, and I had learned mine: Don't ever
assume an electric fence is dead!

This fence, BTW, produced no noise on 6 meters that I could
detect.

Bill W5WVO

Re: OT: Electric fence fix

Joe Planisky
Hmmmm.  So let's make a fence charger that doesn't turn on the high
voltage until it senses something touching the fence.

Joe KB8AP

On Aug 21, 2008, at 5:41 PM, Ken Kopp wrote:

> Once bit, many critters never approach an electric fence again.

Re: OT: Electric fences

WILLIS COOKE
I have a pulse noise that I thought was a fence charger, but it is to the north and the only electric fence that I have found is south east.  In another internet discussion someone mentioned that he had traced a similar interference to a blinking caution light.  Sure enough I have a blinking caution light 1.5 miles to the north.  Fortunately for me the interference is very light and can only be heard on a nearly dead band.  Fence chargers are not the only source of a pulse with about one second interval.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ

> > Again, the noise isn't from the charger ...
> it's generated
> > along the wire.  Carrying an AM radio along the fence
> may
> > be helpful  and is useful in illustrating to the fence
>
> > owner what
> > you're talking about.  He/she may already be aware
> of the
> > noise and not know the source. (:-))
>
> While it is true most problems seem to be caused by bad
> connections in the fence, the most severe problem I had
> with
> an electric fence was caused by a charger! The charger was
> sent back and the replacement charger produced exactly the
> same problem. I put RF chokes on it, ferrite beads, you
> name
> it.
>
> My neighbor switched to a different brand and the problem
> vanished.
>
> I've generally had varying success with an AM broadcast
>
> radio, but a VHF aircraft radio always lets me walk right
> up
> to the bad area.
>
> 73 Tom

RE: Even more OT: Electric fences

Terry Schieler
Ken,

I'd also bet that the incident spoiled that horse on apples for life!

Terry, W0FM

> I've heard that most critters ... once bit ... never approach
> the fence again.  Maybe that would work in your case, or
> maybe intermittent operation would fool 'em.

A few years ago I was living down in Albuquerque in the North
Valley area. This is horse country, and my property adjoined a
small rancho where riding horses were stabled. One of the horses
struck up a friendship with my border collie Meg, and would come
over to the fence to hang out with her.

One day I decided to go out and give him an apple, to see if I
could make friends with him, too. I knew there was an electric
fence wire there, but when I touched it gingerly, nothing
happened. I assumed it was dead and had been abandoned, like so
many other old electric fences I had seen as a kid growing up in
the countryside of upstate New York.

Anyway, I had to reach my arm well through the fence to reach the
horse. He liked the apple and whickered softly, coming a little
closer. I got a left-handed grip on the wire fencing to steady
myself and reached out to pet him on his nose with the other.
ZAAAPPP!!! Both the horse and I jumped backwards reflexively. I
yelped, he whinnied. What had happened?

The fence wasn't dead; in fact, it was thoroughly functional. I
felt nothing when touching it because I was wearing rubber-soled
sneakers; the horse, however, was wearing iron horseshoes. The
current went from the wire through my left arm, my chest, and my
right arm to the horse's nose, down through the horse to his
horseshoes and into the damp ground.

He never came around again to hang out with Meg. I felt awful
about it, but there was not much I could do. :-(  He had learned
his lesson, to my sorrow, and I had learned mine: Don't ever
assume an electric fence is dead!

This fence, BTW, produced no noise on 6 meters that I could
detect.

Bill W5WVO

RE: Even more OT: Electric fences

Terry Schieler
Sorry, meant for Bill.

> I've heard that most critters ... once bit ... never approach
> the fence again.  Maybe that would work in your case, or
> maybe intermittent operation would fool 'em.

A few years ago I was living down in Albuquerque in the North
Valley area. This is horse country, and my property adjoined a
small rancho where riding horses were stabled. One of the horses
struck up a friendship with my border collie Meg, and would come
over to the fence to hang out with her.

One day I decided to go out and give him an apple, to see if I
could make friends with him, too. I knew there was an electric
fence wire there, but when I touched it gingerly, nothing
happened. I assumed it was dead and had been abandoned, like so
many other old electric fences I had seen as a kid growing up in
the countryside of upstate New York.

Anyway, I had to reach my arm well through the fence to reach the
horse. He liked the apple and whickered softly, coming a little
closer. I got a left-handed grip on the wire fencing to steady
myself and reached out to pet him on his nose with the other.
ZAAAPPP!!! Both the horse and I jumped backwards reflexively. I
yelped, he whinnied. What had happened?

The fence wasn't dead; in fact, it was thoroughly functional. I
felt nothing when touching it because I was wearing rubber-soled
sneakers; the horse, however, was wearing iron horseshoes. The
current went from the wire through my left arm, my chest, and my
right arm to the horse's nose, down through the horse to his
horseshoes and into the damp ground.

He never came around again to hang out with Meg. I felt awful
about it, but there was not much I could do. :-(  He had learned
his lesson, to my sorrow, and I had learned mine: Don't ever
assume an electric fence is dead!

This fence, BTW, produced no noise on 6 meters that I could
detect.

Bill W5WVO

Re: Re: OT: Electric fences

k6dgw
I don't have any but several of my neighbors do.  I told them my problem
and asked if they would mind if I just ran their fence line and fixed
whatever I found every now and then.  All welcomed me.  The problem is
almost always an arc to the T-post, a tree trunk, a tall weed that has
grown up under the wire, and the like.

Greg - AB7R wrote:
> I gotta chime in here.  I have an electric fence.  It is put up correctly, and it
> does pop on the radio.  It is nice though that the K3 noise blanker either
> eliminates it or at least reduces it to a manageable level...usually depends on the

Yep.  One of the fences is over a mile long, and even though it is
installed well and I've been its entire length and it is clear of arcs
and bad splices, I can still hear it weakly.  Ordinarily, the current
drawn from the charger on a pulse is miniscule ... it's just a voltage
pulse.  I suspect that the long fence exhibits enough capacitance that
it actually does draw current from the charger on each pulse, and Pwr =
Voltage X Current.  The K3 NB gets rid of all of it.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2008 Cal QSO Party  4-5 Oct 08
- www.cqp.org