power supply for KX3 and KXPA100

David Burmaster
Hi

next year, when i operate my new KX3 and KXPA100 from my home, what power supply will i need?

        115VAC to +13.8VDC  ?

        115VAC to +12VDC  ?

        115VAC to +12VDC and +5VDC ?

        other?

many thanks, and
73, dave, W1TM

Re: power supply for KX3 and KXPA100

Bruce Beford-2
<<< No Message Collected >>>

Re: power supply for KX3 and KXPA100

Dave,

Use the 13.8 volt supply.  That is close to the "typical" voltage for a
vehicle battery while being charged by the alternator.  Most amateur
gear is designed for that voltage - and we often refer to it as a "12
volt supply" even though it is really 13.8 volts - like we refer to a 12
volt (6 cell) lead acid battery even though it typically produces 13.2
volts when fully charged (2.2 volts per cell).

Typical maximum voltages for Elecraft gear go as high as 15 volts, and
anything up to that level can be used.  The higher voltages result in
lower transmit IMD, so they are recommended over lower voltages.