power switch problem

M0XDF
My K3 appears to have developed a power switch problem - it won't turn
off.
While away on Scout camp last week, I allowed another 2 hams to work
the K3 while I was not present (one is quite young and the other an
adult) - later on, one of them noticed that the K3 had turned itself
on (after they had turned it off and walked away). The K3 was working
correctly for the first few days and as far as I know, was not
'bounced' around while sitting on the table during the week. All
functions appear correct except for this.

After investigation, I found I can not turn it off. Pressing the power
button results in one of the following behaviours:

Most common: LCD just shows background colour (light is on), LEDs are
off, effectively the rig is off (no AF etc), but the LCD is not and I
can't turn it back on with a press of the power button.

Occasionally: K3 turns off correctly, but then turns back within a
matter of seconds.

Less occasionally: as above, but turns back on after a few minutes.

Rarely: Appears to turn off as per first scenario, but LCD flickers.

To resolve this, I have to pull out the power cord and plug it back
in, in which case the K3 turns on - so it's like the power switch is
permanently on.

This is not the ALARM function. In fact, I tried the alarm to see if
it would turn on correctly - it won't, but it did bleep at me when I
pulled the power out the back and plugged it back in.

I have tried a 'master reset' holding the power switch in, it make no
different, doesn't reset and doesn't turn off etc.

In preparation for the reset, I went through and noted all the config
settings, changing a couple on the way. After that, the K3 turned off
ok, but came back on after a few minutes.

Holding the power switch while applying power results in the LEDs
coming on, but nothing else.

I thought this might have been a problem with dampness, but the rig
has been in my indoor shake for 3 days now. I also considered supply
voltage, since at camp I was using a L/A battery, but its back on the
13.615v supply now (I have a Medusa Research Power Analyzer).

I'm about to install the KRX3, so will be taking it apart, but would
prefer to resolve this first.
Any suggestions?

This has been working perfectly since December.
73 de M0XDF, K3 #174

--
Study without desire spoils the memory, and it retains nothing that it
takes in.  -- Leonardo da Vinci

Re: power switch problem

M0XDF
Done that twice now and no difference. I have not experienced any
problems with the 'electronics' before.
--
There is no pillow so soft as a clear conscience. -French proverb

On 5 Aug 2008, at 14:57, Dave Martin wrote:

> I'd try reloading the firmware, including the "DSP data tables".  My
> #605 did some crazy things when it was new until I did this.
> Apparently the K3 is subject to memory corruption.
>
> 73,
> Dave
> W5DHM

Re: power switch problem

w7aqk
David,

Your problem sounds EXACTLY like the one I had with my K3 (#96).  I went
through the same sequence of events as you seem to be experiencing.
Initially, the K3 started turning back on by itself; then later it wouldn't
turn off at all, and had to be unplugged from power to turn it off
completely.  When it wouldn't turn off, the LCD remained dimly lit, but no
audio, etc.  Removing power and then plugging power back in again
effectively recycled the radio, but the "power button" was not used at all.
For a time the K3 would suddenly return to normal operation with the power
switch functioning correctly, but this happened only a few times, and didn't
last for very many cycles.   Other than the problem of powering the radio on
and off, the radio worked just fine.  All of this sounds like what you are
also experiencing.  Gary Surrency at Elecraft had me check various voltages,
etc., but nothing turned up the problem.  They even sent me a new front
panel to install, but that wasn't the problem either.  Ultimately I had to
return the K3 to Elecraft, as they felt it was probably something on the
main board that would have to be serviced.  The repair itself was performed
by Rene in Aptos.  He determined that there was a problem with a "leaky"
component, on the I/O board I believe.

In any event, Elecraft is aware of this issue, and can readily solve it.
Hopefully they can do it now without you having to return the radio, which
would be more of a problem for you since you are in the U.K.  I suggest you
contact either Gary or Rene at Elecraft support.  You might mention to them
that we have corresponded, and that your problem seems identical to the one
I experienced.  In your case they may just send you a new I/O board,
assuming I am correct that it was where my problem existed.  There
apparently have been a couple of other similar cases that may not have
involved the I/O board, but still had the same symptoms.  Changing the front
panel apparently solved at least one problem that I am aware of.  If it is
the I/O board or front panel, you probably wouldn't need to send the radio
back to Elecraft.  The upside of returning the entire radio is that, besides
fixing your problem, they will go over it thoroughly, and probably make any
mods that have come out since your radio was shipped.  They did that for me.
My K3 is performing perfectly now.

Hope this helps, or at least gives you some comfort.  In any event, I doubt
seriously that your friends who borrowed your K3 did anything wrong.  It was
just coincidence that the problem occurred while in their possession.  I bet
they are feeling awful, thinking they might have caused the problem.

Dave W7AQK

> My K3 appears to have developed a power switch problem - it won't turn
> off.
> While away on Scout camp last week, I allowed another 2 hams to work  the
> K3 while I was not present (one is quite young and the other an  adult) -
> later on, one of them noticed that the K3 had turned itself  on (after
> they had turned it off and walked away). The K3 was working  correctly for
> the first few days and as far as I know, was not  'bounced' around while
> sitting on the table during the week. All  functions appear correct except
> for this.
>
> After investigation, I found I can not turn it off. Pressing the power
> button results in one of the following behaviours:
>
> Most common: LCD just shows background colour (light is on), LEDs are
> off, effectively the rig is off (no AF etc), but the LCD is not and I
> can't turn it back on with a press of the power button.
>
> Occasionally: K3 turns off correctly, but then turns back within a  matter
> of seconds.
>
> Less occasionally: as above, but turns back on after a few minutes.
>
> Rarely: Appears to turn off as per first scenario, but LCD flickers.
>
> To resolve this, I have to pull out the power cord and plug it back  in,
> in which case the K3 turns on - so it's like the power switch is
> permanently on.
>
> This is not the ALARM function. In fact, I tried the alarm to see if  it
> would turn on correctly - it won't, but it did bleep at me when I  pulled
> the power out the back and plugged it back in.
>
> I have tried a 'master reset' holding the power switch in, it make no
> different, doesn't reset and doesn't turn off etc.
>
> In preparation for the reset, I went through and noted all the config
> settings, changing a couple on the way. After that, the K3 turned off  ok,
> but came back on after a few minutes.
>
> Holding the power switch while applying power results in the LEDs  coming
> on, but nothing else.
>
> I thought this might have been a problem with dampness, but the rig  has
> been in my indoor shake for 3 days now. I also considered supply  voltage,
> since at camp I was using a L/A battery, but its back on the  13.615v
> supply now (I have a Medusa Research Power Analyzer).
>

> I'm about to install the KRX3, so will be taking it apart, but would
> prefer to resolve this first.
> Any suggestions?
>
> This has been working perfectly since December.
> 73 de M0XDF, K3 #174
>
> --
> Study without desire spoils the memory, and it retains nothing that it
> takes in.  -- Leonardo da Vinci

Re: power switch problem

M0XDF
David, thank you for that, from other mails, it looks very much like
the KIO3 board - removing it solves the proble, putting it back in and
the problem comes back.
Lyle has suggested just cleaning it might help, but I'd prefer to get
a replacement board since I think the problem would return at some
point.

Of my friends, I think only the adult would have been aware of the
problem and I'll let him know the outcome. I in no way blamed them. I
originally considered it might have been some odd combination of use,
but after investigations, clearly not.  As you say, purely
coincidence, perhaps brought on by field conditions and made worse by
not being present when the fault first appeared.
--
By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you
get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. -Socrates

On 5 Aug 2008, at 19:01, David Yarnes wrote:

> David,
>
> Your problem sounds EXACTLY like the one I had with my K3 (#96).  I
> went through the same sequence of events as you seem to be
> experiencing. Initially, the K3 started turning back on by itself;
> then later it wouldn't turn off at all, and had to be unplugged from
> power to turn it off completely.  When it wouldn't turn off, the LCD
> remained dimly lit, but no audio, etc.  Removing power and then
> plugging power back in again effectively recycled the radio, but the
> "power button" was not used at all. For a time the K3 would suddenly
> return to normal operation with the power switch functioning
> correctly, but this happened only a few times, and didn't last for
> very many cycles.   Other than the problem of powering the radio on
> and off, the radio worked just fine.  All of this sounds like what
> you are also experiencing.  Gary Surrency at Elecraft had me check
> various voltages, etc., but nothing turned up the problem.  They
> even sent me a new front panel to install, but that wasn't the
> problem either.  Ultimately I had to return the K3 to Elecraft, as
> they felt it was probably something on the main board that would
> have to be serviced.  The repair itself was performed by Rene in
> Aptos.  He determined that there was a problem with a "leaky"
> component, on the I/O board I believe.
>
> In any event, Elecraft is aware of this issue, and can readily solve
> it. Hopefully they can do it now without you having to return the
> radio, which would be more of a problem for you since you are in the
> U.K.  I suggest you contact either Gary or Rene at Elecraft
> support.  You might mention to them that we have corresponded, and
> that your problem seems identical to the one I experienced.  In your
> case they may just send you a new I/O board, assuming I am correct
> that it was where my problem existed.  There apparently have been a
> couple of other similar cases that may not have involved the I/O
> board, but still had the same symptoms.  Changing the front panel
> apparently solved at least one problem that I am aware of.  If it is
> the I/O board or front panel, you probably wouldn't need to send the
> radio back to Elecraft.  The upside of returning the entire radio is
> that, besides fixing your problem, they will go over it thoroughly,
> and probably make any mods that have come out since your radio was
> shipped.  They did that for me. My K3 is performing perfectly now.
>
> Hope this helps, or at least gives you some comfort.  In any event,
> I doubt seriously that your friends who borrowed your K3 did
> anything wrong.  It was just coincidence that the problem occurred
> while in their possession.  I bet they are feeling awful, thinking
> they might have caused the problem.
>
> Let me know if you have any other questions.
>
> Dave W7AQK
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Ferrington, M0XDF" <[hidden email]

Re: power switch problem - update

M0XDF
Thanks to all who responded to this thread. It looks like the problem
is an R.pack on the KIO3 board and Elecraft are sending me a
replacement. I will update the reflector once I get that. And will add
this to the Wiki.
--
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them,
and