question for psk31 users

KC6CNN
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: question for psk31 users

Donehrlich@q.com
Sidebars are a visual indication of signal distortion .. not the power
level being transmitted.  You have a signal *quality* issue which is
most often caused by overdriving .

Don K7FJ

On 4/30/2012 11:06 AM, KC6CNN wrote:

> I am now up and running on psk31.
> I had my power set to 25watts and all is well. If I try to increase it to 30
> watts, people say I have side bars. OK not sure what that is, but running 25
> watts.
> I see stations that say they are running 50 and even a 100 watts.
> How are they able to run so much power and I get the side bar things at 30
> watts.
>
> Guess I should ask also what are sidebars. lol
>
> Thanks
> Gerald - KC6CNN

Re: question for psk31 users

roncasa
On 04/30/2012 02:06 PM, KC6CNN wrote:
> I am now up and running on psk31.
> I had my power set to 25watts and all is well. If I try to increase it to 30
> watts, people say I have side bars. OK not sure what that is, but running 25
> watts.

you need to read this:

http://www.mymorninglight.org/ham/psk.htm

it will provide everyone with proper data and we all be operating on
"same page".

25 watts is more than enough power, also, you need to turn down the
mike/audio out gain, it is too "hot".

72
Ron, wb1hga
"QRP, when u care to send the very least"

Re: question for psk31 users

Don Wilhelm-4
Gerald, Ron and all,

CAUTION:  That document's rig setup is incorrect for Elecraft gear.

Following the transmitter setup described in that (and many others on
data modes) will not allow the K2, K3 or KX3 to function properly. and
may (in fact) may create a distorted signal - it is a sure way to create
power creep on your digital signal.

You must first set the audio drive power  For the K3 (or KX3) set to
DATA A submode and either turn the power down or turn in TX TEST.  Now
adjust the audio until you see 4 bars solid on the ALC meter - the 5th
bar could be flickering slightly (this is NO ALC for the K3 and KX3 -ALC
starts at the 5th bar)
For the K2, adjust the audio until you see an ALC indication, and then
turn it back a bit.

That is it - adjust the *desired* power level with the power knob and
operate.

Setting the power level to max and using the audio drive to bring the
power up to the desired level will work with transceivers that do not
use a feedback control loop to set the power level - the K2, K3 and KX3
*do* use a feedback loop, most other transceivers just adjust the drive
and take whatever comes out of the PA stage.

On 4/30/2012 2:34 PM, ron wrote:

> On 04/30/2012 02:06 PM, KC6CNN wrote:
>> I am now up and running on psk31.
>> I had my power set to 25watts and all is well. If I try to increase it to 30
>> watts, people say I have side bars. OK not sure what that is, but running 25
>> watts.
>

> you need to read this:
>
> http://www.mymorninglight.org/ham/psk.htm
>
> it will provide everyone with proper data and we all be operating on
> "same page".
>
> 25 watts is more than enough power, also, you need to turn down the
> mike/audio out gain, it is too "hot".
>
> 72
> Ron, wb1hga
> "QRP, when u care to send the very least"

Re: question for psk31 users

alsopb
Ron,

For what purpose is 25 watts more than enough?

I can tell you it isn't enough to try and work VU's and other Asians
under many conditions from the east coast on PSK.

The are times that no amount of legal power will suffice-- e.g. trying
to break through an EU curtain to some rare one.

The power you need is the power you need.

73 de Brian/K3KO

> 25 watts is more than enough power, also, you need to turn down the
> mike/audio out gain, it is too "hot".
>
> 72
> Ron, wb1hga
> "QRP, when u care to send the very least"

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: question for psk31 users

Rick WA6NHC
The problem isn't so much that your signal isn't getting there but rather
that the local noise conditions (and pile ups) make it difficult for the DX.

Rick wa6nhc

"I will find a road; or make one."
Hannibal

Re: question for psk31 users

Joel Black-2
Gerald,

You do not say what type interface you're using (i.e. SignaLink, RigBlaster, etc.).  Regardless, sidebars on your signal is indicative of you overdriving your transmit audio - not too much power.  As long as I do not overdrive my transmit audio, I can run 100W without sidebars and do so regularly on WINMOR.

Check your ALC.  It should be not more than four bars with a flickering fifth bar.

On my SignaLink, I adjust my transmit audio with the TX pot on the front.  I can tweak it a bit with the mic gain.

73,
Joel - W4JBB

On Apr 30, 2012, at 13:06, KC6CNN <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am now up and running on psk31.
> I had my power set to 25watts and all is well. If I try to increase it to 30
> watts, people say I have side bars. OK not sure what that is, but running 25
> watts.
> I see stations that say they are running 50 and even a 100 watts.
> How are they able to run so much power and I get the side bar things at 30
> watts.
>
> Guess I should ask also what are sidebars. lol
>
> Thanks
> Gerald - KC6CNN

Re: question for psk31 users

Jim Brown-10
On 4/30/2012 12:23 PM, Brian Alsop wrote:
> The power you need is the power you need.

Yup.  This morning about 11Z I was trying to work a guy in FL on 160M
JT65.  His noise level was so high that I had to drive the KPA500 to
500W to make the QSO. I've had similar experiences with many other
stations that were as much as 10dB above my minimum copyable signal
level, starting off with 10W and increasing power in 3dB steps until
they hear me.

73, Jim K9YC