reflectors

ussv dharma
how about seperate reflectors for k2, k3, p3???  this single one is getting out of control in length

If you don't change direction you'll arrive where you're headed!Sent from my iPad

Re: reflectors

John Ragle
I don't favor this suggestion at all. As long as people are somewhat
careful about the content of the subject line, there is no problem (as
far as I can see). When a particular thread becomes tedious (vide "KX3,"
"delivery times," etc.) it is straightforward enough to simply bypass
these automatically to the trash. A multiplicity of lists would entail
dredging each one for tailings of interest...

John Ragle -- W1ZI

=====

On 5/20/2012 6:03 AM, Ussvdharma wrote:
> how about seperate reflectors for k2, k3, p3???  this single one is getting out of control in length

Re: reflectors

Gary Gregory
*Filters even on gmail work to reduce the load..:-)

Separate reflectors would self defeating for Elecraft as they monitor and
respond to two already and to make more would increase their workload to a
point many posts would not see a reply perhaps?

Gary
*
On 20 May 2012 20:03, Ussvdharma <[hidden email]> wrote:

> how about seperate reflectors for k2, k3, p3???  this single one is
> getting out of control in length
>

> If you don't change direction you'll arrive where you're headed!Sent from
> my iPad

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

Re: reflectors

Guy, K2AV
This gets brought up from time to time by those who want everything in the
mail list to be only something they want to read.  For those who really
want to do that, every mail program, including major web mail clients like
Google's, has a sorting mechanism to put things in different folders, or
toss them out just like you want it.  Or in a minute's time you can mark a
hundred message for delete.  Tired of hearing about KPA500 and KAT500, just
set your client to delete them based on subject or content.  In Google's
Gmail web client, these are ridiculously easy to set up.

73, Guy

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 6:03 AM, Ussvdharma <[hidden email]> wrote:

> how about seperate reflectors for k2, k3, p3???  this single one is
> getting out of control in length
>

> If you don't change direction you'll arrive where you're headed!Sent from
> my iPad

Re: reflectors

pa0pje
Did'nt we all agree somewhere in the very past to start our device
specific messages with that specific device in the subject directly
after the [Elecraft] signature?

I have created filters in Thunderbird that routes all [Elecraft] mail to
an Elecraft folder and all device specific to a subfolder with that
device specific name.

Unfortunately not everbody seems to understand or forgot about this
simple rule...

Do we really need to create a howto? It isn't rocket science...

73,
Peter PA0PJE

Op 20-05-12 12:03, Ussvdharma schreef:

> how about seperate reflectors for k2, k3, p3???  this single one is getting out of control in length
>

> If you don't change direction you'll arrive where you're headed!Sent from my iPad

how to filter elecraft message (was: Re: reflectors.)

Pierfrancesco Caci

The howto is actually a good idea.

Please contribute your way to accomplish filtering using gmail,
thunderbird, outlook and whatever else you have set up.
If you reply with your contribution to this mail, it should be easily
searchable in the mailing list archives. Maybe Eric could also collect
the suggestions and post them on the Elecraft website.

Here's my contribution for filtering using old style procmail and an
IMAP server:

------------------- cut here ----------------

:0:
* $ LISTID ?? .*<elecraft\.mailman\\.qth\\.net>
* $^Subject:.*[\[ ]KPA-?500
.radio.elecraft.KPA500/

:0:
* $ LISTID ?? .*<elecraft\.mailman\\.qth\\.net>
* $^Subject:.*[\[ ](K3|K144XV)
.radio.elecraft.K3/

:0:
* $ LISTID ?? .*<elecraft\.mailman\\.qth\\.net>
* $^Subject:.*[\[ ](KX3|KXPA100)
.radio.elecraft.KX3/

:0:
* $ LISTID ?? .*<elecraft\\.mailman\\.qth\\.net>
* $^Subject:.*[\[ ]P3
.radio.elecraft.P3/

:0:
* $ LISTID ?? .*<elecraft\\.mailman\\.qth\\.net>
* $^Subject:.*[\[ ]K2
.radio.elecraft.K2/

:0:
* $ LISTID ?? .*<elecraft\\.mailman\\.qth\\.net>
* $^Subject:.*[\[ ](K-?1|KX-?1)
.radio.elecraft.K1-KX1/

:0:
* $ LISTID ?? .*<elecraft\\.mailman\\.qth\\.net>
.radio.elecraft/

-------------------- end ----------------

Pf

    Peter> Did'nt we all agree somewhere in the very past to start our device
    Peter> specific messages with that specific device in the subject directly
    Peter> after the [Elecraft] signature?

    Peter> I have created filters in Thunderbird that routes all [Elecraft] mail to
    Peter> an Elecraft folder and all device specific to a subfolder with that
    Peter> device specific name.

    Peter> Unfortunately not everbody seems to understand or forgot about this
    Peter> simple rule...

    Peter> Do we really need to create a howto? It isn't rocket science...

    Peter> 73,
    Peter> Peter PA0PJE

    Peter> Op 20-05-12 12:03, Ussvdharma schreef:
    >> how about seperate reflectors for k2, k3, p3???  this single one is getting out of control in length
    >>
    >>
    >> If you don't change direction you'll arrive where you're headed!Sent from my iPad
    >> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

    Peter> ______________________________________________________________
    Peter> Elecraft mailing list
    Peter> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
    Peter> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
    Peter> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

    Peter> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
    Peter> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

--
Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx

Re: reflectors

Kevin Stover
You are correct.
It's a list rule that gets ignored by the lazy among us.
I have my Thunderbird filters setup just like you do. It works
beautifully om properly formated emails.

Maybe we can get Eric to tweak the mail serve software to automatically
dump any email without a properly formated subject line.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

Re: reflectors

pa0pje
Hi Kevin,

Well, no need I think.
Anyone that understands filtering can create filters that simply dump
anything out of scope on a list. Apart from that, selecting a set of
mails and delete the selection is also not much work once you have all
wanted filtering in place.

73,
Peter PA0PJE

Op 20-05-12 13:58, Kevin schreef:

> You are correct.
> It's a list rule that gets ignored by the lazy among us.
> I have my Thunderbird filters setup just like you do. It works
> beautifully om properly formated emails.
>
> Maybe we can get Eric to tweak the mail serve software to automatically
> dump any email without a properly formated subject line.
>

> On 05/20/2012 06:28 AM, Peter Eijlander (PA0PJE) wrote:
>> Did'nt we all agree somewhere in the very past to start our device
>> specific messages with that specific device in the subject directly
>> after the [Elecraft] signature?
>>
>> I have created filters in Thunderbird that routes all [Elecraft] mail to
>> an Elecraft folder and all device specific to a subfolder with that
>> device specific name.
>>
>> Unfortunately not everbody seems to understand or forgot about this
>> simple rule...
>>
>> Do we really need to create a howto? It isn't rocket science...
>>
>> 73,
>> Peter PA0PJE

Re: reflectors

Tom Azlin N4ZPT-2
Nope, I like them all in one reflector. Would love that the KX3 traffic
move back here. 73, tom n4zpt

On 5/20/2012 6:03 AM, Ussvdharma wrote:
> how about seperate reflectors for k2, k3, p3???  this single one is getting out of control in length

Re: reflectors

Phil Hystad-3
So, you want a separate reflector for each Elecraft product.  That would be K1, K2, K3, P3, KPA500, KX1, KX3, KAT500, and then there are the myriad other little products too.  And, the list keeps growing (hopefully).

And, what if I have a question regarding the K3 and the P3 -- would I post to two reflectors?

I don't think this suggestion has much merit.  I use filters to divide and conquer this list and besides that, I can easily create dynamic sub-lists if I ever want to search for something particular, such as KX1.  My computer, Apple Macbook Pro, using Apple Mac mail which is the default mail handler for Mac systems.

73, phil, K7PEH

On May 20, 2012, at 3:03 AM, Ussvdharma wrote:

> how about seperate reflectors for k2, k3, p3???  this single one is getting out of control in length
>

> If you don't change direction you'll arrive where you're headed!Sent from my iPad

Re: reflectors

w0mu
It would be very helpful if people could remember to put   K1:  K2: K3:
P3: KPA500  etc at the front of the post.  I am as guilty as anyone
about forgetting this.

Mike W0MU

W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net:23 or w0mu-1.dnsdynamic.com
Http://www.w0mu.com

On 5/20/2012 8:12 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> So, you want a separate reflector for each Elecraft product.  That would be K1, K2, K3, P3, KPA500, KX1, KX3, KAT500, and then there are the myriad other little products too.  And, the list keeps growing (hopefully).
>
> And, what if I have a question regarding the K3 and the P3 -- would I post to two reflectors?
>
> I don't think this suggestion has much merit.  I use filters to divide and conquer this list and besides that, I can easily create dynamic sub-lists if I ever want to search for something particular, such as KX1.  My computer, Apple Macbook Pro, using Apple Mac mail which is the default mail handler for Mac systems.
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH
>

> On May 20, 2012, at 3:03 AM, Ussvdharma wrote:
>
>> how about seperate reflectors for k2, k3, p3???  this single one is getting out of control in length
>>

>> If you don't change direction you'll arrive where you're headed!Sent from my iPad
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: reflectors

ussv dharma
Peter
Some of us seem to forget that there are hams that may be beginners....to them it is ROCKET SCIENCE.  Just like the hams that insist on 40wpm cw...no matter how slow the other ham is......anyway, thanks for your comments.

If you don't change direction you WILL arrive exactly where you're headed!!

Susan Meckley, Skipper W7KFI-mm  AFA9SM
                         USSV DHARMA

________________________________
Did'nt we all agree somewhere in the very past to start our device specific messages with that specific device in the subject directly after the [Elecraft] signature?

I have created filters in Thunderbird that routes all [Elecraft] mail to an Elecraft folder and all device specific to a subfolder with that device specific name.

Unfortunately not everbody seems to understand or forgot about this simple rule...

Do we really need to create a howto? It isn't rocket science...

73,
Peter PA0PJE

Op 20-05-12 12:03, Ussvdharma schreef:

> how about seperate reflectors for k2, k3, p3???  this single one is getting out of control in length
>

> If you don't change direction you'll arrive where you're headed!Sent from my iPad

Re: reflectors

Jim Low man
The short answer is that Eric has already spoken on this issue, and has
firmly said "no" to separate lists.
Either we have a lot of new people on the Elecraft list, or they aren't
bothering to check the archives before dredging up a subject that has
been discussed many times before.

Heck, I let Thunderbird sort all of the Elecraft lists/groups into a
single folder.  This morning there were 79 messages.
I simply delete the ones not of interest; i.e. the new amp and antenna
tuner.

Traffic is heavy now, with new products like the KX3 and the KAT500 and
the anticipation.
Also, the Dayton Hamvention is a timely topic.
How many messages are there today on the legacy models, like the K1 and K2?
Other than the latest firmware release, we don't even hear that much
about the K3.
Bottom line is that it will die down - eventually.

72/73 de Jim - AD6CW

On 5/20/2012 3:03 AM, Ussvdharma wrote:
> how about seperate reflectors for k2, k3, p3???  this single one is getting out of control in length
>

> If you don't change direction you'll arrive where you're headed!Sent from my iPad

Re: reflectors

Edward R Cole
I suggest we change this reflector stop being about ham radio or
Elecraft products and dedicate the next several hundred post to how
to set e-mail filters on the 6-18 different e-mail clients available
......  Let's NOT, OK?

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Re: reflectors (end of discussion)

pa0pje
If I have offended anyone with my comment, I offer my apologies.
Consider the discussion closed please.
73,
Peter PA0PJE

Op 20-05-12 20:15, Edward R. Cole schreef:

> I suggest we change this reflector stop being about ham radio or
> Elecraft products and dedicate the next several hundred post to how
> to set e-mail filters on the 6-18 different e-mail clients available
> ......  Let's NOT, OK?
>

> 73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Re: reflectors

Bob-2
 From my view we seem to already  be experiencing separation of the Elecraft
owners. The Yahoo KX3 group seems to have much more activity than the KX3 does
here.   That does not seem to be the case with the K3.

I do not see this as a good thing.  I come here for all things Elecraft.  I'm
only a reader of KX3 items being  a lurker only on it.  This forum is a support
item for Elecraft but it is also a sales tool too. How many support calls has it
eliminated and sales has it  generated?  Who knows when some item will trip me
from just being a reader into the " I want." and owner camp.

I've replaced quite a few keyboards over the years but never because of a delete
key failure.

While here, yes I drink all the Elecraft Kool Aid but some flavors I like more
than others.

73,
Bob
K2TK   ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR

On 5/20/2012 1:57 PM, Jim Lowman wrote:

> The short answer is that Eric has already spoken on this issue, and has
> firmly said "no" to separate lists.
> Either we have a lot of new people on the Elecraft list, or they aren't
> bothering to check the archives before dredging up a subject that has
> been discussed many times before.
>
> Heck, I let Thunderbird sort all of the Elecraft lists/groups into a
> single folder.  This morning there were 79 messages.
> I simply delete the ones not of interest; i.e. the new amp and antenna
> tuner.
>
> Traffic is heavy now, with new products like the KX3 and the KAT500 and
> the anticipation.
> Also, the Dayton Hamvention is a timely topic.
> How many messages are there today on the legacy models, like the K1 and K2?
> Other than the latest firmware release, we don't even hear that much
> about the K3.
> Bottom line is that it will die down - eventually.
>
> 72/73 de Jim - AD6CW
>

> On 5/20/2012 3:03 AM, Ussvdharma wrote:
>> how about seperate reflectors for k2, k3, p3???  this single one is getting out of control in length
>>

>> If you don't change direction you'll arrive where you're headed!Sent from my iPad

Re: reflectors. [END of thread]

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Let's end this thread for now.

As we have stated several times in the past, we will not be splitting the list. Its impossible for us to monitor multiple lists regularly, and it also is important for us to maintina a central focus for the Elecraft community where we can get feedback and also make announcements.

If you are overloaded by list volume, there are several excellent web based Elecraft list archives that display postings by subject. You only need to click on and read what younwant to see. The nabble archive has topic organized threads and also allows threading by subject to group all of a subject line together. see www.elecraft.com/elist.heml for links to these searchablr archives.

73,
Eric
List Moderator - Now about to take off for our flight home from Dayton.

www.elecraft.com
_..._

On May 20, 2012, at 3:33 PM, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From my view we seem to already  be experiencing separation of the Elecraft
> owners. The Yahoo KX3 group seems to have much more activity than the KX3 does
> here.   That does not seem to be the case with the K3.
>
> I do not see this as a good thing.  I come here for all things Elecraft.  I'm
> only a reader of KX3 items being  a lurker only on it.  This forum is a support
> item for Elecraft but it is also a sales tool too. How many support calls has it
> eliminated and sales has it  generated?  Who knows when some item will trip me
> from just being a reader into the " I want." and owner camp.
>
> I've replaced quite a few keyboards over the years but never because of a delete
> key failure.
>
> While here, yes I drink all the Elecraft Kool Aid but some flavors I like more
> than others.
>
> .qsl.net/donate.html

Re: reflectors

k6dgw
On 5/20/2012 3:03 AM, Ussvdharma wrote:
> how about seperate reflectors for k2, k3, p3???  this single one is
> getting out of control in length

This comes up periodically [with the usual replies like this one].  Both
Eric and Wayne have repeatedly indicated they do not want multiple email
reflectors, understandable since they actually read the content and
multiples would undoubtedly delay the KX3 shipping line and the KAT500
assembly line. :-)

There are some separate lists, mostly Yahoo I think, for specific
E'gear, I know there is one for the KX3.  Try setting email filters.
I've got several in T-Bird and the list stays at a civilized length when
stuff I am not interested in goes into the "interim trash can."

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: reflectors

va3bxg
The KX3 YAHOO group, seems to be more concerned about delivery of products(the tuner being the newest discussion). the moderation (read professional) is sometimes, in my opinion lacking.

So this reflector is where the actual/professional discussion happen. And something that would suffer if we rely on other lists.

Wayne/Eric and their gang are extremely busy, not only  maintaining their business focus, but plan/produce the type of products we can't wait for.

Robert

a 'kosher' ham
Sent from my BlackBerry device

owners. The Yahoo KX3 group seems to have much more activity than the KX3 does
here.   That does not seem to be the case with the K3.

I do not see this as a good thing.  I come here for all things Elecraft.  I'm
only a reader of KX3 items being  a lurker only on it.  This forum is a support
item for Elecraft but it is also a sales tool too. How many support calls has it
eliminated and sales has it  generated?  Who knows when some item will trip me
from just being a reader into the " I want." and owner camp.

I've replaced quite a few keyboards over the years but never because of a delete
key failure.

While here, yes I drink all the Elecraft Kool Aid but some flavors I like more
than others.

73,
Bob
K2TK   ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR

On 5/20/2012 1:57 PM, Jim Lowman wrote:

> The short answer is that Eric has already spoken on this issue, and has
> firmly said "no" to separate lists.
> Either we have a lot of new people on the Elecraft list, or they aren't
> bothering to check the archives before dredging up a subject that has
> been discussed many times before.
>
> Heck, I let Thunderbird sort all of the Elecraft lists/groups into a
> single folder.  This morning there were 79 messages.
> I simply delete the ones not of interest; i.e. the new amp and antenna
> tuner.
>
> Traffic is heavy now, with new products like the KX3 and the KAT500 and
> the anticipation.
> Also, the Dayton Hamvention is a timely topic.
> How many messages are there today on the legacy models, like the K1 and K2?
> Other than the latest firmware release, we don't even hear that much
> about the K3.
> Bottom line is that it will die down - eventually.
>
> 72/73 de Jim - AD6CW
>

> On 5/20/2012 3:03 AM, Ussvdharma wrote:
>> how about seperate reflectors for k2, k3, p3???  this single one is getting out of control in length
>>

>> If you don't change direction you'll arrive where you're headed!Sent from my iPad

[KX] Subject

aj4ay
Fellow Elecrafters,

While Eric has closed the subject of multiple reflectors for the various
products, the simple solution for all of the mail filters is to use the
SUGGESTED subject entries.

If everyone uses the suggested subject line of guideline 4b, everyone's filters
will work perfectly.  To quote:

4b. *** [NEW] When emailing about a specific rig or option, please add the
rig/option name(s) to the first part of your email subject line.
(K1, K2, K3, KX1 etc.) This will be a huge help for those experiencing email
overload and will allow automatic filtering based on subject line.

Examples: "Subject: [K3] Filter Options"
            "Subject: [KX1] How to use ped portable?"
            "Subject: [XG2] Wow! Its a big help.

I am not the list police!  My DELETE key works just fine, thank you.  But e-mail
list life would be a lot easier if everyone would use the suggested subject line
format.

Jay
AJ4AY
Mobile, AL