remote KPA100

Julius Fazekas n2wn
OK, this may be a silly question but... Why do I need
a KIO to run the KPA100 remotely? In my case, I just
want to have the PA in a seperate enclosure to keep it
in a better ventilated area of my congestion (maybe 2
or 3 feet away from the K2). Is this too long of a run
for the I/O cable or RF?

Cheers from sunny Oak Ridge,
Julius
n2wn

Julius Fazekas
N2WN

Tennessee Contest Group
http://www.k4ro.net/tcg/index.html

Tennessee QSO Party
http://www.tnqp.org/

Elecraft K2        #4455
Elecraft K3/100 #366
Elecraft K3/100

RE: remote KPA100

KK7P
> OK, this may be a silly question but... Why do I need a KIO
> to run the KPA100 remotely?

The auxbus must be connected between the K2 and the KPA100.  The auxbus is
conveniently brought out on the KIO2.

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: remote KPA100

Don Brown-4
Hi

The KIO2 is required in the QRP K2 to supply the interface signals for the KPA100. This is the auxbus, 12 volt switched, 8R signals. It is possible to build a cable from the control board to a 9 pin connector to provide these signals but you will need to duplicate the RF bypassing used on the KIO2. The best solution is to just add the KIO2 to the K2 QRP top to provide the signals.

All you need to connect the two boxes is a 9 pin D connector cable with the bottom 4 pins connected and a ground to pin 1. A BNC to BNC for the RF and a power cable for the K2 and KPA100. If you do not have the KAT100 installed in the box with the KPA100 then you will need to drill a hole in the lower back panel for a chassis mount BNC connector and provide a connector inside for the KPA100 RF connector. If you have the KAT100-2 then the connectors are included on the KAT100 board. If you have the KAT100 then you will also need a short PL259 to PL259 cable to connect the KPA100 to the KAT100

Don Brown

Re: remote KPA100

Julius,

Easy answer (but not really 'silly') - the KPA100 has no bandswitch or other
controls - it gets its information from the K2, so the K2 must have a path
to communicate with the KPA100.  There are 4 signal lines on the KIO2
connector that contain the signals required.

I might point out that the presence of these signals IS the reason one
should NEVER connect a regular 'computer' serial cable directly to the K2
KIO2 connector - it will cause REALLY BAD things to happen to the K2 if
RS-232 level voltages are applied to these 4 pins.

A 2 to 3 foot cable should be no problem - if I recall, KI6WX tested with a
10 foot cable.
Also, plan to replace the minature 15 uH inductor on the KIO2 AUX2 board
with one that can handle more current.  Any 15 uH choke rated for about 100
ma should do nicely, or wind your own on a FT23-43 core (9 turns = 15 uH) or
a FT37-43 core (6 turns = 15 uH) - the wire size is not critical, use the
leftovers from your K2 build.

> OK, this may be a silly question but... Why do I need
> a KIO to run the KPA100 remotely? In my case, I just
> want to have the PA in a seperate enclosure to keep it
> in a better ventilated area of my congestion (maybe 2
> or 3 feet away from the K2). Is this too long of a run
> for the I/O cable or RF?

Re: remote KPA100

David Toepfer
I believe on one of the sites listed there is schematic describing how to get
around buying a KIO2.  Don't recall which.  That's my recollection at least.

dt
.