sending computer morse?

greg fripp
i want to send morse from my computer to my k1
is there a way i can do that?
i have a mac
asistance welcome

Fwd: sending computer morse?

myron schaffer-2
Greg,

A good friend of mine K1BX helps build these interface units. Set the K1 to straight key mode and hook up this keyer to your computer. Can't help you with the software but there's got to be some freeware logging programs out there that can key this.

http://www.k1el.com/

73,

Myron

Not sent from my PC

Begin forwarded message:

> From: greg fripp <[hidden email]>
> Date: September 26, 2012, 5:53:37 AM MDT
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Elecraft] sending computer morse?
>
> i want to send morse from my computer to my k1
> is there a way i can do that?
> i have a mac
> asistance welcome

Re: Fwd: sending computer morse?

Michael Adams
Most of the free and non-free programs have support.   Look for the
"WinKey" setting.

--
*Michael D. Adams* (N1EN)
Poquonock, Connecticut | [hidden email]

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 8:24 AM, Myron Schaffer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greg,
>
> A good friend of mine K1BX helps build these interface units. Set the K1
> to straight key mode and hook up this keyer to your computer. Can't help
> you with the software but there's got to be some freeware logging programs
> out there that can key this.
>
> http://www.k1el.com/
>
> 73,
>
> Myron

Re: Fwd: sending computer morse?

Matt Maguire
You can do it cheaper by building a simple transistor circuit that allows you computer to key the radio via the computer's RS232 serial port. Not quite as good as a Winkeyer, but gets you on air very quickly so you can have a play.

73, Matt VK2ACL

On 26/09/2012, at 10:24 PM, Myron Schaffer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greg,
>
> A good friend of mine K1BX helps build these interface units. Set the K1 to straight key mode and hook up this keyer to your computer. Can't help you with the software but there's got to be some freeware logging programs out there that can key this.
>
> http://www.k1el.com/
>
> 73,
>
> Myron
>
> Not sent from my PC
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: greg fripp <[hidden email]>
>> Date: September 26, 2012, 5:53:37 AM MDT
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: [Elecraft] sending computer morse?
>>
>> i want to send morse from my computer to my k1
>> is there a way i can do that?
>> i have a mac
>> asistance welcome
>>

>> --
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Fwd: sending computer morse?

Don Wilhelm-4
Keying via DTR or RTS will work with the simple transistor circuit, but
it is subject to timing problems created by the operating system.  There
is no way for an application to directly control a port, so the
application has to pass the request to the operating system and then the
operating system will control the port when it deems appropriate.  That
may be OK at slow CW speeds, but the timing becomes more critical at
higher speeds.  Enter the WinKeyer to solve that problem.

On 9/26/2012 4:26 PM, Matt Maguire wrote:
> You can do it cheaper by building a simple transistor circuit that allows you computer to key the radio via the computer's RS232 serial port. Not quite as good as a Winkeyer, but gets you on air very quickly so you can have a play.
>
> 73, Matt VK2ACL

Re: Fwd: sending computer morse?

Chester Alderman
Since you are talking about "operating systems" and since most ham software
is written for Windows, a much less expensive solution is to just turn off
Windows sound generation. When Windows generates sounds, the CPU first shuts
off the I/O ports, which causes CW stutter, generates the sounds and then
returns the I/O port to normal operation. Eliminating that sound generation
removes that 'stutter' generated by serial (or I/O ports) port. I have been
using audio generated CW driving a simple audio detector, to key my
transmitters for about 30 years and running in excess of 60 wpm, without any
serial port generated stutter. And it cost a LOT less than purchasing
outboard keyers!

73,
Tom - W4BQF

wreese
Don & The List,

There is a free program called "The Mill" but it requires that you
boot your computer in DOS and it will control the DB9 serial connector.

The Mill is a learning tool and it will teach you code up to about 40
WPM.  In the particular application I think you want, it will print
what you type on the screen and it changes colors as it goes out to
your transmitter if you should type faster than the speed you set.

http://home.comcast.net/~w4fok/

This link will take you to the home page of "THE  MILL."

At 09:48 AM 9/27/2012 -0400, you wrote:

>Keying via DTR or RTS will work with the simple transistor circuit, but
>it is subject to timing problems created by the operating system.  There
>is no way for an application to directly control a port, so the
>application has to pass the request to the operating system and then the
>operating system will control the port when it deems appropriate.  That
>may be OK at slow CW speeds, but the timing becomes more critical at
>higher speeds.  Enter the WinKeyer to solve that problem.
>
>73,
>Don W3FPR
>
>On 9/26/2012 4:26 PM, Matt Maguire wrote:
> > You can do it cheaper by building a simple transistor circuit
> that allows you computer to key the radio via the computer's RS232
> serial port. Not quite as good as a Winkeyer, but gets you on air
> very quickly so you can have a play.
> >
> > 73, Matt VK2ACL
>Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
>                                 This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net

Re: Fwd: sending computer morse?

Mike Markowski-2
On the other hand, for any wanting to quickly or cheaply get on the air that way
it might be worth a try.  I made a circuit similar to this one just now provided
by google:

  http://i1-linux.softpedia-static.com/screenshots/Cwdaemon_2.jpg

(PTT portion not needed.)  I've had no linux timing issues when taking part in
contests.  My top speed in contests is upper 20s to 30 wpm.  Beyond that, my
ears can't distinguish much - sure wish they could - so can't speak to those speeds!

73,
Mike ab3ap

On 09/27/2012 09:48 AM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Keying via DTR or RTS will work with the simple transistor circuit, but it
> is subject to timing problems created by the operating system.  There is no
> way for an application to directly control a port, so the application has to
> pass the request to the operating system and then the operating system will
> control the port when it deems appropriate.  That may be OK at slow CW
> speeds, but the timing becomes more critical at higher speeds.  Enter the
> WinKeyer to solve that problem.
>
> 73, Don W3FPR
>
> On 9/26/2012 4:26 PM, Matt Maguire wrote:
>> You can do it cheaper by building a simple transistor circuit that allows
>> you computer to key the radio via the computer's RS232 serial port. Not
>> quite as good as a Winkeyer, but gets you on air very quickly so you can
>> have a play.
>>
>> 73, Matt VK2ACL

Re: Fwd: sending computer morse?

Vic Rosenthal
It depends a lot on what your computer is doing. For years I used DTR keying with N1MM and
a slow computer, and I couldn't understand why people claimed that there were problems
with this. But I never operate 'assisted' by Internet connections, clusters, etc. in
contests. So that may be the reason it worked as well as it did.

Anyway I recently got a Winkey USB, and was surprised at how much better the
computer-generated CW sounded! Also, the Winkey offers PTT switching that is smoother and
faster than the semi-QSK in the K3.

The one downside (for me) is that I absolutely /hate/ the stand-alone keyer function. I
just cannot send with it without making lots of errors, despite trying numerous settings
of the paddle sensing function.

I am used to mode B iambic keying, and I set all my keyers for that mode. The best one for
me is the Idiom Press Logikey K3. It is better than the internal K3 keyer, which is better
than the Winkey. So I still use the Logikey for my hand sending.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: Fwd: sending computer morse?

Don Wilhelm-4
Vic,

Each to his own style, but the WinKeyer also provides Ultimatic mode
which is the only mode I can use with a dual lever paddle.  With a
single lever, it does not matter.

On 9/27/2012 11:30 AM, Vic K2VCO wrote:

> It depends a lot on what your computer is doing. For years I used DTR keying with N1MM and
> a slow computer, and I couldn't understand why people claimed that there were problems
> with this. But I never operate 'assisted' by Internet connections, clusters, etc. in
> contests. So that may be the reason it worked as well as it did.
>
> Anyway I recently got a Winkey USB, and was surprised at how much better the
> computer-generated CW sounded! Also, the Winkey offers PTT switching that is smoother and
> faster than the semi-QSK in the K3.
>
> The one downside (for me) is that I absolutely /hate/ the stand-alone keyer function. I
> just cannot send with it without making lots of errors, despite trying numerous settings
> of the paddle sensing function.
>
> I am used to mode B iambic keying, and I set all my keyers for that mode. The best one for
> me is the Idiom Press Logikey K3. It is better than the internal K3 keyer, which is better
> than the Winkey. So I still use the Logikey for my hand sending.

Re: Fwd: sending computer Morse?

That is great, but how do you "boot your computer in DOS" if you are
running Win XP or higher.
Did you wisely save a copy of DOS 6.2 just for such occasions?

On 9/27/2012 11:03 AM, wreese wrote:

> Don & The List,
>
> There is a free program called "The Mill" but it requires that you
> boot your computer in DOS and it will control the DB9 serial connector.
>
> The Mill is a learning tool and it will teach you code up to about 40
> WPM.  In the particular application I think you want, it will print
> what you type on the screen and it changes colors as it goes out to
> your transmitter if you should type faster than the speed you set.
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~w4fok/
>
> This link will take you to the home page of "THE  MILL."
>
> At 09:48 AM 9/27/2012 -0400, you wrote:
>> Keying via DTR or RTS will work with the simple transistor circuit, but
>> it is subject to timing problems created by the operating system.  There
>> is no way for an application to directly control a port, so the
>> application has to pass the request to the operating system and then the
>> operating system will control the port when it deems appropriate.  That
>> may be OK at slow CW speeds, but the timing becomes more critical at
>> higher speeds.  Enter the WinKeyer to solve that problem.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>> On 9/26/2012 4:26 PM, Matt Maguire wrote:
>>> You can do it cheaper by building a simple transistor circuit
>> that allows you computer to key the radio via the computer's RS232
>> serial port. Not quite as good as a Winkeyer, but gets you on air
>> very quickly so you can have a play.
>>> 73, Matt VK2ACL
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>>                                  This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net

Re: Fwd: sending computer Morse?

vk4tux
http://www.dosbox.com/

http://www.transmissionzero.co.uk/computing/installing-msdos-in-dosbox/

That is great, but how do you "boot your computer in DOS" if you are running
Win XP or higher.
Did you wisely save a copy of DOS 6.2 just for such occasions?

On 9/27/2012 11:03 AM, wreese wrote:

> Don & The List,
>
> There is a free program called "The Mill" but it requires that you
> boot your computer in DOS and it will control the DB9 serial connector.
>
> The Mill is a learning tool and it will teach you code up to about 40
> WPM.  In the particular application I think you want, it will print
> what you type on the screen and it changes colors as it goes out to
> your transmitter if you should type faster than the speed you set.
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~w4fok/
>
> This link will take you to the home page of "THE  MILL."
>
> At 09:48 AM 9/27/2012 -0400, you wrote:
>> Keying via DTR or RTS will work with the simple transistor circuit,
>> but it is subject to timing problems created by the operating system.
>> There is no way for an application to directly control a port, so the
>> application has to pass the request to the operating system and then
>> the operating system will control the port when it deems appropriate.
>> That may be OK at slow CW speeds, but the timing becomes more
>> critical at higher speeds.  Enter the WinKeyer to solve that problem.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>> On 9/26/2012 4:26 PM, Matt Maguire wrote:
>>> You can do it cheaper by building a simple transistor circuit
>> that allows you computer to key the radio via the computer's RS232
>> serial port. Not quite as good as a Winkeyer, but gets you on air
>> very quickly so you can have a play.
>>> 73, Matt VK2ACL
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>>                                  This list hosted by:
>> http://www.qsl.net Please help support this email list:
>> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: sending computer Morse?

Gil G.
There is DOXBOX for Macs too!

Gil.
--
PGP Key: http://keskydee.com/gil.asc

On Sep 27, 2012, at 8:33 PM, Adrian wrote:

> http://www.dosbox.com/
>
> http://www.transmissionzero.co.uk/computing/installing-msdos-in-dosbox/

Re: Fwd: sending computer Morse?

Matt Maguire
Umm... doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of running DOS in a virtualised environment under Windows kind of defeat the purpose of running MSDOS in the first place, which was to avoid the real-time timing issues that come with Windows?

:-)

73, Matt VK2ACL.

On 28/09/2012, at 10:33 AM, "Adrian" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.dosbox.com/
>
> http://www.transmissionzero.co.uk/computing/installing-msdos-in-dosbox/

DOSBox is capable of timing-compatible implementation of the serial ports,
and can run older hardware and software dependent on such;

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf#.5Bserial.5D

[serial]

serialX = device [parameter:value]
device can be: dummy | modem | nullmodem | directserial parameter is: irq
value is: 1. for directserial: realport (required), rxdelay (optional).

>Umm... doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of running DOS in a
virtualised environment under Windows kind of >defeat the purpose of running
MSDOS in the first place, which was to avoid the real-time timing issues
that come with >Windows?

Re: Fwd: sending computer Morse?

Holger Schurig-2
There's also FreeDOS, which run's on the bare machine. E.g. it is
*not* a window inside Windows 7.

So you don't need to have a saved copy of MSDOS 6.2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeDOS

(http://www.freedos.org was down while I wrote this)

Re: Fwd: sending computer Morse?

vk4tux
Very good yes, a few choices available. Interesting reading;

http://prism2.mem.drexel.edu/~rares/dos_comm.htm

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Serial_Programming/DOS_Programming

http://philipstorr.id.au/pcbook/book2/serial.htm

Re: Fwd: sending computer morse?

OZ2BRN Brian Lodahl
Agree - for contesting I've been using Win-test, keying it with RTS,
even through a USB to serial adapter for the configured CAT com port.

Usually I key in 28-35 WPM, and with sound OFF on the computer, it works
fine.

Only rarely it messes up the timing of the CW code, but in practice it
works like a charm.

Done so on my K2, and lately setting the same up on my Kx3

/OZ2BRN - Brian

Den 27-Sep-12 16:51, Tommy Alderman skrev:

> Since you are talking about "operating systems" and since most ham software
> is written for Windows, a much less expensive solution is to just turn off
> Windows sound generation. When Windows generates sounds, the CPU first shuts
> off the I/O ports, which causes CW stutter, generates the sounds and then
> returns the I/O port to normal operation. Eliminating that sound generation
> removes that 'stutter' generated by serial (or I/O ports) port. I have been
> using audio generated CW driving a simple audio detector, to key my
> transmitters for about 30 years and running in excess of 60 wpm, without any
> serial port generated stutter. And it cost a LOT less than purchasing
> outboard keyers!
>
> 73,
> Tom - W4BQF

Fwd: sending computer Morse?

vk4tux

Brilliant Tom, run services.msc and turn Windows Audio (off) ok.

Den 27-Sep-12 16:51, Tommy Alderman skrev:
> Since you are talking about "operating systems" and since most ham
software
> is written for Windows, a much less expensive solution is to just turn
> off Windows sound generation. When Windows generates sounds, the CPU
> first
shuts
> off the I/O ports, which causes CW stutter, generates the sounds and
> then returns the I/O port to normal operation. Eliminating that sound
generation
> removes that 'stutter' generated by serial (or I/O ports) port. I have
been
> using audio generated CW driving a simple audio detector, to key my
> transmitters for about 30 years and running in excess of 60 wpm,
> without
any
> serial port generated stutter. And it cost a LOT less than purchasing
> outboard keyers!
>
> 73,
> Tom - W4BQF

Re: Fwd: sending computer Morse?