the hummers

Jim Danehy
I cut and pasted the fefinition below from Wikipedia. It does a very good
job of stating what I often read here. I often wonder about folks who want
to get matching serial numbers for their K Line. Now we  have the hummers.

 Next week I celebrate my 59th year on the air. We had no idea then what the
gear of today could possibly be. We threw switches to spot and then to
transmit and then to receive. I wonder what the hummers of today would have
done 59 years ago  ? ? ? I enjoyed reading about the guy who puts his hand
on top of his P3 and the base line goes back down. Now that one I can
appreciate as having some merit.

BRW I turn my fan on the KPA 500 to 2 and leave it there all the time. Do
any of these folks get bothered by flashing LEDs ? ? ? If they do I have
missed that one. In the old days we did not have flashing lights. Sometimes
we did not have meters eithers. Just used a neon bulb on a stick to tune the
rig. Crude but it worked. It would flash though when you keyed the rig.
Ummmmmm

The term *anal retentive* (also *anally retentive*), commonly abbreviated to
*anal*,[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_retentive#cite_note-0> is used
conversationally <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversation> to describe a
person who pays such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an
annoyance to others, and can be carried out to the detriment of the
anal-retentive person. The term derives from
Freudian<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigmund_Freud>
psychoanalysis <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoanalysis>. People who are
said to be anal retentive usually suffer from obsessive–compulsive
personality disorder<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_personality_disorder>
[*citation needed <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed>*]
.

Re: the hummers

Phil Kane-2
On 9/27/2011 10:12 AM, jim danehy wrote:

> People who are said to be anal retentive usually suffer from
> obsessive-compulsive personality disorder

  Or have learned the hard way that it's better to make sure that
  it's done right the first time rather than to have to do
  it over at far more expense of time and resources.

  "Measure twice, cut once", you know.  I'm sure that somewhere
  in the Elecraft manual(s) there's some urging to do something
  like that, if only to read the manual first.

--  73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
    Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402

Re: the hummers

w0mu
While many of these issues seem to annoy other people, I believe that it
is excellent feedback for Elecraft.  If a bunch of people started to
have a humming issue then they would know that something might be
wrong.  When something runs quiet for 3 months and then starts making
noise I think it is worth mentioning.

A while back I reported a problem with the K3 that when I plugged in
headphone to the front jack that the S meter would jump 2 units.  Using
the back jack did not do this.  The actual cause was that a pin was bent
while reconnecting the front panel after installing the DSP mod.
Reporting back to Elecraft what I found might save the next guy a bunch
of time as they now have it detailed that this issue could be caused by X.

So what if people are obsessive compulsive or Anal....  Using the delete
key is much easier than stewing about it.

Mike W0MU

J6/W0MU November 21 - December 1 2011 CQ WW DX CW
W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net