Cancel XG3 morse tx?

Stan Gibbs, KR7C
Is it possible to cancel a morse code transmission initiated with the "W" command?
73, Stan - KR7C

Re: Cancel XG3 morse tx?

Stan Gibbs, KR7C
Is there any chance we could also get a command to determine whether Morse transmission is active?
73, Stan - KR7C

K3 power supply recommendations

tbranton
Good morning everyone ,

I think I have found a very nicely maintained and equipped K3 to purchase. Any purchase recommendations as to a well constructed and trouble free power supply?

Thanks

Tom
WD5DFE

Re: K3 power supply recommendations

tbranton
The K3 in question is a K3/100.  Thanks,

Tom

On Apr 16, 2013, at 6:26 AM, "Tom Branton" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good morning everyone ,
>
> I think I have found a very nicely maintained and equipped K3 to purchase. Any purchase recommendations as to a well constructed and trouble free power supply?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom
> WD5DFE

Re: K3 power supply recommendations

Doug Joyce
GM Tom:  I've found the Astron RS-35M to work just fine except that the
light in the ampmeter went out and I would have to replace the complete
meter to resolve the problem - so I just ignore that meter.  Otherwise it
just keeps on working and has been on  14 to 16 hours per day since I got it
about 3 years ago.

73,  Doug  VE3MV

> The K3 in question is a K3/100.  Thanks,
>
> Tom
>

> On Apr 16, 2013, at 6:26 AM, "Tom Branton" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Good morning everyone ,
>>
>> I think I have found a very nicely maintained and equipped K3 to
>> purchase. Any purchase recommendations as to a well constructed and
>> trouble free power supply?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Tom
>> WD5DFE

Re: K3 power supply recommendations

N0AZZ
Astron RS-35M supply for a base unit, still room for some headroom for extra
items.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ
K3 Ser #'s 6730/5299--KX3 # 2573--K2/100--KAT100
P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2

I think I have found a very nicely maintained and equipped K3 to purchase.
Any purchase recommendations as to a well constructed and trouble free power
supply?

Thanks

Tom
WD5DFE

-----
No virus found in this message.

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: K3 power supply recommendations

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 4:26 AM, Tom Branton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think I have found a very nicely maintained and equipped K3 to purchase. Any purchase recommendations as to a well constructed and trouble free power supply?

This is a recurring topic - search for "k3 power supply" at
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/ for ample regurgitation ;)

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

Re: K3 power supply recommendations

Mike Reublin
I've used an Astron RS-35M very happily for years. Had to turn it up a tad for the K3.

Tip: The voltage adjustment is on the under side of the board......

73, Mike NF4L

On Apr 16, 2013, at 8:03 AM, Tom Branton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The K3 in question is a K3/100.  Thanks,
>
> Tom
>

> On Apr 16, 2013, at 6:26 AM, "Tom Branton" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Good morning everyone ,
>>
>> I think I have found a very nicely maintained and equipped K3 to purchase. Any purchase recommendations as to a well constructed and trouble free power supply?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Tom
>> WD5DFE

Re: K3 power supply recommendations

Richard Fjeld
I haven't pulled the cover on my RS-35M yet.  Does it have adequate clearance to get to the pot, or did you have to improvise?

Rich, n0ce

  I've used an Astron RS-35M very happily for years. Had to turn it up a tad for the K3.

  Tip: The voltage adjustment is on the under side of the board......

  73, Mike NF4L

Re: K3 power supply recommendations

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

Depends on the version ... some pots are mounted vertically,
some flat, some have holes in the board to adjust through, etc.

My preference is the RS-35A ... the non-metered version.  I find the
metering not that accurate.  Since the supplies are mounted below
the bench and I usually get the DVM when setting them up, I don't
see a justification for the added expense <G>.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 4/16/2013 10:37 AM, Richard Fjeld wrote:

> I haven't pulled the cover on my RS-35M yet.  Does it have adequate clearance to get to the pot, or did you have to improvise?
>
> Rich, n0ce

Mike Furrey
As of late I have been using a Powerwerx SS-30DV and I have been very
pleased so far.
http://www.powerwerx.com/power-supplies/powerwerx-30-amp-desktop-switching-power-supply-powerpoles.html

73, Mike WA5POK

> I think I have found a very nicely maintained and equipped K3 to purchase.
> Any purchase recommendations as to a well constructed and trouble free
> power supply?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom
> WD5DFE

Re: K3 power supply recommendations

tnnyswy
Now would be a good time to pull the cover off.

((((73)))) Milverton

>________________________________

Bill Clarke
My RS-35A has been on and in use 24/7 (except during storms and
vacations) for well over 25 years. I plan on replacing it "just because"
this summer - with a new one.

Bill W2BLC

Re: K3 power supply recommendations

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

One of mine is over 30 years old ... it gets opened about one
a year to have the dust blown out, have screws/bolts checked
(filter cap terminals, etc.) and the output voltage gets checked.
Never a bit of trouble ...

My newer unit is perhaps five years old ... it gets the same
treatment also no problems.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 4/16/2013 11:27 AM, Bill wrote:

> My RS-35A has been on and in use 24/7 (except during storms and
> vacations) for well over 25 years. I plan on replacing it "just because"
> this summer - with a new one.
>
> Bill W2BLC

Re: Cancel XG3 morse tx?

Paul Saffren N6HZ
Hi Stan,

I spent a little time investigating adding these features to the XG3 firmware.  It may be possible for me to add the ability to interrupt 'W' Morse sending with any received serial character or key press.  However adding the ability to detect when Morse is being sent (i.e. adding another field to the Info command) would require quite a bit more programming which I cannot devote to at this time due to existing demands.

73,

Paul

Re: K3 power supply recommendations

Vic Rosenthal
If it ain't broke ... just open it up, blow out the dust, and tighten all of the screws
that connect the capacitors to the board. Then make sure the bolts on the output
connectors are tight, too.
Then settle back and use it for another 25 years.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: K3 power supply recommendations

Keith Heimbold
I use either my Astron RS70M or my RS35M at my shack in San Diego. Both are really great. I got the larger astron for use with a couple larger mobile solid state amps and my TS480hx.

I also have a powererx 30 amp power supply and a RS35 (no meter) at my other shack in Texas. Both of those power supplies work well also.

Keith
AK6ZZ

Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos

On Apr 16, 2013, at 4:27 AM, "Tom Branton" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good morning everyone ,
>
> I think I have found a very nicely maintained and equipped K3 to purchase. Any purchase recommendations as to a well constructed and trouble free power supply?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom
> WD5DFE

Re: K3 power supply recommendations

Jim Wiley
Bill -

Older Astron power supplies can continue to give good service, there is
no reason to replace it unlessit seems to have a problem.

One of the things that does go bad in these supplies, particularly ones
of this vintage, is that the main filter capacitor "loses its
microfarads"(dries out).  The capacitor has to handle a fairly large
ripple current, especially if the power supply is working hard, and that
in turn can have detrimental effects onthe big capacitor.   I recently
encountered a RS-35A with exactly that symptom, the power would dip
momentarily at voice peaks when running a 100-watt transceiver.  The
voltage was fine for receiving and anything less than full output, but
when  a big voice (or CW) peak came along that demanded more than about
16 amperes from the supply, it lost regulation, which caused all sorts
of weird and wonderful things to happen to the transceiver -such as loss
of PLL lock, frequency shifting, mode shifting, and so on. .

The cure was to replace the 30,000 uFd / 30V capacitor in the RS-35A
with a newunit.  As it turned out, new capacitors of that exact
specification were a bit hard to find, and expensive, but a search of
theMouser catalog turned up a great choice. I found a 33,000 uFd / 35
volt unit for a reasonable price (about $35.00 including priority mail
postage).  The new cap is both a bit smaller (physically) than the
original, and has significantly better specifications.  The Mouser part
number is 647-LNT1V333MSE.  The new capacitor has the same connection
terminal spacing, so the control board just bolted on.  I did mount the
board slightly differently, but that is justpersonal preference.  The
original mounting method will work fine.

Here (I hope) isa direct link to the Mouser catalog page:
647-LNT1V333MSE
<https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=LNT1V333MSEvirtualkey64700000virtualkey647-LNT1V333MSE>

Result: The oldAstron gets  new lease on life - it works just like brand
new, and I expect may more yearsof service.

Perhaps the Astron RS-35A that you have is still working OK, but it may
be getting a bit creaky, so to speak. Replacing the main filter cap
can't hurt, and will go a long way toward insuring trouble free
operation for years to come.

YMMV, of course. No connection with any vendors or manufacturers, just
satisfied with the results at what I considered a fair price.  Any yes,
I thought about some of the large computer power supply caps that were
in my junk box, and I might have tried one if it was "close" - but after
a bit of thought, the new unit was a better choice and might in the long
run prove to be less expensive.  Asurplus unit could have its own
problems, possibly causing a more catastrophic failure.

- Jim, KL7CC

On 4/16/2013 7:27 AM, Bill wrote:
> My RS-35A has been on and in use 24/7 (except during storms and
> vacations) for well over 25 years. I plan on replacing it "just
> because" this summer - with a new one.
>
> Bill W2BLC

Re: K3 power supply recommendations

Gary K9GS
I have a question on adjusting the voltage a bit higher for use with the
K3. I was thinking of 14.5 V, as others have mentioned, and adjusting
voltage on receive.

I have an accurate voltmeter.

Should I set the voltage with the voltmeter measuring at the DC input to
the K3 (at the power pole into the radio) or should I use the internal
voltmeter in the K3?

On 4/16/2013 9:05 AM, Mike Reublin wrote:

> I've used an Astron RS-35M very happily for years. Had to turn it up a tad for the K3.
>
> Tip: The voltage adjustment is on the under side of the board......
>
> 73, Mike NF4L
>
> On Apr 16, 2013, at 8:03 AM, Tom Branton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The K3 in question is a K3/100.  Thanks,
>>
>> Tom
>>

>> On Apr 16, 2013, at 6:26 AM, "Tom Branton" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Good morning everyone ,
>>>
>>> I think I have found a very nicely maintained and equipped K3 to purchase. Any purchase recommendations as to a well constructed and trouble free power supply?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Tom
>>> WD5DFE

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com
CW Ops #1032   http://www.cwops.org

Re: K3 power supply recommendations

n7ws
Use your meter.  BTW, I second, third, fourth... the recommendation of the RM-35.  Mine has been converted to a "smart charger" that keeps a 95AH AGM battery charged, but before that was used normally without incident.