Digital Mode Interface for the KX3 for WSJT modes

Digital Mode Interface for the KX3 for WSJT modes

Edward R Cole
Lance,

Still on my "to-do"list, but today is devoted to finishing my
semi-annual shack clean-up and working up a presentation to demo the
KX3 this Saturday at our local hamfest (which I am chairman).  Oh,
and somehow dig out all the stuff I wanted to "unload" at the
flea-market session.  Only have today as I work tomorrow.

Since taking this job I am overloaded with projects.  I'm hoping that
I can use a pc cam to project onto the screen for better viewing of
the radio when I demo it.  Only way I ever used it was for instant messaging.

I'll print-off your KX3 I/F ideas for future reference.  I am
planning to use some pcb iso-transformers in the audio lines.

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Re: Digital Mode Interface for the KX3 for WSJT modes

Don Wilhelm-4
Ed, Lance,

I have constructed my digital interface, but have not tried it yet.
The basis was the interface designed by Skip Teller KH6TY "Classic
Universal Soundcard Interface" from QST July 2010.  That interface is
small and fits into the housing of a large DB-9 backshell.
I purchased some 3 circuit right angle 3.5mm plugs and routed the
headphone connection to the left channel (tip) of the headphone output,
and wired both the audio and PTT to the microphone connector.

The drawback for this particular interface is that is has to be used on
a serial port (or serial to USB adapter) to use the PTT function.  It
could be left disconnected and use VOX in the KX3 - it gives you the
benefit for both.

Skip later published an interface that used the audio to generate PTT
(instead of from the serial port), but that is not much different than
using VOX in the radio (although some radios (like the Yaesu FT-847 do
not have VOX).

I do not know if Skip still has boards or kits available.

On 7/12/2012 1:55 PM, Edward R. Cole wrote:
> Lance,
>
> Still on my "to-do"list, but today is devoted to finishing my
> semi-annual shack clean-up and working up a presentation to demo the
> KX3 this Saturday at our local hamfest (which I am chairman).  Oh,
> and somehow dig out all the stuff I wanted to "unload" at the
> flea-market session.  Only have today as I work tomorrow.

Re: Digital Mode Interface for the KX3 for WSJT modes

Holger Schurig-2
https://sites.google.com/site/kh6tyinterface/

Re: [KX3] digital modes ALC

aandrei
Does the ALC meter  'Elecraft rule' apply to digital modes (PSK31, etc), meaning that 4 bars is good ?
(As opposed to trying to have no bars on ALC meter for digi modes).

Thank you,

Adi, M0THX

Re: [KX3] digital modes ALC

Lyle Johnson
Yes, absolutely.  4 bars, occasional flicker to 5, is the correct audio
level for DATA A mode.

73,

Lyle KK7P

> Does the ALC meter  'Elecraft rule' apply to digital modes (PSK31, etc), meaning that 4 bars is good ?
> (As opposed to trying to have no bars on ALC meter for digi modes).

Re: Digital Mode Interface for the KX3 for WSJT modes

Thanks, yes that is the one that produces the PTT from the audio stream.
I note that Skip no longer has kits and boards, but he has supplied a
complete parts list and the circuit is simple enough to wire on
perfboard.  The photos provide a nice layout guide.

Contrary to K9YC's statements, I believe the transformers are necessary
for use with a laptop.
Jim's "bond everything together" is a great solution (and it works) for
the home station using a desktop computer, but bonding the computer
becomes more difficult when using laptops with all plastic cases.  I
cannot find a good place to connect to the computer ground of my IBM
Thinkpad.unless it just happens to be the jackscrews on the VGA
connector - but those are there to prevent connector pullout, and may or
may not be grounded.  (I use a desktop at the home station).

On 7/12/2012 4:51 PM, Holger Schurig wrote:

> https://sites.google.com/site/kh6tyinterface/

Re: Digital Mode Interface for the KX3 for WSJT modes

Edward R Cole
Don,

After making several sound-card interfaces (never have used a
commercially made one),  I deduced the "surest way" to avoid audio
problems was by total isolation of computer ground and radio
ground.  East to accomplish using isolation transformers for audio
and opto-isolators for dc controls.

I guess there are applications for a "VOX-like" PTT control, but I
use RTL or DTR lines for this with the sw I run.  Opto-isolator like
the 4N36 work well in this path.

I am going to go ahead making up an I/F with tiny pcb transformers,
but probably not try installing all inside a sub-D
connector  (commonly called DB-9 or DB-25).  I will use a tiny
plastic box and small pc board with mini-phone connectors for audio
and DB-9 for RS-232 interface.  I have in mind that it will attach on
the back of the KX3 with a velcro-patch (so one can remove it at will).

I am just stacked up at present so this will not be worked on
right-away (assuming Lance has one for his eme dxpedition).

I am writing a power-point presentation to demo the KX3 this
weekend.  I'll add it to my website afterward.

73, Ed - KL7UW

At 02:49 PM 7/12/2012, Don Wilhelm wrote:

>Thanks, yes that is the one that produces the PTT from the audio stream.
>I note that Skip no longer has kits and boards, but he has supplied
>a complete parts list and the circuit is simple enough to wire on
>perfboard.  The photos provide a nice layout guide.
>
>Contrary to K9YC's statements, I believe the transformers are
>necessary for use with a laptop.
>Jim's "bond everything together" is a great solution (and it works)
>for the home station using a desktop computer, but bonding the
>computer becomes more difficult when using laptops with all plastic
>cases.  I cannot find a good place to connect to the computer ground
>of my IBM Thinkpad.unless it just happens to be the jackscrews on
>the VGA connector - but those are there to prevent connector
>pullout, and may or may not be grounded.  (I use a desktop at the
>home station).
>
>73,
>Don W3FPR

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Re: Digital Mode Interface for the KX3 for WSJT modes

Don Wilhelm-5
Ed,

For use with the KX3, I would believe the audio generated PTT signal
such as shown in Skip Teller's interface at
https://sites.google.com/site/kh6tyinterface/ would be the preferred PTT
solution.

My reason is that the KX3 USB data cable includes only TXD and RXD. If
you use RTS or DTR for PTT, you are forcing the user to have a full
serial port (and not the KX3 USB cable).

Yes, you can use a Y adapter to feed a real serial port or a USB to
serial adapter to both the KX3 serial cable and to the data interface,
but that gets complicated.

I would suggest you use some variation of Skip Teller's interface which
generates PTT from the audio stream, or since the KX3 VOX is good,
simply use the KX3 VOX and just put transformers in the audio lines.

Edm I an certain others would be interested in your implementation, so
if you would be so inclined, get up a list of parts for your design and
see if someone like FAR circuits would be interested in building some
sheets of boards for you.  Presto, good data mode interfaces for the KX3.

On 7/12/2012 8:50 PM, Edward R. Cole wrote:

> Don,
>
> After making several sound-card interfaces (never have used a
> commercially made one),  I deduced the "surest way" to avoid audio
> problems was by total isolation of computer ground and radio ground.
> East to accomplish using isolation transformers for audio and
> opto-isolators for dc controls.
>
> I guess there are applications for a "VOX-like" PTT control, but I use
> RTL or DTR lines for this with the sw I run. Opto-isolator like the
> 4N36 work well in this path.
>
> I am going to go ahead making up an I/F with tiny pcb transformers,
> but probably not try installing all inside a sub-D connector (commonly
> called DB-9 or DB-25).  I will use a tiny plastic box and small pc
> board with mini-phone connectors for audio and DB-9 for RS-232
> interface.  I have in mind that it will attach on the back of the KX3
> with a velcro-patch (so one can remove it at will).
>
> I am just stacked up at present so this will not be worked on
> right-away (assuming Lance has one for his eme dxpedition).
>
> I am writing a power-point presentation to demo the KX3 this weekend.
> I'll add it to my website afterward.
>
> 73, Ed - KL7UW
>
> At 02:49 PM 7/12/2012, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>> Thanks, yes that is the one that produces the PTT from the audio stream.
>> I note that Skip no longer has kits and boards, but he has supplied a
>> complete parts list and the circuit is simple enough to wire on
>> perfboard.  The photos provide a nice layout guide.
>>
>> Contrary to K9YC's statements, I believe the transformers are
>> necessary for use with a laptop.
>> Jim's "bond everything together" is a great solution (and it works)
>> for the home station using a desktop computer, but bonding the
>> computer becomes more difficult when using laptops with all plastic
>> cases.  I cannot find a good place to connect to the computer ground
>> of my IBM Thinkpad.unless it just happens to be the jackscrews on the
>> VGA connector - but those are there to prevent connector pullout, and
>> may or may not be grounded.  (I use a desktop at the home station).
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>

> 73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45
> ======================================
> BP40IQ   500 KHz - 10-GHz www.kl7uw.com
> <http://www.kl7uw.com/>EME: 50-1.1kw?, 144-1.4kw, 432-QRT, 1296-?, 3400-?
> DUBUS Magazine USA Rep [hidden email]
> /"Kits made by KL7UW" http://www.kl7uw.com/kits.htm
> <http://www.kl7uw.com/kits.htm>
> /======================================

Re: Digital Mode Interface for the KX3 for WSJT modes

Gary K9GS
Or just buy one of these:

http://www.unifiedmicro.com/sci6.htm

Hard to beat for $25.00.

BTW....I have a brand new one for sale, already assembled, never used.
Will sell for $20.00 including shipping to the lower 48 states.  Note
this is NOT set up for the KX3...strictly stock using the supplied
connectors/cables.

On 7/12/2012 7:50 PM, Edward R. Cole wrote:

> Don,
>
> After making several sound-card interfaces (never have used a
> commercially made one),  I deduced the "surest way" to avoid audio
> problems was by total isolation of computer ground and radio
> ground.  East to accomplish using isolation transformers for audio
> and opto-isolators for dc controls.
>
> I guess there are applications for a "VOX-like" PTT control, but I
> use RTL or DTR lines for this with the sw I run.  Opto-isolator like
> the 4N36 work well in this path.
>
> I am going to go ahead making up an I/F with tiny pcb transformers,
> but probably not try installing all inside a sub-D
> connector  (commonly called DB-9 or DB-25).  I will use a tiny
> plastic box and small pc board with mini-phone connectors for audio
> and DB-9 for RS-232 interface.  I have in mind that it will attach on
> the back of the KX3 with a velcro-patch (so one can remove it at will).
>
> I am just stacked up at present so this will not be worked on
> right-away (assuming Lance has one for his eme dxpedition).
>
> I am writing a power-point presentation to demo the KX3 this
> weekend.  I'll add it to my website afterward.
>
> 73, Ed - KL7UW
>
> At 02:49 PM 7/12/2012, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>> Thanks, yes that is the one that produces the PTT from the audio stream.
>> I note that Skip no longer has kits and boards, but he has supplied
>> a complete parts list and the circuit is simple enough to wire on
>> perfboard.  The photos provide a nice layout guide.
>>
>> Contrary to K9YC's statements, I believe the transformers are
>> necessary for use with a laptop.
>> Jim's "bond everything together" is a great solution (and it works)
>> for the home station using a desktop computer, but bonding the
>> computer becomes more difficult when using laptops with all plastic
>> cases.  I cannot find a good place to connect to the computer ground
>> of my IBM Thinkpad.unless it just happens to be the jackscrews on
>> the VGA connector - but those are there to prevent connector
>> pullout, and may or may not be grounded.  (I use a desktop at the
>> home station).
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>
> 73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com
CW Ops #1032   http://www.cwops.org

Re: Digital Mode Interface for the KX3 for WSJT modes

Jim Brown-10
On 7/12/2012 5:50 PM, Edward R. Cole wrote:
> I deduced the "surest way" to avoid audio
> problems was by total isolation of computer ground and radio
> ground.  East to accomplish using isolation transformers for audio
> and opto-isolators for dc controls.

Actually it is NOT the surest way.  Simple BONDING from chassis to
chassis, as I outlined in my email to Lance earlier in this thread is
both simple and VERY SURE.  I never cease to marvel at how hams will
throw dollars at problems when excellent solutions are nearly FREE (in
this case, no more than the cost of a few feet of copper wire).

73, Jim K9YC

On 7/12/2012 3:49 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
> Jim's "bond everything together" is a great solution (and it works) for
> the home station using a desktop computer, but bonding the computer
> becomes more difficult when using laptops with all plastic cases.  I
> cannot find a good place to connect to the computer ground of my IBM
> Thinkpad.unless it just happens to be the jackscrews on the VGA
> connector - but those are there to prevent connector pullout, and may or
> may not be grounded.

I've used nothing but Thinkpads (T2x-series and T4x-series) in my ham
station for the last ten years, and the shell of the DB-connectors IS a
chassis connection. That's what I've always used, and it works quite
reliably.  It has been my experience that if I do need to plug something
into one of the DB connectors that a retaining screw on only one side is
quite sufficient to hold it in place.

BTW -- when equipment is properly built, the connector shell IS bonded
to the chassis.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: Digital Mode Interface for the KX3 for WSJT modes

Nr4c
I am working on an interface in a box w/pcb.  Once you use a box, you can do
anything.  I plan to have full serial port and two audio cables from
computer.  Transformers in the audio chain and a 10K/1k attenuator in mic
input to KX3.  I will split the serial port to provide proper connections
for CAT, PTT, and CW as n1mm handles the K3.

Whole thing in a 2.5X2.5X1 box.

Big plans....

...bill nr4c

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Droid

> [...]

>> computer becomes more difficult when using laptops with all plastic
>> cases.  I cannot find a good place to connect to the computer ground
>> of my IBM Thinkpad.unless it just happens to be the jackscrews on the
>> VGA connector - but those are there to prevent connector pullout, and
>> may or may not be grounded.  (I use a desktop at the home station).
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>

> 73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45
> ======================================
> BP40IQ   500 KHz - 10-GHz www.kl7uw.com
> <http://www.kl7uw.com/>EME: 50-1.1kw?, 144-1.4kw, 432-QRT, 1296-?, 3400-?
> DUBUS Magazine USA Rep [hidden email]
> /"Kits made by KL7UW" http://www.kl7uw.com/kits.htm
> <http://www.kl7uw.com/kits.htm>
> /======================================

Re: Digital Mode Interface for the KX3 for WSJT modes

Bill,

You may want to re-think using the serial port on your interface.

Most data mode applications like to use the same COM port for rig
control (OK, maybe just frequency display) as they use to activate DTR
or RTS for PTT.

Given that the KX3 supplied cables only have RXD and TXD signals, using
the serial port to generate PTT requires that either you use 2 serial
ports (one may be the KX3 USB cable and the other can be a real port or
USB to Serial adapter), or provide a "Y" adapter to go to your
interface.  Use of the "Y" adapter precludes the use of the KX3 USB cable.

There is nothing wrong with generating PTT from the audio stream, or
just using VOX in the KX3.

On 7/13/2012 9:51 AM, Bill Conkling wrote:

> I am working on an interface in a box w/pcb.  Once you use a box, you can do
> anything.  I plan to have full serial port and two audio cables from
> computer.  Transformers in the audio chain and a 10K/1k attenuator in mic
> input to KX3.  I will split the serial port to provide proper connections
> for CAT, PTT, and CW as n1mm handles the K3.
>
> Whole thing in a 2.5X2.5X1 box.
>
> Big plans....
>
> ...bill nr4c

Re: Digital Mode Interface for the KX3 for WSJT modes

W7GJ, Lance
Hi Don,

The advantage of using the RTS line to trigger the PTT is that some software -
notably WSJT - provides a high signal on the RTS line well in advance of the start of
any audio tones.  This allows those of use who are using amplifiers, preamplifiers
and coaxial relays to avoid "hot switching".  I know most KX3 users are QRPers and
will be using the KX3 barefoot.  However, those of us who plan to use the KX3 with kw
amplifiers do need to be careful not to hot switch things, and having a separate and
real way to turn on the PTT in advance is very attractive.  Although I am extremely
pressed for space and weight in my portable setup, I definitely will be rigging up
something to provide RTS keying, rather than "VOX keying" for digital modes.

As soon as I receive my KX3 and get a chance to start building up a custom interface
system so the KX3 can be used successfully on WSJT modes, I will share my results.

VY 73, Lance

On 7/13/2012 2:12 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Bill,
>
> You may want to re-think using the serial port on your interface.
>
> Most data mode applications like to use the same COM port for rig
> control (OK, maybe just frequency display) as they use to activate DTR
> or RTS for PTT.
>
> Given that the KX3 supplied cables only have RXD and TXD signals, using
> the serial port to generate PTT requires that either you use 2 serial
> ports (one may be the KX3 USB cable and the other can be a real port or
> USB to Serial adapter), or provide a "Y" adapter to go to your
> interface.  Use of the "Y" adapter precludes the use of the KX3 USB cable.
>
> There is nothing wrong with generating PTT from the audio stream, or
> just using VOX in the KX3.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
> On 7/13/2012 9:51 AM, Bill Conkling wrote:
>> I am working on an interface in a box w/pcb.  Once you use a box, you can do
>> anything.  I plan to have full serial port and two audio cables from
>> computer.  Transformers in the audio chain and a 10K/1k attenuator in mic
>> input to KX3.  I will split the serial port to provide proper connections
>> for CAT, PTT, and CW as n1mm handles the K3.
>>
>> Whole thing in a 2.5X2.5X1 box.
>>
>> Big plans....
>>
>> ...bill nr4c

Lance Collister, W7GJ
(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
P.O. Box 73
Frenchtown, MT   59834-0073
USA
TEL: (406) 626-5728
QTH: DN27ub
Windows Messenger: [hidden email]
Skype: lanceW7GJ
2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!

Re: Digital Mode Interface for the KX3 for WSJT modes

Bob Cunnings NW8L
I don't understand this response. Why would he need to use 2 serial
ports or Y adapters? He states that a full serial port will run from
computer to interface box, where the serial signals will be broken out
as required for PTT and CW. Presumably the KXSER rs-232 cable could
run between interface box and the KX3 to convey RXD and TXD. What am I
missing?

Bob NW8L

Bill,

You may want to re-think using the serial port on your interface.

Most data mode applications like to use the same COM port for rig
control (OK, maybe just frequency display) as they use to activate DTR
or RTS for PTT.

Given that the KX3 supplied cables only have RXD and TXD signals, using
the serial port to generate PTT requires that either you use 2 serial
ports (one may be the KX3 USB cable and the other can be a real port or
USB to Serial adapter), or provide a "Y" adapter to go to your
interface.  Use of the "Y" adapter precludes the use of the KX3 USB cable.

There is nothing wrong with generating PTT from the audio stream, or
just using VOX in the KX3.

On 7/13/2012 9:51 AM, Bill Conkling wrote:

> I am working on an interface in a box w/pcb.  Once you use a box, you can do
> anything.  I plan to have full serial port and two audio cables from
> computer.  Transformers in the audio chain and a 10K/1k attenuator in mic
> input to KX3.  I will split the serial port to provide proper connections
> for CAT, PTT, and CW as n1mm handles the K3.
>
> Whole thing in a 2.5X2.5X1 box.
>
> Big plans....
>
> ...bill nr4c

Re: Digital Mode Interface for the KX3 for WSJT modes

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> Given that the KX3 supplied cables only have RXD and TXD signals,
> using the serial port to generate PTT requires that either you use 2
> serial ports (one may be the KX3 USB cable and the other can be a
> real port or USB to Serial adapter), or provide a "Y" adapter to go
> to your interface.

Or simply provide a 3.5mm stereo jack on the interface for connection
to the KX3 CAT jack.  Properly wired, TxD/RxD go to the KX3 while
DTR and RTS get split off (in the box) to a pair (or more) of NPN
transistors for CW and PTT.

The difficulty in dealing with a computer interface for the KX3 is
the last of a fixed level audio output and the need to share audio
with the operator headphones/speaker.  Levels for computer decoding
and operator comfort are not always the same <G> which means a
buffer/splitter amplifier, external speakers with separate volume
control and headphone jack or some other "extra box".

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 7/13/2012 10:12 AM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Bill,
>
> You may want to re-think using the serial port on your interface.
>
> Most data mode applications like to use the same COM port for rig
> control (OK, maybe just frequency display) as they use to activate DTR
> or RTS for PTT.
>
> Given that the KX3 supplied cables only have RXD and TXD signals, using
> the serial port to generate PTT requires that either you use 2 serial
> ports (one may be the KX3 USB cable and the other can be a real port or
> USB to Serial adapter), or provide a "Y" adapter to go to your
> interface.  Use of the "Y" adapter precludes the use of the KX3 USB cable.
>
> There is nothing wrong with generating PTT from the audio stream, or
> just using VOX in the KX3.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
> On 7/13/2012 9:51 AM, Bill Conkling wrote:
>> I am working on an interface in a box w/pcb.  Once you use a box, you can do
>> anything.  I plan to have full serial port and two audio cables from
>> computer.  Transformers in the audio chain and a 10K/1k attenuator in mic
>> input to KX3.  I will split the serial port to provide proper connections
>> for CAT, PTT, and CW as n1mm handles the K3.
>>
>> Whole thing in a 2.5X2.5X1 box.
>>
>> Big plans....
>>
>> ...bill nr4c

Re: Digital Mode Interface for the KX3 for WSJT modes

What is missing is that the KXSER serial cable carries only wires for
TXD and RXD.
Furthermore, the backshell is molded, so you cannot open it and add the
wires.

To use PTT from RTS or DTE, you would have to use a regular serial cable
to your interface box, and then provide an outlet from that box to plug
the KXSER cable into, and route the TXD and RXD signals on to the KX3.

If one chooses to use the KXUSB cable, you would need 2 ports to use PTT
from RTS or DTR.- one having the RTS or DTR signals and the other being
a port associated with the USB to serial chip.

On 7/13/2012 11:52 AM, Bob Cunnings wrote:

> I don't understand this response. Why would he need to use 2 serial
> ports or Y adapters? He states that a full serial port will run from
> computer to interface box, where the serial signals will be broken out
> as required for PTT and CW. Presumably the KXSER rs-232 cable could
> run between interface box and the KX3 to convey RXD and TXD. What am I
> missing?
>
> Bob NW8L
>
> Bill,
>
> You may want to re-think using the serial port on your interface.
>
> Most data mode applications like to use the same COM port for rig
> control (OK, maybe just frequency display) as they use to activate DTR
> or RTS for PTT.
>
> Given that the KX3 supplied cables only have RXD and TXD signals, using
> the serial port to generate PTT requires that either you use 2 serial
> ports (one may be the KX3 USB cable and the other can be a real port or
> USB to Serial adapter), or provide a "Y" adapter to go to your
> interface.  Use of the "Y" adapter precludes the use of the KX3 USB cable.
>
> There is nothing wrong with generating PTT from the audio stream, or
> just using VOX in the KX3.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
> On 7/13/2012 9:51 AM, Bill Conkling wrote:
>> I am working on an interface in a box w/pcb.  Once you use a box, you can do
>> anything.  I plan to have full serial port and two audio cables from
>> computer.  Transformers in the audio chain and a 10K/1k attenuator in mic
>> input to KX3.  I will split the serial port to provide proper connections
>> for CAT, PTT, and CW as n1mm handles the K3.
>>
>> Whole thing in a 2.5X2.5X1 box.
>>
>> Big plans....
>>
>> ...bill nr4c

Re: Digital Mode Interface for the KX3 for WSJT modes

Joe,

That will work, BUT neither the KXSER or KXUSB cables could be used -
they do not contain RTS or DTR signals.

> [...]

> interface.  Use of the "Y" adapter precludes the use of the KX3 USB cable.
>
> There is nothing wrong with generating PTT from the audio stream, or
> just using VOX in the KX3.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
> On 7/13/2012 9:51 AM, Bill Conkling wrote:
>> I am working on an interface in a box w/pcb.  Once you use a box, you can
do

>> anything.  I plan to have full serial port and two audio cables from
>> computer.  Transformers in the audio chain and a 10K/1k attenuator in mic
>> input to KX3.  I will split the serial port to provide proper connections
>> for CAT, PTT, and CW as n1mm handles the K3.
>>
>> Whole thing in a 2.5X2.5X1 box.
>>
>> Big plans....
>>
>> ...bill nr4c

Re: Digital Mode Interface for the KX3 for WSJT modes

My laptop has a real serial port.  I plan to use a reg cable to my i/f box
and split out from there.  Not using any Elecraft serial parts.

Found the 4 wire rt-angle plug w/wire on Mouser.  Just started planning pcb.