FW: TEN-TEC announces new amplifier

vk4tux

"TEN-TEC Inc. Announces the Model 418
160-6 Meter Solid State Linear Amplifier in stock and ready for shipment
Generating 100 Watts of output from as little as 5 Watts of input, the Model 418 Amplifier raises the bar for reliable and efficient recreational, emergency, and even contest communications.
TEN-TEC Engineers have utilized state of the art, silicon MOSFET technology to create a continuous 100% duty cycle operations in both CW and SSB Modes. The Model 418 is also compliant with AM, FM, AFSK, and PSK modes of operation.
Measuring only 3.625” x 6.5” x 7.6” inches and weighing just 5.4 lbs, the Model 418 will operate from any 13.8VDC (+/-15%), 20 Amp power source.
Designed to interface with the new TEN-TEC Model 539 QRP Transceiver, the Model 418 amplifier can be easily connected to most low power transmitter designs (20 Watts or less input). The amplifier’s comprehensive User’s Manual and TEN-TEC’s industry standard Technical Support department make set up quick and easy.
The Model 418 can switch bands automatically or manually. It also has a two position manual antenna switch. Bypass operation allows low power operation until higher power is needed.
The Model 418’s large LCD front panel readout gives the operator essential information about Output Power, SWR, Operating Voltage, and even Operating Temperature.
The TEN-TEC Model 418 Amplifier is competitively priced at $785.00"

How does this compare to the Elecraft 100w amp for the KX3?

Adrian ... vk4tux

Re: FW: TEN-TEC announces new amplifier

N0AZZ
Almost $800 for a 100w amp???

Fred/N0AZZ

[...]

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: FW: TEN-TEC announces new amplifier

Vic Rosenthal
This part got my interest

> TEN-TEC Inc. Announces the Model 418
> 160-6 Meter Solid State Linear Amplifier in stock and ready for shipment

But then I read this

> Generating 100 Watts of output from as little as 5 Watts of input

And finally, this:

> The TEN-TEC Model 418 Amplifier is competitively priced at $785.00

They must be kidding!

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: FW: TEN-TEC announces new amplifier

Matt Zilmer
Any specs shown on this?

matt W6NIA

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 20:28:57 -0700, you wrote:

>This part got my interest
>
>> TEN-TEC Inc. Announces the Model 418
>> 160-6 Meter Solid State Linear Amplifier in stock and ready for shipment
>
>But then I read this
>
>> Generating 100 Watts of output from as little as 5 Watts of input
>
>And finally, this:
>
>> The TEN-TEC Model 418 Amplifier is competitively priced at $785.00
>
>They must be kidding!

Re: FW: TEN-TEC announces new amplifier

Bob Cunnings NW8L
Specs, manual etc. are all available on the Ten-Tec website:

http://www.tentec.com/products/160%252d6-Meter-Solid-State-Linear-Amplifier.html

I'm not sure about QSK operation. From the product brochure:

"Amplifier keyed form direct connection to foot switch,hand switch, or
straight key.
Key Out from amplifier is provided to key radio."

>From the manual:

"The rear panel on the 418 has a 1/8” stereo
jack for connection of a key input and key
output.  The tip is used as the key input to key
the 418 and the ring is used as a key out for
other configurations. The key out has a 4
millisecond delay to allow the amplifier’s
relays to engage to prevent hot switching. The
key out is not a relay.  It is a transistor switch
rated for a maximum of 24 volts and 250 mA.
Note: You can not use paddles to key this
amplifier."

Bob NW8L

>Any specs shown on this?
>
>matt W6NIA

Re: FW: TEN-TEC announces new amplifier

vk4tux
Specifications

 Amplifier typical gain: 13db

RF input: 1 to 20 watts

Operating Voltage: 13.8 volts +/- 15% (20 amp power source required)

Frequency Range: 160 through 6 meters (ham bands only)

RF output Power: 100 Watts, +/- 1 db (with typical 5 watts drive)

Operating Modes: AM, FM, AFSK, PSK, SSB, CW

Duty Cycle: 50% (TX/RX) 100 watts output. 100% for CW and SSB

Front Panel Display: Custom FSTN monochrome LCD

Display Back Lighting: 6 LEDs,for more than 200 color options

Cooling: 2 internal fans, temperature controlled

Harmonic & Spurious Outputs: -50dBc Typical @ 100 Watts HF, -60dBc Typical 6
Meters

Third Order Intermod: 30 dB below peak

Dimensions (HxWxD): 3.625" x 6.5" x 7.6" (excluding feet and connectors)

Weight: 5.4 lbs

DC Power Connector: Power Poles

Fuse (back panel): 25 Amp, Automotive Blade Style

Key Jack: 1/8" Stereo Tip-Key In Ring-Key Out

ACC Din Connector: 8 Pin DIN, Key In, Clock/Data/Enable, Ground

Construction: Molded Plastic bezel, Aluminum chassis, front & rear panels &
textured painted steel covers

Antenna Impedance: 50 ohms nominal

Automatic fault for: Antenna mismatch(output power >50 watts), Over current,
Over temperature, and high input power

Works with most antennas (SWR less than 3:1)

Easy plug and play operation with Ten-Tec model 539 QRP radio

Separate antenna connector provided for automatic switch to six meter
antenna

Works with most QRP radios

RF connectors: 1 RF input, 3 RF outputs (two HF & One 6 meter)

Amplifier keyed from direct connection to foot switch, hand switch, or
straight key. Key Out from amplifier is provided to key radio.

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 20:28:57 -0700, you wrote:

>This part got my interest
>
>> TEN-TEC Inc. Announces the Model 418
>> 160-6 Meter Solid State Linear Amplifier in stock and ready for shipment
>
>But then I read this
>
>> Generating 100 Watts of output from as little as 5 Watts of input
>
>And finally, this:
>
>> The TEN-TEC Model 418 Amplifier is competitively priced at $785.00
>
>They must be kidding!

Re: FW: TEN-TEC announces new amplifier

KV5J
And you think the KXPA100 is going to sell for much less.  Internal unit KPA3 is $500.  Look at the pix of the KXPA100 and I can see $200-300 to enclose it in that case.

Keith, XE3/K5ENS

Re: FW: TEN-TEC announces new amplifier

Vic Rosenthal
If a 100w amplifier has to cost $800, then it is going to be difficult to market. Just my
unsubstantiated gut feeling.

Personally, if I had a KX3 and wanted 100 watts when operating from my shack, I would
throw something together from the junk box, probably with vacuum tubes. But that's just me :-)

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: FW: TEN-TEC announces new amplifier

KV5J
It can't sell near the price of the KPA3 because it would kill alot of the KPA3 sales.

Re: FW: TEN-TEC announces new amplifier

Thomas Horsten
Unlikely, I wouldn't be without the internal 100W in my K3.

Thomas

On 12 August 2012 22:07, Keith-K5ENS <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It can't sell near the price of the KPA3 because it would kill alot of the
> KPA3 sales.

Re: FW: TEN-TEC announces new amplifier

Edward R Cole
$785 on the face of it looks high.  The K3 internal 100w amp costs
$500 installed and $450 as a kit.  But is it not a stand-alone unit
so missing chassis and connectors and other items.  I believe the
KXPA-100 was targeted for about $800 (Wayne/Eric correct me if wrong).

I am still working on making up CCI AN762 PA kits with auto-band
control (option) and internal LP filter board in a 5.5x5.5x11.0 inch
package.  I still have the prototype filter board to submit for
estimates from the pc fabricator.  My pre-production est. cost is
$449 for 5w/140w 13.6vdc 160-10m amp.

http://www.kl7uw.com
take the link to Kits "made" by KL7UW

73, Ed - KL7UW

Re: FW: TEN-TEC announces new amplifier

David Gilbert

You forgot the SWR/power meter and LCD display ...

Dave   AB7E

On 8/12/2012 3:07 PM, Edward R Cole wrote:
> $785 on the face of it looks high.  The K3 internal 100w amp costs
> $500 installed and $450 as a kit.  But is it not a stand-alone unit
> so missing chassis and connectors and other items.

Re: FW: TEN-TEC announces new amplifier

Don Wilhelm-4
I suspect the SWR/Power meter and LCD display for the KXPA3 will appear
on the K3 display.

It works that way with the K2 having the KPA100/KAT100 mounted remotely
in an EC2 enclosure - I expect nothing less from the KX3 and KAPA3.]

For use with transceivers other than the KX3, the KXPA3 may have its own
display, but I will not be able to see that when it is mounted in the
trunk of my Mazda.

On 8/12/2012 7:28 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

> You forgot the SWR/power meter and LCD display ...
>
> Dave   AB7E
>

> On 8/12/2012 3:07 PM, Edward R Cole wrote:
>> $785 on the face of it looks high.  The K3 internal 100w amp costs
>> $500 installed and $450 as a kit.  But is it not a stand-alone unit
>> so missing chassis and connectors and other items.

Re: FW: TEN-TEC announces new amplifier

John KLim
Hi all

Is this the TEN-TEC reflector?

Enough on this topic PLEASE, PLEASE.

Will someone create a new group just for this new amp?

73 ES CUL  DE  N3KHK
John R. Klim II
ARRL LM, AMSAT LM
10-10:  68135
30MDG:  1820
QSL:  LoTW, Bureau, Direct, eQSL as a courtesy

Re: FW: TEN-TEC announces new amplifier

David Gilbert

Whether you see it or not it will still be there and will have cost you
money to have it.  I was only trying to keep the discussion on the cost
of the TenTec amp versus the KXPA3 from being apples versus oranges.

Dave   AB7E

On 8/12/2012 4:36 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> I suspect the SWR/Power meter and LCD display for the KXPA3 will
> appear on the K3 display.
>
> It works that way with the K2 having the KPA100/KAT100 mounted
> remotely in an EC2 enclosure - I expect nothing less from the KX3 and
> KAPA3.]
>
> For use with transceivers other than the KX3, the KXPA3 may have its
> own display, but I will not be able to see that when it is mounted in
> the trunk of my Mazda.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 8/12/2012 7:28 PM, David Gilbert wrote:
>> You forgot the SWR/power meter and LCD display ...
>>
>> Dave   AB7E
>>

>> On 8/12/2012 3:07 PM, Edward R Cole wrote:
>>> $785 on the face of it looks high.  The K3 internal 100w amp costs
>>> $500 installed and $450 as a kit.  But is it not a stand-alone unit
>>> so missing chassis and connectors and other items.
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: FW: TEN-TEC announces new amplifier

w7aqk
Hi All,

Actually, I think this thread is totally relevant to this reflector given
the fact that it has the capability of mating nicely to the KX3!  It's not
like we are discussing something that bears absolutely no relationship to an
Elecraft product.

In any event, I would add a few comments about the new Ten-Tec amp.  I do
agree it seems to be very "aggressively" priced--in the wrong direction--but
that's Ten-Tec's call.  I can't honestly say whether or not it is justified,
but apparently the folks in Sevierville think it is.

A good friend of mine, W5JAY, was a field tester on this amp, and he and I
did some on the air testing with it while he had it.  I know Jay was
reasonably impressed with the product, and he doesn't give positive
impressions easily.  I was actually going to do some "hands on" testing of
it after Jay was done, but I had to decline because of our pending trip up
here to the northwest.  Besides, I don't think I could have added much to
the process since Jay is very good at putting equipment through it's paces.
Anyway, what I "heard" sounded very good, and what Jay was seeing first hand
seemed to suggest that the amp was a good product.  I also saw it at Dayton,
and it does, indeed, appear to have a lot of redeeming features.

I have every reason to assume that the upcoming Elecraft amp will very
effectively compete with Ten-Tec's product.  I'm sure most of us hope it
will compete effectively as to price as well.  I'd be hard pressed to
justify Ten-Tec's pricing in my budget, but I also have a couple of options
on hand already.  Heck!  I even still have my old Ten-Tec 405 linear, from
my days of operating with the original Argonauts.  In any event, it will be
up to Elecraft to make their product more desirable, and I wouldn't bet they
won't do it.  I'm thinking, but I just can't bring any Elecraft product to
mind that didn't have, when it was introduced, some really unique and
intriguing features to it.

Anyway, while I know there is a very large amount of interest in an amp like
this, given the incredible success of the KX3, I'd be very reluctant to jump
on Ten-Tec's offering before I knew for sure just what the Elecraft is going
to offer.  I think we've already been given a bunch of clues about close
compatibility.  For just a small example, look at the instructions for the
KX3 regarding antenna selection and tuner operation.  We've all heard it
said that "patience is a virtue", and this may be a very good opportunity to
learn how true that is.

Dave W7AQK

N3KHK Said:

Hi all

Is this the TEN-TEC reflector?

Enough on this topic PLEASE, PLEASE.

Will someone create a new group just for this new amp?

73 ES CUL  DE  N3KHK

Re: FW: TEN-TEC announces new amplifier

Edward R Cole
David and Don,  I will have a ten segment bar-meter to show output
power (and maybe reflected) power on my amps.  But no connection to
feed K3 or KX3 with SWR data.  The AN762 and EB27A both will have a
PTC to control a fan. and LED for overtemp indication.  No plans to
include SWR/overtemp foldback on gain.  I am trying to hold price and
that gets difficult when you add the "kitchen sink"!

Go thru the process of sourcing parts on a piece of equipment like an
amp and one gets real appreciation for costs.

73, Ed
I am harboring hope to bring a few assembled amps to an outside booth
at Dayton next year.

Re: FW: TEN-TEC announces new amplifier

vk4tux
Why irrelevant? The ten tec amp is a very good match for the KX3, let's
learn about it, then see what Elecraft offer's to better this
 deal in hardware and price.

That's what it is about, letting Elecraft know the benchmark, but I'm sure
they have done their research because they are smart.

So if you think it's irrelevant pull your head outa the sand, and don't be
like the Ostrich.

Re: FW: TEN-TEC announces new amplifier

vk4tux
Why do you need that connection? As long as the amp has its own swr
protection /bypass switching mode, then the k3/kx3 only needs to look at the
amp input match using its own swr detection and determine its power output
into the amp input.

If the load goes bad the amp protects itself, stays in bypass, then presents
the mismatch direct to the k3/kx3 which also then protects itself. A no
brainer.