K3 New fw loader

alsopb
Installed this (1.2.3.18).  Removed old loader first.
It appears to set the rig in AFSK A mode for digital overriding what was
last used.  My digital mode is always set to FSK D.
Happened last night when testing with FW3.06 and today with FW3.10.
This did not happen with the older loader/FW3.06

Anybody else seeing this?

73 de Brian/K3KO

Re: K3 New fw loader

Doug Joyce
Brian:  I loaded K3 Utility 1.2.3.18  and then FW 3.10 / 2.15  this AM - it
did not disturb my FSK D settings.

73,  Doug  VE3MV  K3/100 s/n 2432

> Installed this (1.2.3.18).  Removed old loader first.
> It appears to set the rig in AFSK A mode for digital overriding what was
> last used.  My digital mode is always set to FSK D.
> Happened last night when testing with FW3.06 and today with FW3.10.
> This did not happen with the older loader/FW3.06
>
> Anybody else seeing this?
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO

Re: K3 New fw loader

Joe Planisky
Hi Brian,

I noticed similar behavior back in March and reported it to the list
on March 9th.  So I don't think it's necessarily new with the new
utility or firmware.  Unfortunately, I've never been able to reproduce
the problem consistently, so it remains a mystery.

Joe KB8AP

On Apr 16, 2009, at 12:42 PM, Brian Alsop wrote:

> Installed this (1.2.3.18).  Removed old loader first.
> It appears to set the rig in AFSK A mode for digital overriding what
> was
> last used.  My digital mode is always set to FSK D.
> Happened last night when testing with FW3.06 and today with FW3.10.
> This did not happen with the older loader/FW3.06
>
> Anybody else seeing this?
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO

Re: K3 New fw loader

Dick Dievendorff
I know of no code in the K3 Utility that intentionally changes the Data
Submode. There are cases where the K3 Utility saves (and usually restores)
some rig settings (notably Auto Info, Text to Terminal, K2 and K3 modes),
and during the Tx Gain calibration test a number of rig parameters are
changed (and for those I can, restored), but data submode is not one of the
things I touch.

Dick, K6KR

Re: K3 New fw loader

Bill Johnson-9
A well used OS can result in corruption... anti virus programs, etc., can
all raise cane with how your system works.  Don't forget the first thing to
do when you are having a software/hardware issue is to reboot.  That can
help clear up a large majority of issues.  This is where the "mysteries" can
develop.

Bill

K9YEQ

Bill Johnson
WR Johnson Consulting
dba Creekside Computing
920-421-1172
PO Box 877
3868 Cty Hwy F
Fish Creek, WI 54212
I noticed similar behavior back in March and reported it to the list
on March 9th.  So I don't think it's necessarily new with the new
utility or firmware.  Unfortunately, I've never been able to reproduce
the problem consistently, so it remains a mystery.

Joe KB8AP

On Apr 16, 2009, at 12:42 PM, Brian Alsop wrote:

> Installed this (1.2.3.18).  Removed old loader first.
> It appears to set the rig in AFSK A mode for digital overriding what
> was
> last used.  My digital mode is always set to FSK D.
> Happened last night when testing with FW3.06 and today with FW3.10.
> This did not happen with the older loader/FW3.06
>
> Anybody else seeing this?
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO

Re: K3 New fw loader

alsopb
Guys,

I've been able to reproduce this.   No idea where it is coming from.
It may not be the loader but something in 3.06 or 3.10.  Odd that I
don't recall seeing it in many weeks of using 3.06.    Since I never use
DATA A but switch a lot between FSK D, CW and SSB, it should have jumped
out.

Here are the steps.
1) Set digital mode to FSK -D.   Verify it is there correctly
2) Set mode to CW.
3) Turn radio off .
4) Turn radio back on
5) Look at the digital mode.   It becomes DATA A.

Will try a new download and reload of 3.10.

73 de Brian/K3KO
Dick Dievendorff wrote:

>I know of no code in the K3 Utility that intentionally changes the Data
>Submode. There are cases where the K3 Utility saves (and usually restores)
>some rig settings (notably Auto Info, Text to Terminal, K2 and K3 modes),
>and during the Tx Gain calibration test a number of rig parameters are
>changed (and for those I can, restored), but data submode is not one of the
>things I touch.
>
>Dick, K6KR

Re: K3 New fw loader

KK7P
> Here are the steps.
> 1) Set digital mode to FSK -D.   Verify it is there correctly
> 2) Set mode to CW.
> 3) Turn radio off .
> 4) Turn radio back on
> 5) Look at the digital mode.   It becomes DATA A.

I followed these steps, and my Data mode remains FSK.

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: K3 New fw loader

Stephen  Prior
Well, on my K3 I have to agree with Brian, following his steps does cause on
my #980 with latest 3.10 the data mode to return to Data A.  Since Data A is
the only one I use I had not noticed it before.

73 Stephen G4SJP

On 16/04/2009 23:47, "Lyle Johnson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Here are the steps.
>> 1) Set digital mode to FSK -D.   Verify it is there correctly
>> 2) Set mode to CW.
>> 3) Turn radio off .
>> 4) Turn radio back on
>> 5) Look at the digital mode.   It becomes DATA A.
>
> I followed these steps, and my Data mode remains FSK.
>
> 73,
>
> Lyle KK7P

Re: K3 New fw loader

Ken Wagner K3IU
I just tried it 5 times. The first time it came up FSK D, and every time
after that it came up DATA A . Go figure.
I don't think it has anything to do with the K3 Utility, though.
73,
Ken K3IU
Lyle Johnson wrote:

>> Here are the steps.
>> 1) Set digital mode to FSK -D.   Verify it is there correctly
>> 2) Set mode to CW.
>> 3) Turn radio off .
>> 4) Turn radio back on
>> 5) Look at the digital mode.   It becomes DATA A.
>>

> I followed these steps, and my Data mode remains FSK.
>
> 73,
>
> Lyle KK7P

Re: K3 New fw loader

Bob Serwy
I just did the same steps (twice) and my data mode did change to DATA A
(both times).  Using 3.10.

Bob Serwy - N9RS

> 1) Set digital mode to FSK -D.   Verify it is there correctly
> 2) Set mode to CW.
> 3) Turn radio off .
> 4) Turn radio back on
> 5) Look at the digital mode.   It becomes DATA A.

I followed these steps, and my Data mode remains FSK.

73,

Lyle KK7P

16:38:00

Re: K3 New fw loader

Robert Dorchuck
I just tried it several times on two K3's and it came up DATA A every
time.

Bob  W6VY

----- Original Message ----- >>> Here are the steps.
>>> 1) Set digital mode to FSK -D.   Verify it is there correctly
>>> 2) Set mode to CW.
>>> 3) Turn radio off .
>>> 4) Turn radio back on
>>> 5) Look at the digital mode.   It becomes DATA A.
>>>

>> I followed these steps, and my Data mode remains FSK.

Re: K3 New fw loader

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

Just tried it five consecutive times and FSK D was retained all
five times.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Re: K3 New fw loader

Dave Hachadorian
I just tried it once each on two different K3's, and they
each switched from FSK D to DATA A.

Both radios run 3.10, loaded with the new utility.

I never change modes with the mode switch (I use memories),
so I never would have noticed this if I hadn't specifically
tried to duplicate it.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

> Just tried it five consecutive times and FSK D was
> retained all
> five times.
>
> 73,
>
>   ... Joe, W4TV

Re: K3 New fw loader

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

Strange ... I'm also running 3.10 loaded with the new utility.
I loaded 3.10, DSP1 2.15, DSP2, 2.15, FP 1.00 and the data
tables twice.  Power was cycled power between the two uploads.

I have not checked the second K3 ... it's offline at the moment
waiting for me to make a couple of the updates.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Re: K3 New fw loader

N2TK
Yep, here too.
I tried setting mode to both CW and SSB. With either mode digital mode goes
to DATA A when turning back on.

73,
N2TK, Tony

I just tried it several times on two K3's and it came up DATA A every
time.

Bob  W6VY

----- Original Message ----- >>> Here are the steps.
>>> 1) Set digital mode to FSK -D.   Verify it is there correctly
>>> 2) Set mode to CW.
>>> 3) Turn radio off .
>>> 4) Turn radio back on
>>> 5) Look at the digital mode.   It becomes DATA A.
>>>

>> I followed these steps, and my Data mode remains FSK.

Re: K3 New fw loader

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> Perhaps if we knew which S/N's are involved that might also
> help unravel what's going on.
>
> Mine is #1129.  Another reported his #980 had it.   W3FPR is
> seeing it also.  I believe he has an even older K3.

I don't understand it either ... I've been TRYING to duplicate
the symptoms and can't make the rig come up in anything except
FSK D when that's where it was set.  S/N is 622 but I've heard
of "failures" with both higher and lower s/n.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Re: K3 New fw loader

drewko
My K3 always resets to Data A on power up. I noticed this in version
2.78 when I first tried the data modes.

73,
Drew
AF2Z

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 01:51:20 -0400, Joe, W4TV wrote:

>Strange ... I'm also running 3.10 loaded with the new utility.
>I loaded 3.10, DSP1 2.15, DSP2, 2.15, FP 1.00 and the data
>tables twice.  Power was cycled power between the two uploads.
>
>I have not checked the second K3 ... it's offline at the moment
>waiting for me to make a couple of the updates.
>
>73,
>
>   ... Joe, W4TV

Re: K3 New fw loader

Steve Ellington
Joe: Did you by chance skip the step where you change to CW before turning
off the rig? If I skip that, it comes back in FSK-D but if not, it changes
to Data A
Steve Ellington
[hidden email]
> My K3 always resets to Data A on power up. I noticed this in version
> 2.78 when I first tried the data modes.
>
> 73,
> Drew
> AF2Z
>

> On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 01:51:20 -0400, Joe, W4TV wrote:
>

>>Strange ... I'm also running 3.10 loaded with the new utility.
>>I loaded 3.10, DSP1 2.15, DSP2, 2.15, FP 1.00 and the data
>>tables twice.  Power was cycled power between the two uploads.
>>
>>I have not checked the second K3 ... it's offline at the moment
>>waiting for me to make a couple of the updates.
>>
>>73,
>>
>>   ... Joe, W4TV

Re: K3 New fw loader

Joe and all,

It seems much of Elecraft has gone to Visalia for the weekend, so we may
not get any further ideas until they return.

The serial number is not the best indicator of the K3 vintage until
after the extreme backlog was cleared last year.  If you recall, factory
assembled K3s spent longer at Aptos than the kits, and serial numbers
were pre-assigned at the time the order was pulled.  The date of
manufacture (or shipment) is a much better indicator of vintage for K3s
during that backlog period.

Mine is of the December 2007 vintage and it has the same behavior as
Brian's which is June '08.  It would appear that many earlier K3s do not
display the same behavior.

*If* the Data mode is stored in EEPROM, then I do have a good guess for
the source, but we will have to wait on Wayne and Lyle for that
information - patience is good, the problem has been identified and it
will not be ignored.

Many thanks to Brian for spotting this.  My data mode stays in DATA A
normally so I for one would not have noticed in normal operation.

Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

>> Perhaps if we knew which S/N's are involved that might also
>> help unravel what's going on.
>>
>> Mine is #1129.  Another reported his #980 had it.   W3FPR is
>> seeing it also.  I believe he has an even older K3.
>>

> I don't understand it either ... I've been TRYING to duplicate
> the symptoms and can't make the rig come up in anything except
> FSK D when that's where it was set.  S/N is 622 but I've heard
> of "failures" with both higher and lower s/n.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV

Re: K3 New fw loader

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

Don,

> The date of manufacture (or shipment) is a much better indicator
> of vintage for K3s during that backlog period.
>
> Mine is of the December 2007 vintage and it has the same behavior
> as Brian's which is June '08.  It would appear that many earlier
> K3s do not

My first unit is between yours an Brian's ... I can't see the
failure as date of manufacture related.  S/N 622 was a kit -
staged in the factory in early April 2008 and received almost
exactly one year ago.

However, out of curiosity, I connected the second K3 (S/N 1450 -
kit, manufactured in August 2008) and updated its firmware.  The
second unit exhibits the "failure." Both units have identical
options and all settings are as nearly identical as I can make
them from memory.  The "failure" will be a real PITA for RTTY
operator unless one is using AFSK with a non-standard mark
frequency!

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV