K3 P3 and KAT500

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

KG7FYI
Thanks K2ULR. I have fond memories of calling home from Okinawa in '64
via MARS. It was a fantastic service to the troops. Now I hear there is
very little of that going on. Satellite internet seems to be the rage.
We do have several MARS folks in our club and one in the immediate area
of concern.

73

On 04/27/2017 02:37 PM, Raymond Sills [via Elecraft] wrote:

> Good points.  And, besides that.. MARS communication deals with a
> military connection.. i.e. sending messages to or from deployed
> service people, either as written text (morse, digital, etc) or voice,
> often via phone patches.
>

> 73 de Ray
> K2ULR

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Stan KG7FYI

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

Nr4c
28.400 is part of SSB phone bandplan and should be usable on any K3 or other HF radio.

FM is usually operated above 29.00 I believe, but you need the 13KHz filter for FM.

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill

> On Apr 27, 2017, at 9:18 AM, KG7FYI <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for all the input.
> I hope you aren't getting the impression that I am preparing to be a loose
> cannon. We regularly carry on sets in anticipation of the type of
> emergencies the State is preparing for. Nonetheless my desire is to have as
> many options as possible available for our small community. We have been
> submitting grant proposals to upgrade our 2M equipment to be better
> integrated into the ARES net system here. On the other hand our ARES usually
> also does check ins on 28.400 MHZ which is not open on my K3. Not reasonable
> at all, hence my hope to scale things up. Our ARES group has done ARES/RACES
> certification to qualify for participation. I'll touch in with our club to
> see where we are regarding our RACES commitment. In the mean time also I'll
> make contact on my own. Thanks.
>

> -----
> Stan KG7FYI

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

KG7FYI
Words of wisdom. That ranks high with me, Ron.
Fortunately this is not my first rodeo and such are the times. I'm
willing to be beat over the head and shoulders if I learn what I came
here for. :)

73, Stan KG7FYI

On 04/27/2017 04:36 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> I routinely use the delete key for such outbursts and try to avoid judging
> someone by their worst comment.
>
> 73, Ron AC7AC

Stan KG7FYI

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Looks like we've beaten this OT thread to death. Let's let it rest for now.
Thread closed.

73,
Eric
Moderator
/elecraft.com/

> Yes, anyone is allowed to use any mode or frequency in an emergency, by FCC rules.
>
> But…

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

KG7FYI
Nothing like beating a dead horse to hamburger to make friends :) I've
made some excellent private contacts through this so a win in the end.
Thanks for intervening. Like all communities there's the rough and the
polished. Thanks for letting it go long enough for me to learn a few
things.

73

Stan
Never Does Nature Say One Thing and Wisdom Another
    ~~~~ o o o  -.-  --.  --...  ..-.  -.--  .. ><((((º>
Stanley Petrowski KG7FYI
President/Director SURCP.org
Committee for Amateur Radio Emergency Services
(CARES/SURCP.org)
[hidden email]

On 04/27/2017 06:14 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft [via Elecraft] wrote:

> Looks like we've beaten this OT thread to death. Let's let it rest for
> now.
> Thread closed.
>
> 73,
> Eric
> Moderator
> /elecraft.com/
>
> On 4/27/2017 4:02 PM, Walter Underwood wrote:
> > Yes, anyone is allowed to use any mode or frequency in an emergency,
> by FCC rules.
> >
> > But…

> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7630059&i=0>

> Message delivered to [hidden email]
> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7630059&i=1>

> <
> NAML
> <
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Stan KG7FYI

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

KG7FYI
Hi Marvin,

Thanks for the email. Here's where we stand at the moment.

I am certified ICS 100, ICS 100b, ICS 200, IS-00700a (NIMS), ICS 800B
and others.

Organizationally we are Red Cross, UVARC (Umpqua Valley Radio Club),
Douglas County ARES on the local and State level. Our local are on top
of our game. Our EOC is located in the Douglas County Sheriff's Office.
(Lot's of hoops there- finger prints etc.) When we do sets it is with
State emergency services, local hospitals, the VA medical center, SARS
(Search and Rescue) etc.

Geographically we are in the Cascadia Subduction Zone high impact area.
Considerations are tsunami, quake, floods. The State of Oregon has
provided tsunami and quake damage modeling data that is dialed into
various possible Richter Scale scenarios. The big one is overdue by an
estimated 50 years.

Our very local scenario is filled with mountains and valleys. We are the
land of “One Hundred Valleys”. Actually there are thousands of them! 2M
is very spotty. The USFS ( I have 80 acres in the middle of Umpqua
National Forest ) radio infrastructure is miserable. Cut backs of
appropriated $. We coordinate with County SARS.

I am personally CERT certified.

At one stage of my long life I was an EMT for some time.

Solar, generator and grid.

Our ARES group requires go bags for all vehicles. Few people but a lot
of livestock and gardens here.

My only concern was availability of frequency bandwidth. We have a least
two Extra Class licenses in the community and one MARS certified.
Unfortunately they are many 15+ miles away deep in a valley.

We're trying.

73
Stan KG7FYI

On 04/27/2017 08:08 AM, Marvin Wheeler [via Elecraft] wrote:

> Eric:
>
> Speaking as a former professional Emergency Management Coordinator you
> are
> asking to be able to do something that will not endear you to neither the
> County, State, or Federal Agencies.
>
> Having persons uninformed with net operations is totally disruptive to
> the
> point, at times, that all traffic stops. Not only will you incur the
> wrath
> of these agencies you well might incur the wrath of the FCC. Just because
> there is an emergency does not give you Carte Blanc to use radio
> equipment
> as ones private forum.
>
> There is, however, systems in place that welcome participation like
> yours.
> Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service (RACES) is an organization provided
> for in Part 97 of the Federal Communications Commission rules and
> regulations governing amateur radio. RACES stations are licensed to do
> exactly what it seems you wish to prepare to do.
>
> I would recommend you contact the Oregon Department of Emergency
> Management
> and describe exactly what you wish to do. You probably will  be surprised
> how receptive they will be.
>
> Our office location:
> 3225 State St., Room 115
> Salem, Oregon 97301
> Map/Directions
>
> Hours of Operation:
> 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday - Friday
> The Oregon Office of Emergency Management observes all state holidays
> including Martin Luther King Jr. Day, President's Day, Memorial Day,
> Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, Christmas Day and New Year's
> Day.
>
> Loose cannons generally don't hit their aiming point but instead wreak
> collateral damage.
>
> Marv - KG7V
> K3S, KPA 500, KAT 500

Stan KG7FYI

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

KG7FYI
Thanks Matt. Nope all bands are set to In. I am unable to dial 28.400.
The band jumps from 24.842 to 28.676. Perhaps I should try dropping
everything down to default settings and see what happens?

73
Stan KG7FYI

On 04/27/2017 10:44 AM, Matt Zilmer-3 [via Elecraft] wrote:

> BND MAP may be set to OFF for 10m on his K3.  See p54 of the Owner's
> Manual.
>
> 73,
>
> matt W6NIA
>

> On 4/27/2017 9:49 AM, Harry Yingst via Elecraft wrote:
>
> > 28.400  is within the 10 meter band and your K3 should work just
> fine there (Mine does)
> > That being said 28.4 may not be your best choice as it tends to be a
> calling frequency of sorts and even though they may not hear you you
> may hear them

Stan KG7FYI

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

Matt Zilmer-3
This is very confusing, Stan.  Are you saying that if you tap BAND (up),
you move from 24 to 28.676 MHz and then can't dial VFO A down to 28.4?

Explanation of why this is confusing / strange / whatever:  VFO A is
just an optical encoder with A/B outputs.  A and B act in quadrature
(only one of them changes per "click") and the transitions are counted
by a microcontroller (MCU).  The only limit on what frequency range you
can dial to is the firmware inthe MCU.  The K3 allows receive from VLF
(136 KHz) through 30 MHz, used without a transverter.

Why don't you try direct frequency entry before any next steps.  See if
you can enter 28.400 MHz. At least that will put you on freq.  Then you
can memorize it using the V > M switch.

I wouldn't EE INIT the radio until all other options are exhausted. If
you decide to do that anyway, be sure and save your K3's configuration
first.  You'll need to restore it after the "set defaults" is completed.

73,

matt W6NIA

On 4/29/2017 11:03 AM, KG7FYI wrote:

> Thanks Matt. Nope all bands are set to In. I am unable to dial 28.400.
> The band jumps from 24.842 to 28.676. Perhaps I should try dropping
> everything down to default settings and see what happens?
>
> 73
> Stan KG7FYI
>

> On 04/27/2017 10:44 AM, Matt Zilmer-3 [via Elecraft] wrote:
>> BND MAP may be set to OFF for 10m on his K3.  See p54 of the Owner's
>> Manual.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> matt W6NIA
>>

>> On 4/27/2017 9:49 AM, Harry Yingst via Elecraft wrote:
>>
>>> 28.400  is within the 10 meter band and your K3 should work just
>> fine there (Mine does)
>>> That being said 28.4 may not be your best choice as it tends to be a
>> calling frequency of sorts and even though they may not hear you you
>> may hear them

k6mrmagnet
Turn off the VFO lock. Hold the rate/lock button.

Ken K6MR

Thanks Matt. Nope all bands are set to In. I am unable to dial 28.400.
The band jumps from 24.842 to 28.676. Perhaps I should try dropping
everything down to default settings and see what happens?

73
Stan KG7FYI

On 04/27/2017 10:44 AM, Matt Zilmer-3 [via Elecraft] wrote:

> BND MAP may be set to OFF for 10m on his K3.  See p54 of the Owner's
> Manual.
>
> 73,
>
> matt W6NIA
>

> On 4/27/2017 9:49 AM, Harry Yingst via Elecraft wrote:
>
> > 28.400  is within the 10 meter band and your K3 should work just
> fine there (Mine does)
> > That being said 28.4 may not be your best choice as it tends to be a
> calling frequency of sorts and even though they may not hear you you
> may hear them

Wondering if he has a XVERTER inabled.

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill

> On Apr 29, 2017, at 4:26 PM, Matt Zilmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is very confusing, Stan.  Are you saying that if you tap BAND (up), you move from 24 to 28.676 MHz and then can't dial VFO A down to 28.4?
>
> Explanation of why this is confusing / strange / whatever:  VFO A is just an optical encoder with A/B outputs.  A and B act in quadrature (only one of them changes per "click") and the transitions are counted by a microcontroller (MCU).  The only limit on what frequency range you can dial to is the firmware inthe MCU.  The K3 allows receive from VLF (136 KHz) through 30 MHz, used without a transverter.
>
> Why don't you try direct frequency entry before any next steps.  See if you can enter 28.400 MHz. At least that will put you on freq.  Then you can memorize it using the V > M switch.
>
> I wouldn't EE INIT the radio until all other options are exhausted. If you decide to do that anyway, be sure and save your K3's configuration first.  You'll need to restore it after the "set defaults" is completed.
>
> 73,
>
> matt W6NIA
>

>> On 4/29/2017 11:03 AM, KG7FYI wrote:
>> Thanks Matt. Nope all bands are set to In. I am unable to dial 28.400.
>> The band jumps from 24.842 to 28.676. Perhaps I should try dropping
>> everything down to default settings and see what happens?
>>
>> 73
>> Stan KG7FYI
>>

>>> On 04/27/2017 10:44 AM, Matt Zilmer-3 [via Elecraft] wrote:
>>> BND MAP may be set to OFF for 10m on his K3.  See p54 of the Owner's
>>> Manual.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>>
>>> matt W6NIA

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

Matt Zilmer-3
I think Stan said he was on 10m, not a transverter band.  If he has a
transverter programmed in (maybe without his knowledge?)  10m would
still be 10m and the xvtr band would be its own band.

I'm stumped. Waiting for Stan to reply to last email....

Someone thought it might be LOCKed, but that applies across all bands'
VFO settings.

73,

matt W6NIA

--
"A delay is better than a disaster."
-- unknonwn

Matt Zilmer, W6NIA
[Shiraz]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

Don Wilhelm
Stan,

That sounds like you are switching from band to band with the VFO Lock
turned on.  Check to be certain that the VFO Lock is not turned on.
If the VFO A knob does not change the frequency, then VFO Lock is on.
You should be able to tune from 28.000 MHz to 29.700 MHz with the VFO
knob when the band is set for 10 meters.

The K3 is not set to fixed frequencies by default.  VFO A (or VFO B)
should be able to tune the entire ham band.

On 4/29/2017 2:03 PM, KG7FYI wrote:
> Thanks Matt. Nope all bands are set to In. I am unable to dial 28.400.
> The band jumps from 24.842 to 28.676. Perhaps I should try dropping
> everything down to default settings and see what happens?

Message delivered to [hidden email]

NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight

Bill W4ZV
Hi Stan,

Responding to excerpts below:

KG7FYI wrote
Our very local scenario is filled with mountains and valleys. We are the
land of “One Hundred Valleys”. Actually there are thousands of them! 2M
is very spotty.

Our ARES group requires go bags for all vehicles. Few people but a lot
of livestock and gardens here.

My only concern was availability of frequency bandwidth. We have a least
two Extra Class licenses in the community and one MARS certified.
Unfortunately they are many 15+ miles away deep in a valley.
Sounds like a beautiful area!  You probably know this but NVIS would be a perfect solution for you.  40 meters would be the easiest NVIS antenna (very low dipole) to implement.  "Military NVIS communications mostly take place on 2-4 MHz at night and on 5-7 MHz during daylight."

Here's a link explaining:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_vertical_incidence_skywave

However this would require General Class licenses or higher for voice modes.

73 and Good Luck!

Bill  W4ZV

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

KG7FYI
> This is very confusing, Stan.  Are you saying that if you tap BAND (up),
> you move from 24 to 28.676 MHz and then can't dial VFO A down to 28.4?
Yes, that is exactly what is happening. I can assure you it is not
something I programmed into the system.  I checked the config menu (BND
MAP) and all bands are in. Somehow I may have unintentionally programmed
an issue into the system. I haven't programmed anything into the system
so resetting the defaults should be no loss if all goes well. The
curiosity is how I got into this mix in the first place. Included in
this email is an image of the front panel that might give a clue.

I have the second edition of Fred Cady's book. Point me  in the right
direction and I'll plow through it.

All: I really appreciate the help.

73
Stan KG7FYI

On 04/29/2017 05:00 PM, Matt Zilmer-3 [via Elecraft] wrote:

> I think Stan said he was on 10m, not a transverter band.  If he has a
> transverter programmed in (maybe without his knowledge?)  10m would
> still be 10m and the xvtr band would be its own band.
>
> I'm stumped. Waiting for Stan to reply to last email....
>
> Someone thought it might be LOCKed, but that applies across all bands'
> VFO settings.
>
> 73,
>
> matt W6NIA
>

> On 4/29/2017 4:17 PM, Nr4c wrote:
>
> > Wondering if he has a XVERTER inabled.
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> > ...nr4c. bill
> >

> >> On Apr 29, 2017, at 4:26 PM, Matt Zilmer <[hidden email]
> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7630115&i=0>> wrote:
> >>
> >> This is very confusing, Stan.  Are you saying that if you tap BAND
> (up), you move from 24 to 28.676 MHz and then can't dial VFO A down to
> 28.4?
> >>
> >> Explanation of why this is confusing / strange / whatever:  VFO A
> is just an optical encoder with A/B outputs.  A and B act in
> quadrature (only one of them changes per "click") and the transitions
> are counted by a microcontroller (MCU).  The only limit on what
> frequency range you can dial to is the firmware inthe MCU.  The K3
> allows receive from VLF (136 KHz) through 30 MHz, used without a
> transverter.
> >>
> >> Why don't you try direct frequency entry before any next steps.
>  See if you can enter 28.400 MHz. At least that will put you on freq.
>  Then you can memorize it using the V > M switch.
> >>
> >> I wouldn't EE INIT the radio until all other options are exhausted.
> If you decide to do that anyway, be sure and save your K3's
> configuration first.  You'll need to restore it after the "set
> defaults" is completed.
> >>
> >> 73,
> >>
> >> matt W6NIA

> 28.400.

> --
> "A delay is better than a disaster."
> -- unknonwn
>
> Matt Zilmer, W6NIA
> [Shiraz]

> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7630115&i=1>

> Message delivered to [hidden email]
> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7630115&i=2>

> <
> NAML
> <
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

image_1.jpg (542K) Download Attachment
image_2.jpg (495K) Download Attachment
Stan KG7FYI

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight

KG7FYI
Thanks Bill. Yes it is a very nice area. This is us
http://www.singingfalls.com

Right now the antenna plan is thus. :

Two towers spanning 380 feet. The foundations are poured and towers
staged. Working on refurbishing a used KT34XA to current '36XA specs. I
will have a 2M yagi pointed and our ARES relay tower and a 2M vertical
for general purposes to access other available bands. I will have a 11M
yagi up to communicate with unlicensed locals. Most folks have a cb base
out here. I've got a multiband dipole and a long wire to span the two
towers. ( I named the towers Sauron and Saruman :) )

73
Stan KG7FYI

Stan KG7FYI

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight

KG7FYI
P.S. I have my General Class license with my eye on Extra some time in
the not too distant future.

On 04/30/2017 03:04 AM, Bill W4ZV [via Elecraft] wrote:

> Hi Stan,
>
> Responding to excerpts below:
>
>     KG7FYI wrote
>     Our very local scenario is filled with mountains and valleys. We
>     are the
>     land of “One Hundred Valleys”. Actually there are thousands of
>     them! 2M
>     is very spotty.
>
>     Our ARES group requires go bags for all vehicles. Few people but a
>     lot
>     of livestock and gardens here.
>
>     My only concern was availability of frequency bandwidth. We have a
>     least
>     two Extra Class licenses in the community and one MARS certified.
>     Unfortunately they are many 15+ miles away deep in a valley.
>
> Sounds like a beautiful area!  You probably know this but NVIS would
> be a perfect solution for you.  40 meters would be the easiest NVIS
> antenna (very low dipole) to implement.  "Military NVIS communications
> mostly take place on 2-4 MHz at night and on 5-7 MHz during daylight."
>
> Here's a link explaining:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_vertical_incidence_skywave
>
> However this would require General Class licenses or higher for voice
> modes.
>
> 73 and Good Luck!
>
> Bill  W4ZV

> <
> NAML
> <
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Stan KG7FYI

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

Don Wilhelm
Stan,

Can you tune the VFO on other bands?  If not, you likely have the VFO
locked - look for the little 'padlock' icon in the upper right corner of
the display.  Hold the LOCK button to the right of VFO A knob to toggle
LOCK on and off.

What happens when you do a Direct Frequency Enter?  You must place a
decimal after the MHz digits and when you have entered 28.4 tap the
ENTER button (lower right of the number keypad).

On 4/30/2017 11:04 AM, KG7FYI wrote:

>> This is very confusing, Stan.  Are you saying that if you tap BAND (up),
>> you move from 24 to 28.676 MHz and then can't dial VFO A down to 28.4?
> Yes, that is exactly what is happening. I can assure you it is not
> something I programmed into the system.  I checked the config menu (BND
> MAP) and all bands are in. Somehow I may have unintentionally programmed
> an issue into the system. I haven't programmed anything into the system
> so resetting the defaults should be no loss if all goes well. The
> curiosity is how I got into this mix in the first place. Included in
> this email is an image of the front panel that might give a clue.
>
> I have the second edition of Fred Cady's book. Point me  in the right
> direction and I'll plow through it.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight & CB

kevinr@coho.net
I live in Oregon's Northern Coast Range.  2 meters has the same problems
up here as it does in the Southern regions.  Because most of the locals
have CB radios it is how we communicate in an emergency.  The local
repeaters are dead other than during net times or drive times.  If you
really need help CB radio works much better than our amateur bands.  We
also use it to avoid the many log trucks.

Please try NVIS on 40 or 80 meters.  You'll find you can cover most of
the state with its use.  Plus the antennas can be ad hoc - tossed into
trees or even an old fence line.

     73 & GL,

         Kevin.  KD5ONS

On 4/30/2017 8:30 AM, KG7FYI wrote:

> Thanks Bill. Yes it is a very nice area. This is us
> http://www.singingfalls.com
>
> Right now the antenna plan is thus. :
>
> Two towers spanning 380 feet. The foundations are poured and towers
> staged. Working on refurbishing a used KT34XA to current '36XA specs. I
> will have a 2M yagi pointed and our ARES relay tower and a 2M vertical
> for general purposes to access other available bands. I will have a 11M
> yagi up to communicate with unlicensed locals. Most folks have a cb base
> out here. I've got a multiband dipole and a long wire to span the two
> towers. ( I named the towers Sauron and Saruman :) )
>
> 73
> Stan KG7FYI
>
> On 04/30/2017 03:04 AM, Bill W4ZV [via Elecraft] wrote:
>> Hi Stan,
>>
>> Responding to excerpts below:
>>
>>      KG7FYI wrote
>>      Our very local scenario is filled with mountains and valleys. We
>>      are the
>>      land of “One Hundred Valleys”. Actually there are thousands of
>>      them! 2M
>>      is very spotty.
>>
>>      Our ARES group requires go bags for all vehicles. Few people but a
>>      lot
>>      of livestock and gardens here.
>>
>>      My only concern was availability of frequency bandwidth. We have a
>>      least
>>      two Extra Class licenses in the community and one MARS certified.
>>      Unfortunately they are many 15+ miles away deep in a valley.
>>
>> Sounds like a beautiful area!  You probably know this but NVIS would
>> be a perfect solution for you.  40 meters would be the easiest NVIS
>> antenna (very low dipole) to implement.  "Military NVIS communications
>> mostly take place on 2-4 MHz at night and on 5-7 MHz during daylight."
>>
>> Here's a link explaining:
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_vertical_incidence_skywave
>>
>> However this would require General Class licenses or higher for voice
>> modes.
>>
>> 73 and Good Luck!
>>
>> Bill  W4ZV

>> <
>> NAML
>> <
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

> -----
> Stan KG7FYI

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

KG7FYI
I believe the below was the problem.

On 04/30/2017 10:58 AM, Don Wilhelm [via Elecraft] wrote:

> Stan,
>
> Can you tune the VFO on other bands?  If not, you likely have the VFO
> locked - look for the little 'padlock' icon in the upper right corner of
> the display.  Hold the LOCK button to the right of VFO A knob to toggle
> LOCK on and off.
>
> What happens when you do a Direct Frequency Enter?  You must place a
> decimal after the MHz digits and when you have entered 28.4 tap the
> ENTER button (lower right of the number keypad).
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 4/30/2017 11:04 AM, KG7FYI wrote:
>
> >> This is very confusing, Stan.  Are you saying that if you tap BAND
> (up),
> >> you move from 24 to 28.676 MHz and then can't dial VFO A down to 28.4?
> > Yes, that is exactly what is happening. I can assure you it is not
> > something I programmed into the system.  I checked the config menu (BND
> > MAP) and all bands are in. Somehow I may have unintentionally
> programmed
> > an issue into the system. I haven't programmed anything into the system
> > so resetting the defaults should be no loss if all goes well. The
> > curiosity is how I got into this mix in the first place. Included in
> > this email is an image of the front panel that might give a clue.
> >
> > I have the second edition of Fred Cady's book. Point me  in the right
> > direction and I'll plow through it.
> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7630127&i=0>

> Message delivered to [hidden email]
> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7630127&i=1>

> <
> NAML
> <
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Stan KG7FYI

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight & CB

Jim Brown-10
On Sun,4/30/2017 11:34 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Plus the antennas can be ad hoc - tossed into trees or even an old
> fence line.

There's a bit of fiction in the belief that antennas must be very low
for NVIS. Fact is that higher is better, up to a quarter wave. The
optimum height for a horizontal antenna for NVIS is a quarter wave
length, and performance declines only slightly (1 dB) up to 3/8
wavelength. High angle radiation for an antenna a quarter wave high is
4dB stronger than for one at one-tenth wavelength high. Thus, optimum
heights are 30 ft for 40M, 60 ft for 80M, and high angle radiation is
only 1dB down for 45 ft on 40M and 90 ft on 80M.

http://k9yc.com/AntennaPlanning.pdf  addresses this with a table and
graphs. See Fig 36 and Table 1 on page 11.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]
1234