K3 P3 and KAT500

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight & CB

KG7FYI
Duly bookmarked. Thanks.

73
Stan
KG7FYI
~~~~  -.-  --.  --...  ..-.  -.--  .. ><((((º>

Stan KG7FYI

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight & CB

KG7FYI
I am planning guy wires even on the standalone to help but as you note
when it starts all bets are off.
73
Stan
KG7FYI
~~~~  -.-  --.  --...  ..-.  -.--  .. ><((((º>

On 04/30/2017 06:23 PM, Phil Kane-2 [via Elecraft] wrote:

> On 4/30/2017 1:22 PM, Bill Frantz wrote:
>
> > I have always wondered how towers hold up during earthquakes. Being
> able
> > to work with ad-hoc antennas seems a good attribute for any
> emergency plan.
>
> Radio Station KGO(AM)  in San Francisco has its transmitting plant
> (directional array with three self-supporting towers) not too far off
> the San Andreas Fault that shook in the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake.
> The top section of one of the towers folded down upon itself - and those
> were big strong towers.  The entire array was rebuilt.
>
> 73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
> Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402
>
> From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
> Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Stan KG7FYI

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight & CB

Phil Kane-2
On 4/30/2017 7:03 PM, KG7FYI wrote:

> I am planning guy wires even on the standalone to help but as you note
> when it starts all bets are off.

Are you a structural engineer?  Even my consulting engineering company
turns to those experts when doing stations that involve antenna tower
survivability.

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight & CB in 9.0 quakes

Don Wilhelm
Stan,

While you have made your motives clear, if such an emergency does arise,
just powering up radios and transmitting can result in communications chaos.

I encourage you to get on the air not only to familiarize yourself with
your equipment, but also to experiment with a variety of antennas that
can be deployed easily - your home antennas will likely come down in
such a disaster.

Get involved with local ECOM organizations, and if they do not exist for
you, form one.
Ordered nets are the norm during emergencies, and someone has to act as
net control - to whom all traffic is directed.  Establish standard
frequencies and practice, practice, practice so that all participating
know the format and the rules of proper operating.

You might want to consider taking an example (and perhaps some guidance)
from the National Hurricane Net, which many of us are quite familiar
with here on the East coast.

In the event of a disaster in your area, you will likely be forced to
use low power to conserve battery power and depend on relays from
individuals who can run higher power outside the disaster area.

You may have to learn to setup and use digital modes as well as voice in
cooperation with your local and area Emergency Communications Center
(ECO) which coordinate Police, Fire, Rescue, Hospitals and other
emergency services during a disaster.
That is all very organized communications.  If you are concerned about a
disaster, I recommend you become familiar with it and hold practice
sessions communicating with other concerned hams.  Many EOCs hold
simulated emergency drills that you might want to participate in.
ARRL Radio Amateur Field Day is a good exercise in setting up a
functional station in a short order of time and operating on generators
or other forms of emergency power.

Communication of Health and Welfare information can occur on
non-emergency frequencies in the ham bands, but that still needs to be
done in an orderly fashion since those in the disaster area can be
expected to be operating at low power and depending on relays from
outside the area.  There are formats for messages that operators should
observe so the message gets to the intended recipient in an orderly
fashion.  The ARRL information is quite helpful for the formats and
relay net operating procedures.

What I am trying to say is that the formats and operating procedures for
emergency communications is already in place, and you should become
familiar with them and practice with your own local group and/or
participate in national nets and exercises.

On 4/30/2017 9:41 PM, KG7FYI wrote:
I'd like to say
> that radio is a hobby but the fact is that my only motive was that lives
> are at stake.  I'm learning.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight & CB in 9.0 quakes

ktalbott
Hazel left me with a downed Willow tree fort in Virginia for weeks until the adults arrived with saws to remove it.
Ken ke4rg

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight & CB in 9.0 quakes

Don Wilhelm
One important thing I forget to mention is that you should learn how to
construct your own effective antennas.
To my mind, that skill may be critical in an emergency. and with the
proliferation (and acceptance) of ready made manufactured antennas, I am
afraid that skill is decreasing in ham radio circles.  Yes, it does take
a bit of studying and experimenting, but is not really that difficult.
If you can do simple multiplication and division, you can calculate the
length of a halfwave antenna that can be used for effective
communications - all it takes is some wire and a feedline.

> [...]

expected to be operating at low power and depending on relays from
outside the area.  There are formats for messages that operators should
observe so the message gets to the intended recipient in an orderly
fashion.  The ARRL information is quite helpful for the formats and
relay net operating procedures.

What I am trying to say is that the formats and operating procedures for
emergency communications is already in place, and you should become
familiar with them and practice with your own local group and/or
participate in national nets and exercises.

On 4/30/2017 9:41 PM, KG7FYI wrote:
I'd like to say
> that radio is a hobby but the fact is that my only motive was that lives
> are at stake.  I'm learning.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight & CB in 9.0 quakes

Well taken Don. The capacity to be mobile, versatile and functional is
my primary goal. It all takes time and I am old. I'm doing my best for
my small community.

73
Stan
KG7FYI
~~~~  -.-  --.  --...  ..-.  -.--  .. ><((((º>

On 04/30/2017 08:22 PM, Don Wilhelm [via Elecraft] wrote:

> One important thing I forget to mention is that you should learn how to
> construct your own effective antennas.
> To my mind, that skill may be critical in an emergency. and with the
> proliferation (and acceptance) of ready made manufactured antennas, I am
> afraid that skill is decreasing in ham radio circles.  Yes, it does take
> a bit of studying and experimenting, but is not really that difficult.
> If you can do simple multiplication and division, you can calculate the
> length of a halfwave antenna that can be used for effective
> communications - all it takes is some wire and a feedline.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR

Stan KG7FYI

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight & CB in 9.0 quakes

KC6CNN
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight & CB in 9.0 quakes

KG7FYI
Thanks again Don. I'm working on that.  I agree that this skill set is
fast fading. One of the interesting aspects of the ham circles I am
affiliated with is that we are all well over 65 and most beyond that.
I have secured many hundreds of feet of good quality coax, spools of
wire to build traps and more wire to use for building antennas. In the
end it is all part of a huge learning curve and skill set development. I
devote what time I can to it all but confess there isn't a lot of time
left. I am very impressed with what antenna tuners can do and sincerely
hope I don't blow the finals on a stupid experiment.

73
Stan
KG7FYI
~~~~  -.-  --.  --...  ..-.  -.--  .. ><((((º>

Stan KG7FYI

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight & CB in 9.0 quakes

Don Wilhelm
Grerald,

I would suggest that everyone obtain the ARRL Antenna Handbook.
Ignore the sections dealing with specifics, but study the sections
dealing with basic antennas and transmission lines.  Once you obtain a
grasp of those fundamentals, you can extend that to an understanding of
all antennas.

There are many other sources, but for the basic information on antenna
fundamentals is essential to understanding all the other antenna
implementations.

Do not concentrate on the specific antennas, but study the antenna
principles on which all those specific antenna implementations are based.

Hams often concentrate on specific antenna designs and ignore the basic
principles on which those designs are based.  If you start with the
principles, then you can better understand the "wherefore and the why"
of those specific designs.

On 5/1/2017 12:14 AM, Gerald Manthey wrote:
> Don
> I couldn't agree with you more I am guilty of this too. What books could you recommend I start with?
> Thanks
> Gerald KC6CNN

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight & CB in 9.0 quakes

Don Wilhelm
Stan,

Turn the power down while experimenting and you should not "blow the
finals".
I am 77 and still learning, so age is not an excuse.  It is never too
late to learn.
Besides, it exercises the brain which is known to provide a hedge to
dementia.
That is why I am still repairing Elecraft gear.  Each problem presents a
unique challenge and keeps my brain active.

On 5/1/2017 12:17 AM, Stanley Petrowski wrote:

> Thanks again Don. I'm working on that.  I agree that this skill set is
> fast fading. One of the interesting aspects of the ham circles I am
> affiliated with is that we are all well over 65 and most beyond that.
> I have secured many hundreds of feet of good quality coax, spools of
> wire to build traps and more wire to use for building antennas. In the
> end it is all part of a huge learning curve and skill set development.
> I devote what time I can to it all but confess there isn't a lot of
> time left. I am very impressed with what antenna tuners can do and
> sincerely hope I don't blow the finals on a stupid experiment.
>
> 73
> Stan
> KG7FYI
> ~~~~  -.-  --.  --...  ..-.  -.--  .. ><((((º>
>

> On 04/30/2017 08:20 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>> One important thing I forget to mention is that you should learn how
>> to construct your own effective antennas.
>> To my mind, that skill may be critical in an emergency. and with the
>> proliferation (and acceptance) of ready made manufactured antennas, I
>> am afraid that skill is decreasing in ham radio circles.  Yes, it
>> does take a bit of studying and experimenting, but is not really that
>> difficult. If you can do simple multiplication and division, you can
>> calculate the length of a halfwave antenna that can be used for
>> effective communications - all it takes is some wire and a feedline.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight & CB in 9.0 quakes

Josh Fiden
I'd say ARRL Handbook, Antenna book and Operating Manual are a must in every ham's library. I got a set when first licensed in the '70s. Bought an updated set 25 years later. It's been 15 years and I just got a new handbook. Probably due for the new version antenna book. These are first rate reference material.

My .02

73,
Josh W6XU

Sent from my mobile device

> On Apr 30, 2017, at 9:31 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Grerald,
>
> I would suggest that everyone obtain the ARRL Antenna Handbook.
> Ignore the sections dealing with specifics, but study the sections dealing with basic antennas and transmission lines.  Once you obtain a grasp of those fundamentals, you can extend that to an understanding of all antennas.
>
> There are many other sources, but for the basic information on antenna fundamentals is essential to understanding all the other antenna implementations.
>
> Do not concentrate on the specific antennas, but study the antenna principles on which all those specific antenna implementations are based.
>
> Hams often concentrate on specific antenna designs and ignore the basic principles on which those designs are based.  If you start with the principles, then you can better understand the "wherefore and the why" of those specific designs.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight & CB in 9.0 quakes

KG7FYI
I took it down to 5 watts pronto before I started reconfig. Roger that
on the dementia also. One step at a time. One day at a time. My sincere
gratitude. I'll keep you posted.

73
Stan
KG7FYI
~~~~  -.-  --.  --...  ..-.  -.--  .. ><((((º>

On 04/30/2017 09:39 PM, Don Wilhelm [via Elecraft] wrote:
> Turn the power down while experimenting and you should not "blow the
> finals".
> 73,
> Don W3FPR

Stan KG7FYI

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight & CB in 9.0 quakes

Edward R Cole
I'll probably get flamed with this comment (oh what the heck):

How many of you theorizing about a 9.0 Richter earthquake have
actually experience one!  I not talking about 5 pr 6 or 7 ....an actual 9+????

Why don't you ask an Alaskan Ham?  In 1964 south central Alaska
experienced a 9.2 (2nd largest ever measured in history).  I was not
up here then, but I know several people (some are hams) who lived
thru that.  Plenty of documents with photos of the destruction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Alaska_earthquake

But not every telephone pole and tower failed.  Yes, all phone
connection with lower-48 was interrupted for a long time.  Military
lost all their comms.  Only one's able to provide communication to
outside the state were hams!  That's right.  All documented.  Power
and phones were impacted (there was no cell back then).  Undersea
cables broke.  The single railroad line from Anchorage to Seward on
the Kenai Peninsula was twisted and not repaired for something like
6-mos, single highway south of Anchorage was also damaged for a long
period.  Homes slid into the inlet, ships were sunk and shoreline
destroyed by the tsunami which reached Oregon and California shores
and Hawaii 3,000 miles south.  Seward and Valdez essentially suffered
near total destruction.

But not everything was destroyed and not everyone without utilities.

Of course a significant factor is depth of the epicenter, longitudal
distance from you and what geologic structures the waves travel thru.

I moved to the small town of Hope (AK) when I moved here in 1979.  I
heard from locals how the land rippled with 30-foot high waves (I
suspect maybe not that high but certainly terrifying).  Most of the
original townsite which lay near the shore of Turnagain Arm sunk
16-foot and the next high tide produced 6-foot of water above the
ground level flooding every building.  Most are gone now.  Town has
relocated further away from the shore.

Your skills setting up a temporary station with new antennas,
equipment relocated, emergency power and fuel for that (gas stations
will not be able to pump without power or may have cracked
tanks).  Your personal shelter, food, water, and sanitary facilities
may be all impacted.  If you are lucky some part of your home station
may work.  Possibly only the mobile station in your vehicle.

I've been thru a few earthquakes in CA (1971 Sylmar 6mi from my apt)
and AK.  But few really have that large effect that is being
discussed, here.  I was here for the 7.9 quake centered in the Alaska
Range (I'm about 300 miles south of where its epicenter was
located.  Fortunately it mostly affected uninhabited areas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Denali_earthquake
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/24/magnitude-7-1-earthquake-strikes-alaska.html
I am 8 miles north of the homes that were destroyed last year.

But doubtful that you will have beach property in Boise.

73, Ed - KL7UW
   http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:
   [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight & CB in 9.0 quakes

Joe Subich, W4TV-4
On 5/1/2017 12:17 AM, Stanley Petrowski wrote:
 > Thanks again Don. I'm working on that.  I agree that this skill set is
 > fast fading. One of the interesting aspects of the ham circles I am
 > affiliated with is that we are all well over 65 and most beyond that.
 > I have secured many hundreds of feet of good quality coax, spools of
 > wire to build traps and more wire to use for building antennas.

Building traps is probably a waste of time.  As I learned from old
timers 40 years ago, your best emergency antennas will be:

1) 40 and 75 meter 1/4 wave sections of wire that can be clamped
    under the bottom of the mast/whip on your mobile antenna and
    pulled over  nearby tree or up a flagpole when parked.

2) two or three parallel dipoles for 75 and 40 meters (or 80, 75
    and 40 meters if you have digital/CW nets) that can be hauled
    up a flag pole, into a tree or up a 30 to 40 foot push up mast
    (with the necessary base and temporary guying) for longer term
    "portable" operations.

    With the advent of 60 meter allocations (particularly if the FCC
    gets off its ass and implements the most recent WARC decisions)
    you may want to consider adding 60 meters to your arsenal.

It may be worthwhile having a pair of end-fed half wave (EFHW)
antennas in your tool kit - one for 80/40 and one for 60/30.  Put
insulators in the middle and at 30 feed from the feed end so they
can be pulled up a flag pole, tree, or temporary mast as either
an inverted V or inverted L.  With transceivers  like the K3 that
have wide range tuners, the EFHW may be easier to store and deploy
than the parallel dipole/inverted V and will provide the same
NVIS performance as the traditional "maypole" installations.

In any case,  I recommend the ARRL Antenna Book, ARRL's book on
portable antennas, the ARRL series "ARRL's Wire Antenna Classics"
(particularly N0SS's article "An Easy-up and easy to store Field
Day Dipole"), and the ARRL series "ARRL Antenna Compendium"
(Volumes 1-8).  If you *study* the Antenna Book, you will get a
good understanding of the theory wile the Antenna Wire Classics
and Antenna Compendium series will provide a wealth of practical
ideas.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight & CB in 9.0 quakes

KG7FYI
Thanks Joe, I do have two of the ARRL Antenna Books but wasn't familiar
the other references. I'll be sure to look them up.

I'm currently using a multiband dipole that has really impressed me
given it's poor location and setup. It's obvious I need an "antenna tool
kit". That would be very helpful for what I need.

73
Stan
KG7FYI
~~~~  -.-  --.  --...  ..-.  -.--  .. ><((((º>

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Stan KG7FYI

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight & CB in 9.0 quakes

KG7FYI
Hahahahaha. It stimulates the blood and gets what's left of the fire in
the boiler stirred up.

On 05/01/2017 01:35 AM, Edward R Cole [via Elecraft] wrote:
> I'll probably get flamed with this comment (oh what the heck):

Joking aside, all of the State and Federal agencies are preparing for a
pretty grim scenario. Historically these events span from 40˚N to 50˚N
with 40-45˚ N receiving the greatest impact. At the time this was first
discovered they were estimating a 10% chance in the next 50 years. More
recent research has upped it to over 50% with an estimated shaking
interval of 15 to 20 minutes. The infrastructure, especially the schools
in rural Oregon from I-5 west will all be flat. There will be no fuel or
power available for many areas for up to two years. Grim indeed. One
thing most agree with is that we are not prepared. The evidence is
overwhelming. The geological record is clear. On January 26, 1700 it
took out the west coast and hit Japan with a huge tsunami according to
Japanese records. On average one of these puppies goes off every 350
years + or -. I know it's all a lot of guess work too.

Ham is the only thing I think will be available for the short and long
term. Obviously the first few days/weeks will be total chaos. I'm on the
local ARES and volunteer fire dept Board. When I heard about this I did
some homework and purchased a K3. It wasn't a hobby motive at all even
though I can see that it would be great fun time allowing. I'm here to
serve my community and willing to learn as time allows. I respect ham
and I respect the rules. I am also a realist and like as many options as
I can get my hands on. It's just the way I think. No doubt there will be
many of you assisting if this thing goes down in the next short time.
For that I am grateful.

My hope is that I will get a handle on this K3 line up to at least get a
signal out when it is most needed. The club an ARES does regular sets
and I participate whenever I can. I'll be the first to admit I am behind
the 8 ball on this one. Have a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tys792xlNeI
73
Stan
KG7FYI
~~~~  -.-  --.  --...  ..-.  -.--  .. ><((((º>
Stan KG7FYI

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight & CB

Clay Autery
Well sir, we'll have to agree to disagree.  The young HAM (in HAM years
anyway) was not LISTENING to those from whom he had openly solicited
advice.

He was informed of this, perhaps lightly chastised...  Now that he is
aware, he may choose whether to modify his behavior to be more
productive.... or not.

I would EXPECT my "Elmer" to do nothing less should he spot a
shortcoming in my conduct within the community.

Have a wonderful day.  Please make any additional responses via private
email.  Thanks!

73,

______________________
Clay Autery, KY5G

On 4/30/2017 5:05 PM, Robert Vargas-KP4Y via Elecraft wrote:

> Clay,
>
> Do have a horse in this race? I believe Mr. Brown can defend himself. I agree with other gentleman that Jim can be very offensive in his responses sometimes. That has been well documented in this forum and others. It's against the spirit of ham radio and you are sanctioning that type of conduct with your response.
>
> 73,
> Robert-W4/KP4Y
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Apr 30, 2017, at 5:43 PM, Walter Underwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The potential Cascadia earthquake could be 9.0. That means that every tower will fall, maybe even those built like this CHP/CalOES tower.
>>
>> http://www.oesnews.com/going-towering-heights-keep-emergency-communications-flowing/ <http://www.oesnews.com/going-towering-heights-keep-emergency-communications-flowing/>
>>
>> That is why I suggested easily erected wire antennas and small beams, like a 10m Moxon. After the big one, it will be Field Day, not “flip the switch on the linear”.
>>
>> Regular practice with field antennas will be more useful preparation than a big antenna farm. Maybe some regular exercises with a Par EndFedZ antenna, or even SOTA activations.
>>
>> http://www.lnrprecision.com/endfedz/ <http://www.lnrprecision.com/endfedz/>
>>
>> More info on the potential Cascadia earthquake.
>>
>> http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one <http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one>
>>
>> wunder
>> K6WRU
>> Walter Underwood
>> CM87wj
>> http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)
>>
>>> On Apr 30, 2017, at 1:22 PM, Bill Frantz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have always wondered how towers hold up during earthquakes. Being able to work with ad-hoc antennas seems a good attribute for any emergency plan.
>>>
>>> 73 Bill AE6JV

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>>> Message delivered to [hidden email]
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: NVIS HF vs VHF line-of-sight & CB

Jim Brown-10
Bob, W4/KP4Y said:

> I agree with other gentleman that Jim can be very offensive in his responses sometimes.

I don't mean to be offensive, but there are times when it is appropriate
to "tell it like it is." As Clay and others have noted, the new ham in
question was repeatedly ignoring the excellent advice he was getting,
perhaps because it was in conflict with his already formed opinions or
the gaps in his knowledge.  IMO, as a genuine old fart, I felt that this
new ham needed that attitude adjustment suggested by others. FWIW, some
of the best advice I've ever received has been when folks have corrected
my errors, whether of fact or of ways of looking at things.

Another long time and well respected list member sent this to that ham,
with a copy to me:

> Stan,
>
> Your response is exactly why I stopped trying to help you early on.
> IMHO, Jim"s message was spot on.
>
> I even considered​ asking for a phone number to call you and trying to
> help. Now, glad I didn't.
>
> You have an attitude problem.

And another long time list member sent me this:

> I agree, though it is clear that he’s not absorbing this stuff even
> when explained. Sigh.
>
> Non-professional (unprofessional?) emergency planning often looks like
> this. A focus on rare scenarios that require extreme measures, when
> people should be taking first aid training, replacing their out of
> date Neosporin, and strapping their water heater to the wall.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Current OT threads (was: Elecraft Island & CB in 9.0 quakes)

Josh Fiden
I respectfully suggest that we show Eric we can play nice all by
ourselves and close this & related OT threads.

And yes, my delete key works fine.

Thanks & 73,
Josh

On 4/30/2017 6:44 PM, KG7FYI wrote:
> The models DOGAMI (Oregon Dept. of Geology and Mining) has released
> shows a 71 foot tsunami if the quake is 9+. I'm glad I am out of the
> coast range and in the Cascades.

Message delivered to [hidden email]
1234