K3: Relay noise?

Steve Ellington
Is there a mechanical relay that follows keying? I've had my K3 for nearly a
year and didn't notice any relay noise until lately. I know the antenna TR
is done by pin diodes but I can now hear the faint click of a small relay
that wasn't there before. I'm using ver. 2.8
Steve Ellington
[hidden email]

Re: K3: Relay noise?

Don Wilhelm-4
Steve,

No relay for either keying or T/R switching - it is all electronic.

Steve Ellington wrote:
> Is there a mechanical relay that follows keying? I've had my K3 for nearly a
> year and didn't notice any relay noise until lately. I know the antenna TR
> is done by pin diodes but I can now hear the faint click of a small relay
> that wasn't there before. I'm using ver. 2.8
> Steve Ellington
> [hidden email]

Re: K3: Relay noise?

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
There's a relay that switches with mode change, CW/Data to SSB/AM.

73, doug

   X_CMAE_Category: 0,0 Undefined,Undefined
   Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 10:29:07 -0500
   From: Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]>

   Steve,

   Steve Ellington wrote:
   > Is there a mechanical relay that follows keying? I've had my K3 for nearly a
   > year and didn't notice any relay noise until lately. I know the antenna TR
   > is done by pin diodes but I can now hear the faint click of a small relay
   > that wasn't there before. I'm using ver. 2.8
   > Steve Ellington
   > [hidden email]

Re: K3: Relay noise?

Jessie Oberreuter-2

      My K3 makes a very quiet relay like keying noise as well.  Been
meaning to chase it down, but haven't had the time.  There was once a
suggestion that it could be a protection circuit due to high SWR, but
there's no reason why that should be happening.  I haven't tried
disconnecting the speaker just to make sure it isn't an electronic
artifact, but it sure sounds mechanical, and occurs even with headphones,
volume, and power turned all the way down.

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:

> There's a relay that switches with mode change, CW/Data to SSB/AM.
>
> 73, doug
>
>   X_CMAE_Category: 0,0 Undefined,Undefined
>   Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 10:29:07 -0500
>   From: Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]>
>
>   Steve,
>
>   No relay for either keying or T/R switching - it is all electronic.
>
>   73,
>   Don W3FPR
>
>   Steve Ellington wrote:
>   > Is there a mechanical relay that follows keying? I've had my K3 for nearly a
>   > year and didn't notice any relay noise until lately. I know the antenna TR
>   > is done by pin diodes but I can now hear the faint click of a small relay
>   > that wasn't there before. I'm using ver. 2.8
>   > Steve Ellington
>   > [hidden email]
>   >
>   >
>   Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
>   This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>   Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: K3: Relay noise?

Steve Ellington
AH HA...See...I told you so. I bet they all do it and you guys are just not
listening. Where's the Elecraft experts? They should know if a relay is
supposed to be operational when keying. Maybe I'm just sensitive to such
sounds. I've had dozens of people try to tell me that TenTec rigs don't have
relays but I can hear them from 3 ft. away!
Steve Ellington
[hidden email]
>      My K3 makes a very quiet relay like keying noise as well.  Been
> meaning to chase it down, but haven't had the time.  There was once a
> suggestion that it could be a protection circuit due to high SWR, but
> there's no reason why that should be happening.  I haven't tried
> disconnecting the speaker just to make sure it isn't an electronic
> artifact, but it sure sounds mechanical, and occurs even with headphones,
> volume, and power turned all the way down.
>

> On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:
>
>> There's a relay that switches with mode change, CW/Data to SSB/AM.
>>
>> 73, doug
>>
>>   X_CMAE_Category: 0,0 Undefined,Undefined
>>   Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 10:29:07 -0500
>>   From: Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]>
>>
>>   Steve,
>>
>>   No relay for either keying or T/R switching - it is all electronic.
>>
>>   73,
>>   Don W3FPR
>>
>>   Steve Ellington wrote:
>>   > Is there a mechanical relay that follows keying? I've had my K3 for
>> nearly a
>>   > year and didn't notice any relay noise until lately. I know the
>> antenna TR
>>   > is done by pin diodes but I can now hear the faint click of a small
>> relay
>>   > that wasn't there before. I'm using ver. 2.8
>>   > Steve Ellington
>>   > [hidden email]
>>   >
>>   >
>>   Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>>   This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>   Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

17:48:00

Re: K3: Relay noise?

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2

I definitely noticed a click on key/unkey a few days ago, but I can't
reproduce it now. It is possible that I was doing something moronic
like trying to transmit with no antenna connected at the time (enforcing
the SWR protection theory) - I don't remember - but I do remember that
it was a new click that I hadn't noticed before. I'll let you know if I
find it again...

     ~Iain / N6ML

Steve Ellington wrote:

> AH HA...See...I told you so. I bet they all do it and you guys are just not
> listening. Where's the Elecraft experts? They should know if a relay is
> supposed to be operational when keying. Maybe I'm just sensitive to such
> sounds. I've had dozens of people try to tell me that TenTec rigs don't have
> relays but I can hear them from 3 ft. away!
> Steve Ellington
> [hidden email]

Re: K3: Relay noise?

Grant Youngman
This could be a new generation of firmware update technology  --
adding an actual relay  :-)

Grant/NQ5T

On Feb 4, 2009, at 4:21 PM, Steve Ellington wrote:

> AH HA...See...I told you so. I bet they all do it and you guys are
> just not
> listening. Where's the Elecraft experts? T

Re: K3: Relay noise?

Joe Planisky
My K3 also makes a clicking sound with keying, but it's extremely
faint; I have to put my ear in physical contact with the rig to hear
it.  That said, I don't think it's a relay.  I suspect it's current
going through an inductor or transformer causing the windings to move.

Joe

On Feb 4, 2009, at 2:21 PM, Steve Ellington wrote:

> AH HA...See...I told you so. I bet they all do it and you guys are
> just not
> listening. Where's the Elecraft experts? They should know if a relay
> is
> supposed to be operational when keying. Maybe I'm just sensitive to
> such
> sounds. I've had dozens of people try to tell me that TenTec rigs
> don't have
> relays but I can hear them from 3 ft. away!
> Steve Ellington
> [hidden email]

Re: K3: Relay noise?

wayne burdick
It may be the delta in supply voltage on keydown slightly stimulating
one or more relay coils. The DC shift could move the contacts a tiny
bit. Or it might be an extremely small timing window, associated with
T/R switching, that puts a little glitch on a relay control line.
Either way it's nowhere near enough to change the state of a relay.

Nothing to worry about; in fact it might be therapeutic. But I'll
listen for it myself.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

>  My K3 makes a very quiet relay-like keying noise....

---

http://www.elecraft.com

Re: K3: Relay noise?

w7go
No noise here at all, even putting my ear to the radio :-)

73,

Tony W7GO

wayne burdick wrote:

> It may be the delta in supply voltage on keydown slightly stimulating
> one or more relay coils. The DC shift could move the contacts a tiny
> bit. Or it might be an extremely small timing window, associated with
> T/R switching, that puts a little glitch on a relay control line.
> Either way it's nowhere near enough to change the state of a relay.
>
> Nothing to worry about; in fact it might be therapeutic. But I'll
> listen for it myself.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

>>  My K3 makes a very quiet relay-like keying noise....
>>

> ---
>
> http://www.elecraft.com

Re: K3: Relay noise?

Steve Ellington
The relay making the noise sounds like it's on the rear-top side of the K3.
I doubt if it's pwr sup delta since I can disable vox which results in very
little current draw but can still hear it. I can slowly close the straight
key and hear the relay contats close then open the key and hear them open
just like you would expect any relay to act. Interestingly, pushing the XMIT
button does not activate the relay and stranger still, while the XMIT button
is activated, keying the rig does not activate that relay however it
transmitts normally. Also I doubt if a relay grunt because I can hear the
mechanical clank fairly well.
73 N4LQ
Steve Ellington
[hidden email]
> It may be the delta in supply voltage on keydown slightly stimulating
> one or more relay coils. The DC shift could move the contacts a tiny
> bit. Or it might be an extremely small timing window, associated with
> T/R switching, that puts a little glitch on a relay control line.
> Either way it's nowhere near enough to change the state of a relay.
>
> Nothing to worry about; in fact it might be therapeutic. But I'll
> listen for it myself.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
>>  My K3 makes a very quiet relay-like keying noise....
>
> ---
>
> http://www.elecraft.com

17:48:00

Re: K3: Relay noise?

Classe Bergman

I have heard this relay noise since I put together my K3 kit s/n 1484 in
August 2008. I always use full QSK, and then it's easy to hear the clicks if
the room is silent.
I was little surprised in the beginning, as I had read that the T/R
switching should be all electronic. I didn't think no more about that, as I
have KPA100, KAT3 and KXV3 installed I thought that there was a small relay
somewhere on the options modules.

Today I did some tests, and took the top cover off and tried to listen
carefully after the clicks. I am sure that it comes from a relay located
somewhere under the KPA100 module. Not from KAT3 or the LP filter relays.

There is no change in clicks if I put the radio in TX TEST mode or have full
RF output, so it is not RF or high current related.

It very hard to hear if I close PTT or a key manually or tap XMIT, but it is
still there.

CW mode , SSB mode or KPA100 disabled, it is still there every time T/R is
switching.

After a quick look at the K3 LPA schematic, I can se a small relay K1, "3 dB
attenuator".  What is that relay doing ? Can that be a candidate for causing
the noise?

I have just done the same tests with an other K3 that was factory build.
Both radios produces exactly the same relay noise.

I am using the lastest software in the radios now, but it have been the same
thing with older software.

73 Classe SM3GSK

Re: K3: Relay noise?

Tim Heasman
Hi,

I just had a listen to my K3 when keying.  I cannot hear the tick at all in
my left ear, but can hear it in my right ear providing I turn my ear towards
the top of the K3.  If I put my mechanical wrist watch (Tudor Submariner) to
my ear it is louder than the tick from the K3.

73

Tim

gm4lmh

Re: K3: Relay noise?

Steve Ellington
Apparently Elecraft is not aware of the relay and very few of us can hear
it. I had my K3 for many months before hearing it. It's as if something
suddenly got it started clicking.  Either just a few rigs do this or most of
us are nearly deaf. Elecraft, can we get an answer on this?
Steve Ellington
[hidden email]
> I have heard this relay noise since I put together my K3 kit s/n 1484 in
> August 2008. I always use full QSK, and then it's easy to hear the clicks
> if
> the room is silent.
> I was little surprised in the beginning, as I had read that the T/R
> switching should be all electronic. I didn't think no more about that, as
> have KPA100, KAT3 and KXV3 installed I thought that there was a small
> relay
> somewhere on the options modules.
>
> Today I did some tests, and took the top cover off and tried to listen
> carefully after the clicks. I am sure that it comes from a relay located
> somewhere under the KPA100 module. Not from KAT3 or the LP filter relays.
>
> There is no change in clicks if I put the radio in TX TEST mode or have
> full
> RF output, so it is not RF or high current related.
>
> It very hard to hear if I close PTT or a key manually or tap XMIT, but it
> is
> still there.
>
> CW mode , SSB mode or KPA100 disabled, it is still there every time T/R is
> switching.
>
> After a quick look at the K3 LPA schematic, I can se a small relay K1, "3
> dB
> attenuator".  What is that relay doing ? Can that be a candidate for
> causing
> the noise?
>
> I have just done the same tests with an other K3 that was factory build.
> Both radios produces exactly the same relay noise.
>
> I am using the lastest software in the radios now, but it have been the
> same
> thing with older software.
>
> 73 Classe SM3GSK

16:35:00

Re: K3: Relay noise?

wayne burdick
Administrator
Steve Ellington wrote:

> Apparently Elecraft is not aware of the relay and very few of us can
> hear it. I had my K3 for many months before hearing it. It's as if
> something suddenly got it started clicking.  Either just a few rigs do
> this or most of us are nearly deaf. Elecraft, can we get an answer on
> this?

Steve,

I've heard it, on occasion, as far back as 2007. As I posted earlier, I
believe it's either the acoustic side effect of a coil voltage shift
(there are *many* relays running on the 12 V line), or a very minor T/R
timing window, far too short to switch a relay.

It is not a problem. However, if I can get my rig to make the sound
again, I'll put an o'scope on each relay's coil drive line to see if
there's a tiny timing glitch.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---

http://www.elecraft.com

Re: K3: Relay noise?

Steve Ellington
Tim:
The Tudor Submariner should be louder than the K3. First of all, the K3 is
not supposed to tick, secondly, the Tudor is noted for a loud tick
accourding to this link: http://www.oysterquartz.net/the_5035_movement.htm

Steve Ellington
[hidden email]
> I just had a listen to my K3 when keying.  I cannot hear the tick at all
> in
> my left ear, but can hear it in my right ear providing I turn my ear
> towards
> the top of the K3.  If I put my mechanical wrist watch (Tudor Submariner)
> my ear it is louder than the tick from the K3.
>
> 73
>
> Tim
>
> gm4lmh

16:35:00

Re: K3: Relay noise?

AC7JW
I've followed this thread concerning a QSK clicking noise through all comments, as well as other similar threads on the list, but it doesn't appear as if anyone ever came to a firm conclusion as to origin of this clicking noise. As others have stated, I can hear a very faint mechanical clicking that follows my code when using QSK. It sounds like it's coming from the KPA100 region, but I can't tell for sure.
Did anyone ever come to a conclusion, or receive any information from Elecraft?

Thanks-
Jason AC7JW

Steve Ellington wrote
Is there a mechanical relay that follows keying? I've had my K3 for nearly a
year and didn't notice any relay noise until lately. I know the antenna TR
is done by pin diodes but I can now hear the faint click of a small relay
that wasn't there before. I'm using ver. 2.8
Steve Ellington
N4LQ@carolina.rr.com

Re: K3: Relay noise?

Jim AB3CV
i found i was having some random clicks going on but they went away
when i moved my hps-1 power supply a few inches away from the k3.

73

jim ab3cv

Re: K3: Relay noise?

Steve Ellington
I used some plastic tubing stuck in one ear trying to track it down. I
narrowed it down to one relay but it's been at least 6 months ago and I
can't recall which one made the noise. I had suggestions to check for loose
ferrite chokes along the high current DC line but that wasn't the source. If
I happen to remember which relay it was, I'll post it here. 73
Steve
N4LQ
[hidden email]
> I've followed this thread concerning a QSK clicking noise through all
> comments, as well as other similar threads on the list, but it doesn't
> appear as if anyone ever came to a firm conclusion as to origin of this
> clicking noise. As others have stated, I can hear a very faint mechanical
> clicking that follows my code when using QSK. It sounds like it's coming
> from the KPA100 region, but I can't tell for sure.
> Did anyone ever come to a conclusion, or receive any information from
> Elecraft?
>
> Thanks-
> Jason AC7JW
>

> Steve Ellington wrote:
>>
>> Is there a mechanical relay that follows keying? I've had my K3 for
>> nearly
>> year and didn't notice any relay noise until lately. I know the antenna
>> TR
>> is done by pin diodes but I can now hear the faint click of a small relay
>> that wasn't there before. I'm using ver. 2.8
>> Steve Ellington
>> [hidden email]

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

14:41:00

RE: K3: Relay noise?

AC7JW

Thanks Steve.

It’s sure strange that I get the same click whether I run 1 W, or 100 W.  I could understand some sort of residual magnetic effect (for lack of a better term) causing some mechanical movement to create the noise if it was only present while running high power, in which case high currents are present,  and thus the potential for a powerful magnetic field. But at 1 watt- there is something else going on. In any case, I don’t think it’s a problem- just an annoyance.

Jason

> I've followed this thread concerning a QSK clicking noise through all
> comments, as well as other similar threads on the list, but it doesn't
> appear as if anyone ever came to a firm conclusion as to origin of this
> clicking noise. As others have stated, I can hear a very faint mechanical
> clicking that follows my code when using QSK. It sounds like it's coming
> from the KPA100 region, but I can't tell for sure.
> Did anyone ever come to a conclusion, or receive any information from
> Elecraft?
>
> Thanks-
> Jason AC7JW
>

> Steve Ellington wrote:
>>
>> Is there a mechanical relay that follows keying? I've had my K3 for
>> nearly
>> year and didn't notice any relay noise until lately. I know the antenna
>> TR
>> is done by pin diodes but I can now hear the faint click of a small relay
>> that wasn't there before. I'm using ver. 2.8
>> Steve Ellington
>> [hidden email]

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

14:41:00

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/K3-Relay-noise-tp2269079p4143590.html
To unsubscribe from Re: K3: Relay noise?, click here.

12