KAT500

k6dgw
The back of my radio shelf is anything but "wireless."  Can someone
field testing the KAT500 enlighten me regarding the wires/cables it will
bring to my copper collection?  I have a K3, KPA500, and P3.

Right now:
USB/232 adapter, laptop to P3
P3 RS-232 to K3 RS-232
K3 ACC to KPA500

plus coax, paddle, Winkeyer, line in/out, headphones, mic, IF to P3,
power, grounds, and several unidentified cables that may or may not be
doing something.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: KAT500

Dick Dievendorff
Fred:  N6TV took a good back panel of my prototype unit at Visalia:
http://www.elecraft.com/KAT500/kat500rear_visalia.jpg. It's sitting atop a
KPA500.

The KAT500 back panel has two 15-pin ACC connectors labeled "control". One
cable (XCVR) goes from your K3 to the KAT500, another (AMP) goes from the
KAT500 to the KPA500.

There is a 2.1 mm 11-15 VDC coaxial power connector, similar to that on the
W2, P3, XG3, and KX3.

There is a 3.5 mm TRS jack "PC DATA" used for RS-232 communications for
firmware load and for the KAT500 Utility. This is intended for a KXUSB or
KXSER or the W2/XG3/KX3 style RS-232 connector.  The KAT500 Utility is
needed for firmware load, and there's also a KAT500 "operate" page that
allows complete control of the ATU and a view of its settings. You won't
need a computer connection in normal KAT500 use, but it's available if you
want detailed information about what's going on.

There is an SO-239 transmitter input (from your KPA500's antenna connector)
and three SO-239 output antenna connectors to your antennas.

There is a wingnut on a good-sized screw for grounding the unit.

The two RCA connectors labeled PTT RLY are not needed for the KPA500 as the
amp key line interrupt is in the 15-pin ACC cable (along with band change
lines and AUXBUS). If you're using another amplifier, you'll want to put the
KAT500 in the keying/PTT line between the transceiver and amplifier.  The
KAT500 wants to hot-switch relays at exciter power, not QRO.

The 3.5 mm connector labeled "AH4" (which will probably have a different
silk screened label in the future) is intended to support radios using the
ICOM AH-4 protocol.   You can also ground the ring of this 3.5mm connector
to start tuning if you want to press a TUNE button somewhere other than your
K3's front panel ATU TUNE button or your KAT500's TUNE button.

73 de Dick, K6KR

The back of my radio shelf is anything but "wireless."  Can someone field
testing the KAT500 enlighten me regarding the wires/cables it will bring to
my copper collection?  I have a K3, KPA500, and P3.

<snip>

Re: KAT500

k6dgw
Thanks Dick.  I guess the ACC cable that is now connecting my KPA500 and
K3, will reroute to the KAT500.  I'll check and see if I need to add a
cable to my order between the tuner and amp.  Not going to be as much
additional copper as I was thinking.  I guess I'll power it from my APP
fuse block, the 12V output from the K3 runs the P3.

On 6/23/2012 9:38 AM, Dick Dievendorff wrote:
> Fred:  N6TV took a good back panel of my prototype unit at Visalia:
> http://www.elecraft.com/KAT500/kat500rear_visalia.jpg. It's sitting atop a
> KPA500.

Re: KAT500

Jon Kåre Hellan
I've got a K3, a hand me down Ameritron AL-811 amp, an LDG AT-600 Pro
tuner, and often use somewhat strange antennas. (See picture at
www.ha19.no/la4rt/ ).

I'm considering replacing the LDG tuner with a KAT500. The LDG unit
isn't bad, but it's got a confusing user interface, and it's so noisy
that I can't let it run a full tuning cycle while people are sleeping
next door. It also doesn't match quite as well as the built in tuner in
the K3.

Can the field testers comment on what the KAT500 sounds like. Has
anybody had the opportunity to compare both tuners?

The el cheapo amp will stay for the foreseeable future, so I'm
interested in if and how the combination will work. I found an old
thread with a lot of info:

On 06/23/2012 06:38 PM, Dick Dievendorff wrote:
> Fred:  N6TV took a good back panel of my prototype unit at Visalia:
> http://www.elecraft.com/KAT500/kat500rear_visalia.jpg. It's sitting atop a
> KPA500.
>
> The KAT500 back panel has two 15-pin ACC connectors labeled "control". One
> cable (XCVR) goes from your K3 to the KAT500, another (AMP) goes from the
> KAT500 to the KPA500.

Will the cable from the K3 be useful even with a "dumb" amp?

 > ..
> The two RCA connectors labeled PTT RLY are not needed for the KPA500 as the
> amp key line interrupt is in the 15-pin ACC cable (along with band change
> lines and AUXBUS). If you're using another amplifier, you'll want to put the
> KAT500 in the keying/PTT line between the transceiver and amplifier.  The
> KAT500 wants to hot-switch relays at exciter power, not QRO.

I guess this means that the PTT line goes
    [ K3 ]---[ KAT500 ]---[ AL-811 ]
And that the K3 tune button will tune the KAT500 when it's inline, and
the KAT500 won't let the amp key up unless the tuner is ready. Correct?

Jon LA4RT
Trondheim, Norway

Re: KAT500

ke9uw
Umm...
I want one of these but I have an MFJ998 which works well. One thing I like is seeing the values that it selects for the L network. It seems to have an almost reliable memory and tunes in a few seconds without a lot of clatter. Probably the best MFJ item I have ever bought. OT, don't ask me about the 75 amp "clean" switching power supply that put birdies all up and down 75 meters. I enacted the no-questions-asked return policy on that.
I'll get the KAT500...any chance that it's possible to observe the tuner values on VFO B on the K3...or the VGA display etc? That would be so nice. I'm not asking if it's in the works, just if it can be done in future programming by Elecraft. Any ideas?

Chuck, KE9UW
Chuck, KE9UW

Re: KAT500

N0AZZ
I'm using a Palstar AT-Auto with my K3/100 and Alpha amp it works very well
also and shows all the values. I bought it to use till my Alpha 4040 tuner
is delivered in Oct.The Palstar works very quickly using only RF sensing
coax hookup and when switching antennas (3) it find a solution very quickly
usually a matter of several seconds when returning it remembers and it's
dead on.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ

Re: KAT500

GI4FZD
This must be almost ready for shipping,
Has anybody any updates regarding this?
cheers
paul

Re: KAT500

GI4FZD
ok thanks for all the replies,
Just joined this morning and missed the post,
did do a search but thought I might have missed something
 cheers
Paul

Re: KAT500

GI4FZD
Is this still on track for the Shipping Status info.
Cheers
Paul
GI4FZD

Re: KAT500

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Yup! 10/15 (or slightly earlier) to begin shipping.

73,
Eric

www.elecraft.com
_..._

On Oct 4, 2012, at 11:53 PM, GI4FZD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is this still on track for the Shipping Status info.
> Cheers
> Paul
> GI4FZD

Re: KAT500

Phil LaMarche-2
Great news.  Please share the first batch quantity to be shipped.

Phil

Philip LaMarche

727-944-3226
727-510-5038 Cell
 www.w9dvm.com
WWW.FLAMGROUP.COM

K3 # 1605
KPA500 # 029
P3 #1480

 CCA 98-00827
CRA 1701
W9DVM

Yup! 10/15 (or slightly earlier) to begin shipping.

73,
Eric

www.elecraft.com
_..._

On Oct 4, 2012, at 11:53 PM, GI4FZD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is this still on track for the Shipping Status info.
> Cheers
> Paul
> GI4FZD

Re: KAT500

GI4FZD
Thanks for the info Eric
Cheers
Paul

Re: KAT500

WB4SON
I have the K3 and KPA500 tied together with the Elecraft 15-pin cable.
Will a second cable ship with the kPA500, or is this a separate item?
(Since two 15 pin cables are now required).  Is this just a duplicate of
the first?

Since shipping is about to start, I suspect I'm not the only person who
will have that issue -- better to add a cable now to the existing order
than getting it in and discovering I don't have all that is needed to get
it hooked up.

And that said, I'm going to start installing coax and baluns this long
weekend (Columbus Day), so this is perfect timing.

73, Bob, WB4SON

73, Bob, WB4SON

Re: KAT500

'DGB'
I have currently have a y-cable at the rig for the MH MKII and the
KPA-500. How will the KAT-500 play into that? A Y-Cable on the KPA-500?
I see no manual for the KAT-500 yet!

73 Dwight NS9I

Re: KAT500

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM, DGB <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have currently have a y-cable at the rig for the MH MKII and the
> KPA-500. How will the KAT-500 play into that? A Y-Cable on the KPA-500?
> I see no manual for the KAT-500 yet!

No, you want to daisy-chain the KPA500 after the KAT500, so that the
KAT500 can interrupt amp-keying during tuning. The KAT500 has AUX
guzinta and guzoutta for this purpose. You just need one additional
cable.

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

Re: KAT500

Dick Dievendorff
For a K-line, you'll want a 15-pin cable from K3 (after the Y) to the KAT500
and another from the KAT500 to the KPA500.  The KAT500 interrupts the KPA500
key line in that cable during tune, and both the KAT500 and KPA500 observe
the K3's BAND0 thru BAND3 lines.

If you aren't using a K3, then the KAT500, like the KPA500, can sense band
changes by counting the Tx frequency.

But it's very convenient to band switch the K3 and have the ATU and amp
follow without requiring a transmission. The ATU switches to the last-used
antenna on band switch (or to a fixed antenna you configure).  It's nice not
to have to send a "dit" to make that antenna switch happen.

The manual is in progress.

73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: KAT500

Jim Sheldon
I guess the question now becomes - Is that cable going to be supplied with the KAT500 or do I have to contact Elecraft and have an additional cable placed on the order I put in back in May, during the Dayton Hamvention?  Been waiting patiently for that order to be filled so it would be nice to know if I have to order another cable before the KAT500 finally gets here.

Jim Sheldon - w0EB

> For a K-line, you'll want a 15-pin cable from K3 (after the Y) to
> the KAT500
> and another from the KAT500 to the KPA500.  The KAT500 interrupts
> the KPA500
> key line in that cable during tune, and both the KAT500 and KPA500
> observe
> the K3's BAND0 thru BAND3 lines.
>
> If you aren't using a K3, then the KAT500, like the KPA500, can
> sense band
> changes by counting the Tx frequency.
>
> But it's very convenient to band switch the K3 and have the ATU and
> amp
> follow without requiring a transmission. The ATU switches to the
> last-used
> antenna on band switch (or to a fixed antenna you configure).  It's
> nice not
> to have to send a "dit" to make that antenna switch happen.
>
> The manual is in progress.
>
> 73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: KAT500

N5GE-2

Dick,

Thanks for the description.

Can you give a yes or no answer to Bob's question regarding whether
or not the extra 15 pin cable is included with the KAT500?

Thanks,

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 12:08:43 -0700, "Dick Dievendorff"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>For a K-line, you'll want a 15-pin cable from K3 (after the Y) to the KAT500
>and another from the KAT500 to the KPA500.  The KAT500 interrupts the KPA500
>key line in that cable during tune, and both the KAT500 and KPA500 observe
>the K3's BAND0 thru BAND3 lines.
>
>If you aren't using a K3, then the KAT500, like the KPA500, can sense band
>changes by counting the Tx frequency.
>
>But it's very convenient to band switch the K3 and have the ATU and amp
>follow without requiring a transmission. The ATU switches to the last-used
>antenna on band switch (or to a fixed antenna you configure).  It's nice not
>to have to send a "dit" to make that antenna switch happen.
>
>The manual is in progress.
>
>73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: KAT500

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> both the KAT500 and KPA500 observe the K3's BAND0 thru BAND3 lines.

Is BAND0-BAND3 and active "repeat" function or a passive "Y"?   It
makes a difference in cable to support a remote KAT500.

Any other functions required in the KAT500 (Aux bus?)?

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 10/5/2012 3:08 PM, Dick Dievendorff wrote:

> For a K-line, you'll want a 15-pin cable from K3 (after the Y) to the KAT500
> and another from the KAT500 to the KPA500.  The KAT500 interrupts the KPA500
> key line in that cable during tune, and both the KAT500 and KPA500 observe
> the K3's BAND0 thru BAND3 lines.
>
> If you aren't using a K3, then the KAT500, like the KPA500, can sense band
> changes by counting the Tx frequency.
>
> But it's very convenient to band switch the K3 and have the ATU and amp
> follow without requiring a transmission. The ATU switches to the last-used
> antenna on band switch (or to a fixed antenna you configure).  It's nice not
> to have to send a "dit" to make that antenna switch happen.
>
> The manual is in progress.
>
> 73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: KAT500

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
I'm fairly sure that the AUX cable will NOT be supplied (it wouldn't
be useful for non-K3 users).... but it's probably best to just call
the sales dept and ask.

I elected to make my own short (~1ft) AUX cable, which works well when
the KAT500 is placed directly underneath the KPA500. It requires 7
wires (4xBand Data, AUXBUS, PTT and Ground).

73,

    ~iain / N6ML