KPA-500 from Orlando

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

Four pictures of the K-Line and KPA-500 from Orlando.
Unfortunately, Eric did not have the clear case so we
could see inside:

http:\\www.microHAM-USA.com/W4TV/Elecraft_K-Line.jpg
http:\\www.microHAM-USA.com/W4TV/Elecraft_K-Line_Rear.jpg
http:\\www.microHAM-USA.com/W4TV/KPA-500_Front.jpg
http:\\www.microHAM-USA.com/W4TV/KPA-500_Rear.jpg

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

Re: KPA-500 from Orlando

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

I just *HATE* server software that uses case sensitive paths.
They're fixed now (I think).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

> Four pictures of the K-Line and KPA-500 from Orlando.
> Unfortunately, Eric did not have the clear case so we
> could see inside:
>
> http:\\www.microHAM-USA.com/W4TV/Elecraft_K-Line.jpg
> http:\\www.microHAM-USA.com/W4TV/Elecraft_K-Line_Rear.jpg
> http:\\www.microHAM-USA.com/W4TV/KPA-500_Front.jpg
> http:\\www.microHAM-USA.com/W4TV/KPA-500_Rear.jpg
>
> 73,
>
>      ... Joe, W4TV

Re: KPA-500 from Orlando

N5GE

I wonder what the dimensions of the KPA500 are.  It doesn't look much larger
than the K3.

73,

Tom Childers
Radio Amateur N5GE
Licensed since 1976
QCWA Life Member 35102
ARRL Life Member
Retired Professional
C# Software developer
http://www.n5ge.net

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 22:13:50 -0500, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Four pictures of the K-Line and KPA-500 from Orlando.
>Unfortunately, Eric did not have the clear case so we
>could see inside:
>
>http:\\www.microHAM-USA.com/W4TV/Elecraft_K-Line.jpg
>http:\\www.microHAM-USA.com/W4TV/Elecraft_K-Line_Rear.jpg
>http:\\www.microHAM-USA.com/W4TV/KPA-500_Front.jpg
>http:\\www.microHAM-USA.com/W4TV/KPA-500_Rear.jpg
>
>73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV

>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: KPA-500 from Orlando

Robert Friess
Not including projections, the KPA500 is exactly the same size as the K3.

Bob, N6CM

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 7:41 PM, Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> I wonder what the dimensions of the KPA500 are.  It doesn't look much
> larger
> than the K3.
>
> 73,
>
> Tom Childers
> Radio Amateur N5GE
> Licensed since 1976
> QCWA Life Member 35102
> ARRL Life Member
> Retired Professional
> C# Software developer
> http://www.n5ge.net
>
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 22:13:50 -0500, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> >Four pictures of the K-Line and KPA-500 from Orlando.
> >Unfortunately, Eric did not have the clear case so we
> >could see inside:
> >
> >http:\\www.microHAM-USA.com/W4TV/Elecraft_K-Line.jpg
> >http:\\www.microHAM-USA.com/W4TV/Elecraft_K-Line_Rear.jpg
> >http:\\www.microHAM-USA.com/W4TV/KPA-500_Front.jpg
> >http:\\www.microHAM-USA.com/W4TV/KPA-500_Rear.jpg
> >
> >73,
> >
> >    ... Joe, W4TV

> >Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >
> >This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> >Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

KPA-500 dimensions

Rose

Hi Tom,

The dimensions are essentially the same ...

We saw the first two at Visalia last year, and
will be making cases and covers for them.

73!

Rose - N7HKW
[hidden email]
http://tinyurl.com/7lm3m5

Re: KPA-500 from Orlando

N5GE

Excellent!  That makes it easy to decide where to put it at the Operating
Position.

73,

Tom Childers
Radio Amateur N5GE
Licensed since 1976
QCWA Life Member 35102
ARRL Life Member
Retired Professional
C# Software developer
http://www.n5ge.net

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 19:43:10 -0800, Robert Friess <[hidden email]>  wrote:

>Not including projections, the KPA500 is exactly the same size as the K3.
>
>Bob, N6CM
>
>On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 7:41 PM, Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
><[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> I wonder what the dimensions of the KPA500 are.  It doesn't look much
>> larger
>> than the K3.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Tom Childers
>> Radio Amateur N5GE
>> Licensed since 1976
>> QCWA Life Member 35102
>> ARRL Life Member
>> Retired Professional
>> C# Software developer
>> http://www.n5ge.net
>>
>> On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 22:13:50 -0500, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >Four pictures of the K-Line and KPA-500 from Orlando.
>> >Unfortunately, Eric did not have the clear case so we
>> >could see inside:
>> >
>> >http:\\www.microHAM-USA.com/W4TV/Elecraft_K-Line.jpg
>> >http:\\www.microHAM-USA.com/W4TV/Elecraft_K-Line_Rear.jpg
>> >http:\\www.microHAM-USA.com/W4TV/KPA-500_Front.jpg
>> >http:\\www.microHAM-USA.com/W4TV/KPA-500_Rear.jpg
>> >
>> >73,
>> >
>> >    ... Joe, W4TV

>> >Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>> >
>> >This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> >Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: KPA-500 from Orlando

vk4tux
Joe (W4TV) Thanks for the pictures.

Looking it seems the KPA500 front size is the same as the K3.

The rs232 pc connection on the amp goes direct to the PC I guess on a
different comport to the K3/P3 combination?

The pc232 xcvr connection goes where whilst the P3 is connected in the
system?

I am thinking that if KPA500 rs232 xcvr connection goes to P3 pc
connection ( with KPA500 rs232 pc to the computer), then the whole three
items will run on the one line from the pc ... correct?

Thanks for the pics.

Adrian ... vk4tux

Re: KPA-500 from Orlando

Jack Brindle

On Feb 15, 2011, at 11:07 AM, Adrian wrote:

> Joe (W4TV) Thanks for the pictures.
>
> Looking it seems the KPA500 front size is the same as the K3.

They are the exact same size.

> The rs232 pc connection on the amp goes direct to the PC I guess on a
> different comport to the K3/P3 combination?

Yes. The KPA500 will need a different serial port connection to the PC
that used by the K3/P3.

> The pc232 xcvr connection goes where whilst the P3 is connected in the
> system?

The RS232 XCVR connection is not used with the K3. The KPA500 uses
other ways to talk to the K3.

> I am thinking that if KPA500 rs232 xcvr connection goes to P3 pc
> connection ( with KPA500 rs232 pc to the computer), then the whole
> three
> items will run on the one line from the pc ... correct?

No. The K3 talks to the P3, which talks to the PC. The KPA500 talks
directly to the PC on a second PC port.

Jack Brindle, W6FB

Re: KPA-500 from Orlando

vk4tux
On 02/16/2011 06:04 AM, Jack Brindle wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2011, at 11:07 AM, Adrian wrote:
>
>> Joe (W4TV) Thanks for the pictures.
>>
>> Looking it seems the KPA500 front size is the same as the K3.
>
> They are the exact same size.
>
>> The rs232 pc connection on the amp goes direct to the PC I guess on a
>> different comport to the K3/P3 combination?
>
> Yes. The KPA500 will need a different serial port connection to the PC
> that used by the K3/P3.

Jack, doesn't the k3 have a way of automatically setting the band on the
KPA500?

Adrian ... vk4tux

Re: KPA-500 from Orlando

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

 > The rs232 pc connection on the amp goes direct to the PC I guess on a
 > different comport to the K3/P3 combination?
 >
 > The pc232 xcvr connection goes where whilst the P3 is connected in the
 > system?

Eric did not have a computer connected but the RS-232 PC connection
replaces the PC connection to the P3/K3.  The RS-232 XCVR connection
goes to the P3 and thence to the K3.

> I am thinking that if KPA500 rs232 xcvr connection goes to P3 pc
> connection ( with KPA500 rs232 pc to the computer), then the whole
> three items will run on the one line from the pc ... correct?

Yes, as I understand it the system is designed to operate on one
serial port.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 2/15/2011 2:07 PM, Adrian wrote:

> Joe (W4TV) Thanks for the pictures.
>
> Looking it seems the KPA500 front size is the same as the K3.
>
> The rs232 pc connection on the amp goes direct to the PC I guess on a
> different comport to the K3/P3 combination?
>
> The pc232 xcvr connection goes where whilst the P3 is connected in the
> system?
>
> I am thinking that if KPA500 rs232 xcvr connection goes to P3 pc
> connection ( with KPA500 rs232 pc to the computer), then the whole three
> items will run on the one line from the pc ... correct?
>
> Thanks for the pics.
>
> Adrian ... vk4tux

Re: KPA-500 from Orlando

wayne burdick
> Jack, doesn't the k3 have a way of automatically setting the band on
> the KPA500?

Yes. It can do this in two ways: (a) RF sensing; (b) band data from
the K3.

The K3 can be connected to the KPA500 via the 15-pin connector. This
will provide band data for the amp when the K3's band is changed. But
it will also allow you to use the amp's band switches to change bands
on the radio, see a report of amp fault conditions, operate/standby
status, etc.

The nice thing about having the K3 know about amp operate/standby
status is that the K3 can provide two entirely different per-band
power-level setups. When you put the amp into operate condition, it
will retrieve all of the amp drive levels you set up on each band.
When you go to standby, the K3 will use its "barefoot" power settings.

Some of this is still being tested and has not been provided to field
testers yet.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Re: KPA-500 from Orlando

Doug Person
Wow.  Everything I ever wanted in an amp.  This is a great feature.
Fantastic integration.  I can hardly wait another 2 months or so to
order one.

73, Doug -- K0DXV

On 2/15/2011 2:05 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

>> Jack, doesn't the k3 have a way of automatically setting the band on
>> the KPA500?
> Yes. It can do this in two ways: (a) RF sensing; (b) band data from
> the K3.
>
> The K3 can be connected to the KPA500 via the 15-pin connector. This
> will provide band data for the amp when the K3's band is changed. But
> it will also allow you to use the amp's band switches to change bands
> on the radio, see a report of amp fault conditions, operate/standby
> status, etc.
>
> The nice thing about having the K3 know about amp operate/standby
> status is that the K3 can provide two entirely different per-band
> power-level setups. When you put the amp into operate condition, it
> will retrieve all of the amp drive levels you set up on each band.
> When you go to standby, the K3 will use its "barefoot" power settings.
>
> Some of this is still being tested and has not been provided to field
> testers yet.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: KPA-500 from Orlando

Bill K9YEQ
Wayne,

I have my THP HL-2.5kfx, is there a way to control both via the K3?  I would
like to select the device to use based on conditions without going through a
lot of switching.

Bill
K9YEQ

Wow.  Everything I ever wanted in an amp.  This is a great feature.
Fantastic integration.  I can hardly wait another 2 months or so to order
one.

73, Doug -- K0DXV

On 2/15/2011 2:05 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

>> Jack, doesn't the k3 have a way of automatically setting the band on
>> the KPA500?
> Yes. It can do this in two ways: (a) RF sensing; (b) band data from
> the K3.
>
> The K3 can be connected to the KPA500 via the 15-pin connector. This
> will provide band data for the amp when the K3's band is changed. But
> it will also allow you to use the amp's band switches to change bands
> on the radio, see a report of amp fault conditions, operate/standby
> status, etc.
>
> The nice thing about having the K3 know about amp operate/standby
> status is that the K3 can provide two entirely different per-band
> power-level setups. When you put the amp into operate condition, it
> will retrieve all of the amp drive levels you set up on each band.
> When you go to standby, the K3 will use its "barefoot" power settings.
>
> Some of this is still being tested and has not been provided to field
> testers yet.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: KPA-500 from Orlando

Don Wilhelm-4
  Bill,

I don't know how many lines you have connected between the THP and the
K3, but the simplistic view would be to use a relay to switch the RF
input between the two amplifiers and also place the non-selected one in
Standby.  Of course that simplistic solution would require that both
amplifiers have an input signal line to place the amp into standby
remotely - many do not, but modern amplifiers should IMHO.  Older
amplifiers typically have only a front panel switch.

On 2/15/2011 6:15 PM, Bill K9YEQ wrote:
> Wayne,
>
> I have my THP HL-2.5kfx, is there a way to control both via the K3?  I would
> like to select the device to use based on conditions without going through a
> lot of switching.
>
> Bill
> K9YEQ

Re: KPA-500 from Orlando

Mike Reublin
Wayne -

Can the K3 drive a band decoder (aka automagic antenna sw) and the KPA500
simultaneously via the 15 pin connector?

73, Mike NF4L

On 2/15/2011 4:05 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

>> Jack, doesn't the k3 have a way of automatically setting the band on
>> the KPA500?
> Yes. It can do this in two ways: (a) RF sensing; (b) band data from
> the K3.
>
> The K3 can be connected to the KPA500 via the 15-pin connector. This
> will provide band data for the amp when the K3's band is changed. But
> it will also allow you to use the amp's band switches to change bands
> on the radio, see a report of amp fault conditions, operate/standby
> status, etc.
>
> The nice thing about having the K3 know about amp operate/standby
> status is that the K3 can provide two entirely different per-band
> power-level setups. When you put the amp into operate condition, it
> will retrieve all of the amp drive levels you set up on each band.
> When you go to standby, the K3 will use its "barefoot" power settings.
>
> Some of this is still being tested and has not been provided to field
> testers yet.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: KPA-500 from Orlando

wayne burdick
Administrator
Yes.

You might also take a look at our KRC2 band decoder, which provides
per-band sink and source outputs to drive antenna relays, etc. It can
be controlled directly from a K3.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Feb 15, 2011, at 3:27 PM, Mike wrote:

> Wayne -
>
> Can the K3 drive a band decoder (aka automagic antenna sw) and the
> KPA500
> simultaneously via the 15 pin connector?
>
> 73, Mike NF4L
>
> On 2/15/2011 4:05 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
>>> Jack, doesn't the k3 have a way of automatically setting the band on
>>> the KPA500?
>> Yes. It can do this in two ways: (a) RF sensing; (b) band data from
>> the K3.
>>
>> The K3 can be connected to the KPA500 via the 15-pin connector. This
>> will provide band data for the amp when the K3's band is changed. But
>> it will also allow you to use the amp's band switches to change bands
>> on the radio, see a report of amp fault conditions, operate/standby
>> status, etc.
>>
>> The nice thing about having the K3 know about amp operate/standby
>> status is that the K3 can provide two entirely different per-band
>> power-level setups. When you put the amp into operate condition, it
>> will retrieve all of the amp drive levels you set up on each band.
>> When you go to standby, the K3 will use its "barefoot" power
>> settings.
>>
>> Some of this is still being tested and has not been provided to field
>> testers yet.
>>
>> 73,
>> Wayne
>> N6KR

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: KPA-500 from Orlando

Bill K9YEQ
Don,

Thank you for your input.  I would also want band switching to work with
both.  I know if I shut off the 2.5KFX it is bypassed.  The issue is to
control both, with one or the other shut off.  I operate lots with the 2.5
shut off.  I also have the P3, which shouldn't be an issue, I would think.
I need to get the KPA-500 soon so the other half doesn't notice too much
change and before she retires.   Have been loading up the shack if you know
what I mean.  :-)

Also,  I have not resolved the KX-1 question yet, so when I get time will
try one more time and if not successful will send to you.  I am not about to
retire, so am so busy I have trouble keeping up with all the great Elecraft
stuff that I keep adding just so I have it.  I even miss updates unless I am
a beta tester.  If I get the beta it avoid so much of the watching the list.
Most beta's are perfect.

Bill
K9YEQ

I don't know how many lines you have connected between the THP and the K3,
but the simplistic view would be to use a relay to switch the RF input
between the two amplifiers and also place the non-selected one in Standby.
Of course that simplistic solution would require that both amplifiers have
an input signal line to place the amp into standby remotely - many do not,
but modern amplifiers should IMHO.  Older amplifiers typically have only a
front panel switch.

On 2/15/2011 6:15 PM, Bill K9YEQ wrote:
> Wayne,
>
> I have my THP HL-2.5kfx, is there a way to control both via the K3?  I
> would like to select the device to use based on conditions without
> going through a lot of switching.
>
> Bill
> K9YEQ

Re: KPA-500 from Orlando

  Mike,

I am not Wayne, but I do not see a problem because the band data signals
from the K3 come from simple TTL level drivers (they are outputs).
There is nothing wrong with having multiple receivers listening to the
driver output - as long as the available current from the driver (fan
out) is not exceeded.

OTOH, connecting multiple drivers to one input signal will create
confusion without additional gating logic.

The physical connection may require a full 15 pin "Y" adapter (note that
a VGA splitter will not work - all pins are not isolated and some are
missing).

On 2/15/2011 6:27 PM, Mike wrote:
> Wayne -
>
> Can the K3 drive a band decoder (aka automagic antenna sw) and the KPA500
> simultaneously via the 15 pin connector?
>
> 73, Mike NF4L

Re: KPA-500 from Orlando

N5GE

Wayne et al,

I use a LRC2 for all of my HF antennas, and as our friends across the pond would
say, "It works a treat.".

I'm planning a new tower installation here and another KRC2 will switch all of
the VHF/UHF antennas if it's doable.  I haven't read up on it yet, but I see
remember nothing about the setup that prevent it.

73,

Tom Childers
Radio Amateur N5GE
Licensed since 1976
QCWA Life Member 35102
ARRL Life Member
Retired Professional
C# Software developer
http://www.n5ge.net

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 15:35:42 -0800, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]>  wrote:

>Yes.
>
>You might also take a look at our KRC2 band decoder, which provides
>per-band sink and source outputs to drive antenna relays, etc. It can
>be controlled directly from a K3.
>
>73,
>Wayne
>N6KR

[snip]

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: KPA-500 from Orlando

Phil Salas
"Wayne,  I have my THP HL-2.5kfx, is there a way to control both via the K3?
I would
like to select the device to use based on conditions without going through a
lot of switching.  Bill K9YEQ"

Unless the design has been changed recently, either the HL1.5 or the HL2.5
(or maybe both - I can't remember) load down the band data lines when the
amp is turned off.  If you have a stiff enough band data source (like a TTL
driver), you can actually partially power-up the processor in the THP amp
via the band data inputs when the amp is off.  So you may have to switch the
band data lines between the KPA500 and the THP amp.  Or use band data for
the THP amp, and the KPA500 RF sense for KPA500 band changing (the KPA500 RF
sense works VERY well).

Phil - AD5X