KPA 500

Locked 57 messages Options

KPA 500

dhhdeh
  Eric.Wayne,

Will you be offering an accompanying outboard ATU
for the KPA500 in the same time frame or near it?

That will be a factor in my decision to buy one
early on.

TNX es 73 de N1LQ-Dave

Re: KPA 500

wayne burdick
Administrator
Hi Dave,

We're working on a high-performance, 500 watt+ balanced ATU (KAT500)
that can be used with the KPA500 or other amplifiers in this power
class. Details over coming months.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Oct 18, 2010, at 3:33 PM, David and Dianne on Comcast wrote:

>  Eric.Wayne,
>
> Will you be offering an accompanying outboard ATU
> for the KPA500 in the same time frame or near it?
>
> That will be a factor in my decision to buy one
> early on.
>
> TNX es 73 de N1LQ-Dave

Re: KPA 500

ab2tc
Hi,

That's extremely interesting. Will that be a motor driven or relay operated tuner? Any hints as to size? More than one antenna?

AB2TC - Knut

wayne burdick wrote
Hi Dave,

We're working on a high-performance, 500 watt+ balanced ATU (KAT500)
that can be used with the KPA500 or other amplifiers in this power
class. Details over coming months.

73,
Wayne
N6KR
<snip>

Re: KPA 500

wayne burdick
Administrator
Very rugged relay-switched L network. Probably about the size of a P3,
and usable at the base of the antenna or indoors. Probably 4 antenna
jacks.

That's all for now :)

Wayne
N6KR

On Oct 18, 2010, at 4:52 PM, ab2tc wrote:

> Hi,
>
> That's extremely interesting. Will that be a motor driven or relay
> operated
> tuner? Any hints as to size? More than one antenna?
>
> AB2TC - Knut
>

> wayne burdick wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> We're working on a high-performance, 500 watt+ balanced ATU (KAT500)
>> that can be used with the KPA500 or other amplifiers in this power
>> class. Details over coming months.
>>
>> 73,
>> Wayne
>> N6KR
>> <snip>

Re: KPA 500

ab2tc
Hi again,

I am drooling already.

AB2TC - Knut

wayne burdick wrote
Very rugged relay-switched L network. Probably about the size of a P3,
and usable at the base of the antenna or indoors. Probably 4 antenna
jacks.

That's all for now :)

Wayne
N6KR

<snip>

Re: KPA 500

Johnny Siu
Hello Wayne,

The beauty of Elecraft gears is that you have the free choices to select your
preferred options to suit yourself.  I am always interested in knowing the total
bill of KPA500 + KAT500 as a whole in due course.

Naturally, I would expect a much stronger metal enclosure + screws + structure
for KPA500 & KAT500 than the K3.

cheers,

Johnny
VR2XMC

________________________________
寄件人﹕ Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]>
收件人﹕ ab2tc <[hidden email]>
副本(CC) [hidden email]
傳送日期﹕ 2010/10/19 (二) 7:55:49 AM
主題: Re: [Elecraft] KPA 500

Very rugged relay-switched L network. Probably about the size of a P3,
and usable at the base of the antenna or indoors. Probably 4 antenna
jacks.

That's all for now :)

Wayne
N6KR

On Oct 18, 2010, at 4:52 PM, ab2tc wrote:

> Hi,
>
> That's extremely interesting. Will that be a motor driven or relay
> operated
> tuner? Any hints as to size? More than one antenna?
>
> AB2TC - Knut
>

> wayne burdick wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> We're working on a high-performance, 500 watt+ balanced ATU (KAT500)
>> that can be used with the KPA500 or other amplifiers in this power
>> class. Details over coming months.
>>
>> 73,
>> Wayne
>> N6KR
>> <snip>

Re: KPA 500

gm3sek
Wayne Burdick wrote:
>Very rugged relay-switched L network. Probably about the size of a P3,
>and usable at the base of the antenna or indoors. Probably 4 antenna
>jacks.
>
>That's all for now :)

If it's still possible at this stage in the design process, please
consider a "bare" (or minimally enclosed) packaging option for the ATU,
which can then be installed in the user's own weatherproof enclosure.

Many people may want an outdoor ATU, but the standards of
weatherproofing required in different parts of the world vary
enormously. Users in wet climates require very high standards of
weatherproofing which users in more 'average' climates shouldn't have to
pay for.

A good example of the "bare" packaging concept is the SGC-239:
http://www.sgcworld.com/239ProductPage.html

But (contrary to SGC) this is NOT about reducing costs. It's about
allowing users to package the unit to meet their own local
weatherproofing requirements, which only they can understand fully.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

KPA 500

Johnny Siu
Hello Ian,

I am very sure that Elecraft is clever in choosing both packing and construction
materials for their radio gears

For example, the screws of K3 rust so easily that they now give you the option
to spend US$19.9 to replace them with stainless steel screws.

For a radio at the price range of effectively over $2,000, you are given the
chance to option for better screws.

73

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
寄件人﹕ Ian White GM3SEK <[hidden email]>
收件人﹕ [hidden email]
傳送日期﹕ 2010/10/19 (二) 4:21:31 PM
主題: Re: [Elecraft] KPA 500

Wayne Burdick wrote:
>Very rugged relay-switched L network. Probably about the size of a P3,
>and usable at the base of the antenna or indoors. Probably 4 antenna
>jacks.
>
>That's all for now :)

If it's still possible at this stage in the design process, please
consider a "bare" (or minimally enclosed) packaging option for the ATU,
which can then be installed in the user's own weatherproof enclosure.

Many people may want an outdoor ATU, but the standards of
weatherproofing required in different parts of the world vary
enormously. Users in wet climates require very high standards of
weatherproofing which users in more 'average' climates shouldn't have to
pay for.

A good example of the "bare" packaging concept is the SGC-239:
http://www.sgcworld.com/239ProductPage.html

But (contrary to SGC) this is NOT about reducing costs. It's about
allowing users to package the unit to meet their own local
weatherproofing requirements, which only they can understand fully.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Re: KPA 500

k5oai
isn't it as wonderful thing that all Elecraft's competitor's
already include stainless screws, so it isn't even needed as an option
and since we are not required to buy Elecraft products,
we have a choice, now let me see where is that in their specs.....

oh wait, my bad, I must have been dreaming
none of them do
:-(

GB & 73
K5OAI
Sam Morgan

On 10/19/2010 6:26 AM, Johnny Siu wrote:

> Hello Ian,
>
> I am very sure that Elecraft is clever in choosing both packing and construction
> materials for their radio gears
>
> For example, the screws of K3 rust so easily that they now give you the option
> to spend US$19.9 to replace them with stainless steel screws.
>
> For a radio at the price range of effectively over $2,000, you are given the
> chance to option for better screws.
>
> 73
>
> Johnny VR2XMC
>

> ________________________________
> 寄件人﹕ Ian White GM3SEK<[hidden email]>
> 收件人﹕ [hidden email]
> 傳送日期﹕ 2010/10/19 (二) 4:21:31 PM
> 主題: Re: [Elecraft] KPA 500
>
> Wayne Burdick wrote:
>> Very rugged relay-switched L network. Probably about the size of a P3,
>> and usable at the base of the antenna or indoors. Probably 4 antenna
>> jacks.
>>
>> That's all for now :)
>>

> If it's still possible at this stage in the design process, please
> consider a "bare" (or minimally enclosed) packaging option for the ATU,
> which can then be installed in the user's own weatherproof enclosure.
>
> Many people may want an outdoor ATU, but the standards of
> weatherproofing required in different parts of the world vary
> enormously. Users in wet climates require very high standards of
> weatherproofing which users in more 'average' climates shouldn't have to
> pay for.
>
> A good example of the "bare" packaging concept is the SGC-239:
> http://www.sgcworld.com/239ProductPage.html
>
> But (contrary to SGC) this is NOT about reducing costs. It's about
> allowing users to package the unit to meet their own local
> weatherproofing requirements, which only they can understand fully.

Re: KPA 500

K2QI
Sorry, but that sounds more like nickel and diming to me.  For the amount of
money we spend on these rigs, I had hoped that Elecraft would have provided
replacement stainless screws for free.  If a manufacturer knows that there's
a problem with a product, wouldn't you want them to correct it without
charging you?  Just my 2 cents...

73 de James K2QI

--
73 de James K2QI
President UNARC/4U1UN

--... ...-- -.. . .--- .- -- . ...

Re: KPA 500

k5oai
makes sense to me
maybe 1-3% of your targeted market
lives in an environment that is so wet
lets add $20.00 to the price of our produce
for the other 97% of buyers......

that's the kind of marketing savvy that could bankrupted a company

GB & 73
K5OAI
Sam Morgan

On 10/19/2010 7:08 AM, James Sarte wrote:

> Sorry, but that sounds more like nickel and diming to me.  For the amount of
> money we spend on these rigs, I had hoped that Elecraft would have provided
> replacement stainless screws for free.  If a manufacturer knows that there's
> a problem with a product, wouldn't you want them to correct it without
> charging you?  Just my 2 cents...
>
> 73 de James K2QI
>
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 7:26 AM, Johnny Siu<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Hello Ian,
>>
>> I am very sure that Elecraft is clever in choosing both packing and
>> construction
>> materials for their radio gears
>>
>> For example, the screws of K3 rust so easily that they now give you the
>> option
>> to spend US$19.9 to replace them with stainless steel screws.
>>
>> For a radio at the price range of effectively over $2,000, you are given
>> the
>> chance to option for better screws.
>>
>> 73
>>
>> Johnny VR2XMC

Re: KPA 500

Bob Naumann W5OV
Blame whomever you want, but this economy is to blame for a lot of this.

Companies are not willing to invest in inventory not being able to know what
the future business climate is going to be like. Things like stainless steel
hardware are in short supply and very expensive.

73,

Bob W5OV

P.S. My K3's screws don't have any rust and I've had it for almost 2 years.

lets add $20.00 to the price of our produce
for the other 97% of buyers......

that's the kind of marketing savvy that could bankrupted a company

GB & 73
K5OAI
Sam Morgan

On 10/19/2010 7:08 AM, James Sarte wrote:
> Sorry, but that sounds more like nickel and diming to me.  For the amount
of
> money we spend on these rigs, I had hoped that Elecraft would have
provided
> replacement stainless screws for free.  If a manufacturer knows that
there's

> a problem with a product, wouldn't you want them to correct it without
> charging you?  Just my 2 cents...
>
> 73 de James K2QI
>
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 7:26 AM, Johnny Siu<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Hello Ian,
>>
>> I am very sure that Elecraft is clever in choosing both packing and
>> construction
>> materials for their radio gears
>>
>> For example, the screws of K3 rust so easily that they now give you the
>> option
>> to spend US$19.9 to replace them with stainless steel screws.
>>
>> For a radio at the price range of effectively over $2,000, you are given
>> the
>> chance to option for better screws.
>>
>> 73
>>
>> Johnny VR2XMC

Re: KPA 500

Jack Smith-6
  In small quantities, boxes of 100, I pay about 3.5 cents each for 4-40
1/4 inch stainless steel (18-8) pan head screws used in my kits. Similar
zinc plated steel screws are 1.2 cents each, for a difference of 2.3 cents.

In a kit with 100 of these or similar screws, the cost difference would
be thus $2.30. If I were purchasing these in 10,000 lots, prices would,
of course, be less.

All the hardware I use in kits is stainless steel. The integral gasket
head 4-40 x 5/8" stainless steel screws in the outdoor Z1501D active
antenna (needed for weatherproofing) are 60 cents each, but if properly
installed are leak proof.

Jack
www.cliftonlaboratories.com

On 10/19/2010 8:51 AM, Bob Naumann wrote:

> Blame whomever you want, but this economy is to blame for a lot of this.
>
> Companies are not willing to invest in inventory not being able to know what
> the future business climate is going to be like. Things like stainless steel
> hardware are in short supply and very expensive.
>
> 73,
>
> Bob W5OV
>
> P.S. My K3's screws don't have any rust and I've had it for almost 2 years.

Re: KPA 500

gm3sek
Johnny Siu wrote:

[deleted]

Please keep that stuff OUT of this discussion.

We now return you to the topic of outdoor ATUs.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Re: KPA 500

Johnny Siu
Hi Bob,

Yes, you may be right but K3 is a top of line radio with price tag over $2,000.
A couple of stainless steel screws are not necessary damaging its profit margin
but just make it more perfect.

I think Elecraft is not only just target the local market but also overseas
market.  My screws become rust well within the first year.  I am not sure
whether Hong Kong is classified as an extreme humid city.  However, all my other
gears, even $200 H/T, have never experienced rust problem on the screws.

Naturally, it is not my intention to make any issue for just a couple of
screws.  It is merely just an experience share over the forum.

I am pretty sure Elecraft is a nice company who will make the KPA500 in good
physical and construction standard.  Perhaps, the KPA500 will come with
stainless steel screws ^-^

73

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
寄件人﹕ Bob Naumann <[hidden email]>
收件人﹕ Sam Morgan <[hidden email]>; [hidden email]
傳送日期﹕ 2010/10/19 (二) 8:51:11 PM
主題: Re: [Elecraft] KPA 500

Blame whomever you want, but this economy is to blame for a lot of this.

Companies are not willing to invest in inventory not being able to know what
the future business climate is going to be like. Things like stainless steel
hardware are in short supply and very expensive.

73,

Bob W5OV

P.S. My K3's screws don't have any rust and I've had it for almost 2 years.

lets add $20.00 to the price of our produce
for the other 97% of buyers......

that's the kind of marketing savvy that could bankrupted a company

GB & 73
K5OAI
Sam Morgan

On 10/19/2010 7:08 AM, James Sarte wrote:
> Sorry, but that sounds more like nickel and diming to me.  For the amount
of
> money we spend on these rigs, I had hoped that Elecraft would have
provided
> replacement stainless screws for free.  If a manufacturer knows that
there's

> a problem with a product, wouldn't you want them to correct it without
> charging you?  Just my 2 cents...
>
> 73 de James K2QI
>
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 7:26 AM, Johnny Siu<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Hello Ian,
>>
>> I am very sure that Elecraft is clever in choosing both packing and
>> construction
>> materials for their radio gears
>>
>> For example, the screws of K3 rust so easily that they now give you the
>> option
>> to spend US$19.9 to replace them with stainless steel screws.
>>
>> For a radio at the price range of effectively over $2,000, you are given
>> the
>> chance to option for better screws.
>>
>> 73
>>
>> Johnny VR2XMC

Re: KPA 500

K2QI
Sorry to keep dragging this conversation off topic, but Jack gives a good
example.  The cost of including stainless hardware with all future kits is
marginal.  Giving free replacements to those that really need it, or even as
a good will gesture to every K3 owner doesn't seem like it would be that big
of a deal financially.  But, to charge 20 dollars for a bag of screws is a
bit beyond me.

Even items like the I/O Output Buffer mod kit which they sell for $5.00 plus
shipping is only a few cents worth of resistors and diodes.  Granted, being
able to buy the mod kit with all parts and instructions directly from the
manufacturer is convenient, but go to somewhere like Mouser and you'll see
that you can buy whole rolls of this stuff for a few bucks.

Anyway, sorry for the rant... I now return you to your regularly scheduled
discussion.

73 de James K2QI

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Jack Smith <
[hidden email]> wrote:

>  In small quantities, boxes of 100, I pay about 3.5 cents each for 4-40
> 1/4 inch stainless steel (18-8) pan head screws used in my kits. Similar
> zinc plated steel screws are 1.2 cents each, for a difference of 2.3 cents.
>
> In a kit with 100 of these or similar screws, the cost difference would
> be thus $2.30. If I were purchasing these in 10,000 lots, prices would,
> of course, be less.
>
> All the hardware I use in kits is stainless steel. The integral gasket
> head 4-40 x 5/8" stainless steel screws in the outdoor Z1501D active
> antenna (needed for weatherproofing) are 60 cents each, but if properly
> installed are leak proof.
>
> Jack
> www.cliftonlaboratories.com

--
73 de James K2QI
President UNARC/4U1UN

--... ...-- -.. . .--- .- -- . ...

Re: KPA 500

KE4INM
I guess Elecraft has volunteers to sort, package and ship all these freebees. Sorry, but someone has to get paid to do the work. If you want to buy all the different size screws, nuts, washers and sort them, bag them up and send them in the mail for free or even $5.00. I'll take one.

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 19, 2010, at 9:35 AM, James Sarte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry to keep dragging this conversation off topic, but Jack gives a good
> example.  The cost of including stainless hardware with all future kits is
> marginal.  Giving free replacements to those that really need it, or even as
> a good will gesture to every K3 owner doesn't seem like it would be that big
> of a deal financially.  But, to charge 20 dollars for a bag of screws is a
> bit beyond me.
>
> Even items like the I/O Output Buffer mod kit which they sell for $5.00 plus
> shipping is only a few cents worth of resistors and diodes.  Granted, being
> able to buy the mod kit with all parts and instructions directly from the
> manufacturer is convenient, but go to somewhere like Mouser and you'll see
> that you can buy whole rolls of this stuff for a few bucks.
>
> Anyway, sorry for the rant... I now return you to your regularly scheduled
> discussion.
>
> 73 de James K2QI
>
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Jack Smith <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> In small quantities, boxes of 100, I pay about 3.5 cents each for 4-40
>> 1/4 inch stainless steel (18-8) pan head screws used in my kits. Similar
>> zinc plated steel screws are 1.2 cents each, for a difference of 2.3 cents.
>>
>> In a kit with 100 of these or similar screws, the cost difference would
>> be thus $2.30. If I were purchasing these in 10,000 lots, prices would,
>> of course, be less.
>>
>> All the hardware I use in kits is stainless steel. The integral gasket
>> head 4-40 x 5/8" stainless steel screws in the outdoor Z1501D active
>> antenna (needed for weatherproofing) are 60 cents each, but if properly
>> installed are leak proof.
>>
>> Jack
>> www.cliftonlaboratories.com
>>

> --
> 73 de James K2QI
> President UNARC/4U1UN

Re: KPA 500

George & Jan
IMHO - Elecraft's mod kits are a great bargain compared to modifications
that I bought from broadcast equipment suppliers. Broadcast equipment
suppliers are probably making equipment on a similar scale.

Remember we need to pay (yes it costs to create a modification) for the
research & development , documentation, labor to put the kit together, order
processing, accounting, plus just plain old overhead. Those costs are way
more than the parts themselves.

If we want to have the great service we get today, we need to accept the
fact that it will cost us a a fair profit for Elecraft. Talk to friends who
have tried to get service to help them repair a radio and have given up and
sent the radio back for a very expensive repair that replaced a 25 cent
part.

Personally - all but one mod on my K3 used parts from my junk boxes. I'm
very thankful that Elecraft keeps upgrading ( modifying) our equipment!

George
AI4VZ

Re: KPA 500

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

 > Even items like the I/O Output Buffer mod kit which they sell for
 > $5.00 plus shipping is only a few cents worth of resistors and
 > diodes.

You forget the overhead cost of kitting, manual writing/printing,
billing, lights and heat, even engineering/development cost, etc.
Without a doubt there more overhead cost in the kits than just
the parts - particularly the small kits.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 10/19/2010 9:35 AM, James Sarte wrote:

> Sorry to keep dragging this conversation off topic, but Jack gives a good
> example.  The cost of including stainless hardware with all future kits is
> marginal.  Giving free replacements to those that really need it, or even as
> a good will gesture to every K3 owner doesn't seem like it would be that big
> of a deal financially.  But, to charge 20 dollars for a bag of screws is a
> bit beyond me.
>
> Even items like the I/O Output Buffer mod kit which they sell for $5.00 plus
> shipping is only a few cents worth of resistors and diodes.  Granted, being
> able to buy the mod kit with all parts and instructions directly from the
> manufacturer is convenient, but go to somewhere like Mouser and you'll see
> that you can buy whole rolls of this stuff for a few bucks.
>
> Anyway, sorry for the rant... I now return you to your regularly scheduled
> discussion.
>
> 73 de James K2QI
>
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Jack Smith<
> [hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>>   In small quantities, boxes of 100, I pay about 3.5 cents each for 4-40
>> 1/4 inch stainless steel (18-8) pan head screws used in my kits. Similar
>> zinc plated steel screws are 1.2 cents each, for a difference of 2.3 cents.
>>
>> In a kit with 100 of these or similar screws, the cost difference would
>> be thus $2.30. If I were purchasing these in 10,000 lots, prices would,
>> of course, be less.
>>
>> All the hardware I use in kits is stainless steel. The integral gasket
>> head 4-40 x 5/8" stainless steel screws in the outdoor Z1501D active
>> antenna (needed for weatherproofing) are 60 cents each, but if properly
>> installed are leak proof.
>>
>> Jack
>> www.cliftonlaboratories.com

Re: Re: KPA 500