KPA-500 vs THP

Gary Gregory
Hi All,

Has anyone noticed Tokyo High Price have announced what seems to be a
direct competitor to the KPA-500?

Reading the blurb it seems like they are jumping on the bandwagon for
portable amplifiers BUT the price is just a bit worrisome?

Aaaah competition seems alive and well..:-)

73's
Gary

--
Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile

Re: KPA-500 vs THP

Bob Naumann W5OV
Gary,

"Jumping on the bandwagon"?

THP has been driving that "bandwagon" for about 4 years with the previous
model - the HL-1.1KFX. The new one, the HL-550FX simply adds 6m to the
previous model.

I would wager that THP is not aware of the developments at Elecraft. In
fact, the HL550FX was envisioned/planned long before Elecraft first
announced the KPA-500.

73,

Bob W5OV

Re: KPA-500 vs THP

n7ws
The THP '550 is $2950 USD and is available now. How much is the KPA-500 and when can I buy one?

N7WS

--- On Mon, 1/24/11, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone noticed Tokyo High Price have announced what
> seems to be a
> direct competitor to the KPA-500?
>
> Reading the blurb it seems like they are jumping on the
> bandwagon for
> portable amplifiers BUT the price is just a bit worrisome?
>
> Aaaah competition seems alive and well..:-)
>
> 73's
> Gary

Re: KPA-500 vs THP

wayne burdick
The KPA500 will be far less expensive than the new THP amp.

We'll have more to say on this soon, now that the KPA500 field test is
in full swing.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Jan 24, 2011, at 1:51 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone noticed Tokyo High Price have announced what seems to be a
> direct competitor to the KPA-500?

Re: KPA-500 vs THP

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Way less than that for both the kit and build versions. We haven't set
the final price yet, but the kit version should come in about $1995.
We're in field test right now.

Stay tuned!

73, Eric
----

On 1/24/2011 6:23 AM, Wes Stewart wrote:

> The THP '550 is $2950 USD and is available now. How much is the KPA-500 and when can I buy one?
>
> N7WS
>
> --- On Mon, 1/24/11, Gary Gregory<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Has anyone noticed Tokyo High Price have announced what
>> seems to be a
>> direct competitor to the KPA-500?
>>
>> Reading the blurb it seems like they are jumping on the
>> bandwagon for
>> portable amplifiers BUT the price is just a bit worrisome?
>>
>> Aaaah competition seems alive and well..:-)
>>
>> 73's
>> Gary

Re: KPA-500 vs THP

W5UXH
I remain interested in knowing if the KPA-500 will handle QSK with the K3 in CW+ mode at 65 wpm, and if it uses PIN diode switching for QSK.

Chuck, W5UXH

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote
Way less than that for both the kit and build versions. We haven't set
the final price yet, but the kit version should come in about $1995.
We're in field test right now.

Stay tuned!

73, Eric

Re: KPA-500 vs THP

wayne burdick
Administrator
The KPA500 will do full QSK at over 80 WPM with the K3 in QRQ mode.

Yes, it uses PIN-diode T/R switching.

Wayne
N6KR

On Jan 24, 2011, at 9:54 AM, W5UXH wrote:

> I remain interested in knowing if the KPA-500 will handle QSK with
> the K3 in
> CW+ mode at 65 wpm, and if it uses PIN diode switching for QSK.
>
> Chuck, W5UXH
>

> Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
>>
>> Way less than that for both the kit and build versions. We haven't
>> set
>> the final price yet, but the kit version should come in about $1995.
>> We're in field test right now.
>>
>> Stay tuned!
>>
>> 73, Eric

Re: KPA-500 vs THP

Claude Du Berger
And have been told the KPA-500 capable of 500w RTTY.
I dont have choice I need one. Dreaming of my next RSGB IOTA
expedition  on NA-128

73 de Claude VE2FK

The KPA500 will do full QSK at over 80 WPM with the K3 in QRQ mode.

Yes, it uses PIN-diode T/R switching.

Wayne
N6KR

On Jan 24, 2011, at 9:54 AM, W5UXH wrote:

> I remain interested in knowing if the KPA-500 will handle QSK with
> the K3 in
> CW+ mode at 65 wpm, and if it uses PIN diode switching for QSK.
>
> Chuck, W5UXH
>

> Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
>>
>> Way less than that for both the kit and build versions. We haven't
>> set
>> the final price yet, but the kit version should come in about $1995.
>> We're in field test right now.
>>
>> Stay tuned!
>>
>> 73, Eric

-----
Aucun virus trouve dans ce message.
Analyse effectuee par AVG - www.avg.fr
Version: 10.0.1202 / Base de donnees virale: 1435/3399 - Date: 23/01/2011

Re: KPA-500 vs THP

Ken Chandler
I'm more interested in how the KPA 500 handles a full blown 48hr CW contest  with full QSK.
What connections are on
the rear panel, etc.
I just hope someone from the contesting brotherhood has it and given it a really good workout!!

Ken..G0ORH  k2, K3, P3

Sent from my iPhone

On 24 Jan 2011, at 18:04, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The KPA500 will do full QSK at over 80 WPM with the K3 in QRQ mode.
>
> Yes, it uses PIN-diode T/R switching.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> On Jan 24, 2011, at 9:54 AM, W5UXH wrote:
>

>> I remain interested in knowing if the KPA-500 will handle QSK with
>> the K3 in
>> CW+ mode at 65 wpm, and if it uses PIN diode switching for QSK.
>>
>> Chuck, W5UXH
>>

>> Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
>>>
>>> Way less than that for both the kit and build versions. We haven't
>>> set
>>> the final price yet, but the kit version should come in about $1995.
>>> We're in field test right now.
>>>
>>> Stay tuned!
>>>
>>> 73, Eric
>>>

>> --
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: KPA-500 vs THP

Gary Gregory
To All,

Well I am a bit surprised at some comments. I guess my thoughts on the
'closeness' of the THP caused some angst with some.

The kit version of the KPA-500 is my choice.

My 'shack' (read desk) is a THP Free Zone...:-)

73's
Gary

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 4:31 AM, Ken Chandler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm more interested in how the KPA 500 handles a full blown 48hr CW contest  with full QSK.
> What connections are on
> the rear panel, etc.
> I just hope someone from the contesting brotherhood has it and given it a really good workout!!
>

> Ken..G0ORH  k2, K3, P3
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>

> On 24 Jan 2011, at 18:04, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The KPA500 will do full QSK at over 80 WPM with the K3 in QRQ mode.
>>
>> Yes, it uses PIN-diode T/R switching.
>>
>> Wayne
>> N6KR
>>
>> On Jan 24, 2011, at 9:54 AM, W5UXH wrote:
>>

>>> I remain interested in knowing if the KPA-500 will handle QSK with
>>> the K3 in
>>> CW+ mode at 65 wpm, and if it uses PIN diode switching for QSK.
>>>
>>> Chuck, W5UXH

>>> --
>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
http://www.qsl.net/vk4fd/
K3 #679
For everything else there's Mastercard!!!

KPA-500 vs THP

Johnny Siu
Hello Wes,

THP is expensive. SPE Expert 1Ka is selling at US$3,870 here but with built in
ATU and more power.  I will wait for KPA500 + KAT500.
cheers,

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
寄件人﹕ Wes Stewart <[hidden email]>
收件人﹕ [hidden email]
傳送日期﹕ 2011/1/24 (一) 10:23:00 PM
主題: Re: [Elecraft] KPA-500 vs THP

The THP '550 is $2950 USD and is available now. How much is the KPA-500 and when
can I buy one?

N7WS

--- On Mon, 1/24/11, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone noticed Tokyo High Price have announced what
> seems to be a
> direct competitor to the KPA-500?
>
> Reading the blurb it seems like they are jumping on the
> bandwagon for
> portable amplifiers BUT the price is just a bit worrisome?
>
> Aaaah competition seems alive and well..:-)
>
> 73's
> Gary

Re: KPA-500 vs THP

Jim Brown-10
On 1/24/2011 10:31 AM, Ken Chandler wrote:
> I'm more interested in how the KPA 500 handles a full blown 48hr CW contest  with full QSK.
> What connections are on
> the rear panel, etc.
> I just hope someone from the contesting brotherhood has it and given it a really good workout!!

Contesters have always been part of Elecraft's beta test program,
including several who won spots to represent the US in Russia last
July.  Several of them are my close neighbors.   So yes, the KPA500 is
getting a VERY serious workout in serious contest stations.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: KPA-500 vs THP

Phil Hystad-3
Of course, this little exercise (below) is not exactly comparing apples to apples but it is a rough idea of relative cost per watt:

     THP Amplifiers:      HL-1.2KFX     750 watt       $2600     $3.47 per watt
                                 HL-1.5KFX    1000 watt      $3500     $3.50 per watt
                                 HL-2.5KFX    1500 watt      $6000     $4.00 per watt
                                 HL-550FX       550 watt      $2950     $5.37 per watt

     ICOM Amplifier:     IC-PW1         1000 watt      $4600  (price I paid 4 years ago)   $4.60 per watt

     Elecraft KPA500:    KPA500           500 watt      $2000     $4.00 per watt

The THP prices are from HRO web site, the Icom price is what I paid retail from HRO, and the Elecraft is recently quoted here by Eric (I think).  I know that these are not all exactly the same kind of configuration but it gives
you an idea where things set.  Elecraft is not the cheapest and it is not the most expensive -- sort of right in
the middle.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Jan 24, 2011, at 4:17 PM, Johnny Siu wrote:

> Hello Wes,
>
> THP is expensive. SPE Expert 1Ka is selling at US$3,870 here but with built in
> ATU and more power.  I will wait for KPA500 + KAT500.
> cheers,
>

> Johnny VR2XMC
>

> ________________________________
> 寄件人﹕ Wes Stewart <[hidden email]>
> 收件人﹕ [hidden email]
> 傳送日期﹕ 2011/1/24 (一) 10:23:00 PM
> 主題: Re: [Elecraft] KPA-500 vs THP
>
> The THP '550 is $2950 USD and is available now. How much is the KPA-500 and when
> can I buy one?
>
> N7WS
>
> --- On Mon, 1/24/11, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Has anyone noticed Tokyo High Price have announced what
>> seems to be a
>> direct competitor to the KPA-500?
>>
>> Reading the blurb it seems like they are jumping on the
>> bandwagon for
>> portable amplifiers BUT the price is just a bit worrisome?
>>
>> Aaaah competition seems alive and well..:-)
>>
>> 73's
>> Gary

Re: KPA-500 vs THP

Johnny Siu
Hello Phil,

Yes, good exercise.  Except ICPW1, all the prices are WITHOUT antenna tuning
unit.

Based on that, the price per watt for SPE is say $3.9 per watt but with built-in
ATU.  THP will be sure out of my consideration.

 cheers,

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
寄件人﹕ Phil Hystad <[hidden email]>
收件人﹕ Johnny Siu <[hidden email]>
副本(CC) Wes Stewart <[hidden email]>; Elecraft <[hidden email]>
傳送日期﹕ 2011/1/25 (二) 10:52:46 AM
主題: Re: [Elecraft] KPA-500 vs THP

Of course, this little exercise (below) is not exactly comparing apples to
apples but it is a rough idea of relative cost per watt:

    THP Amplifiers:      HL-1.2KFX    750 watt      $2600    $3.47 per watt
                                HL-1.5KFX    1000 watt      $3500    $3.50 per
watt
                                HL-2.5KFX    1500 watt      $6000    $4.00 per
watt
                                HL-550FX      550 watt      $2950    $5.37 per
watt

    ICOM Amplifier:    IC-PW1        1000 watt      $4600  (price I paid 4 years
ago)  $4.60 per watt

    Elecraft KPA500:    KPA500          500 watt      $2000    $4.00 per watt

The THP prices are from HRO web site, the Icom price is what I paid retail from
HRO, and the Elecraft is recently quoted here by Eric (I think).  I know that
these are not all exactly the same kind of configuration but it gives
you an idea where things set.  Elecraft is not the cheapest and it is not the
most expensive -- sort of right in

the middle.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Jan 24, 2011, at 4:17 PM, Johnny Siu wrote:

> Hello Wes,
>
> THP is expensive. SPE Expert 1Ka is selling at US$3,870 here but with built in

> ATU and more power.  I will wait for KPA500 + KAT500.
> cheers,
>

> Johnny VR2XMC

Re: Re: KPA-500 vs THP

Phil Hystad-3
The PW-1 antenna tuner is only 3:1 wide so it is not a full function antenna tuner.  Indeed, I use that in concert with a Palstar AT1KM antenna tuner for my horizontal delta loop (all bands).  I don't include the AT1KM when I am operating with the Hexbeam antenna as that is 1.5:1 or better on all bands.

From what I heard about the future Elecraft tuner, it should be wider then the PW-1 minuscule 3:1.

phil, K7PEH

On Jan 24, 2011, at 7:11 PM, Johnny Siu wrote:

> Hello Phil,
>
> Yes, good exercise.  Except ICPW1, all the prices are WITHOUT antenna tuning unit.
>
> Based on that, the price per watt for SPE is say $3.9 per watt but with built-in ATU.  THP will be sure out of my consideration.
>

> cheers,
>

> Johnny VR2XMC
>

> 寄件人﹕ Phil Hystad <[hidden email]>
> 收件人﹕ Johnny Siu <[hidden email]>
> 副本(CC) Wes Stewart <[hidden email]>; Elecraft <[hidden email]>
> 傳送日期﹕ 2011/1/25 (二) 10:52:46 AM
> 主題: Re: [Elecraft] KPA-500 vs THP
>
> Of course, this little exercise (below) is not exactly comparing apples to apples but it is a rough idea of relative cost per watt:
>
>     THP Amplifiers:      HL-1.2KFX    750 watt      $2600    $3.47 per watt
>                                 HL-1.5KFX    1000 watt      $3500    $3.50 per watt
>                                 HL-2.5KFX    1500 watt      $6000    $4.00 per watt
>                                 HL-550FX      550 watt      $2950    $5.37 per watt
>
>     ICOM Amplifier:    IC-PW1        1000 watt      $4600  (price I paid 4 years ago)  $4.60 per watt
>
>     Elecraft KPA500:    KPA500          500 watt      $2000    $4.00 per watt
>

> The THP prices are from HRO web site, the Icom price is what I paid retail from HRO, and the Elecraft is recently quoted here by Eric (I think).  I know that these are not all exactly the same kind of configuration but it gives
> you an idea where things set.  Elecraft is not the cheapest and it is not the most expensive -- sort of right in
> the middle.
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH
>

> On Jan 24, 2011, at 4:17 PM, Johnny Siu wrote:
>
> > Hello Wes,
> >
> > THP is expensive. SPE Expert 1Ka is selling at US$3,870 here but with built in
> > ATU and more power.  I will wait for KPA500 + KAT500.
> > cheers,
> >

> > Johnny VR2XMC

Re: Re: KPA-500 vs THP

wayne burdick
Administrator
The KAT500 is being designed to match 10:1 at 500 W.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Jan 24, 2011, at 7:19 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> The PW-1 antenna tuner is only 3:1 wide so it is not a full function
> antenna tuner.  Indeed, I use that in concert with a Palstar AT1KM
> antenna tuner for my horizontal delta loop (all bands).  I don't
> include the AT1KM when I am operating with the Hexbeam antenna as
> that is 1.5:1 or better on all bands.
>
> From what I heard about the future Elecraft tuner, it should be
> wider then the PW-1 minuscule 3:1.
>
> phil, K7PEH
>

> On Jan 24, 2011, at 7:11 PM, Johnny Siu wrote:
>
>> Hello Phil,
>>
>> Yes, good exercise.  Except ICPW1, all the prices are WITHOUT
>> antenna tuning unit.
>>
>> Based on that, the price per watt for SPE is say $3.9 per watt but
>> with built-in ATU.  THP will be sure out of my consideration.
>>

>> cheers,
>>

>> Johnny VR2XMC
>>

>> 寄件人﹕ Phil Hystad <[hidden email]>
>> 收件人﹕ Johnny Siu <[hidden email]>
>> 副本(CC) Wes Stewart <[hidden email]>; Elecraft <[hidden email]
>> .net>
>> 傳送日期﹕ 2011/1/25 (二) 10:52:46 AM
>> 主題: Re: [Elecraft] KPA-500 vs THP
>>
>> Of course, this little exercise (below) is not exactly comparing
>> apples to apples but it is a rough idea of relative cost per watt:
>>
>>    THP Amplifiers:      HL-1.2KFX    750 watt      $2600    $3.47
>> per watt
>>                                HL-1.5KFX    1000 watt      $3500
>> $3.50 per watt
>>                                HL-2.5KFX    1500 watt      $6000
>> $4.00 per watt
>>                                HL-550FX      550 watt      $2950
>> $5.37 per watt
>>
>>    ICOM Amplifier:    IC-PW1        1000 watt      $4600  (price I
>> paid 4 years ago)  $4.60 per watt
>>
>>    Elecraft KPA500:    KPA500          500 watt      $2000    $4.00
>> per watt
>>

>> The THP prices are from HRO web site, the Icom price is what I paid
>> retail from HRO, and the Elecraft is recently quoted here by Eric
>> (I think).  I know that these are not all exactly the same kind of
>> configuration but it gives
>> you an idea where things set.  Elecraft is not the cheapest and it
>> is not the most expensive -- sort of right in
>> the middle.
>>
>> 73, phil, K7PEH
>>

>> On Jan 24, 2011, at 4:17 PM, Johnny Siu wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Wes,
>>>
>>> THP is expensive. SPE Expert 1Ka is selling at US$3,870 here but
>>> with built in
>>> ATU and more power.  I will wait for KPA500 + KAT500.
>>> cheers,
>>>

>>> Johnny VR2XMC

Re: KPA-500 vs THP

wayne burdick
Phil Hystad wrote:

> Elecraft is not the cheapest and it is not the most expensive --
> sort of right in the middle.

But you'll get a lot for your $4/watt:

- virtually instant band change via RF sensing (or remote control, or
   per-band front panel switches)

- one of the most efficient broadband solid state amplifiers available,
   including in terms of RF output watts per AC line input watts

- extremely quiet operation (fans will be off most of the time
   during normal operation, but are capable of tremendous cooling power
   when you need it)

- silent, diode-switched QSK CW beyond 80WPM -- a great match for
   the K3's "QRQ" mode

- no tendency to fault off line when overstressed; the amp will drop a
   couple of dB when faced with potentially dangerous operating
conditions,
   but will keep going. If the fault clears, it will automatically go
   back to full power (the amp will of course protect itself from damage
   from critical faults).

- comprehensive monitoring of all input and output conditions

Last but not least, it'll look *great* sitting next to your K3 and P3 :)

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Re: KPA-500 vs THP

Byron N6NUL
I think Elecraft under-sells the "system" notion of their products.
Certainly, the K3, P3, KPA500, and KAT500 will work fine as
stand-alone products, but where I suspect they all will really shine
is as a modular, but tightly integrated, system.

The K3 product line looks like it will soon allow for a smooth, user
selectable, upgrade path from a competitively priced entry model K3/10
to a seriously tricked out station with all the bells and whistles
when all the parts are from the "K3 system".  The expedition
friendliness of all the components is an added bonus.

To me, as a systems engineer myself, I consider this a competitive
advantage.  It both needs to be advertised more, and maintained as a
focus of future development.

73, Byron N6NUL

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Phil Hystad wrote:
>
> But you'll get a lot for your $4/watt:

> Last but not least, it'll look *great* sitting next to your K3 and P3 :)

Re: KPA-500 vs THP

Doug Person
This will be an unbeatable combination.  Nothing else on the market will
do so much for such a reasonable price with an option to do some of the
assembly - or not.  Elecraft has challenged the big three to the point
of forcing changes in their marketing strategies and product lines.
Even TenTec had to do something.

With year after year of more of the same from the same old, same old,
Elecraft has shaken everything up with outstanding performance, feature
richness and moderate and reasonable prices.

And for certain Wayne and Eric's skills have not peaked.  There are
still many more years for growth and innovation. I still think the K4 is
possible.  Perhaps years from now, but possible. And, hopefully, a K1.5
- a 2 to 4 band K1-sized sideband, cw and digital modes transceiver with
10 watts out (OK, I can live with 5).

73, Doug -- K0DXV

On 1/24/2011 10:20 PM, Byron Servies wrote:

> I think Elecraft under-sells the "system" notion of their products.
> Certainly, the K3, P3, KPA500, and KAT500 will work fine as
> stand-alone products, but where I suspect they all will really shine
> is as a modular, but tightly integrated, system.
>
> The K3 product line looks like it will soon allow for a smooth, user
> selectable, upgrade path from a competitively priced entry model K3/10
> to a seriously tricked out station with all the bells and whistles
> when all the parts are from the "K3 system".  The expedition
> friendliness of all the components is an added bonus.
>
> To me, as a systems engineer myself, I consider this a competitive
> advantage.  It both needs to be advertised more, and maintained as a
> focus of future development.
>
> 73, Byron N6NUL
>
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Wayne Burdick<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Phil Hystad wrote:
>>
>> But you'll get a lot for your $4/watt:
>> Last but not least, it'll look *great* sitting next to your K3 and P3 :)

Re: KPA-500 vs THP

k6osx
Agreed, I'm a relatively new HAM and really like the integrated approach to the modular components of the Elecraft "system". Currently have a moderately configured K3 & P3... saving up for the new amp and tuner.  Really like being able to add high quality component, as needed, to my k3 system that make the "old timers" drool with envy. :)

Solus Veritas,
Darin

Sent from mobile phone.