N fittings

Steve Jackson-5
Rolf, oh6kxl, wrote:

"I noted Elecraft is using SO-239 connectors is 100W
option. All my cables are supplied with
N-male-connectors. Could it be safe to replace
those SO-239 connectors with N-female chassis mount
ones?"

Yes.  I also run (nearly) 100% N connectors at my
station.  On my KPA100 I simply replaced the supplied
SO-239 output connectors with N female connectors.
They are the same dimensions, mounting holes, etc.

Re: N fittings

Bill Coleman-2

On Feb 14, 2005, at 8:09 AM, Steve Jackson wrote:

> Yes.  I also run (nearly) 100% N connectors at my
> station.  On my KPA100 I simply replaced the supplied
> SO-239 output connectors with N female connectors.
> They are the same dimensions, mounting holes, etc.

SO-239/PL-259 connectors sure get a bum rap. They have negligible loss
up to at least 150 MHz, and are relatively low-loss even to 500 MHz.

N connectors, while constant impedance, have their own problems.
Biggest of which is the disconnection of the center conductor when the
coaxial cable becomes very cold and shrinks.

For the frequency range of the K2/100, there's no reason to move to N
connectors, unless you want to spend money.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [hidden email]
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Re: N fittings

Rolf Moberg, OH6KXL
Bill Coleman wrote:

> N connectors, while constant impedance, have their own problems. Biggest
> of which is the disconnection of the center conductor when the coaxial
> cable becomes very cold and shrinks.

In Finland N-connectors were used in mobile network antennas in towers
for many years. Nowadays 7/16-connectors are taking their place.
Temperatures in Finland during winter are sometimes very cold, even
lower than -50C.

When coaxial cable is shrinking, it is coaxial cables fault. Reason is
poor quality cable, not the connector.

> For the frequency range of the K2/100, there's no reason to move to N
> connectors, unless you want to spend money.

I agree what comes to frequency range. I have measured UHF- or
PL259-connector's return loss. They are very good in HF and lower VHF
bands. In 430 MHz I wouldn't recommend PL259, even when using super high
quality like Spinner.

N is ofter water tight. Can you find PL-259 which can be put into water
for 24 hours? And get adequate return loss measurement results afterwards?

Rolf Moberg
oh6kxl

Re: N fittings

Vic K2VCO
Bill Coleman wrote:

> SO-239/PL-259 connectors sure get a bum rap. They have negligible loss
> up to at least 150 MHz, and are relatively low-loss even to 500 MHz.

I would like to add that they are simpler to install than N connectors, and more
forgiving.  No, they aren't waterproof, but neither are poorly installed N's.
They are cheap and rugged.  They are absolutely 'appropriate technology' for HF
at amateur power levels.  The one tool that you need is a largeish soldering
iron with a tip that has adequate thermal mass.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: N fittings

S55M
Hello boys!

PL259 is 4 me just low cost junk...(sorry You HAM's inloved in them! BTW i
hate  BNC also HI HI)
Why?

It is impossible to fit them in a way that they last.(maybe only for
permanent!!!! setup.)

The good quality N connector (the type with ground flange) is much more
reliable and mounted with 25Wtts soldering iron in few minutes . It has
nominal impedance across great bandwidth (it is not important for HF) and
they are made once forever+thay handle more power than PL259 does!
I use them all around from 1.8Mhz up to 3.4Ghz.(upper bands SMA).
Never had a problem with them and ,Yes!!!!, on the V-UHF Japan made
equipment i changed all conn with N-female.
Didnt have time to change the output conn on my KPA100 but i plan
to.(because all my coax stuff is fitted with N conn's).

But that's only my choice.....

Adi-S55M- K2/3204

> > SO-239/PL-259 connectors sure get a bum rap. They have negligible loss
> > up to at least 150 MHz, and are relatively low-loss even to 500 MHz.
>
> I would like to add that they are simpler to install than N connectors,
and more
> forgiving.  No, they aren't waterproof, but neither are poorly installed
N's.
> They are cheap and rugged.  They are absolutely 'appropriate technology'
for HF
> at amateur power levels.  The one tool that you need is a largeish
soldering

> iron with a tip that has adequate thermal mass.

> Vic, K2VCO
> Fresno CA
> http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: N fittings

Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy-2

Rolf Moberg wrote:

> N is ofter water tight. Can you find PL-259 which can be put into water
> for 24 hours? And get adequate return loss measurement results afterwards?

Also Rolf, with unprotected PL-259 connectors water / moisture can get into
the coax's braid and you don't know that you have a problem for some time.
Have used N connectors outside for 40+ years - no problems yet.

73,
Geoff     GM4ESD

Re: N fittings power ????

Bill Steffey NY9H
What is the actual power handling capability of an N  vs the so239./pl269 ???

Is it all related to the heat dissipation of lossy connection ???

I just got a nice  6 x 3 matrix switch....with VERY nice N connectors.
So it's either change the connectors , or change the connectors..
               cables  to N ...or the box to UHF .....

Just grabbed an Andros N connector , a two piece which looks like it would be
better than my recollections of doing a regular 3 piece N....

But what about when the BIG amp fries up....errr fires up
the connectors.....???  UHF  or N ??????????

guess it must be for some future Elecraft product; since the KA100 would be
happy with a bnc!!!  ( that keeps it on topic)

bill

Re: N fittings

Vic K2VCO
Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy wrote:

> Rolf Moberg wrote:
>
>>N is ofter water tight. Can you find PL-259 which can be put into water
>>for 24 hours? And get adequate return loss measurement results afterwards?
>
> Also Rolf, with unprotected PL-259 connectors water / moisture can get into
> the coax's braid and you don't know that you have a problem for some time.
> Have used N connectors outside for 40+ years - no problems yet.

Part of correctly installing a PL259 outdoors is waterproofing it!  I have used
both coax seal (for those who don't know, a gummy rubber-like substance) and
regular electrical tape coated with "liquid electrical tape", with success.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: N fittings power ????

S55M
N conn 300Wtts at 1Ghz
PL259  500Wtts at  300Mhz

But i guess everthing changes with missmatch....:(

S55M-Adi

Vic Rosenthal wrote:

> Part of correctly installing a PL259 outdoors is waterproofing it!  I have
used
> both coax seal (for those who don't know, a gummy rubber-like substance)
and
> regular electrical tape coated with "liquid electrical tape", with
success.

Quite agree Vic, which is why I said "unprotected" !!  There are a lot of
photos around (e.g. ARRL handbooks) that show bare PL-259s. Vaseline under
tape does a good job but not as "clean" as your method.

73,
Geoff.      GM4ESD

Re: N fittings

G3VVT

In a message dated 14/02/05 19:51:09 GMT Standard Time, [hidden email]  writes:

The good  quality N connector (the type with ground flange) is much more
reliable and  mounted with 25Wtts soldering iron in few minutes .

--------------------------------

If you wish to spend the money, PL259 are available in pressure sleeve  type
connectors similar to the better class N and BNC types. Used  these on our
local VHF repeater duplexer which came as original equipment with  SO239/PL259.
In the right place the SO239/PL259 combination is entirely adequate  up to VHF
and most VHF 2 way radios seem to come so equipped. All of the GE  2 way VHF
radios and repeaters we used at work certainly did. In addition a  great deal
of the station accessories on the market come already equipped with  SO239
sockets.

It would be wrong get the idea that just fitting N type connectors  will make
you bullet proof as there are some extremely poor N and BNC connectors  on
the market much as there are of the PL259 type.

The N type connector has a limited moisture barrier, though if the  connector
has to be used outside in a damp climate, an external moisture  barrier tape
over the entire connector assembly would be essential. Even so for  any
connectors that have to be used outdoors, the N type connector would be  desirable.

In the end inside the shack for HF and where moisture should not normally  be
a problem, it is a matter of using whatever connector you a comfortable with
and want to adopt as a standard for your station.

Bob, G3VVT

RE: N fittings

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
Geoff, GM4ESD wrote:

Quite agree Vic, which is why I said "unprotected" !!  There are a lot of
photos around (e.g. ARRL handbooks) that show bare PL-259s. Vaseline under
tape does a good job but not as "clean" as your method.

Quite right! The key to the success of ANY fitting, including the 259
series, is in keeping them *out* of the weather. With the right materials,
that's not hard to do no matter where the connector is used.

When I last worked on large ships (in the early 1990's) the 259 series
connectors were still very common on HF and many VHF antennas. These
connectors were in weather no land-based Ham station ever saw unless it had
survived dozens of hurricanes and wind-driven 75 to 100 mph ice storms. In
addition to wind, water and ice, the systems were sometimes subjected to
corrosive stack gasses. Some antennas are mounted high on the funnel where
they'd get bathed in the stuff coming out of the engines as it swirls around
in the wind. All I can say is that no one in their right mind ever crawled
up there with the engines running without a full breathing system on. When
those gasses mix with the moist sea air, they form acids that can eat holes
in steel.

When the connectors were properly protected, unwrapping them after years in
that environment would involve peeling off layers of salt-encrusted,
weather-beaten coax seal and tape to reveal connectors as pristine as the
day they were installed, even though the reason for taking them apart was
often because the coax cable or the antenna itself had disintegrated in the
hostile environment.

Perhaps some of the other connector types are more forgiving if they find
themselves exposed to the elements, but I'd recommend putting one's effort
into keeping the connectors "out of the weather" by proper protection before
switching to more expensive types.

Electrically, there is no reason that I've ever seen documented to avoid the
259 series for work under 50 MHz. I know some RF engineers who don't
hesitate to use them in critical applications as high as 200 MHz. The losses
in the 259 system are miniscule and the "impedance bump" completely
negligible through the HF spectrum at the very least.

Ron AC7AC

Re: N fittings power ????

Stuart Rohre
A properly terminated UHF or N connector can handle a kilowatt.

The ratings on the connectors vary by what voltage they can withstand.
Also, N connectors have seals for weather proofing.   UHF have to be
weatherproofed externally, but when done so are perfectly reliable for
periods of 15 years or more in the experience of our club station. The cable
started weathering in the sun before the UHF connectors showed any wear
under the tape and sealing we had done.

73,
Stuart
K5KVH

RE: N fittings

Mark - W5EZY
I'm learning some good stuff on this subject.
Question... has anyone ever heard of or used pure
silicone grease in coax connectors to protect against
moisture and corrosion?

=====
73,
Mark Baugh
W5EZY
Grenada MS

Re: N fittings

G3VVT

In a message dated 15/02/05 14:33:15 GMT Standard Time, [hidden email]
writes:

Question... has anyone ever heard of or used pure
silicone grease in  coax connectors to protect against
moisture and  corrosion?

-------------------------------------

Yes, it does work.

However there is a downside in that the silicon grease prevents most kinds
of tape adhesive sticking to the connector for providing external weather
proofing. The only exeption to this may be the greased fabric tape (Denso tape)
used in waterproofing connectors on comms towers though have never tried  with
this. Attempts afterwards to remove excess silicon grease that reaches the
outside of the connector and so allow plastic or self amalgamating rubber tape
to stick were not successful.

Bob, G3VVT wrote:

> Yes, it does work.
>
> However there is a downside in that the silicon grease prevents most kinds
> of tape adhesive sticking to the connector for providing external weather
> proofing. The only exeption to this may be the greased fabric tape (Denso
tape)
> used in waterproofing connectors on comms towers though have never tried
with
> this. Attempts afterwards to remove excess silicon grease that reaches the
> outside of the connector and so allow plastic or self amalgamating rubber
tape
> to stick were not successful.

Hi Bob,

When I have used Vaseline, only because there is usually some in the house,
I coat the mating threads and almost fill up the space between the gasket
and the cable end of the connector (N type) before inserting the nut. Some
goo oozes out which I wipe off. I then cover with Scotch Super 33+ tape,
starting the tape "winding"  4 to 6 inches along the cable from the
connector. Each turn covers about 3/4 of the previous turn, and I keep going
untill 4 to 6 inches along the cable from the other mating connector. I then
reverse direction and keep winding back to the starting point. Pretty crude,
but the "shell" of tape and any goo in the connector area plus the goo in
the connector has so far kept the weather out. I was at one time concerned
that any Vaseline that might "short circuit" or disturb the RF path could
cause problems, but none have been detected, and no sign of gasket problems.

Will be in touch about 4m off-list.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

Re: N fittings

Bob Nielsen
On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 06:32:04AM -0800, Mark Baugh wrote:
> I'm learning some good stuff on this subject.
> Question... has anyone ever heard of or used pure
> silicone grease in coax connectors to protect against
> moisture and corrosion?

I recall that Cushcraft supplies a small amount of what I think is
silicon grease, along with a vinyl(?) cover to provide protection for
the UHF connector.  I don't know how well it works over a long timespan
(their equivalent of an SO-239 is aluminum, which probably needs more
protection than a standard fitting).

Bob N7XY

RE: N fittings

I have not knowingly used silicone grease on coax connectors, but would
discourage liberal use of the stuff.  Silicone grease has its place, but if
I were using it, I would only suggest a little dab on the center conductor.
The stuff migrates everywhere and few things will stick to it, so one would
have trouble putting any additional tape or coax seal over the top of
things.

Waterproofing coax connectors (Was: N Fittings)

Vic K2VCO
I've tried different methods of waterproofing outdoor coax connectors for years,
and here is my experience, for what it's worth:

1) Vinyl electrical tape by itself -- the cheap kinds unwrap themselves.  The
expensive Scotch brand (and possibly others) will do a good job, but you need to
follow their instructions, use the proper amount of tension, and do it carefully
(sometimes hard to do while standing on a ladder, etc.).

2) Vinyl electrical tape plus "Liquid Electrical Tape" -- I have just recently
started using this method, so I don't have long term experience.  But it seems
to work well.  You use any kind of vinyl tape, even the cheap junk, and then
coat it with the liquid tape product.  The liquid contains a solvent that
softens the vinyl tape, and it seems to seal very well.  It is easy to remove by
slitting it with a knife.  So far, no problems.

3) Coax Seal -- Does a good job and is easy to use.  I have had connections
seald for years which have stayed dry.  A little hard to clean up when you take
the connection apart.

4) Heat-shrink tubing -- Don't use it!!!!  Here in Fresno we have lots of
sunlight.  Apparently the shrink tubing is attacked by UV, whereupon it splits,
leaving you with no protection.  I know some commercially made cables come with
it, and maybe there's a kind that's UV proof, but I don't trust it.

5) Cushcraft-type boots -- I had one of these split after a few years in the
sun.  Again, there may be various types, but I don't trust them either.

6) Self-vulcanizing rubber tape -- I've never been able to apply it properly,
but looks like it would work well (although I don't know how it would respond to
UV).  Tends to want to stick to itself, etc.  Everything is harder when you are
on a roof or tower.

Just a word about what happens when you DON'T waterproof your connectors:  water
will corrode the joints in the connector, but worse, it will move into the coax
braid by capillary action.  It will invade the entire piece of coax, corrode the
braid, and render it very, very lossy.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: N fittings

Tom Arntzen
I would stay away of any type of silicone because some silicones if applied
directly on the coax will harden the
outer insulation and cause cracks if they are bent.
Also silicone does not have more than 5 years of ageing before it should be
removed and redone.
The cushcraft boots will eventally go into a chewing gum like state after a
couple of years.
I would recommend a good electrical tape with selfvulcing tape over that
again.

Tom LA1PHA