New signal generator XG3

Bill Hammond
Looks like the Elecraft pipeline of equipment runs over..just noticed, not a kit.
>From www.elecraft.com : "1.5-1400 MHz; 1.5-200 MHz calibrated output level. 12 frequency memories, computer controllable, -107, -73, -33 and 0 dBm output levels. 4.3 x 2.5 x 0.8"

Bill Hammond-AK5X
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
K3 #69
K2/100 #4637
K1 #2033
KX1 #1023
T1

Re: New signal generator XG3

wayne burdick
Administrator
There will be an official announcement about the XG3 shortly. This is
the "T1-sized mystery tests instrument" alluded to awhile back.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Apr 13, 2011, at 12:55 PM, Bill Hammond wrote:

> Looks like the Elecraft pipeline of equipment runs over..just
> noticed, not a kit.
>> From www.elecraft.com : "1.5-1400 MHz; 1.5-200 MHz calibrated
>> output level. 12 frequency memories, computer controllable, -107,
>> -73, -33 and 0 dBm output levels. 4.3 x 2.5 x 0.8"
>

> Bill Hammond-AK5X
> [hidden email]
> [hidden email]
> [hidden email]
> K3 #69
> K2/100 #4637
> K1 #2033
> KX1 #1023
> T1

New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source

wayne burdick
The XG3 is a miniature, programmable, 160-2 meter (and higher)
synthesized RF signal source that puts out highly accurate levels of
-107 dBm (1 uV), -73 dBm (50 uV or S9), -33 dBm (S9+40), and 0 dBm.

You can find the XG3 on our order page:

    http://www.elecraft.com/elecraft_prod_list.htm

There a high-resolution color photo of the unit on the cover of the
XG3 manual:

    http://www.elecraft.com/manual/XG3%20Owner%27s%20Manual%20Rev
%20B.pdf

Built into a T1-sized enclosure, the XG3 runs on an internal 9-V
battery or from an external power supply. Auto power-off is provided
to save battery life, but you can override this when necessary.

The XG3 includes band switches and LED indicators for 160-2 meters.
Harmonics of the output can be used to produce signals on bands well
into the microwave range.

Any of the band switches can be programmed to cover any frequency in
the 1.5 to 200 MHz range (or higher, using harmonics) by connecting a
PC to the unit. Resolution is 1 Hz on all bands. You can set up
frequency sweeps over any range, and even use the XG3 as a VFO or
local oscillator for homebrew projects. The PC application can also be
used to update the unit's firmware.

The primary use of the XG3 is for receiver calibration, sensitivity
testing, and signal tracing. However, since it's very small,
lightweight, and rugged, it's also useful outdoors--for antenna
evaluation, field strength measurements, micro-power beacons, etc.

Please refer to the XG3 manual for additional details.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Re: New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source

wayne burdick
Administrator
The XG3 manual link in my last email may have been broken. Here it is
again:

http://www.elecraft.com/manual/XG3%20Owner%27s%20Manual%20Rev%20B.pdf

Wayne
N6KR

Re: New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source

Jim Sheldon
That thing really looks nice -- I need one and have already downloaded the manual and placed my order.  Perfect piece of test equipment for the shack and portable operations.

Jim - W0EB

Re: New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Also note that the XG3 is computer controllable and that we provide a
control and download utility that will be down-loadable from the web site.

73, Eric

Jim Sheldon wrote:

> That thing really looks nice .... Perfect piece of test equipment
> for the shack and portable operations.

It'll do the job of a 50-pound wide-range signal generator in many
cases. That may be why everyone at Elecraft headquarters keeps
borrowing them from everyone else. Good thing we finally have them in
stock :)

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Re: New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source

David Gilbert

Any chance the XG3 utility could also control the K3?  Set frequency on
both pieces of gear and read K3 S-meter or dbV values, saving them to a
log file ... like a tracking generator.  You'd have to be able to
communicate via two ports, of course.

73,
Dave   AB7E

On 4/13/2011 1:43 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> Jim Sheldon wrote:
>
>> That thing really looks nice .... Perfect piece of test equipment
>> for the shack and portable operations.
> It'll do the job of a 50-pound wide-range signal generator in many
> cases. That may be why everyone at Elecraft headquarters keeps
> borrowing them from everyone else. Good thing we finally have them in
> stock :)
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source

Rick Dettinger-3
0 dbm.  OK, how do I key this QRP transmitter.  Is it type accepted? :-)

73,

Rick Dettinger  K7MW

Rick Dettinger wrote:

> 0 dbm.  OK, how do I key this QRP transmitter....

You could key it from a PC with a couple of RS232 commands, although
the keying won't be shaped unless you do it externally.

As far as I know, no one on our staff has made a QSO on an XG3 yet.
But keep in mind that 0 dBm is only 30 dB below 1 watt. So if your 1-W
QRP rig is S9 at the receiving end, the XG3 would be about S3.

Suitable antenna design is left to the reader.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Re: New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source

ab2tc
Hi,

Very interesting. Perhaps somewhat hastily I placed an order for one as I have been looking for something like this for a while. I couldn't figure out from the manual what's needed to connect to the computer interface. What is the type of connector and does Elecraft sell a special cable for it?

AB2TC - Knut

AC7AC wrote
I had the same reaction, but don't forget the low-pass filter. That "RF" is
a square wave with very rich harmonics!

Ron AC7AC

<snip>

RE: New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source

w7nmd

Got my order in for both the XG3 and the phase lock board for the 2 meter module. One nice mod for the XG3 would be the capability to input a precision 10 megacycle reference in place of the internal oscillator.  I have a new XG2 kit that I will sell for $55.00 shipped anywhere in the CONUS.

Palmer   W7NMD

870-656-6100

.

Re: New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source

n7ws
It says RS-232 on p.8 of the manual.

> Very interesting. Perhaps somewhat hastily I placed an
> order for one as I
> have been looking for something like this for a while. I
> couldn't figure out
> from the manual what's needed to connect to the computer
> interface. What is
> the type of connector and does Elecraft sell a special
> cable for it?
>
> AB2TC - Knut
>

> AC7AC wrote:
> >
> > I had the same reaction, but don't forget the low-pass
> filter. That "RF"
> > is
> > a square wave with very rich harmonics!
> >
> > Ron AC7AC

Re: New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source

Greg - AB7R
It also says the RS232 cable is included.

73
Greg

.

CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source

Doug Person-3
10 megacycle?  Did you just step through a time portal from the 60's?

Doug -- K0DXV

On 4/13/2011 4:33 PM, pcbyrne wrote:
> 10 megacycle

Re: New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source

k6dgw
On 4/13/2011 10:54 PM, pcbyrne wrote:
> One nice mod for the XG3 would be the capability to input a
> precision 10 megacycle reference in place of the internal oscillator.
I think this is a first for the list.  XG3 announced and in less than 24
hours [actually I think less than 12], a mod suggestion. :-D

If I didn't already have a service monitor, I'd have the stock XG3 on order.

73,

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA