News from Visalia!

Edward R Cole
How would $400-450 for a 200-300w linear sound?

I am building up such a linear amp 12w --> 200w on 2-30 MHz.  If it
tests out well, I am thinking their may be a market for this.  I
understand that the FCC has to accept the unit, but I wonder if it is
only available as a kit if that applies?  This is a 28-volt
transistor so a 28 volt 20A supply is needed

Two could be combined for up to 600w but would require 40w drive and
a 40amp PS.

No competition for the new 500w linear from Elecraft

------------------------------

Message: 44
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:50:25 -0500
From: "John Harper" <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] News from Visalia! (:-))
To: "Elecraft" <[hidden email]>

Too rich for my blood for 500w.....

 >A number I heard was $2000.,  but I have to admit, I don't recall who
 >said it.

John Harper AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Re: News from Visalia!

W8JI
I am building up such a linear amp 12w --> 200w on 2-30 MHz.
If it
tests out well, I am thinking their may be a market for
this.  I
understand that the FCC has to accept the unit, but I wonder
if it is
only available as a kit if that applies?  This is a 28-volt
transistor so a 28 volt 20A supply is needed>>>

Kits and parts kits, even when incomplete, have to be
certified. For some reason the FCC has allowed the CCI kits
to slip by but even at Heathkit, once type acceptance came
into play, things had to go past the FCC.

It's a big deal to do a certification filing. Just follow
the rules outlined by the FCC. Gain limit is 15 dB, there
are harmonic and spurious specs, and no amplification or
easy modification for operation between 26-28 MHz.

Re: News from Visalia!

Jim AB3CV
Is there some obvious reason why the FCC chose 15dB as the gain limit?

73

jim ab3cv

Re: News from Visalia!

K5WA
While I don't have any desire for a KPA500, I am EXTREMELY happy that it is
in the pipeline because I can continue holding out hope that Elecraft's R&D
continues on a KPA1500...which is the one I can't wait to buy.  My pair of
Alpha 76CAs are getting long in the tooth and if the KPA500 sells like
hotcakes it will generate enough cash flow to fund completion of the KPA1500
project (I hope).

Bob K5WA

Re: News from Visalia!

MontyS
Jim -

I believe it was to make CB amps illegal and unprofitable.  Also,  Ham amps
were not permitted to operate on 10 meters for the same reason - to make
them unattractive to CB operators.
Monty  K2DLJ

> Is there some obvious reason why the FCC chose 15dB as the gain limit?
>
> 73
>
> jim ab3cv

Re: News from Visalia!

P.B. Christensen
The 15 dB gain limitation made more sense when Part 97.317 included a
companion restriction of requiring not less than 50-watts drive power to
attain the amp's rated output power.  If a Part 95 user had the wherewithal
to somehow modify a recently manufactured QRP-input type amp, 15 dB still
places a 4W Part 95 transceiver at roughly 140-watts AM, 400W SSB (Part
95.410).  Part 97.317(a)(3) already states: "no amplification (0 dB gain)
between 26 MHz and 28 MHz."

I believe the gain restriction could be dispensed with, and the remaining
sections of 97.317 kept intact -- and little detriment would occur.

As to HF amp kits requiring certification, I see no dispositive section in
the CFR that affirmatively compels certification of a kit for use in Part 97
service.  Section 97.315 clearly discusses "manufactured and imported"
amplifiers -- kits are not specifically included in the rule.  However,
there may be relevant case law on the matter that backs up the CFR -- and
the FCC may have invoked internal policy decisions in the past, but someone
could create an argument that if the FCC had wanted to compel certification
of HF amp kits, they could have easily done so and that requirement should
have been implemented as a matter of procedure under the APA.

The argument can be further bolstered under Part 97.315(a)(1) which states
amplifier certification is not required if:  "...the amplifier is
constructed or modified by an amateur radio operator for use at an amateur
station."  Does the term "construction" mean home-brew only with parts
secured on-hand and through multiple vendors?  Or, does construction also
mean "in kit form," where the parts are consolidated for sale?  The question
is then: how does one interpret the exact rule of law?

The "in kit form" term could have been easily defined and included in
Sections 97.315 and 2.815, but it isn't.  If the government intends to
prohibit something that's simple to read and interpret, they need to codify
it in a rule and not leave it to guess work. Other means to get the FCC's
position on the matter can take the form of form of a Declaratory Ruling or
Advisory Opinion.

Paul, W9AC

> Is there some obvious reason why the FCC chose 15dB as the gain limit?
>
> 73
>
> jim ab3cv

Re: News from Visalia!

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Kits for sale by are specifically -included- in the FCC certification
requirements.

73,  Eric   WA6HHQ
----

On 4/19/2010 7:50 AM, Paul Christensen wrote:
> As to HF amp kits requiring certification, I see no dispositive section in
> the CFR that affirmatively compels certification of a kit for use in Part 97
> service.

Re: News from Visalia!

P.B. Christensen
Eric:

The term "kit" has indeed been omitted from the rule.  I had to take another
look at the rule and track the changes of the CFR.  Before mid-2006, Section
2.815(b) had read:

"(b) After April 27, 1978, no person shall manufacture, sell or lease, offer
for sale or lease (including advertising for sale or
lease), or import, ship, or distribute for the purpose of selling or leasing
or offering for sale or lease, any external radio frequency
power amplifier or amplifier *kit* capable of operation on any frequency or
frequencies between 24 and 35 MHz."
Then, in 2006, in addition to other changes affecting the rule, the word
"kit" was omitted and as of today, Section 2.815(b) reads:"(b) No person
shall manufacture, sell or lease, offer for sale or lease
including advertising for sale or lease) or import, ship or distribute for
the  purpose  of selling or leasing or offering for sale or lease, any
external  radio  frequency power amplifier capable of operation on any
frequency or frequencies below 144 MHz unless the amplifier has received a
grant of certification in accordance with subpart J of this part and other
relevant parts of this chapter..."That said, want to start offering the
KPA500 as a kit? <g>.  Paul, W9AC
----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft"
<[hidden email]>
> Kits for sale by are specifically -included- in the FCC certification
> requirements.
>
> 73,  Eric   WA6HHQ
> ----
>

> On 4/19/2010 7:50 AM, Paul Christensen wrote:
>> As to HF amp kits requiring certification, I see no dispositive section
>> in
>> the CFR that affirmatively compels certification of a kit for use in Part
>> 97
>> service.

Re: News from Visalia!

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Yup - I read the same section again this morning. My discussions with
them have indicated that they now consider 'amplifier', as referred to
on their rules, to encompass any amplifier - kit or built.

We'll be offering the KPA-500 both ways. (FCC Certified.)

73, Eric  WA6HHQ
====

On 4/19/2010 11:00 AM, Paul Christensen wrote:

> Eric:
>
> The term "kit" has indeed been omitted from the rule.  I had to take another
> look at the rule and track the changes of the CFR.  Before mid-2006, Section
> 2.815(b) had read:
>
> "(b) After April 27, 1978, no person shall manufacture, sell or lease, offer
> for sale or lease (including advertising for sale or
> lease), or import, ship, or distribute for the purpose of selling or leasing
> or offering for sale or lease, any external radio frequency
> power amplifier or amplifier *kit* capable of operation on any frequency or
> frequencies between 24 and 35 MHz."
> Then, in 2006, in addition to other changes affecting the rule, the word
> "kit" was omitted and as of today, Section 2.815(b) reads:"(b) No person
> shall manufacture, sell or lease, offer for sale or lease
> including advertising for sale or lease) or import, ship or distribute for
> the  purpose  of selling or leasing or offering for sale or lease, any
> external  radio  frequency power amplifier capable of operation on any
> frequency or frequencies below 144 MHz unless the amplifier has received a
> grant of certification in accordance with subpart J of this part and other
> relevant parts of this chapter..."That said, want to start offering the
> KPA500 as a kit?<g>.  Paul, W9AC
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft"
> <[hidden email]>

Re: News from Visalia!