Off list responses

Locked 22 messages Options

Off list responses

Bill Clarke
Yesterday I posed a question and received eight (8) email responses. I
note that only one response was on the list. Is this the norm? I thought

Bill W2BLC

Re: Off list responses

Arthur Burke
Absolutely! It's selfish to come to *any* forum, ask for help and
specifically request that answers be provided offline. That said, there are
a number of responses I get offline as well, but many of them are either
private, semi-private, or responses from those individuals to whom I had
sent something in a similar manner.

It's only fair to post answers here where *everyone* can see them. I'm not
a shy person (I'm the only one in my family who has any modesty ha ha joke
joke!) and I tend to speak up (even when I shouldn't!), but there are many
who are less voluble than I. They may be too shy to ask the same question
that was asked and they, too, want to know the answer.

My other pet peeve? The guys who want all the previous BS deleted because
they have a 1200 baud modem and it takes too long to get it. Then,
consequently, some kind soul strips the dadgum (insert stronger expletive
here) thing to the point where you have no idea what the original question
was!

Other than that, this is day # (fill in the blank) of awaiting my new KX3.
Been chasing 7O6T in the meantime - fun stuff!

Art - N4PJ

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 7:28 AM, Bill <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yesterday I posed a question and received eight (8) email responses. I
> note that only one response was on the list. Is this the norm? I thought
>
> Bill W2BLC

Re: Off list responses

vk4tux
Note: If you click reply at least with outlook, it will address to the
poster instead of the group address. I have to manually change it to the
group
in the to field.

I can use reply all, and that sends to the poster and the group. It would be
good if the default reply goes to the group, Not sure if that can be
configured?

Adrian ... vk4tux

Absolutely! It's selfish to come to *any* forum, ask for help and
specifically request that answers be provided offline. That said, there are
a number of responses I get offline as well, but many of them are either
private, semi-private, or responses from those individuals to whom I had
sent something in a similar manner.

It's only fair to post answers here where *everyone* can see them. I'm not a
shy person (I'm the only one in my family who has any modesty ha ha joke
joke!) and I tend to speak up (even when I shouldn't!), but there are many
who are less voluble than I. They may be too shy to ask the same question
that was asked and they, too, want to know the answer.

My other pet peeve? The guys who want all the previous BS deleted because
they have a 1200 baud modem and it takes too long to get it. Then,
consequently, some kind soul strips the dadgum (insert stronger expletive
here) thing to the point where you have no idea what the original question
was!

Other than that, this is day # (fill in the blank) of awaiting my new KX3.
Been chasing 7O6T in the meantime - fun stuff!

Art - N4PJ

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 7:28 AM, Bill <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yesterday I posed a question and received eight (8) email responses. I
> note that only one response was on the list. Is this the norm? I
> thought responses should be made on the list for all to learn from.
>
> Bill W2BLC

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: Off list responses

Matthew Pitts

A lot of lists follow the official "rules" for internet email, which say that the listserver shouls never override the "reply to:" header in a received email. A side effect of this ia that you specifically have to include the list of origin in any replies that you want to go to the list.

Matthew Pitts
N8OHU

------------------------------
On Wed, May 2, 2012 8:05 AM EDT Arthur Burke wrote:

>Absolutely! It's selfish to come to *any* forum, ask for help and
>specifically request that answers be provided offline. That said, there are
>a number of responses I get offline as well, but many of them are either
>private, semi-private, or responses from those individuals to whom I had
>sent something in a similar manner.
>
>It's only fair to post answers here where *everyone* can see them. I'm not
>a shy person (I'm the only one in my family who has any modesty ha ha joke
>joke!) and I tend to speak up (even when I shouldn't!), but there are many
>who are less voluble than I. They may be too shy to ask the same question
>that was asked and they, too, want to know the answer.
>
>My other pet peeve? The guys who want all the previous BS deleted because
>they have a 1200 baud modem and it takes too long to get it. Then,
>consequently, some kind soul strips the dadgum (insert stronger expletive
>here) thing to the point where you have no idea what the original question
>was!
>
>Other than that, this is day # (fill in the blank) of awaiting my new KX3.
>Been chasing 7O6T in the meantime - fun stuff!
>
>Art - N4PJ
>

>On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 7:28 AM, Bill <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yesterday I posed a question and received eight (8) email responses. I
>> note that only one response was on the list. Is this the norm? I thought
>>
>> Bill W2BLC
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Off list responses

Elecraft K3
Bill,

My mail browser by default replies to the sender only.  This is the only list I subscribe to that has that default and I always forget that.

73 de Eric KG6MZS

On May 2, 2012, at 4:28 AM, Bill wrote:

> Yesterday I posed a question and received eight (8) email responses. I
> note that only one response was on the list. Is this the norm? I thought
>
> Bill W2BLC

Re: Off list responses

ve3dvy

I agree that it is important to send replies to the list rather than
the OP  I think that there is a misunderstanding by some here as to
how to reply  to a post in the reflector that my lead to many replying
off line unintentionally .

with most email systems just hitting reply will send your answer to
the original poster and not the reflector.   be sure that when you
reply that the reflector address is in the "to:"    I have made that
mistake a  few times.   Some email clients like Thunderbird have a
"reply list" option.   and this works.   also hitting "reply all" and
deleting all but the elecraft@.... address will work too.

In a nutshell Reply to the reflector not the OP unless you are passing
personal info you don't want all to see.   Many of us may at some time
have the same questions or problems  and posting your answers to the
reflector will help many and not just that of the original poster.
and  thats what the reflector is for.

I am also in agreement that one should trim the original text a bit.
but not all as its sometimes helps to have some context to an answer.

David Moes
VE3DVY

Re: Off list responses

alorona
Anyone who has posted here for any length of time knows that the most helpful
and interesting communication always seems to take place off-list in private
replies. The reasons for this are many. Once a satisfactory answer is found it
seems good etiquette to post the resolution on-list.

Al  W6LX

Re: Off list responses

Cady, Fred
Its often because people may just hit reply instead of reply all/
73,
Fred
"The Elecraft K3: Design, Configuration, and Operation"
www.ke7x.com

Yesterday I posed a question and received eight (8) email responses. I
note that only one response was on the list. Is this the norm? I thought

Bill W2BLC

Re: Off list responses

John_N1JM
The thing is, this list is set up so that when hit reply, it replies to the author only. You need to reply to all for it to go to the reflector/list. A lot of people forget that and so many replies go to the author only. Other mailing lists are the other way around. I guess it depends on the preference of the moderator. There are advantages/disadvantages of doing it either way.

73, John N1JM

Re: Off list responses

W2RU - Bud Hippisley
Every mail program I've used on PCs or Macs in the past decade has EASILY provided the user the option of "Reply" and "Reply All".  On my Mac's "Mail" program, they're EQUALLY available and right next to each other, so it is only a matter of YOU DECIDING which one you want. Far, far easier than the amateur radio license exam you had to take at some point.  Perhaps those having trouble accessing the "Reply All" feature on their e-mail programs should consider finding a different program.

 If you change "Reply" on this reflector to mean "Reply All", replying to a single individual becomes a whole lot more difficult — and circumvents the flexibility built into modern e-mail clients.

Changing the meaning of "Reply" to "Reply All" is akin to making the "A/B" button on the K3 do the same thing as the "A->B" button and eliminating the "A/B" function from easy access; pray tell, what is the sense of having TWO buttons that do the SAME thing?

Also, I don't think it's the role of anyone on a reflector to suggest to other participants that it's not "ethical" to respond to the original poster off line.  If, for instance, a poster has offered up a rig or list of equipment for sale, s/he has created a competitive opportunity and I don't believe that my response with an offer to buy any of that equipment is anyone else's business but mine and the seller's.

There are many reasons for choosing to reply only to the original poster; please don't tell me they're not valid for me.   I'd like the opportunity to make my own decisions about that.

Bud, W2RU

On May 2, 2012, at 9:14 AM, Adrian wrote:

> Note: If you click reply at least with outlook, it will address to the
> poster instead of the group address. I have to manually change it to the
> group
> in the to field.
>
> I can use reply all, and that sends to the poster and the group. It would be
> good if the default reply goes to the group, Not sure if that can be
> configured?
>
> Adrian ... vk4tux
>
> -

Re: Off list responses

Mike Reublin
Many e-mail clients have the option of customizing the toolbar(s). Try
right clicking on it and see if you get a menu with more buttons.

73, Mike NF4L

On 5/2/12 9:14 AM, Adrian wrote:

> Note: If you click reply at least with outlook, it will address to the
> poster instead of the group address. I have to manually change it to the
> group
> in the to field.
>
> I can use reply all, and that sends to the poster and the group. It would be
> good if the default reply goes to the group, Not sure if that can be
> configured?
>
> Adrian ... vk4tux

K2GN
Having run lists for a several organization, I found that the default of
"Reply to Sender" works best.
Why? Well, on more than one occasion, someone would "Reply to the group"
with comments directed at only the sender. This often resulted in someone
getting upset, most the originator of the message, but often others who
continue to reply to the group about the person who made the remarks.
So rather than the administrator have to deal with this,
it is the standard that list operations use the "Reply only to sender".

Larry/K2GN - http://k2gn.com

My mail browser by default replies to the sender only.  This is the only
list I subscribe to that has that default and I always forget that.

73 de Eric KG6MZS

On May 2, 2012, at 4:28 AM, Bill wrote:

> Yesterday I posed a question and received eight (8) email responses. I
> note that only one response was on the list. Is this the norm? I
> thought responses should be made on the list for all to learn from.
>
> Bill W2BLC

Re: Off list responses

Mozilla Thunderbird has a "Reply to List" which makes that easy.

On 5/2/2012 9:14 AM, Adrian wrote:

> Note: If you click reply at least with outlook, it will address to the
> poster instead of the group address. I have to manually change it to the
> group
> in the to field.
>
> I can use reply all, and that sends to the poster and the group. It would be
> good if the default reply goes to the group, Not sure if that can be
> configured?

Re: Off list responses

Mike Harris
The legend on that particular button can vary with circumstances and you
might need to select from a drop down list.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

On 03/05/2012 10:23, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Mozilla Thunderbird has a "Reply to List" which makes that easy.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 5/2/2012 9:14 AM, Adrian wrote:
>> Note: If you click reply at least with outlook, it will address to the
>> poster instead of the group address. I have to manually change it to the
>> group
>> in the to field.
>>
>> I can use reply all, and that sends to the poster and the group. It would be
>> good if the default reply goes to the group, Not sure if that can be
>> configured?

Re: Off list responses

Jim Dunstan
At 02:13 PM 5/2/2012 -0700, you wrote:

>Public responses to public questions is just good list etiquette.
>
>73, Ron AC7AC

Hi,

I don't believe it is purposeful ... that is, the personal rather than
public response.  Someone already noted that when they respond from their
Email client it addresses to the individual rather than the public list.  I
subscribe to a number of different lists and the reply from my Email client
(Eudora) always goes to the public list .... except for this one.  I have
to remember to make the effort to substitute the list address instead of
the that of the sender of the original post.  The way my email client is
setup works with all other lists.

No big deal ... just an observation.

Jim, VE3CI

Re: Off list responses

Michael Schulz
There's an easy fix for that :)

Short term: just hit Reply-all which will also put the list address in cc
Long term: change the settings for the Reply-To: field in the mailman
configuration (has to be done by
the list owner) and all replies automatically go to the list.

73 Mike K5TRI

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Jim Dunstan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 02:13 PM 5/2/2012 -0700, you wrote:
> >Public responses to public questions is just good list etiquette.
> >
> >73, Ron AC7AC

Re: Off list responses

Jim Dunstan
At 09:22 AM 5/3/2012 -0500, Michael Schulz wrote:
>There's an easy fix for that :)
>
>Short term: just hit Reply-all which will also put the list address in cc
>Long term: change the settings for the Reply-To: field in the mailman
>configuration (has to be done by
>the list owner) and all replies automatically go to the list.
>
>73 Mike K5TRI

Hi Mike

I just hit Reply-all and you will read this message twice Hi Hi .... once
directly and then on the list ... one of the few times I have used
Reply-all ... I'll have to remember that in the future.

Tnx

  Jim, VE3CI

> > I don't believe it is purposeful ... that is, the personal rather than
> > public response.  Someone already noted that when they respond from their
> > Email client it addresses to the individual rather than the public list.  I
> > subscribe to a number of different lists and the reply from my Email client
> > (Eudora) always goes to the public list .... except for this one.  I have
> > to remember to make the effort to substitute the list address instead of
> > the that of the sender of the original post.  The way my email client is
> > setup works with all other lists.
> >
> > No big deal ... just an observation.
> >
> > Jim, VE3CI

Re: Off list responses

For all the mailman.qth lists I subscribe to Reply goes only to the
sender, Reply all goes to the list and to the sender.

All the Yahoo groups (I hate that arrangement)  Reply goes to the list,
you have to do Reply All and delete the list to send a personal comment.
Furthermore, with the Yahoo groups, there are some "links" at the bottom
of the post that allow you to reply to the sender or to the list.
Unfortunately, those links do not copy any of the prior text, so there
is no "mind-jogger" to tell the public list reader what is being
responded to.  If you do the email client Reply or Reply all and attempt
to trim the prior text, you get a whole screenfull of garbage after what
you tried to trim.

Give me the simple email list like we have here, and lobby to change
Yahoo groups to be more like this list.
Do "Reply All" and delete the individual sender if the reply is public.

On 5/3/2012 10:18 AM, Jim Dunstan wrote:

> At 02:13 PM 5/2/2012 -0700, you wrote:
>> Public responses to public questions is just good list etiquette.
>>
>> 73, Ron AC7AC

Re: Off list responses

Michael Schulz
Nope, that's the beauty of it. You still only get the message once :) As
you can see now.
So Reply-all is a workaround but the Reply-To setting would be the more
elegant and client
independent solution. Thunderbird for example can recognize from the
headers of a list email
that it is a list and offers to reply to either list or sender.

73 Mike K5TRI

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Jim Dunstan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 09:22 AM 5/3/2012 -0500, Michael Schulz wrote:
>
>> There's an easy fix for that :)
>>
>> Short term: just hit Reply-all which will also put the list address in cc
>> Long term: change the settings for the Reply-To: field in the mailman
>> configuration (has to be done by
>> the list owner) and all replies automatically go to the list.
>>
>> 73 Mike K5TRI
>>

> Hi Mike
>
> I just hit Reply-all and you will read this message twice Hi Hi .... once
> directly and then on the list ... one of the few times I have used
> Reply-all ... I'll have to remember that in the future.
>
> Tnx
>
>  Jim, VE3CI
>

>  > I don't believe it is purposeful ... that is, the personal rather than
>> > public response.  Someone already noted that when they respond from
>> their
>> > Email client it addresses to the individual rather than the public
>> list.  I
>> > subscribe to a number of different lists and the reply from my Email
>> client
>> > (Eudora) always goes to the public list .... except for this one.  I
>> have
>> > to remember to make the effort to substitute the list address instead of
>> > the that of the sender of the original post.  The way my email client is
>> > setup works with all other lists.
>> >
>> > No big deal ... just an observation.
>> >
>> > Jim, VE3CI

Re: Off list responses [Thread closed]

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Guys, in the future, please self moderate and resist the urge to comment when a thread has a lot of replies like this.  Let's close it off now in the interest of improving list Signal to Noise Ratio.

73,
Eric
list Moderator
www.elecraft.com