PACTOR iii

ussv dharma
eVERY ASPECT OF HAM radio is not for all hams.....I do not do jf65....However that said, Pactor III is a godsend for us hams that are cruising on our boats....here in the south pacific, I can send/rec email, and get all kinds of weather charts/info to make my sailing safer.  Pactor III may not be for you, but it is for me

If you don't change direction you WILL arrive exactly where you're headed!!

Susan Meckley, Skipper W7KFI-mm  AFA9SM
                         USSV DHARMA

Re: PACTOR iii

k6dgw
If you're the Skipper, do you have a crew, or is all that just an
"additional duty" as we said in the military?

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

On 4/29/2012 4:20 PM, ussv dharma wrote:
> eVERY ASPECT OF HAM radio is not for all hams.....I do not do
> jf65....However that said, Pactor III is a godsend for us hams that
> are cruising on our boats....here in the south pacific, I can
> send/rec email, and get all kinds of weather charts/info to make my
> sailing safer.  Pactor III may not be for you, but it is for me

> Susan Meckley, Skipper W7KFI-mm  AFA9SM USSV DHARMA

Re: PACTOR iii

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> However that said, Pactor III is a godsend for us hams that are
> cruising on our boats....here in the south pacific, I can send/rec
> email, and get all kinds of weather charts/info to make my sailing
> safer. Pactor III may not be for you, but it is for me

And commercial or quasi-commercial traffic should be conducted on
commercial frequencies not on top of amateur users whenever the damn
PACTOR-bots decide to start transmitting.

As one of the twelve who were on the ARRL committee that formulated
the automatic and semi-automatic control concepts nearly 30 years ago,
allowing *any* form of automatic control is one of the biggest mistakes
in nearly 100 years of amateur radio - right up with phone patches in
the amateur service.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 4/29/2012 7:20 PM, ussv dharma wrote:

> eVERY ASPECT OF HAM radio is not for all hams.....I do not do jf65....However that said, Pactor III is a godsend for us hams that are cruising on our boats....here in the south pacific, I can send/rec email, and get all kinds of weather charts/info to make my sailing safer.  Pactor III may not be for you, but it is for me
>

> If you don't change direction you WILL arrive exactly where you're headed!!
>
> Susan Meckley, Skipper W7KFI-mm  AFA9SM
>                           USSV DHARMA

PACTOR iii

Johnny Siu
Pactor 3 is heavily used by the marine operators.  I ran SCS pactor 3 modem with my Icom radios in the past and it was very good.  Regrettably, there is still no specific cable to link up my K3 and the SCS Pactor 3 modem.

To respect the intellectural right of the software developer, I would not expect 'free ware' or 'open source' from SCS.  "ham should be willing to share for free" should not be applied here for pactor 3 which is not quite a ham product.  Of course, I would not have any objection if SCS eventually let us have 'open source'.  There are other digital modes for the ham community to choose and use.  In fact, we can use Pactor 1 which is free but slower.

We share our radio experience and knowledge within the ham community for free.  However, just a statement 'ham should be willing to share for free' is just over simplied the situation.  Elecraft, Icom, Yaesu and Kenwood do not 'open source' their DSP.  This is nothing wrong, they need to recover their R&D and protect their own intellectural right.

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

寄件人︰ ussv dharma <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
傳送日期︰ 2012年04月30日 (週一) 7:20 AM
主題︰ [Elecraft] PACTOR iii

eVERY ASPECT OF HAM radio is not for all hams.....I do not do jf65....However that said, Pactor III is a godsend for us hams that are cruising on our boats....here in the south pacific, I can send/rec email, and get all kinds of weather charts/info to make my sailing safer.  Pactor III may not be for you, but it is for me

If you don't change direction you WILL arrive exactly where you're headed!!

Susan Meckley, Skipper W7KFI-mm  AFA9SM
                         USSV DHARMA

Re: PACTOR iii

Rick Johnson-2
Hear Hear!!!!  Whoopie .... somebody needed to say that!!
Good on ya Joe.....

73,
Rick W3BI

> However that said, Pactor III is a godsend for us hams that are
> cruising on our boats....here in the south pacific, I can send/rec
> email, and get all kinds of weather charts/info to make my sailing
> safer. Pactor III may not be for you, but it is for me

And commercial or quasi-commercial traffic should be conducted on
commercial frequencies not on top of amateur users whenever the damn
PACTOR-bots decide to start transmitting.

As one of the twelve who were on the ARRL committee that formulated
the automatic and semi-automatic control concepts nearly 30 years ago,
allowing *any* form of automatic control is one of the biggest mistakes
in nearly 100 years of amateur radio - right up with phone patches in
the amateur service.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 4/29/2012 7:20 PM, ussv dharma wrote:

> eVERY ASPECT OF HAM radio is not for all hams.....I do not do
> jf65....However that said, Pactor III is a godsend for us hams that are
> cruising on our boats....here in the south pacific, I can send/rec email,
> and get all kinds of weather charts/info to make my sailing safer.  Pactor
> III may not be for you, but it is for me
>

> If you don't change direction you WILL arrive exactly where you're
> headed!!
>
> Susan Meckley, Skipper W7KFI-mm  AFA9SM
>                           USSV DHARMA

Re: PACTOR iii

ussv dharma
Aloha:
  I use pactor III with both my ICOM 718 and my K3....simple hook up on both xcvrs.

________________________________

Re: PACTOR iii

Kevin Stover
Amen!

There are a lot of Yachtsmen/women who got their license for one reason
and one reason alone. To keep from paying for the Sail Mail
subscription. it amounts to $250/yr or about $21/month uses marine
frequencies and marine type accepted equipment and the
ubiquitous/infamous SCS Pactor III modem.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

Re: PACTOR iii

Gary Gregory
*Right on Joe!

There other 'auto-bots' on the amateur bands also and it is most
disconcerting to have a rare contact qso destroyed by the sudden appearance
of an automatic generated digital mode.

Gnashing teeth does not get that rare one in the log...:-(

Gary
*
On 30 April 2012 10:19, Joe Subich, W4TV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > However that said, Pactor III is a godsend for us hams that are
> > cruising on our boats....here in the south pacific, I can send/rec
> > email, and get all kinds of weather charts/info to make my sailing
> > safer. Pactor III may not be for you, but it is for me
>
> And commercial or quasi-commercial traffic should be conducted on
> commercial frequencies not on top of amateur users whenever the damn
> PACTOR-bots decide to start transmitting.
>
> As one of the twelve who were on the ARRL committee that formulated
> the automatic and semi-automatic control concepts nearly 30 years ago,
> allowing *any* form of automatic control is one of the biggest mistakes
> in nearly 100 years of amateur radio - right up with phone patches in
> the amateur service.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 4/29/2012 7:20 PM, ussv dharma wrote:
> > eVERY ASPECT OF HAM radio is not for all hams.....I do not do
> jf65....However that said, Pactor III is a godsend for us hams that are
> cruising on our boats....here in the south pacific, I can send/rec email,
> and get all kinds of weather charts/info to make my sailing safer.  Pactor
> III may not be for you, but it is for me
> >

> > If you don't change direction you WILL arrive exactly where you're
> headed!!
> >
> > Susan Meckley, Skipper W7KFI-mm  AFA9SM
> >                           USSV DHARMA
> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

Re: PACTOR iii

Matthew Pitts

Joe,

It's my understanding that the semiautomatic stations wait until there is a connect request before transmitting, and that Pactor is bugged because it ignores existing activity on the frequency, unlike Winmor which won't transmit unless the frequency is clear.

Matthew Pitts
N8OHU

------------------------------
On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 8:19 PM EDT Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

>> However that said, Pactor III is a godsend for us hams that are
>> cruising on our boats....here in the south pacific, I can send/rec
>> email, and get all kinds of weather charts/info to make my sailing
>> safer. Pactor III may not be for you, but it is for me
>
>And commercial or quasi-commercial traffic should be conducted on
>commercial frequencies not on top of amateur users whenever the damn
>PACTOR-bots decide to start transmitting.
>
>As one of the twelve who were on the ARRL committee that formulated
>the automatic and semi-automatic control concepts nearly 30 years ago,
>allowing *any* form of automatic control is one of the biggest mistakes
>in nearly 100 years of amateur radio - right up with phone patches in
>the amateur service.
>
>73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV
>

>On 4/29/2012 7:20 PM, ussv dharma wrote:
>> eVERY ASPECT OF HAM radio is not for all hams.....I do not do jf65....However that said, Pactor III is a godsend for us hams that are cruising on our boats....here in the south pacific, I can send/rec email, and get all kinds of weather charts/info to make my sailing safer.  Pactor III may not be for you, but it is for me
>>

>> If you don't change direction you WILL arrive exactly where you're headed!!
>>
>> Susan Meckley, Skipper W7KFI-mm  AFA9SM
>>                           USSV DHARMA
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: PACTOR iii

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> There are a lot of Yachtsmen/women who got their license for one
> reason and one reason alone. To keep from paying for the Sail Mail
> subscription. it amounts to $250/yr or about $21/month uses marine
> frequencies and marine type accepted equipment and the
> ubiquitous/infamous SCS Pactor III modem.

Most of those "checkbook amateurs" don't even know what other digital
signals sound like.  They simply turn on the computer with its pre-
programmed list of nodes/frequencies and let the radio hammer away
until it hits on a node that it can trigger ... causing QRM to real
ham users all along the way.  Of course once it finds a PACTOR III
box and opens up the full bandwidth the PACTOR-bot wipes out 5 KHz
in a flash.

The "amateur" founders of SCS are among the lowest form of "life" in
my book - along with other "greats" like Romeo and Don Miller.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 4/29/2012 8:43 PM, Kevin wrote:

> Amen!
>
> There are a lot of Yachtsmen/women who got their license for one reason
> and one reason alone. To keep from paying for the Sail Mail
> subscription. it amounts to $250/yr or about $21/month uses marine
> frequencies and marine type accepted equipment and the
> ubiquitous/infamous SCS Pactor III modem.
>
> On 04/29/2012 07:19 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
>>> However that said, Pactor III is a godsend for us hams that are
>>> cruising on our boats....here in the south pacific, I can send/rec
>>> email, and get all kinds of weather charts/info to make my sailing
>>> safer. Pactor III may not be for you, but it is for me
>> And commercial or quasi-commercial traffic should be conducted on
>> commercial frequencies not on top of amateur users whenever the damn
>> PACTOR-bots decide to start transmitting.
>>
>> As one of the twelve who were on the ARRL committee that formulated
>> the automatic and semi-automatic control concepts nearly 30 years ago,
>> allowing *any* form of automatic control is one of the biggest mistakes
>> in nearly 100 years of amateur radio - right up with phone patches in
>> the amateur service.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>>       ... Joe, W4TV

Re: PACTOR iii

Kevin Stover
That is correct on it's face, however,
The Pactor III protocol allows the robot server to auto-adjust it's
bandwidth/speed.
It may start a session at 500Hz but if the bands in good shape with not
a lot of repeat requests it's widen out to 2.5KHz all by itself. If you
next to one running at 500Hz your more than likely going to get
clobbered when it shifts into overdrive. All without human control.

The SCS modem does have a busy channel detection capability. The Win
Link admins have told their people to shut it off as it disrupts throughput.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

Re: PACTOR iii

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

 > It's my understanding that the semiautomatic stations wait until
 > there is a connect request before transmitting,

Semi-automatic stations will still come up on top of other traffic
if they receive a connect request from a station that can't hear
the other traffic (e.g. in the skip zone or the "opposite direction").

 > unlike Winmor which won't transmit unless the frequency is clear.

I've heard Winmor and its cousins come up on occupied frequencies - or
so close to an occupied frequency it doesn't matter.  Unless/until all
of the automated protocols are required to monitor their maximum band-
width for *any* signal in *any* protocol, automatic and semi-automatic
stations should be banned.

Half of the original committee wanted to require listen before transmit
protocols for all stations - including semi-automatic stations - but
early PACTOR gurus knew that would cripple them and it never happened.
The semi-automatic stations are more of a problem that the automatic
stations ... one can avoid most of the full automatic bots by staying
out of the "automatic" subbands but the semi-bots can pop up anywhere.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 4/29/2012 8:49 PM, Matthew Pitts wrote:

> Joe,
>
> It's my understanding that the semiautomatic stations wait until there is a connect request before transmitting, and that Pactor is bugged because it ignores existing activity on the frequency, unlike Winmor which won't transmit unless the frequency is clear.
>
> Matthew Pitts
> N8OHU
>

> ------------------------------
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 8:19 PM EDT Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
>

>>> However that said, Pactor III is a godsend for us hams that are
>>> cruising on our boats....here in the south pacific, I can send/rec
>>> email, and get all kinds of weather charts/info to make my sailing
>>> safer. Pactor III may not be for you, but it is for me
>>
>> And commercial or quasi-commercial traffic should be conducted on
>> commercial frequencies not on top of amateur users whenever the damn
>> PACTOR-bots decide to start transmitting.
>>
>> As one of the twelve who were on the ARRL committee that formulated
>> the automatic and semi-automatic control concepts nearly 30 years ago,
>> allowing *any* form of automatic control is one of the biggest mistakes
>> in nearly 100 years of amateur radio - right up with phone patches in
>> the amateur service.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>>     ... Joe, W4TV
>>

>> On 4/29/2012 7:20 PM, ussv dharma wrote:
>>> eVERY ASPECT OF HAM radio is not for all hams.....I do not do jf65....However that said, Pactor III is a godsend for us hams that are cruising on our boats....here in the south pacific, I can send/rec email, and get all kinds of weather charts/info to make my sailing safer.  Pactor III may not be for you, but it is for me
>>>

>>> If you don't change direction you WILL arrive exactly where you're headed!!
>>>
>>> Susan Meckley, Skipper W7KFI-mm  AFA9SM
>>>                            USSV DHARMA
>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: PACTOR iii

Tim Herrick
Please tell me, what constitutes a clear frequency? No activity for a
preselected time period? What if a DX operator goes to the John and takes 5
minutes? There are others on the frequency to say the frequency is in use
until one of the digital boxes says, wait it's been 5 seconds, the frequency
must be clear so I can start transmitting and ignore all those telling me it
is in use!

Lord knows how many times I have seen that happen and you are hoping this
pacwhatever will shut up long enough that you can hear the DX. Also, just
because the Pacbox doesn't hear a signal does not mean the frequency is not
in use. The station on the frequency can be weak but some with antennas can
hear them and BAM BRRRRRRRRRAP...BRRRRRRRAAAAPPPP. WTF. There goes that
contact.

I'm sorry. This unattended operation really has to be revoked until it can
be controlled properly.

That's my 2 cents and I am sticking by it.

Tim Herrick, KQ8M
Charter Member North Coast Contesters
[hidden email]

AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org
User Ports: 23, 7373  with local skimmer, 7374 without local skimmer

It's my understanding that the semiautomatic stations wait until there is a
connect request before transmitting, and that Pactor is bugged because it
ignores existing activity on the frequency, unlike Winmor which won't
transmit unless the frequency is clear.

Matthew Pitts
N8OHU

------------------------------
On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 8:19 PM EDT Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

>> However that said, Pactor III is a godsend for us hams that are
>> cruising on our boats....here in the south pacific, I can send/rec
>> email, and get all kinds of weather charts/info to make my sailing
>> safer. Pactor III may not be for you, but it is for me
>
>And commercial or quasi-commercial traffic should be conducted on
>commercial frequencies not on top of amateur users whenever the damn
>PACTOR-bots decide to start transmitting.
>
>As one of the twelve who were on the ARRL committee that formulated
>the automatic and semi-automatic control concepts nearly 30 years ago,
>allowing *any* form of automatic control is one of the biggest mistakes
>in nearly 100 years of amateur radio - right up with phone patches in
>the amateur service.
>
>73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV
>

>On 4/29/2012 7:20 PM, ussv dharma wrote:
>> eVERY ASPECT OF HAM radio is not for all hams.....I do not do
jf65....However that said, Pactor III is a godsend for us hams that are
cruising on our boats....here in the south pacific, I can send/rec email,
and get all kinds of weather charts/info to make my sailing safer.  Pactor
III may not be for you, but it is for me

>> If you don't change direction you WILL arrive exactly where you're
headed!!

>> Susan Meckley, Skipper W7KFI-mm  AFA9SM
>>                           USSV DHARMA
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: PACTOR iii

Chip Stratton
I guess I'm one of the unclean. I licensed 3 1/2 years ago primarily
because I wanted to be able to use my vessel's SSB while  making an
occasional offshore passage. Now I'm a die-hard Elecraft fan with a
KX1, a K2, (jonesing for a KX3) and a slowly increasing code speed.
Except for those occasions when I'm offshore and use Pactor3 to post
position reports, and communicate via email with family and friends, I
am almost exclusively CW these days.

I'm a little puzzled by the irritation with the presence of amateur
Pactor3 transmissions in the Ham bands. The usual Pactor RMS
frequencies seem to be well away from the commonly used CW frequencies
(30m maybe an exception), and when operating CW I've never found them
to be a problem. During contests, when the entire band is filled with
CW ops, I can see how an op looking for a clear freq might run into
QRM from sailors using Pactor modems. That's not to excuse those who
fire up their modems without listening first, but normally there seems
to be plenty of room for everybody.

Chip
AE5KA

Re: PACTOR iii

Barry K3NDM
The problem with PACTOR III is the price of the SCS modem. Recently, I
have been using the WINMOR waveform to do the very same thing with the
WINLINK network.  WINMOR uses your sound card for all of the heavy DSP
lifting. The interface is RMS express which has a feel like Airmail. You
can find everything you wanted to know, but were afraid to ask starting
on the Winlink web site.

73,
Barry
K3NDM

On 4/29/2012 7:20 PM, ussv dharma wrote:

> eVERY ASPECT OF HAM radio is not for all hams.....I do not do jf65....However that said, Pactor III is a godsend for us hams that are cruising on our boats....here in the south pacific, I can send/rec email, and get all kinds of weather charts/info to make my sailing safer.  Pactor III may not be for you, but it is for me
>

> If you don't change direction you WILL arrive exactly where you're headed!!
>
> Susan Meckley, Skipper W7KFI-mm  AFA9SM
>                           USSV DHARMA

Re: PACTOR iii

Scott Manthe-2
Well, some of the irritation is brought about something you mention
casually: Your using Pactor to email family and friends. Unless your
family and friends are all amateurs, communicating with them was at one
time not allowed. Amateurs were not allowed to communicate with
non-amateurs, no matter the mode, excepting for autopatches and phone
patches. None of these operations was automatic, and a licensed amateur
was always in control of the transmission. This is not the case with the
Pactor autobots.

Secondly, and this just my opinion, there is a maritime radio service,
so why don't you sailors use that to email your family and friends and
transmit logs and get weather information? Since vessels have a
dedicated radio service to do everything needed, why pollute the amateur
bands with maritime communications? There is absolutely no need to use
the amateur bands for this, especially the autoforwarding stuff. No way
to justify this, except that sailors have a lot of money and influence
in both Newington and D.C.

73,
Scott, N9AA

On 4/29/12 10:18 PM, Chip Stratton wrote:

> I guess I'm one of the unclean. I licensed 3 1/2 years ago primarily
> because I wanted to be able to use my vessel's SSB while  making an
> occasional offshore passage. Now I'm a die-hard Elecraft fan with a
> KX1, a K2, (jonesing for a KX3) and a slowly increasing code speed.
> Except for those occasions when I'm offshore and use Pactor3 to post
> position reports, and communicate via email with family and friends, I
> am almost exclusively CW these days.
>
> I'm a little puzzled by the irritation with the presence of amateur
> Pactor3 transmissions in the Ham bands. The usual Pactor RMS
> frequencies seem to be well away from the commonly used CW frequencies
> (30m maybe an exception), and when operating CW I've never found them
> to be a problem. During contests, when the entire band is filled with
> CW ops, I can see how an op looking for a clear freq might run into
> QRM from sailors using Pactor modems. That's not to excuse those who
> fire up their modems without listening first, but normally there seems
> to be plenty of room for everybody.
>
> Chip
> AE5KA

Re: PACTOR iii

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

 > I'm a little puzzled by the irritation with the presence of amateur
 > Pactor3 transmissions in the Ham bands. The usual Pactor RMS
 > frequencies seem to be well away from the commonly used CW frequencies
 > (30m maybe an exception), and when operating CW I've never found them
 > to be a problem.

They're not "well away" from other digital activity like traditional
RTTY and some of the newer modes like JT65, etc.  The automatic trash
is a severe problem on 30 and 17 meters on a regular basis as well as
40 and 20 meters during RTTY contests.

The point is that 90% of the "traffic" passed on amateur frequencies
- including "position reports" and e-mail - belongs on commercial
networks not the amateur bands.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 4/29/2012 10:18 PM, Chip Stratton wrote:

> I guess I'm one of the unclean. I licensed 3 1/2 years ago primarily
> because I wanted to be able to use my vessel's SSB while  making an
> occasional offshore passage. Now I'm a die-hard Elecraft fan with a
> KX1, a K2, (jonesing for a KX3) and a slowly increasing code speed.
> Except for those occasions when I'm offshore and use Pactor3 to post
> position reports, and communicate via email with family and friends, I
> am almost exclusively CW these days.
>
> I'm a little puzzled by the irritation with the presence of amateur
> Pactor3 transmissions in the Ham bands. The usual Pactor RMS
> frequencies seem to be well away from the commonly used CW frequencies
> (30m maybe an exception), and when operating CW I've never found them
> to be a problem. During contests, when the entire band is filled with
> CW ops, I can see how an op looking for a clear freq might run into
> QRM from sailors using Pactor modems. That's not to excuse those who
> fire up their modems without listening first, but normally there seems
> to be plenty of room for everybody.
>
> Chip
> AE5KA

Re: PACTOR iii

Gary Ferdinand

I have no dog in this hunt.  However, this seems to me rather far removed
from Elecraft discussions :-)

73

Gary W2CS

Re: PACTOR iii

Mike WA8BXN

My philosophical negative feelings about Pactor III and other proprietary
systems is that they approach the use of codes and ciphers that are
prohibited in the amateur service. Amateur radio is in many ways self
policing. Proprietary coding impedes that.

The other thing in particular about Pactor III is that it is used to some
extent to bypass commercial services available. We of course have to be
careful here. The accepted National Traffic System did/does a somewhat
similar thing. Details are different though in terms of automation and
purpose. NTS is good advertising for amateur radio. It does have negative
impact on some operations though. I do a lot of QRP fox hunting and various
NTS nets have clobbered a fox from time to time.

Perhaps the proprietary systems should be required to make available free
software to receive their transmissions. This might be good advertising for
them to allow us to see what they do and decide if we want to pay the price
to transmit them. It would also allow easier enforcement of existing rules
if necessary or make it clear that they are not being violated.

This thread will probably end soon. That's probably a good thing because the
discussion could go on for ever and is really not on topic.

73 - Mike WA8BXN

Re: PACTOR iii

Dave Johnson
Pactor III is 2.4 KHz bandwidth, not 5 KHz.

However, various other modes plague of the amateur bands, it is not
confined to Pactor III. I See ROS stations sending out beacon/CQ calls
endlessly in the hope of someone reporting their signals with a link
back via the internet. Even the lowest symbol rate of ROS spreads 2
KHz on most frequencies, that is 4 characters per second taking up 2
KHz!

Pactor, like Amtor before it, has it's place as a 2 way communications
tool and can take up little bandwidth (P1 or 2, that is), it even
makes for an excellent means of chatting on the keyboard between two
stations. Unfortunately, most of the activity here in Europe seems to
be stations calling into the Winlink network to send pictures (split
into several parts) into the internet and exchange e-mail of a non ham
radio nature. For some bizarre reason officialdom seem to turn a blind
eye to it... Perhaps more so than packet in the past.

On an Elecraft note, my K3 works well on ROS, Amtor and Pactor (I, II
and III). My KPA500 even switches fast enough to use it on Amtor!

73 Dave