Pileups and the KPA500

k0wa@swbell.net

For all you ops who are DXers....how is the KPA 500 holding up working
DX....like ST0R

Just curious

Lee - K0WA

 In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any
Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common
Sense divine?

Common Sense is the image of the Creator expressing revealed truth in my mind.
-  John W. (Kansas)

Re: Pileups and the KPA500

bobgarceau
I worked them on cw, 17 meters, using a 3 el steppir at 36 feet.
I have the sub recvr, so I was able to track his method of operations and had no
problem working him.

However, on RTTY, that's been another story.
Actually, have no way (or haven't figured out a way) to copy RTTY on the sub.

Actually, since I have the 1 contact that I need, I'm going to wait till next
week and try to work them on some of the other bands.

To add a little bit about the KPA500 at this station.
Anything else that I have heard I have worked since I got the amp.

I'm very happy with the product.

Bob, W1EQ, K3 #4199, KPA500 #165/

________________________________

Re: Pileups and the KPA500

Tony Estep
On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 8:58 AM, Lee Buller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For all you ops who are DXers....how is the KPA 500 holding up working
> DX....like ST0R...

===========
Lee, for chasing DX, the beauty of the KPA500 is instant-on, no-tune, auto
bandswitch. ST0R and VK9HR have appeared on various bands and modes, and the
amp is always ready for anything. Once you can hear the guy, it's just a
matter of putting your call in the right place at the right time -- no
fussing with amp tuning. I've worked each of them several times without ever
spinning the fan in the amp.

Tony KT0NY

Re: Pileups and the KPA500

Ken Chandler
FAB Lee

2 Bands RTTY, 3 bands CW including a 6m QSO with my 3el steppir.
May even shoot for another amp.
I will really know after the weekend how it really holds up during IOTA contest.
At the Mo it's so so so quiet  you don't know it on.
Working during a contest is another matter and I wouldn't expect the amp to remain so, but i'll know by 12 utc Sunday afternoon!!

Ken..G0ORH  K2, KRC2, & K-Line

Sent from my iPhone

On 29 Jul 2011, at 14:58, Lee Buller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For all you ops who are DXers....how is the KPA 500 holding up working
> DX....like ST0R
>
> Just curious
>
> Lee - K0WA
>

> In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
> have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any
> Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common
> Sense divine?
>
> Common Sense is the image of the Creator expressing revealed truth in my mind.
> -  John W. (Kansas)

Re: Pileups and the KPA500

K5SM
Got him on 6 bands (40-12) from NW Texas, all cw using KPA500 #172.
Haven't heard them yet on any other bands.

Bob K5SM

On 7/29/2011 8:58 AM, Lee Buller wrote:

> For all you ops who are DXers....how is the KPA 500 holding up working
> DX....like ST0R
>
> Just curious
>
> Lee - K0WA
>

>   In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
> have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any
> Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common
> Sense divine?
>
> Common Sense is the image of the Creator expressing revealed truth in my mind.
> -  John W. (Kansas)

Re: Pileups and the KPA500

N7US
If you're using MMTTY for RTTY, it's easy to copy RTTY on the subreceiver.
Install a separate copy /instance in a folder separate from the initial
installation.  Run a stereo cable from LINE OUT to the sound card and set
the main receiver's MMTTY to use the left channel and the subreceiver's
MMTTY to use right channel.

The info has been described here and also on the RTTY reflector, I think.

The same approach can be used with hardware TUs or other programs - a
separate decoder for the subreceiver.

If you're using the built-in decoder in the K3 to copy RTTY, I don't think
there's a way to use it with the subreceiver.  That decoder is handy, in my
opinion, but can't match MMTTY or whatever.

I find the P3 helpful for working split, including on RTTY.

I was probably just lucky, but I worked them on 15M RTTY on the first call.

Jim N7US

However, on RTTY, that's been another story.
Actually, have no way (or haven't figured out a way) to copy RTTY on the
sub.

Bob, W1EQ, K3 #4199, KPA500 #165/

Re: Pileups and the KPA500

alsopb
Bob,

One kluge is to set L-MIX-R to Ab Ab and LIN OUT = Phones
You'll get both the main and sub audio on one channel.
It does require riding the main/sub AF gain control at times.

I use this with my DXP38 TNC.

One can usually ID the station being worked by copying the 5nn they send
by ear anyhow.  You don't always have to decode his call.

73 de Brian/K3KO

On 7/29/2011 15:00, Jim McDonald wrote:

> If you're using MMTTY for RTTY, it's easy to copy RTTY on the subreceiver.
> Install a separate copy /instance in a folder separate from the initial
> installation.  Run a stereo cable from LINE OUT to the sound card and set
> the main receiver's MMTTY to use the left channel and the subreceiver's
> MMTTY to use right channel.
>
> The info has been described here and also on the RTTY reflector, I think.
>
> The same approach can be used with hardware TUs or other programs - a
> separate decoder for the subreceiver.
>
> If you're using the built-in decoder in the K3 to copy RTTY, I don't think
> there's a way to use it with the subreceiver.  That decoder is handy, in my
> opinion, but can't match MMTTY or whatever.
>
> I find the P3 helpful for working split, including on RTTY.
>
> I was probably just lucky, but I worked them on 15M RTTY on the first call.
>
> Jim N7US

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: Pileups and the KPA500

Brendan Minish
very nicely..

ST0R on 40,30m,20m,17m and 6m  all cw

On Fri, 2011-07-29 at 06:58 -0700, Lee Buller wrote:

> For all you ops who are DXers....how is the KPA 500 holding up working
> DX....like ST0R
>
> Just curious
>
> Lee - K0WA
>

>  In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
> have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any
> Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common
> Sense divine?
>
> Common Sense is the image of the Creator expressing revealed truth in my mind.
> -  John W. (Kansas)

Brendan EI6IZ

Re: Pileups and the KPA500

Tony Estep

> On Fri, 2011-07-29 at 06:58 -0700, Lee Buller wrote:
> >
> > For all you ops who are DXers....how is the KPA 500 holding up working
> > DX...

===========
BTW, as a side note: VK9HR (Lord Howe Island) is posting QSLs immediately
via LOTW. Work him today, have it confirmed tomorrow. Very nice.

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

Re: Pileups and the KPA500

John Harper AE5X
Ditto for ZD8D.

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

>BTW, as a side note: VK9HR (Lord Howe Island) is posting QSLs immediately
>via LOTW.
>
>Tony KT0NY

Re: Pileups and the KPA500

KD3RF
Worked ST0R on two bands so far, both using the KPA500, SB on 20 mtrs and 15 mtr RTTY.

Ran the amp at reduced input on RTTY for 200 watts out, fan didn't even come on.

Trying for qso on 20 cw is challenging. Generally the amp is running around 50 deg C after extended ops.

Re: Pileups and the KPA500

k6dgw
On 7/30/2011 12:58 PM, KD3RF wrote:
> Worked ST0R on two bands so far, both using the KPA500, SB on 20 mtrs and 15
> mtr RTTY.
>
> Ran the amp at reduced input on RTTY for 200 watts out, fan didn't even come
> on.

Can someone tell me what I could expect from my KPA500 working the ST0R
pileup that I couldn't expect from a Brand X 500W amplifier [or an
unbranded 1,500W amp running at 500W]?  My K3/KPA500 combo offers me
exquisite QSK at any speed, allows me to change bands in an instant, and
requires no tuning, all of which are distinct advantages in operating in
general.  However, none of them seem particularly relevant to the
question of working DX in a very rowdy and sometimes obnoxious pileup.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org

Re: Pileups and the KPA500

w7go

Nope - only that you are working him with an Elecraft product and this is
the Elecraft reflector. ;-) ;-)

73,

Tony W7GO

On 7/30/2011 3:39 PM, Fred Jensen wrote:

> On 7/30/2011 12:58 PM, KD3RF wrote:
>> Worked ST0R on two bands so far, both using the KPA500, SB on 20 mtrs and 15
>> mtr RTTY.
>>
>> Ran the amp at reduced input on RTTY for 200 watts out, fan didn't even come
>> on.
> Can someone tell me what I could expect from my KPA500 working the ST0R
> pileup that I couldn't expect from a Brand X 500W amplifier [or an
> unbranded 1,500W amp running at 500W]?

Re: Pileups and the KPA500

Ken G Kopp

Yes Fred, I wondered the same thing.  X watts is X watts,
regardless of whose product it comes from.  Maybe the
initial poster was assuming there was extra Elecraft MoJo
mixed into the output of the KPA500. (:-)

73! Ken Kopp - K0PP

Re: Pileups and the KPA500

alsopb
A watt is a watt is a watt.

I also don't understand guys spending 2 grand for an amp and not buying
the proper 240 V cable and wall outlets.
It seems the interest more is that the amp matches the K3 aesthetically
than technical/safety considerations.

Good QSK does help on CW in pileups.

The other features you discuss were of a distinct advantage when the new
PJ's came on.  Working all four new ones on 9 bands and all modes was
made a lot easier with no tune and instant band change.   The
probability of such an event occurring again is probably nil.

I did hear a lot of K3's owners calling on the ST0R's frequency.
Perhaps the K3 needs to implement true one button split out of the box.
One shouldn't have to program bunches of function keys with little
sticky tags on the button/panel to get there.  Besides there are not
enough buttons to program.

73 de Brian/K3KO

On 7/30/2011 6:39 PM, Fred Jensen wrote:

> On 7/30/2011 12:58 PM, KD3RF wrote:
>
>> Worked ST0R on two bands so far, both using the KPA500, SB on 20 mtrs and 15
>> mtr RTTY.
>>
>> Ran the amp at reduced input on RTTY for 200 watts out, fan didn't even come
>> on.
>>
> Can someone tell me what I could expect from my KPA500 working the ST0R
> pileup that I couldn't expect from a Brand X 500W amplifier [or an
> unbranded 1,500W amp running at 500W]?  My K3/KPA500 combo offers me
> exquisite QSK at any speed, allows me to change bands in an instant, and
> requires no tuning, all of which are distinct advantages in operating in
> general.  However, none of them seem particularly relevant to the
> question of working DX in a very rowdy and sometimes obnoxious pileup.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW

Re: Pileups and the KPA500

N3XX
Calling on ST0R's freq happened to me a few times.  Every time I would go
and check another band, then come back to the original band where I had been
calling, my split would be gone.  I forgot to reset to split, and then would
be calling on the wrong freq.  Found that I had to go into the CONFIG / SPLT
SV menu and set it to YES, then split would be saved.
Of course now that I have it set this way, I will have to be careful when I
qsy to a new band that split is not set when I don't want to be operating
split.

73,
Tim - N3XX

> I did hear a lot of K3's owners calling on the ST0R's frequency.
> Perhaps the K3 needs to implement true one button split out of the box.
> One shouldn't have to program bunches of function keys with little
> sticky tags on the button/panel to get there.  Besides there are not
> enough buttons to program.
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO

Re: Pileups and the KPA500

Don Wilhelm-4
I don't see the problem, there is a large boxed indicator on the display
telling you the K3 is in SPLIT.  Just take a quick look at the display
when changing bands.

Of course, I know there are some who would like an automated hand to
slap us on the forehead and say in a loud voice "Dummy, you are in
split".  The implementation of that device is left to the user.

On 7/31/2011 7:43 AM, N3XX wrote:

> Calling on ST0R's freq happened to me a few times.  Every time I would go
> and check another band, then come back to the original band where I had been
> calling, my split would be gone.  I forgot to reset to split, and then would
> be calling on the wrong freq.  Found that I had to go into the CONFIG / SPLT
> SV menu and set it to YES, then split would be saved.
> Of course now that I have it set this way, I will have to be careful when I
> qsy to a new band that split is not set when I don't want to be operating
> split.
>
> 73,
> Tim - N3XX

Re: Pileups and the KPA500

N3XX
Not a problem at all.  Just a setting.  Change made, and now when I make a
quick check of another band, then come back to the original band, I am still
split on the original band.

73,
Tim - N3XX

>I don't see the problem, there is a large boxed indicator on the display
>telling you the K3 is in SPLIT.  Just take a quick look at the display when
>changing bands.
>
> Of course, I know there are some who would like an automated hand to slap
> us on the forehead and say in a loud voice "Dummy, you are in split".  The
> implementation of that device is left to the user.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 7/31/2011 7:43 AM, N3XX wrote:
>> Calling on ST0R's freq happened to me a few times.  Every time I would go
>> and check another band, then come back to the original band where I had
>> been
>> calling, my split would be gone.  I forgot to reset to split, and then
>> would
>> be calling on the wrong freq.  Found that I had to go into the CONFIG /
>> SPLT
>> SV menu and set it to YES, then split would be saved.
>> Of course now that I have it set this way, I will have to be careful when
>> qsy to a new band that split is not set when I don't want to be operating
>> split.
>>
>> 73,
>> Tim - N3XX

Re: Pileups and the KPA500

K2GN
Remember the days BEFORE our radios had and degree of AUTOMATION?
Yup, there was a time when we had to do all that ourselves!!
Now that we have SMART radios, we have to deal with a new way of doing
things.
Fortunately, we have CONFIGURATION options which we use to tell the radio
how we want it to act.
It's like a SETUP or OPTIONS operation that we use with software.
It involves reading the manual and making choices.
Today's radios offer us a vast amount of CONTROL over these OPTIONS.
All we have to do is read the manual and learn how to make the radio do what
WE want it to do.

Most of the questions or descriptions of "PROBLEMS", that I see volumes of
email message about,  can be solved using the manual.

Larry/K2GN - http://k2gn.com

Re: Pileups and the KPA500

Don Wilhelm-4
Amen!

If you want a "quick start" guide to options you can set for the radio,
turn the manual to the table of menu settings.  That will give you a
view of the functions that you can configure.  If you do not understand
something about a menu item, you can read the relevant information in
more detail in the body of the manual.