Poor man's beverage and diversity

Locked 37 messages Options

Poor man's beverage and diversity

Vic K2VCO
My 160-meter transmitting antenna is a 'T' -- an 88-foot dipole with open-wire feeders
tied together and fed against some elevated radials running around the eaves of my house.
The vertical part is about 40 feet (12.2m) high.

I have always had the problem that this antenna picks up a huge amount of noise of all
types. But I live on a lot that's about 50' x 120' in the middle of a city and there's
very little room for additional antennas.

A few minutes before the start of the ARRL 160m contest I decided to try something I'd
heard about. I took about 180 feet (55m) of wire and laid it on the ground from my shack,
across the backyard, around the back of my garage and all the way down the edge of the
driveway.

It turned out to be an excellent 160m receiving antenna! I expected that signals would be
very weak, but they were almost as strong as on the transmitting antenna. My antenna
analyzer showed an SWR of about 2.5:1. And, most important, the s/n ratio was much, much
better.

I connected it to the AUX input of the sub-receiver and activated diversity mode with a
(very) long hold of the SUB button. I went to the CONFIG menu and set for SUB AF = BALANCE
so that the sub's AF gain control would act as a balance control between the two receivers.

This works great! I can hear signals get stronger in one ear when they QSB in the other.
And for signals which come in better on one antenna than the other, I just turn the
balance control.

Even if you don't have a subreceiver, you should try the "poor man's beverage" (no, I
don't mean wine in cardboard boxes) receiving antenna. Although the directivity is sort of
arbitrary, the noise is way down compared to a vertical.

The contest will still be going tonight. Try it, there is no antenna that is easier to
install!
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

OT: Poor man's beverage and diversity

Ken Kopp-3
In preparation for a 160M contest one winter I took a 5000' reel
of #22 ga insulated hook-up wire and tied the free end to a fence
post.  I then took off walking across the adjacent gold course and
into the field beyond, the general direction of Japan while unspooling
the wire behind me.

The snow drifts kept the wire from laying completely on the ground,
but at least there were no golf carts to snare it, and little likelihood
of a stray snowmobile. (:-))  It worked well, but I now have a single
turn hardline loop that does the tick just as well.

Oh ... after the contest I reeled up back onto the reel and it's still
in the barn.

73! Ken Kopp - K0PP
     [hidden email]

Re: Poor man's beverage and diversity

David Cutter
Sounds like this one:
http://users.erols.com/k3mt/graswire/graswire.htm

David Cutter wrote:
> Sounds like this one:
> <http://users.erols.com/k3mt/graswire/graswire.htm>

[referring to my original post]
>> A few minutes before the start of the ARRL 160m contest I decided to
>> try something I'd heard about. I took about 180 feet (55m) of wire and
>> laid it on the ground from my shack, across the backyard, around the
>> back of my garage and all the way down the edge of the driveway.

My 180' wire was resonant at about 2.2 mHz, where the SWR was around 1.4:1. Since signals
not down all that much compared to the vertical, I am sure that it would have worked as a
transmitting antenna, and possibly without a tuner if I had lengthened it a bit.

The interesting part is that it doesn't need to be straight to work. This could be very
useful in a real emergency.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: Poor man's beverage and diversity

David Cutter
So, if you made it 19% longer with some zig-zags, it would be resonant in
the middle of the cw band and no need for matching, just connect to coax.  I
imagine it's fairly broad band being so close to the earth.

David
G3UNA

> David Cutter wrote:
>> Sounds like this one:
>> <http://users.erols.com/k3mt/graswire/graswire.htm>
>>

> [referring to my original post]
>>> A few minutes before the start of the ARRL 160m contest I decided to try
>>> something I'd heard about. I took about 180 feet (55m) of wire and laid
>>> it on the ground from my shack, across the backyard, around the back of
>>> my garage and all the way down the edge of the driveway.
>
> My 180' wire was resonant at about 2.2 mHz, where the SWR was around
> 1.4:1. Since signals not down all that much compared to the vertical, I am
> sure that it would have worked as a transmitting antenna, and possibly
> without a tuner if I had lengthened it a bit.
>
> The interesting part is that it doesn't need to be straight to work. This
> could be very useful in a real emergency.
> Vic, K2VCO
> Fresno CA
> http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: Poor man's beverage, Ground Cooperative Antennas

Niel Skousen-2
something that will enhance such an antenna is to raise a portion of
the wire off the ground 2 or 3 feet (use an arrow, staple to a wood
fence, or field expedient bush etc), leaving the last 25% or so laying
on the ground.   the elevated portion will have substantially improved
radiation performance and will have a faster velocity, but the 25%
left on the ground will act as the beverage termination...

If you do this with the long leg of K3MT's Grasswire Windom (eg 70 ft
elevated,  26 ft on ground) you'll get gain in the direction of the
long leg, and a reasonable FB ration too...    The back leg (short
side) can be cut down to about 30 ft with out too much impact on the
swr at 40m and above.

Another couple benefits are:  the vertical lobes which a significant
to an elevated beverage are dramatically smoothed, and the antennas
may be array'ed at relatively close spacing.   Two of the K3MT
Grasswire Windoms can be laid out in parallel about 25 ft apart, and
fed in phase ( simple power splitter and equal length coax is good
enough)  as a two element broad band array.  Such an array will
approach -3 dbi (~20 TOA) at 15m.

Some additional info can be found by googling " Eyring Low Profile
antenna "

Have fun

niel
WA7SSA

On Dec 7, 2008, at 10:23 AM, David Cutter wrote:

> So, if you made it 19% longer with some zig-zags, it would be
> resonant in the middle of the cw band and no need for matching, just
> connect to coax.  I imagine it's fairly broad band being so close to
> the earth.
>
> David
> G3UNA
>

>> David Cutter wrote:
>>> Sounds like this one:
>>> <http://users.erols.com/k3mt/graswire/graswire.htm>
>>>

>> [referring to my original post]
>>
>> My 180' wire was resonant at about 2.2 mHz, where the SWR was
>> around 1.4:1. Since signals not down all that much compared to the
>> vertical, I am sure that it would have worked as a transmitting
>> antenna, and possibly without a tuner if I had lengthened it a bit.
>>
>> The interesting part is that it doesn't need to be straight to
>> work. This could be very useful in a real emergency.
>> --
>> 73,
>> Vic, K2VCO
>> Fresno CA
>> http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Units

Mike Harris-9
G'day,

| My 180' wire was resonant at about 2.2 mHz, where the SWR was around
1.4:1. Since signals

Spectacularly slow velocity of propagation there.

Here we are, custodians of a technical hobby, one that we have to achieve
qualification in for licensing and we can't get our units right.  MHz,
kHz, yes but not mhz, Mhz, mHz (unless you really mean it), or Khz please.
The illiterate computer press is a prime example of splashing meaningless
mhz clock speeds on their front covers.

Apologies if this is correct in the USA, like meter for the SI unit of
length metre.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

Re: Units

Bob-270
Wait just a minute here Mike!!

What happened to MC and KC?

If your on 20 meters and move to avoid the QRM  did you go up 2 Kay
Cee's or  2
Kilo Hertz's .   With split what is it?  Up 20 XXX ?

73,
Bob
K2TK      EX KN2TKR & K2TKR

Mike Harris wrote:

>G'day,
>
>| My 180' wire was resonant at about 2.2 mHz, where the SWR was around
>1.4:1. Since signals
>
>Spectacularly slow velocity of propagation there.
>
>Here we are, custodians of a technical hobby, one that we have to achieve
>qualification in for licensing and we can't get our units right.  MHz,
>kHz, yes but not mhz, Mhz, mHz (unless you really mean it), or Khz please.
>The illiterate computer press is a prime example of splashing meaningless
>mhz clock speeds on their front covers.
>
>Apologies if this is correct in the USA, like meter for the SI unit of
>length metre.
>
>Regards,
>
>Mike VP8NO

Re: Units

N5GE
On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 14:32:28 -0500, you wrote:

>Wait just a minute here Mike!!
>
>What happened to MC and KC?
>
>If your on 20 meters and move to avoid the QRM  did you go up 2 Kay
>Cee's or  2
>Kilo Hertz's .   With split what is it?  Up 20 XXX ?
>
>73,
>Bob
>K2TK      EX KN2TKR & K2TKR

In my opinion with no disrespect, Mr. Hertz was only a man.  KC and MC were
appropriately named as measurements of cycles per second and should not have
been renamed.  Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

[snip]

Tom Childers, N5GE

K3 #806, XV144, XV432
Mini-Modules

http://www.eQSL.cc/Member.cfm?N5GE
http://www.n5ge.com

Few elected officials or
their children have ever
lived  the life  of  the
citizens they represent,
nor did their parents or
grandparents.

How can they know what you
and I want or need?

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: Units

Don Wilhelm-4
Wait just a minute.  Those old units should be "kc" and "Mc" to be correct.
The proper units multiplier designations and their abbreviations are:
kilo = k = 1000
Mega = M = 1,000,000
milli = m = .001

That is why the capitalization/non-capitalization of "M/m" is so important.

Tom wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 14:32:28 -0500, you wrote:
>

>> Wait just a minute here Mike!!
>>
>> What happened to MC and KC?
>>
>> If your on 20 meters and move to avoid the QRM  did you go up 2 Kay
>> Cee's or  2
>> Kilo Hertz's .   With split what is it?  Up 20 XXX ?
>>
>> 73,
>> Bob
>> K2TK      EX KN2TKR & K2TKR
>>

> In my opinion with no disrespect, Mr. Hertz was only a man.  KC and MC were
> appropriately named as measurements of cycles per second and should not have
> been renamed.  Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
>
> [snip]
>
> Tom Childers, N5GE
>
> K3 #806, XV144, XV432
> Mini-Modules
>
> http://www.eQSL.cc/Member.cfm?N5GE
> http://www.n5ge.com
>
> Few elected officials or
> their children have ever
> lived  the life  of  the
> citizens they represent,
> nor did their parents or
> grandparents.
>
> How can they know what you
> and I want or need?

Re: Units

Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
Silly thread -- :-) -- but it is important to keep one's facts
straight. The Cycle per Second was named the Hertz in compliance
with a long tradition in the scientific community of naming
scientific units of measure after the folks who did seminal work
in those areas of science. Mssrs Alessandro Volta (voltage),
Andre-Marie Ampere (current), Georg Ohm (resistance), James Watt
(power), Nicola Tesla (magnetic flux density), Blaise Pascal
(pressure), and Isaac Newton (force), to name just a few I can
think of off the top of my head, were all "just men". :-)
Heinrich Hertz (electromagnetic frequency) takes his rightful
place in this pantheon proudly.

Bill W5WVO

> On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 14:32:28 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >Wait just a minute here Mike!!
> >
> >What happened to MC and KC?
> >
> >If your on 20 meters and move to avoid the QRM  did you go up 2
Kay
> >Cee's or  2
> >Kilo Hertz's .   With split what is it?  Up 20 XXX ?
> >
> >73,
> >Bob
> >K2TK      EX KN2TKR & K2TKR
>
> In my opinion with no disrespect, Mr. Hertz was only a man.  KC
and MC were
> appropriately named as measurements of cycles per second and
should not have

> been renamed.  Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
>
> [snip]
>
> Tom Childers, N5GE
>
> K3 #806, XV144, XV432
> Mini-Modules
>
> http://www.eQSL.cc/Member.cfm?N5GE
> http://www.n5ge.com
>
> Few elected officials or
> their children have ever
> lived  the life  of  the
> citizens they represent,
> nor did their parents or
> grandparents.
>
> How can they know what you
> and I want or need?

Re: Units

Jon Kåre Hellan
Bill W5WVO wrote:

> Silly thread -- :-) -- but it is important to keep one's facts
> straight. The Cycle per Second was named the Hertz in compliance
> with a long tradition in the scientific community of naming
> scientific units of measure after the folks who did seminal work
> in those areas of science. Mssrs Alessandro Volta (voltage),
> Andre-Marie Ampere (current), Georg Ohm (resistance), James Watt
> (power), Nicola Tesla (magnetic flux density), Blaise Pascal
> (pressure), and Isaac Newton (force), to name just a few I can
> think of off the top of my head, were all "just men". :-)
> Heinrich Hertz (electromagnetic frequency) takes his rightful
> place in this pantheon proudly.

But given that the radian already is an SI unit, the Hz is redundant. Radians/s is sufficient.

Jon LA4RT

Re: Units

N5GE
On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 07:58:53 -0500, you wrote:

>Wait just a minute.  Those old units should be "kc" and "Mc" to be correct.
>The proper units multiplier designations and their abbreviations are:
>kilo = k = 1000
>Mega = M = 1,000,000
>milli = m = .001
>
>That is why the capitalization/non-capitalization of "M/m" is so important.
>
>73,
>Don W3FPR
[snip]

I agree 100% Don.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Tom, N5GE

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: Units

w7aqk

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 07:58:53 -0500, you wrote:

>Wait just a minute.  Those old units should be "kc" and "Mc" to be correct.
>The proper units multiplier designations and their abbreviations are:
>kilo = k = 1000
>Mega = M = 1,000,000
>milli = m = .001
>
>That is why the capitalization/non-capitalization of "M/m" is so important.
>
>73,
>Don W3FPR
[snip]

I agree 100% Don.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Tom, N5GE

Re: Units

w7aqk
I think I agree with Don too, but I also learned something.  I had never
thought about the fact that "kc" needed to have a lower case "k".  I'm one
of those old guys who still has trouble speaking in "herz" vs. "cps" unless
I really stop to think about it.  I think I have plenty of company though!

The big "M" vs. small "m" is something I'm very aware of usually, but I'm
not sure what a big "K" indicates vs. a small "k".  I've always just
considered either to mean "kilo".

Interestingly, back when I went to work for the bank I retired from (I went
there from the public accounting field), I was somewhat dismayed to discover
that people were consistently abbreviating "thousands" by using a large "M".
If they wanted to say "millions", they were using the expression "MM".  Now
I know that the financial industry does use the abbreviation "K"  (or
"k")for "thousands", and you see it all the time in reference to bond
issues, etc.  So I put out a memo criticizing the use of "M" for
"thousands", and got a whole bunch of flak back about it.  I simply expanded
my explanation in a follow-up memo, pointing out the basis for using such
abbreviations--K=kilo, M=mega, and m=milli.  I said if anyone could provide
published authority for using "M" for "thousand", I would concede.  No one
responded, and many, but not all, dropped the practice.  I may have erred,
based on Don's memo, by using a large "K" for kilo however.  But it's too
late now--I'm retired!!!!   But I still have no idea how they ever got
started using "M" that way.  It sure didn't make any sense to me.

Dave W7AQK

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 07:58:53 -0500, you wrote:

>Wait just a minute.  Those old units should be "kc" and "Mc" to be correct.
>The proper units multiplier designations and their abbreviations are:
>kilo = k = 1000
>Mega = M = 1,000,000
>milli = m = .001
>
>That is why the capitalization/non-capitalization of "M/m" is so important.
>
>73,
>Don W3FPR
[snip]

I agree 100% Don.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Tom, N5GE

RE: Units

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

RE: Units

David Ricketts
M is the Roman numeral for 1000.

Just a thought.

David (M6SPV)

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Units
> Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 09:03:07 -0700
> CC:
[snip]
> But I still have no idea how they ever got
> started using "M" that way. It sure didn't make any sense to me.

Read amazing stories to your kids on Messenger. Try it Now!

Re: Units

Mike Harris-9
G'day,

| The big "M" vs. small "m" is something I'm very aware of usually, but
I'm
| not sure what a big "K" indicates vs. a small "k".  I've always just
| considered either to mean "kilo".

Most prefixes which make a unit bigger are written in capital letters (M,
G, T etc) and when they make a unit smaller lower case is used (m, n, p
etc).  One of the exceptions is kilo (k) which is used to avoid possible
confusion with kelvin (K).

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

Re: Units

Julian, G4ILO
Dave Yarnes wrote
But I still have no idea how they ever got
started using "M" that way.  It sure didn't make any sense to me.
M = 1000 in Roman numerals. Perhaps that's it?
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

RE: Units

Barry Garratt

Actually a radian is an angular measurement whereas a Hertz (hertz) is a
frequency measurement.

1 radian = 57.2958 degrees

1 hertz = 1 cycle per second

Barry VE3CDX/W7