Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

Re: [Elecraft_K3] Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

Vic K2VCO
I'm beyond stunned. This is even possible?

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: [Elecraft_K3] Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

DaleJ
You should have it on the air in your vehicle.  What freq ?

73
Dale, k9vuj

On 19, May 2011, at 1:51, Wayne Burdick wrote:

>> More $$$ or less $$$ that the regular K3?
>>
> Much less.
>
>> Dual output impedance 5w/10w pa?   I don’t understand.
>>
> The MOSFET 10-W amp stage includes an output transformer with both 1:4
> and 1:1 windings. When using low power, or when running from internal
> batteries, the 1:1 winding is used, which optimizes efficiency at
> about 5 W, greatly reducing transmit current drain. The 1:4 winding is
> used when running higher power (using an external supply).
>
>> One email said 10w/100w models. Is that correct?
>>
> The 1.5-pound radio itself puts out 10 watts+. We'll also be
> describing a new, high-performance 100-watt+ companion amplifier/ATU
> for fixed-station/mobile use. It will work very well with other 5 to
> 10-W radios besides the KX3.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

> <*> Your email settings:
>    Individual Email | Traditional
>
> <*> To change settings online go to:
>    (Yahoo! ID required)
>
> <*> To change settings via email:
>    [hidden email]
>    [hidden email]

>    [hidden email]

>    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy
Direct Sampling ?

Congratulations!!

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

On May 19, 2011 6:43 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> Totally different architecture than the K3, of course.

Re: [Elecraft_K3] Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

juergen piezo
Hi

How good is the IMD performance of the new radio?

It would be ideal for driving a Tetrode in AB1 passive grid with low drive.
The poor IMD performance of many small radios has stopped me from doing this in the past.  The FT817 is an example.

What RF devices will the new radio and the PA use?

A well engineered portable radio is a welcome addition to the market place.

Will there be a kit to convert it to a manpack radio?

The mind boggles at all the possibilities!

73
John

> The MOSFET 10-W amp stage includes an output transformer
> with both 1:4
> and 1:1 windings. When using low power, or when running
> from internal
> batteries, the 1:1 winding is used, which optimizes
> efficiency at
> about 5 W, greatly reducing transmit current drain. The 1:4
> winding is
> used when running higher power (using an external supply).
>
> > One email said 10w/100w models. Is that correct?
> >
> The 1.5-pound radio itself puts out 10 watts+. We'll also
> be
> describing a new, high-performance 100-watt+ companion
> amplifier/ATU
> for fixed-station/mobile use. It will work very well with
> other 5 to
> 10-W radios besides the KX3.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

Alexey Kats
Only 150 mA? What do you use for DSP and micro-controller? Or do you do all
the work in the DSP itself? Also, what is the maximum current consumption
when 1:4 transformer is used? Must be significantly more than for 1:1 ratio.
(I am curious about CW mode - I assume it'd be running as a C or D mode, but
I could be wrong. Will its PA run in AB mode always, or will PA mode vary
depending on modulation?)

--
Alexey Kats (neko)

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Totally different product categories and size.

73,
Eric  (Just waking up at Dayton and about to get super busy. We will be able to post more official info later this weekend or after Dayton.)

www.elecraft.com
_..._

On May 18, 2011, at 11:29 PM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Seems like a fast way to undercut sales of the K3 unless I misunderstand what the KX3 is all about.
>

> On May 18, 2011, at 8:27 PM, Doug Person wrote:
>
>> You're not kidding? For REAL?  When can I buy one??!!!???
>> 72, Doug -- K0DXV
>>
>> On 5/18/2011 9:22 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
>>> KX3: Ultra-compact K3/KX1 hybrid, 160-6 m, 10/100 W, all-mode, 32-bit
>>> DSP/SDR, 1.5 lbs.
>>>
>>> See it at Dayton!
>>>
>>> -- Wayne&  Eric

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

Rick Dettinger-3
At 44.0 cu in, the KX3 is just about mid way between the K1 and KX1.
Nice job.

73,
Rick Dettinger  K7MW

On May 18, 2011, at 8:44 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

>> ....unless I misunderstand what the KX3 is all about.
>
> Ultraportable:
>
>   1.5 lbs
>   1.7x3.5x7.4"
>   KX1 form-factor
>   internal battery pack & charger
>   internal wide-range ATU
>   new adjustable, attached keyer paddle
>
> ...and a K3-like front panel, including the same LCD.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

Randy Moore
Can't wait to see it in Huntsville in August!!

Way to go, Wayne and Eric, and the rest of the team!!!

73,
Randy, KS4L

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

KK7P
The microcontroller is like, but not the same as, the one in the K3. The
DSP is a new, 5th generation device designed for extremely low power
consumption, yet with performance exceeding that of the one in the K3.

And, of course, we played a few tricks :-)

73,

Lyle KK7P

> Only 150 mA? What do you use for DSP and micro-controller? Or do you do all
> the work in the DSP itself?

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

KC2LST
Holy Toledo! Or should I say Holy Dayton! Really, really wish I could be there this year.

And there I was thinking, as Field Day approaches, how there was nothing that would ever pry my IC-703 Plus out of my hands. Once again Elecraft proves "never say never."

Congratulations gents - nice work! You're really going to wow the crowd at the Hamvention with this little beauty.

Tyler KC2LST

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

E72X
Hi,

The K4 was born, I think !!!

________________________________
The microcontroller is like, but not the same as, the one in the K3. The
DSP is a new, 5th generation device designed for extremely low power
consumption, yet with performance exceeding that of the one in the K3.

And, of course, we played a few tricks :-)

73,

Lyle KK7P

> Only 150 mA? What do you use for DSP and micro-controller? Or do you do all
> the work in the DSP itself?

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

Alexander Sack
On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 11:22 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> KX3: Ultra-compact K3/KX1 hybrid, 160-6 m, 10/100 W, all-mode, 32-bit
> DSP/SDR, 1.5 lbs.

SDR?  So does this have out of the box panadapter support?

-aps

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

John Harper AE5X
>100 W+ with new high-performance external amp/ATU that works with most
>5W to 10W rigs.
>
>Wayne

Will this external amp also work with Cletus's CB? He's been wanting a leen-yer...

Seriously, I always thought there was some FCC mandate against producing an HF-capable kit for this power/freq range. Perhaps firmware prevents CB use?

John AE5X
Radio: http://www.ae5x.com/blog
Photography: http://www.timelesspixel.com

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

Torsten Clay
Here's something you might consider (or maybe already have :) )

If the KX3 front panel is almost identical in controls to the K3, maybe it could be paired with a K3 to act as a remote front panel. Similar to the detachable panel functionality available with many current mobile rigs. The advantage being that just the "panel" KX3 could operate as a self-contained QRP radio.

Tor
N4OGW

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

n7ws
Pity, I was hoping for a "K4" with a bigger front panel with better ergonomics, better memory management, a band switch, a nicer display, FET finals and enough weight that it didn't skid off the desk when I pushed a button.

Wes  N7WS

--- On Thu, 5/19/11, Gordan Hribar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The K4 was born, I think !!!

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

Grant Youngman
You must push REALLY hard!!

Have you considered replacing the bottom panel with an inch thick piece of lead :-)

Sent from my iPhone

On May 19, 2011, at 10:33 AM, Wes Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pity, I was hoping for a "K4" with  ... enough weight that it didn't skid off the desk when I pushed a button.

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

Gary Gregory
Wes,

I really cannot believe you actually asked that question....????????

Gary

On 20 May 2011 01:33, Wes Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pity, I was hoping for a "K4" with a bigger front panel with better
> ergonomics, better memory management, a band switch, a nicer display, FET
> finals and enough weight that it didn't skid off the desk when I pushed a
> button.
>
> Wes  N7WS
>
> --- On Thu, 5/19/11, Gordan Hribar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > The K4 was born, I think !!!

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

KK7P
The KX3 receiver includes I/Q outputs for use with a PC soundcard.  This
allows you run various a third-party application software on an attached
PC, such as a spectrum display.

Of course, no PC is required to use the KX3; it is a complete,
self-contained radio.  With appropriate options (battery pack w/charger,
ATU) it becomes a complete, self-contained 160m-6m radio station.

73,

Lyle KK7P
> SDR?  So does this have out of the box panadapter support?

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

David Pratt
In a recent message, Lyle Johnson <[hidden email]> writes
>Of course, no PC is required to use the KX3; it is a complete,
>self-contained radio

But isn't that true of the K3 also, Lyle?

David G4DMP