Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

Re: heavier version of K3 (was: "Something new...")

K6LMP

On May 19, 2011, at 8:38 AM, Grant Youngman wrote:
---------------------

> Have you considered replacing the bottom panel with an inch thick piece of lead :-)

----------------

Lead is for sissies.

If you really want to add weight, get the real stuff: tungsten. Its density is 0.697 pounds per cubic inch, which is about 1.75 times the density of lead, about 2.25 times the density of brass, and about 2.5 times the density of stainless steel.

The bottom plate of the K3 is about 100 square inches, so a tungsten bottom plate of would weigh as follows for various thicknesses:
0.040 thickness  2.8 lbs
0.050 thickness   3.5 lbs
0.070 thickness:  5 lbs.
0.100 thickness:  10 lbs.

One source of tungsten plate is a seller on eBay, who offers 6 x 6 x .040 pure tungsten plate for $145 each.  Those plates weigh almost exactly one pound each; they could easily be epoxied or attached with machine screws to the bottom of the existing bottom plate, and you could add as much weight to your K3 as you wish, with a minimum of hassle and a minimum additional bulk.

For those who seek a heavier tuning knob, tungsten bar stock also offers magnificent opportunities. The OEM knob is 1-7/8" diameter and 1" thick, or about 2.75 cubic inches (about 2.5 cubic inches with the drill-out for the shaft). A knob machined from tungsten bar stock would weigh a bit under 5 pounds, which makes the solid brass alternative (just over 2 lbs.) look puny by comparison.  Of course, there is a cost - a 1" long section of 2" diameter tungsten bar stock would cost about $150, if you can find someone to sell you a cutoff.  And who knows what would be the effect of the stress on the encoder shaft.

73, with tongue somewhat in cheek,

Lew K6LMP

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

Alan Bloom
You pretty much get that with the KX3 and the remote 100W amplifier.
Use the amp in your home or mobile station and just unplug the KX3
(a.k.a. "front panel") when you want to go QRP backpacking.

Alan N1AL

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 07:56 -0700, Torsten Clay wrote:

> Here's something you might consider (or maybe already have :) )
>
> If the KX3 front panel is almost identical in controls to the K3, maybe it
> could be paired with a K3 to act as a remote front panel. Similar to the
> detachable panel functionality available with many current mobile rigs. The
> advantage being that just the "panel" KX3 could operate as a self-contained
> QRP radio.
>
> Tor
> N4OGW

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

Eugene Balinski
So, for mobile operation, will we be able to mount the
transceiver in the front like a control head, while
mounting the 100PA w/ATU in the trunk ?

73
K1NR

On Thu, 19 May 2011 07:25:01 -0400
 Eric Swartz  WA6HHQ - Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Totally different product categories and size.
>
> 73,
> Eric  (Just waking up at Dayton and about to get super
> busy. We will be able to post more official info later
> this weekend or after Dayton.)
>
> www.elecraft.com
> _..._
>

> On May 18, 2011, at 11:29 PM, Phil Hystad
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Seems like a fast way to undercut sales of the K3
> unless I misunderstand what the KX3 is all about.
> >

> > On May 18, 2011, at 8:27 PM, Doug Person wrote:
> >
> >> You're not kidding? For REAL?  When can I buy
> one??!!!???
> >> 72, Doug -- K0DXV

> all-mode, 32-bit

> Please help support this email list:
> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

Alan Bloom
That's the idea.

Alan N1AL

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 13:20 -0400, Eugene Balinski wrote:

> So, for mobile operation, will we be able to mount the
> transceiver in the front like a control head, while
> mounting the 100PA w/ATU in the trunk ?
>
> 73
> K1NR
>

> On Thu, 19 May 2011 07:25:01 -0400
>  Eric Swartz  WA6HHQ - Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Totally different product categories and size.
> >
> > 73,
> > Eric  (Just waking up at Dayton and about to get super
> > busy. We will be able to post more official info later
> > this weekend or after Dayton.)
> >
> > www.elecraft.com
> > _..._
> >

> > On May 18, 2011, at 11:29 PM, Phil Hystad
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Seems like a fast way to undercut sales of the K3
> > unless I misunderstand what the KX3 is all about.

> > one??!!!???

> > all-mode, 32-bit

> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >
> > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> > Please help support this email list:
> > http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

Alexander Sack
On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Alan Bloom <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That's the idea.
>
> Alan N1AL
>
> On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 13:20 -0400, Eugene Balinski wrote:
>> So, for mobile operation, will we be able to mount the
>> transceiver in the front like a control head, while
>> mounting the 100PA w/ATU in the trunk ?

So when will this be on the website with specs/pricing etc.?  I
unfortunately can not make it to Dayton!  :-(

-aps (KC2ZSX)

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

Torsten Clay
No, this would be to enable remote operation (over an internet link). No RF would go between the panel and the K3.

People are buying TS-480's or similar to run over remote links even if they own a K3, because the 480 panel and main box can be easily remoted using ie www.remoterig.com.

Tor
N4OGW

        You pretty much get that with the KX3 and the remote 100W amplifier.

Use the amp in your home or mobile station and just unplug the KX3

(a.k.a. "front panel") when you want to go QRP backpacking.

Alan N1AL

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 07:56 -0700, Torsten Clay wrote:

> Here's something you might consider (or maybe already have :) )

> If the KX3 front panel is almost identical in controls to the K3, maybe it

> could be paired with a K3 to act as a remote front panel. Similar to the

> detachable panel functionality available with many current mobile rigs. The

> advantage being that just the "panel" KX3 could operate as a self-contained

> QRP radio.

> Tor

> N4OGW

                http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/Something-really-new-at-Dayton-from-Elecraft-tp6380523p6382974.html

                To unsubscribe from Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft, click here.

Remote control

Alan Bloom
Yes, I had been thinking about ways to do that.  It wouldn't be hard (I
can say this because I'm not the one who would be doing it!) to have the
radio spit out control commands whenever a button is pushed.  An
external box could package the RS-232 commands and send them over the
Internet to control a remote K3.

The issue is what to do about the audio and CW keying.  On voice modes,
the audio wouldn't necessarily be a problem with a wide-band connection.
They do it all the time with VOIP.  But with CW, even a small fraction
of a second delay would make full break-in impossible.  You wouldn't be
able to listen to your own transmitted signal since the delay would make
it hard to send.  You'd have to generate the sidetone locally and accept
the fact that the RF comes out a little bit later.

It's fun to dream...

Alan N1AL

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 11:06 -0700, Torsten Clay wrote:

> No, this would be to enable remote operation (over an internet link). No RF would go between the panel and the K3.
>
> People are buying TS-480's or similar to run over remote links even if they own a K3, because the 480 panel and main box can be easily remoted using ie www.remoterig.com.
>
> Tor
> N4OGW

Guy, K2AV
>On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Lew Phelps K6LMP <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On May 19, 2011, at 8:38 AM, Grant Youngman wrote:
>> Have you considered replacing the bottom panel with an inch thick piece of lead :-)
> Lead is for sissies.  If you really want to add weight, get the real stuff: tungsten....

All that just to keep something light from walking around on your
desk?  They've had that problem for years on sailboats, yachts, etc.

Get yourself some of this stuff and cut it so a shape that just
contains the feet on the K3 ( or ...).

Google    no slip tape    anti slip tape    no slip fabric   anti slip
fabric   for a ton of different kinds.

There are quite some number of different KINDS of no slip materials.
I use some of the skinny waffle like fabric under my keyboard and
trackball.  They don't weigh anything at all and they never budge.
Ditto the keyer paddle that I really bang on and would slide without
the fabric.

Sliding is a non-issue.  Weight just isn't needed any more.

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

Edward R Cole
"Timing is Everything!" = Dayton Hamvention.

Hope you have plenty of staff for the Elecraft table at Dayton - I
can see crowds!

My first thought was there was the replacement for the FT-817
(sort-of), then I thought: "Flex-1500 has competition"!
But I will not be trading in my K3 for one.

If it included 2m it would be a real contender in the portable
microwave station category, probably.  I wonder if a transverter I/F
is included?  I will read about it when the postings are done.

Have fun at Dayton!

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Re: Remote control

Greg - AB7R
I think the RemoteRig setup has a keyer with its own sidetone so you don't
have a delay to deal with.

Greg

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Alan Bloom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > > advantage being that just the "panel" KX3 could operate as a
> self-contained
> >
> > > QRP radio.
> >

> > > Tor
> >
> > > N4OGW
> >

> > > --

> > > Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >

> > > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> > > Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

> >               If you reply to this email, your message will be added to
> the discussion below:
> >
> http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/Something-really-new-at-Dayton-from-Elecraft-tp6380523p6382974.html
> >

> >               To unsubscribe from Something *really* new at Dayton from
> Elecraft, click here.
> >

> > --
> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

M0XDF
I'm guessing (hoping) there will be an KX144XV module - if so, I won't buy the FT-817, if not I might!
73 de M0XDF, K3 #174, P3 #108, KX3 #???
--
When work is a pleasure, life is a joy! When work is a duty, life is
slavery. -Maxim Gorky, author (1868-1936)

On 19 May 2011, at 19:28, Edward R. Cole wrote:

> "Timing is Everything!" = Dayton Hamvention.
>
> Hope you have plenty of staff for the Elecraft table at Dayton - I
> can see crowds!
>
> My first thought was there was the replacement for the FT-817
> (sort-of), then I thought: "Flex-1500 has competition"!
> But I will not be trading in my K3 for one.
>
> If it included 2m it would be a real contender in the portable
> microwave station category, probably.  I wonder if a transverter I/F
> is included?  I will read about it when the postings are done.

Re: Remote control

Guy, K2AV
>  But with CW, even a small fraction
> of a second delay would make full break-in impossible.  You wouldn't be
> able to listen to your own transmitted signal since the delay would make
> it hard to send.  You'd have to generate the sidetone locally and accept
> the fact that the RF comes out a little bit later.
> Alan N1AL

Hi Alan,

It's not as grim as all that.  For local area connections,
particularly for someone remoting his own equipment, the likelihood is
that both remote and base are using the same ISP.  In those cases
latency can be as little as the TX/RX state change times in the K3
(except for QRQ mode).  Having worked with the delayed mode monitoring
in the FT1000MP's bucket brigade CW delay device, I found I could
tolerate 20 ms lag from keypaddle to audio.  Didn't like it, because
it FELT like there was something wrong with the paddle.

Not impossible, and you guys are the ones to solve it.

73, Guy

Re: [Elecraft_K3] Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
wayne burdick wrote
The 1.5-pound radio itself puts out 10 watts+.
Anything you can do to make 10+ equal 20 for SSB would be very useful.
For higher duty cycle modes it's not an issue, but with SSB everybody (HFPack, US Military) seems to think you need 20W for SSB.

Leigh/WA5ZNU

Re: Remote control

Oliver Dröse
Alan,

no problem at all and no dream anymore, the www.remoterig.com solution has
everything you mention already built-in, from VoIP to an own CW keyer also
taking care of the internet delays. Works like a charme (am using it with a
IC-706 with the control head being 700 km away from the rest of the radio
and everything else) and no problems even with 80 ms latency (read round
trip time). Full control over the radio, exactly the same functionality as
if the control head was directly connected to the radio. Have made almost
1.500 QSOs with that solution during the last 2 years (not that active due
to QRL reasons).

Besides "modes" in their controllers for remoting the IC-706's or TS-480's
heads over the internet they also have profiles for using it with serial
connections for radio control, i.e. CAT. So a "self-made radio head" is no
problem either, have tried that "half-way" myself already with a small PIC
display I built for my FT-817. So just create a front panel, send all button
presses as CAT commands to the remoted radio, connect the microphone, key
and speaker directly to the remoterig controller and et voila, ready's your
remote station with an Elecraft remote head. :-))

You can do that with a CAT software on the PC, too, i.e. Ham Radio Deluxe.
But then you'll loose the "feeling of spinning the dial" that's why I opted
for the remote head solution with the IC-706 although the radio is really
not the best (and no comparison to my K3, of course ;-)).

I think this would be a real seller! Kenwood recently started producing and
selling remote heads for their TS-480's seperately besides "complete"
transceivers as people are starting to share their remote solutions so you
need 3 or 4 heads for 3 or 4 guys to access the same radio (not at once, of
course). ;-))

73, Olli - DH8BQA
Elecraft K3 #4546

> [...]
>>

>> > Tor
>>
>> > N4OGW
>>

>> > --

>> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>

>> > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> > Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> below:
>> http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/Something-really-new-at-Dayton-from-Elecraft-tp6380523p6382974.html
>>

>> To unsubscribe from Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft, click
>> here.
>>

>> --
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

> -----
> eMail ist virenfrei.
> Von AVG uberpruft - www.avg.de
> Version: 10.0.1375 / Virendatenbank: 1509/3645 - Ausgabedatum: 18.05.2011

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

then I better get ready to put my IC-706 up for sale.... :
-)

On Thu, 19 May 2011 10:22:27 -0700
 Alan Bloom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's the idea.
>
> Alan N1AL
>
> On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 13:20 -0400, Eugene Balinski wrote:
> > So, for mobile operation, will we be able to mount the
> > transceiver in the front like a control head, while
> > mounting the 100PA w/ATU in the trunk ?
> >
> > 73
> > K1NR
> >

> > On Thu, 19 May 2011 07:25:01 -0400
> >  Eric Swartz  WA6HHQ - Elecraft <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > > Totally different product categories and size.
> > >
> > > 73,
> > > Eric  (Just waking up at Dayton and about to get
> super
> > > busy. We will be able to post more official info
> later
> > > this weekend or after Dayton.)
> > >
> > > www.elecraft.com
> > > _..._

> > > unless I misunderstand what the KX3 is all about.

> > > one??!!!???

> W,
> > > all-mode, 32-bit

> > > Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> > > Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> > >
> > > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> > > Please help support this email list:
> > > http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >
> > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> > Please help support this email list:
> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: [Elecraft_K3] Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

M0XDF
Hmmm - in Europe, 10w is max for QRP, for CW, it's generally considered to be 5w!
73 de M0XDF, K3 #174, P3 #108, KX3 #???
--
Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-1992)

On 19 May 2011, at 21:32, Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU wrote:

> wayne burdick wrote:
>>
>> The 1.5-pound radio itself puts out 10 watts+.
>
> Anything you can do to make 10+ equal 20 for SSB would be very useful.
> For higher duty cycle modes it's not an issue, but with SSB everybody
> (HFPack, US Military) seems to think you need 20W for SSB.

Re: Remote control

Alan Bloom
Yes, it might be OK to give up full break-in to get the remote control
capability.  A lot of people don't use it anyway.

Right now I am helping out a local non-profit radio station which needs
to temporarily move their studio while the old one is brought up to
code.  I'm looking at the Barix Instreamer and Exstreamer, a pair of
little boxes that allow streaming audio over the web between the studio
and a remote transmitter.  Of course latency is not a concern in a
one-way transmission like that.

Alan N1AL

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 22:37 +0200, Oliver Dröse wrote:

> Alan,
>
> no problem at all and no dream anymore, the www.remoterig.com solution has
> everything you mention already built-in, from VoIP to an own CW keyer also
> taking care of the internet delays. Works like a charme (am using it with a
> IC-706 with the control head being 700 km away from the rest of the radio
> and everything else) and no problems even with 80 ms latency (read round
> trip time). Full control over the radio, exactly the same functionality as
> if the control head was directly connected to the radio. Have made almost
> 1.500 QSOs with that solution during the last 2 years (not that active due
> to QRL reasons).
>
> Besides "modes" in their controllers for remoting the IC-706's or TS-480's
> heads over the internet they also have profiles for using it with serial
> connections for radio control, i.e. CAT. So a "self-made radio head" is no
> problem either, have tried that "half-way" myself already with a small PIC
> display I built for my FT-817. So just create a front panel, send all button
> presses as CAT commands to the remoted radio, connect the microphone, key
> and speaker directly to the remoterig controller and et voila, ready's your
> remote station with an Elecraft remote head. :-))
>
> You can do that with a CAT software on the PC, too, i.e. Ham Radio Deluxe.
> But then you'll loose the "feeling of spinning the dial" that's why I opted
> for the remote head solution with the IC-706 although the radio is really
> not the best (and no comparison to my K3, of course ;-)).
>
> I think this would be a real seller! Kenwood recently started producing and
> selling remote heads for their TS-480's seperately besides "complete"
> transceivers as people are starting to share their remote solutions so you
> need 3 or 4 heads for 3 or 4 guys to access the same radio (not at once, of
> course). ;-))
>
> 73, Olli - DH8BQA
> Elecraft K3 #4546

Julian, G4ILO
M0XDF wrote
I'm guessing (hoping) there will be an KX144XV module - if so, I won't buy the FT-817, if not I might!
73 de M0XDF, K3 #174, P3 #108, KX3 #???
Or so one could sell the FT-817 to help fund the KX3.

A lot of people have been hoping for  "new FT-817" for a long time. Never guessed it would come from Elecraft.

I bet these are going to be backordered for months. At least.
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

Phil Hystad-3
Wes,

Add a KPA500 to your setup.  It gives you all you ask for: easier (aka quicker) band switching, very simple display (interpret as nicer), FET finals, and definitely enough weight.

73, phil, K7PEH

On May 19, 2011, at 8:33 AM, Wes Stewart wrote:

> Pity, I was hoping for a "K4" with a bigger front panel with better ergonomics, better memory management, a band switch, a nicer display, FET finals and enough weight that it didn't skid off the desk when I pushed a button.
>
> Wes  N7WS
>
> --- On Thu, 5/19/11, Gordan Hribar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> The K4 was born, I think !!!

Re: Something *really* new at Dayton from Elecraft

Dick Dickinson
.knowing Eric and Wayne will return from their break at the Dayton Hamfest
well-rested and wondering what to do next, I have a thought.

KX1 - "internal battery pack & charger.  internal wide-range ATU."

I wonder if a 30-45 watts of final power, perhaps sans ATU could be
comfortable in the KX1 in that same area.

These guys never fail to amaze..!

Very 73,

Dick - KA5KKT

> ....unless I misunderstand what the KX3 is all about.

Ultraportable:

   1.5 lbs

   1.7x3.5x7.4"

   KX1 form-factor

   internal battery pack & charger

   internal wide-range ATU

   new adjustable, attached keyer paddle

...and a K3-like front panel, including the same LCD.

73,

Wayne

N6KR