Why did I purchase this antenna for the KX3?

Why did I purchase this antenna for the KX3?

John Stears
Good afternoon, I am a very new (receive only/studying for license)
enthusiast caught up in the excitement here and for the loaded KX3 that I
have on order. Could the group please give me some kind of idea as to
whether this purchase
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht/5046.html was a wise one for
this unit given that I now see it has an antenna already attached to it
(doh!).or is this 'improved'(?) antenna as good as any other (in
2012/regardless of cost) for increasing performance while still keeping the
whole package compact and portable? Thanks for any help as I'll stick with
the stock whip if this product isn't a good match and concentrate my funds
on whatever fixed base setup you guys agree on that is still portable and
most importantly the best on the market as of this year.

Re: Why did I purchase this antenna for the KX3?

Nr4c
You may see an antenna connected to the KX3 in the photos but the radio
does NOT come with an antenna from elecraft.  You must provide that part
of the system.  I didn't look to see what you picked out, but if it
seems like it should work, it probably will.  I'm gonna wait until the
radio arrives and I get to tryit out with antennas that I already have
before i look further.

Good luck,
...bill  nr4c

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 15:01:39 -0500, John Stears wrote:

> Good afternoon, I am a very new (receive only/studying for license)
> enthusiast caught up in the excitement here and for the loaded KX3
> that I
> have on order. Could the group please give me some kind of idea as to
> whether this purchase
> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht/5046.html was a wise
> one for
> this unit given that I now see it has an antenna already attached to
> it
> (doh!).or is this 'improved'(?) antenna as good as any other (in
> 2012/regardless of cost) for increasing performance while still
> keeping the
> whole package compact and portable? Thanks for any help as I'll stick
> with
> the stock whip if this product isn't a good match and concentrate my
> funds
> on whatever fixed base setup you guys agree on that is still portable
> and
> most importantly the best on the market as of this year.

Re: Why did I purchase this antenna for the KX3?

Jay S
The miracle-whip antenna isn't an "improved" antenna over much of anything.
:)  It will work but if you want an antenna that will work much better,
make sure you get the antenna tuner and use the antenna listed in the KXAT1
manual.  26' of wire connected to the center conductor of the antenna jack
with the other end thrown into a tree and 16' of wire connected to the
outer conductor that is laying on the ground.  That antenna will outperform
the Miracle-Whip antenna almost every time - but you will need the antenna
tuner to use it.  I use it quite often and have never had a problem making
a QSO (other than my code speed being too slow).

http://www.elecraft.com/manual/E740054%20KXAT1%20man%20rev%20B.pdf

This antenna is much cheaper than the Miracle-Whip antenna also!

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036275

$7 plus tax at Radio shack for the wire and a BNC connector (which I
couldn't find on a quick search of Radio Shack's site).

73
Jay
W9IUF

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 3:01 PM, John Stears <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Good afternoon, I am a very new (receive only/studying for license)
> enthusiast caught up in the excitement here and for the loaded KX3 that I
> have on order. Could the group please give me some kind of idea as to
> whether this purchase
> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht/5046.html was a wise one
> for
> this unit given that I now see it has an antenna already attached to it
> (doh!).or is this 'improved'(?) antenna as good as any other (in
> 2012/regardless of cost) for increasing performance while still keeping the
> whole package compact and portable? Thanks for any help as I'll stick with
> the stock whip if this product isn't a good match and concentrate my funds
> on whatever fixed base setup you guys agree on that is still portable and
> most importantly the best on the market as of this year.

Re: Why did I purchase this antenna for the KX3?

Joel Curneal-2
It would be a miracle if this antenna worked on HF.
Without a counterpoise, ANY antenna of that size is not much more than
a dummy load when used on any HF band.

Joel  -  N1JEO

On 3/5/12, Jay Sissom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The miracle-whip antenna isn't an "improved" antenna over much of anything.
> :)  It will work but if you want an antenna that will work much better,
> make sure you get the antenna tuner and use the antenna listed in the KXAT1
> manual.  26' of wire connected to the center conductor of the antenna jack
> with the other end thrown into a tree and 16' of wire connected to the
> outer conductor that is laying on the ground.  That antenna will outperform
> the Miracle-Whip antenna almost every time - but you will need the antenna
> tuner to use it.  I use it quite often and have never had a problem making
> a QSO (other than my code speed being too slow).
>
> http://www.elecraft.com/manual/E740054%20KXAT1%20man%20rev%20B.pdf
>
> This antenna is much cheaper than the Miracle-Whip antenna also!
>
> http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036275
>
> $7 plus tax at Radio shack for the wire and a BNC connector (which I
> couldn't find on a quick search of Radio Shack's site).
>
> 73
> Jay
> W9IUF
>
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 3:01 PM, John Stears
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Good afternoon, I am a very new (receive only/studying for license)
>> enthusiast caught up in the excitement here and for the loaded KX3 that I
>> have on order. Could the group please give me some kind of idea as to
>> whether this purchase
>> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht/5046.html was a wise one
>> for
>> this unit given that I now see it has an antenna already attached to it
>> (doh!).or is this 'improved'(?) antenna as good as any other (in
>> 2012/regardless of cost) for increasing performance while still keeping
>> the
>> whole package compact and portable? Thanks for any help as I'll stick with
>> the stock whip if this product isn't a good match and concentrate my funds
>> on whatever fixed base setup you guys agree on that is still portable and
>> most importantly the best on the market as of this year.

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Why did I purchase this antenna for the KX3?

Tony Estep
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Joel Curneal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It would be a miracle if this antenna worked on HF....
=========
Yeah, I would recommend this:

http://www.texasantennas.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65&Itemid=83

They'll never know you're QRP.

Tony KTØNY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

Re: Why did I purchase this antenna for the KX3?

Richard-3
Could use a Pomona 1296 BNC to Binding Post connector.  Allows for
experimenting.

Rich
NU6T

On 3/5/2012 1:08 PM, Jay Sissom wrote:

> The miracle-whip antenna isn't an "improved" antenna over much of anything.
> :)  It will work but if you want an antenna that will work much better,
> make sure you get the antenna tuner and use the antenna listed in the KXAT1
> manual.  26' of wire connected to the center conductor of the antenna jack
> with the other end thrown into a tree and 16' of wire connected to the
> outer conductor that is laying on the ground.  That antenna will outperform
> the Miracle-Whip antenna almost every time - but you will need the antenna
> tuner to use it.  I use it quite often and have never had a problem making
> a QSO (other than my code speed being too slow).
>
> http://www.elecraft.com/manual/E740054%20KXAT1%20man%20rev%20B.pdf
>
> This antenna is much cheaper than the Miracle-Whip antenna also!
>
> http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036275
>
> $7 plus tax at Radio shack for the wire and a BNC connector (which I
> couldn't find on a quick search of Radio Shack's site).
>
> 73
> Jay
> W9IUF
>
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 3:01 PM, John Stears<[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Good afternoon, I am a very new (receive only/studying for license)
>> enthusiast caught up in the excitement here and for the loaded KX3 that I
>> have on order. Could the group please give me some kind of idea as to
>> whether this purchase
>> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht/5046.html was a wise one
>> for
>> this unit given that I now see it has an antenna already attached to it
>> (doh!).or is this 'improved'(?) antenna as good as any other (in
>> 2012/regardless of cost) for increasing performance while still keeping the
>> whole package compact and portable? Thanks for any help as I'll stick with
>> the stock whip if this product isn't a good match and concentrate my funds
>> on whatever fixed base setup you guys agree on that is still portable and
>> most importantly the best on the market as of this year.

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Why did I purchase this antenna for the KX3?

ny4g
Hi

Ron AC7AC has it right.  Portable operation always presents a compromise.  For portable use I have found the Par End Fed half wave multiband 40-20-10 meter dipole to be excellent.  In  November on 10 meters and 4 watts on a KX1 I have been able to make contacts into Eastern Europe.  It is also an excellent NVIS antenna on 40m.  Another antenna that does well in the high bands in terms of versatility is the Buddipole with the long whips 9.5 ft each which makes it easier to tune.  The short verticals even with radials is just a little bit better than a dummy load which radiates.  The closer your antenna is to a full size half wave dipole  the better.  You will also do well to deploy it at half wave elevation if you can unless working NVIS for close work  on the low bands.

Ariel NY4G

> Good afternoon, I am a very new (receive only/studying for license)
> enthusiast caught up in the excitement here and for the loaded KX3 that I
> have on order. Could the group please give me some kind of idea as to
> whether this purchase
> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht/5046.html was a wise one for
> this unit given that I now see it has an antenna already attached to it
> (doh!).or is this 'improved'(?) antenna as good as any other (in
> 2012/regardless of cost) for increasing performance while still keeping the
> whole package compact and portable? Thanks for any help as I'll stick with
> the stock whip if this product isn't a good match and concentrate my funds
> on whatever fixed base setup you guys agree on that is still portable and
> most importantly the best on the market as of this year.

Re: Why did I purchase this antenna for the KX3?

Philip G0ISW
You may be surprised with the results.

My Miracle Whip antenna was used by me extensively on holiday in France with a Yaesu FT-817 and I was working all over Europe on it with 5 Watts on SSB speech.

My best DX with the Miracle whip was indoors from home in the UK on 14 MHz when I worked Venezuela in South America again with 5 Watts SSB speech.

Hope that encourages you to use it.

73 de Philip G0ISW

http://www.qsl.net/g0isw

Re: Why did I purchase this antenna for the KX3?

David Gilbert

I sincerely hope nobody takes you seriously.  It may radiate something,
but the manufacturer's claims for this antenna are simply ridiculous.

Dave   AB7E

Mel

Re: Why did I purchase this antenna for the KX3?

Mel
Didn't I see an allband DC to Daylight portable antenna for sale in the 60-70's.  It did infact radiate, but oh my the eff numbers were that of a dummy load.  You can't fool mother nature and physics.

Mel

I sincerely hope nobody takes you seriously.  It may radiate something,
but the manufacturer's claims for this antenna are simply ridiculous.

Dave   AB7E

On 11/29/2012 3:07 PM, Philip G0ISW wrote:

> You may be surprised with the results.
>
> My Miracle Whip antenna was used by me extensively on holiday in France with
> a Yaesu FT-817 and I was working all over Europe on it with 5 Watts on SSB
> speech.
>
> My best DX with the Miracle whip was indoors from home on 14 MHz when I
> worked Venezuela in South America again with 5 Watts SSB speech.
>
> Hope that encourages you to use it.
>
> 73 de Philip G0ISW
>
> http://www.qsl.net/g0isw

Re: Why did I purchase this antenna for the KX3?

Tim Herrick
Actually there was a loop advertised and reviewed by QST as an antenna that works and had a very good flat SWR. Turns out it had a
50ohm resistor across the connector sealed inside.

73,
Tim Herrick, KQ8M
Charter Member North Coast Contesters
[hidden email]

AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org
User Ports: 23, 7373  with local skimmer, 7374 without local skimmer

Didn't I see an allband DC to Daylight portable antenna for sale in the 60-70's.  It did infact radiate, but oh my the eff numbers
were that of a dummy load.  You can't fool mother nature and physics.

Mel

I sincerely hope nobody takes you seriously.  It may radiate something,
but the manufacturer's claims for this antenna are simply ridiculous.

Dave   AB7E

On 11/29/2012 3:07 PM, Philip G0ISW wrote:

> You may be surprised with the results.
>
> My Miracle Whip antenna was used by me extensively on holiday in France with
> a Yaesu FT-817 and I was working all over Europe on it with 5 Watts on SSB
> speech.
>
> My best DX with the Miracle whip was indoors from home on 14 MHz when I
> worked Venezuela in South America again with 5 Watts SSB speech.
>
> Hope that encourages you to use it.
>
> 73 de Philip G0ISW
>
> http://www.qsl.net/g0isw

Re: Why did I purchase this antenna for the KX3?

Bill K9YEQ
Mel,

My favorite "antenna" is a 10W 50 Ohm resistor.  I can contact my other
stations in the shack :-).  Then I use my full dipoles and loop for all the
other outside the shack contacts.  They work extremely well.  For portable I
do resort to shortened antennas, the best being those non resonant with good
counter-poises and last but my favorites so far:  loaded whips.  I have a
project on the side to develop a portable whip, super lightweight, to mount
directly to the KX3.  Too little time, too much work.

73,
Bill
K9YEQ

I sincerely hope nobody takes you seriously.  It may radiate something, but
the manufacturer's claims for this antenna are simply ridiculous.

Dave   AB7E

On 11/29/2012 3:07 PM, Philip G0ISW wrote:

> You may be surprised with the results.
>
> My Miracle Whip antenna was used by me extensively on holiday in
> France with a Yaesu FT-817 and I was working all over Europe on it
> with 5 Watts on SSB speech.
>
> My best DX with the Miracle whip was indoors from home on 14 MHz when
> I worked Venezuela in South America again with 5 Watts SSB speech.
>
> Hope that encourages you to use it.
>
> 73 de Philip G0ISW
>
> http://www.qsl.net/g0isw

Re: Why did I purchase this antenna for the KX3?

Andrew Moore-3
Good for you Philip - and I hope what they take away from this is that you
can gain loads of enjoyment from seemingly minimalist setups.

That's the thrill of QRP: Doing more with less, and sometimes intentionally
putting limits on the gear to see just what you can do with almost nothing.
For many, it amplifies the fun factor.

No disrespect to QRO and bigger/better antennas... they're great too.

73,
--Andrew, NV1B
maineware.net
..

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 5:25 PM, David Gilbert <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I sincerely hope nobody takes you seriously.  It may radiate something,
> but the manufacturer's claims for this antenna are simply ridiculous.
>
> Dave   AB7E
>

> On 11/29/2012 3:07 PM, Philip G0ISW wrote:
>
>> You may be surprised with the results.
>>
>> My Miracle Whip antenna was used by me extensively on holiday in France
>> with
>> a Yaesu FT-817 and I was working all over Europe on it with 5 Watts on SSB
>> speech.
>>
>> My best DX with the Miracle whip was indoors from home on 14 MHz when I
>> worked Venezuela in South America again with 5 Watts SSB speech.
>>
>> Hope that encourages you to use it.
>>
>> 73 de Philip G0ISW
>>
>> http://www.qsl.net/g0isw

Re: Why did I purchase this antenna for the KX3?

David Gilbert

I personally would not call paying $130 for a base loaded five foot whip
without a counterpoise to be a "minimalist" approach, but to each his
own.  If you want to "intentionally put limits on the gear" it would be
far cheaper (as well as more effective) to hang simply an appropriate
length of #24 wire on the wall with masking tape.

And I still say that the manufacturer's claims are ridiculous ... read
them yourself if you don't believe me.

Dave   AB7E

On 11/29/2012 5:36 PM, Andrew Moore wrote:

> Good for you Philip - and I hope what they take away from this is that you
> can gain loads of enjoyment from seemingly minimalist setups.
>
> That's the thrill of QRP: Doing more with less, and sometimes intentionally
> putting limits on the gear to see just what you can do with almost nothing.
> For many, it amplifies the fun factor.
>
> No disrespect to QRO and bigger/better antennas... they're great too.
>
> 73,
> --Andrew, NV1B
> maineware.net
> ..
>
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 5:25 PM, David Gilbert <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I sincerely hope nobody takes you seriously.  It may radiate something,
>> but the manufacturer's claims for this antenna are simply ridiculous.
>>
>> Dave   AB7E
>>

>> On 11/29/2012 3:07 PM, Philip G0ISW wrote:
>>
>>> You may be surprised with the results.
>>>
>>> My Miracle Whip antenna was used by me extensively on holiday in France
>>> with
>>> a Yaesu FT-817 and I was working all over Europe on it with 5 Watts on SSB
>>> speech.
>>>
>>> My best DX with the Miracle whip was indoors from home on 14 MHz when I
>>> worked Venezuela in South America again with 5 Watts SSB speech.
>>>
>>> Hope that encourages you to use it.
>>>
>>> 73 de Philip G0ISW
>>>
>>> http://www.qsl.net/g0isw

Re: Why did I purchase this antenna for the KX3?

Robert Vargas (KP4Y)
Philip, thanks for sharing your experience with the Miracle Whip. I currently live in an apartment and I felt really encouraged by your story.

73,
Robert-KP4Y

Re: Why did I purchase this antenna for the KX3?

Robert Vargas (KP4Y)
Of course, the #24 wire taped to a wall in my apartment would be cheaper and my XYL would love it. ;-)

73,
Robert-KP4Y

David Gilbert <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I personally would not call paying $130 for a base loaded five foot whip
>without a counterpoise to be a "minimalist" approach, but to each his
>own.  If you want to "intentionally put limits on the gear" it would be
>far cheaper (as well as more effective) to hang simply an appropriate
>length of #24 wire on the wall with masking tape.
>
>And I still say that the manufacturer's claims are ridiculous ... read
>them yourself if you don't believe me.
>
>Dave   AB7E
>

>On 11/29/2012 5:36 PM, Andrew Moore wrote:
>> Good for you Philip - and I hope what they take away from this is that you
>> can gain loads of enjoyment from seemingly minimalist setups.
>>
>> That's the thrill of QRP: Doing more with less, and sometimes intentionally
>> putting limits on the gear to see just what you can do with almost nothing.
>> For many, it amplifies the fun factor.
>>
>> No disrespect to QRO and bigger/better antennas... they're great too.
>>
>> 73,
>> --Andrew, NV1B
>> maineware.net
>> ..
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 5:25 PM, David Gilbert <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> I sincerely hope nobody takes you seriously.  It may radiate something,
>>> but the manufacturer's claims for this antenna are simply ridiculous.
>>>
>>> Dave   AB7E

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Why did I purchase this antenna for the KX3?

Andrew Moore-3
I have no idea what this Miracle Whip is  or what it cost, but if
Philip gained that much enjoyment from it and encouraged others,
sounds like he wins.

--Andrew

On Nov 29, 2012, at 9:16 PM, David Gilbert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I personally would not call paying $130 for a base loaded five foot whip without a counterpoise to be a "minimalist" approach, but to each his own.  If you want to "intentionally put limits on the gear" it would be far cheaper (as well as more effective) to hang simply an appropriate length of #24 wire on the wall with masking tape.
>
> And I still say that the manufacturer's claims are ridiculous ... read them yourself if you don't believe me.
>
> Dave   AB7E
>

> On 11/29/2012 5:36 PM, Andrew Moore wrote:
>> Good for you Philip - and I hope what they take away from this is that you
>> can gain loads of enjoyment from seemingly minimalist setups.
>>
>> That's the thrill of QRP: Doing more with less, and sometimes intentionally
>> putting limits on the gear to see just what you can do with almost nothing.
>> For many, it amplifies the fun factor.
>>
>> No disrespect to QRO and bigger/better antennas... they're great too.
>>
>> 73,
>> --Andrew, NV1B
>> maineware.net
>> ..
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 5:25 PM, David Gilbert <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> I sincerely hope nobody takes you seriously.  It may radiate something,
>>> but the manufacturer's claims for this antenna are simply ridiculous.
>>>
>>> Dave   AB7E

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Why did I purchase this antenna for the KX3?

Andrew Moore-3
(what mfr claims is irrelevant to me)

On Nov 29, 2012, at 9:16 PM, David Gilbert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I personally would not call paying $130 for a base loaded five foot whip without a counterpoise to be a "minimalist" approach, but to each his own.  If you want to "intentionally put limits on the gear" it would be far cheaper (as well as more effective) to hang simply an appropriate length of #24 wire on the wall with masking tape.
>
> And I still say that the manufacturer's claims are ridiculous ... read them yourself if you don't believe me.
>
> Dave   AB7E
>

> On 11/29/2012 5:36 PM, Andrew Moore wrote:
>> Good for you Philip - and I hope what they take away from this is that you
>> can gain loads of enjoyment from seemingly minimalist setups.
>>
>> That's the thrill of QRP: Doing more with less, and sometimes intentionally
>> putting limits on the gear to see just what you can do with almost nothing.
>> For many, it amplifies the fun factor.
>>
>> No disrespect to QRO and bigger/better antennas... they're great too.
>>
>> 73,
>> --Andrew, NV1B
>> maineware.net
>> ..
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 5:25 PM, David Gilbert <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> I sincerely hope nobody takes you seriously.  It may radiate something,
>>> but the manufacturer's claims for this antenna are simply ridiculous.
>>>
>>> Dave   AB7E

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Why did I purchase this antenna for the KX3?

Regardless of any particular user's success or failures, please indicate
the gain (or loss) with respect to an isotropic radiator (or a resonant
dipole in its greatest gain forward position).

I have heard claims of success with the Miracle Whip, and have seen a
lot of "it is a miracle that it radiates any signal at all" comments - I
am not moved by such claims (that also applies to many other antenna
manufacturers making similar statements) - show me the antenna patterns
and the reference levels with respect to either a dipole or an isotropic
radiator.

There are a lot of manufacturer's statements similar to "this antenna
has worked DXCC in less that 24 hours" or something similar.  I do not
pay much attention to such claims, a $2 hunk of wire can be used to make
those contacts too.

BUT, if whatever particular portable antenna you choose is sufficiently
efficient for you, who am I to argue with your choice. My portable
preference is an inverted VEE supported with my 32 foot telescoping
fiberglass pole - it is either a full size resonant dipole on 80 through
6 meters (band set by jumpers), or it is a 44 foot dipole that needs a
tuner.  I use both depending on my mood and the physical circumstances.
This is not pedestrian mobile, but then PM is not of current interest to me.

On 11/29/2012 9:37 PM, Andrew Moore wrote:
> I have no idea what this Miracle Whip is  or what it cost, but if
> Philip gained that much enjoyment from it and encouraged others,
> sounds like he wins.
>
> --Andrew

Re: Why did I purchase this antenna for the KX3?

Bill Frantz
When I travel to my New Hampshire QTH I take a PSK-20 radio and
a 20 meter dipole. I hang it between the house and a tree at
about 6 meters.

(If I had a KX3, I would be interested in a more wide-band
antenna choice. My ever patient XYL doesn't need the KX3 budget
hit after the K3 and P3 hits. hihi).

I have been amazed at the DXCCs I have been able to work with
that combination. The east coast really has an advantage over
the west coast with many easily contacted DXCC entities.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV