P3SVGA - Coming soon

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
We took a few lab pictures of our P3 SVGA display this week.  See:
http://www.elecraft.com/P3/p3.htm#p3svga

The screen in the picture is at 1920 x 1080 resolution.

We should have this up on the web order form in the next couple of
weeks. (As soon as we have confirmation of the date for finished boards
back from production.)

I'll post more info, pricing, delivery etc as we get closer to release.

73, Eric

--
www.elecraft.com

Re: P3SVGA - Coming soon

Bill - K6WLM
Eric,

It looks great!  Thanks for letting us know...

Happy Holidays and 73,
Bill - K6WLM

>We took a few lab pictures of our P3 SVGA display this week.  See:
http://www.elecraft.com/P3/p3.htm#p3svga

Re: P3SVGA - Coming soon

Vic Rosenthal
Yes! That is exactly the same monitor that I have sitting here, waiting for a chance to
display all of those beautiful pixels!

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: P3SVGA - Coming soon

Heinz Baertschi
Eric,

Very pleased to hear BUT will this be accompanied by the long awaited (and Promised) K2 support?

73,
Heinz  HB9BCB

Re: P3SVGA - Coming soon

Dave Perry N4QS
SVGA display looks great.  Will we also have point and click capability with
a mouse?

Dave, N4QS

> We took a few lab pictures of our P3 SVGA display this week.  See:
> http://www.elecraft.com/P3/p3.htm#p3svga
>
> The screen in the picture is at 1920 x 1080 resolution.
>
> We should have this up on the web order form in the next couple of
> weeks. (As soon as we have confirmation of the date for finished boards
> back from production.)
>
> I'll post more info, pricing, delivery etc as we get closer to release.
>
> 73, Eric
>
> --
> www.elecraft.com

Re: P3SVGA - Coming soon

Dick Dickinson
I consider the ability to have a resizable, position independent display on
a computer connected monitor as significant as a dedicated display monitor.

Does the opportunity exist to have a windowed display of the P3 output?

Perhaps I'm overlooking something obvious.

73,

Dick - KA5KKT

Re: P3SVGA - Coming soon

Grant Youngman
Seems to me you would need either (1) a monitor device with two inputs and built in PIP capability, another video processor in the P3 to also take your PC video and provide PIP on the P3 output, or software and something other than a SVGA video output form the P3 to let your PC do the PIP on it's screen.

Grant/NQ5T

On Dec 16, 2011, at 11:25 AM, Edward Dickinson III wrote:

> I consider the ability to have a resizable, position independent display on
> a computer connected monitor as significant as a dedicated display monitor.

Edward Dickinson III <[hidden email]>

> Does the opportunity exist to have a windowed display of the P3 output?
>

> Perhaps I'm overlooking something obvious.

Re: P3SVGA - Coming soon

Bill Swindell - K1LED
Will the P3 VGA adapter only work with the one resolution? I have a 1024 x 768 monitor that is waiting to connect to my P3.

Re: P3SVGA - Coming soon

Bruce Beford-2
Your monitor should work fine, Bill.
I am believe the -max- resolution was stated as 1920x1080. It should be
"backwards compatible" with lower resolution monitors.
73,
Bruce N1RX

> Will the P3 VGA adapter only work with the one resolution? I have a 1024 x
>768 monitor that is waiting to connect to my P3.

Re: P3SVGA - Coming soon

Alan Bloom
The available resolutions are 1024x768, 1280x1024 and 1920x1080.
There's room in memory so we could probably support other resolutions if
needed.

Alan N1AL

On Fri, 2011-12-16 at 21:46 -0500, Bruce Beford wrote:

> Your monitor should work fine, Bill.
> I am believe the -max- resolution was stated as 1920x1080. It should be
> "backwards compatible" with lower resolution monitors.
> 73,
> Bruce N1RX
>
> > Will the P3 VGA adapter only work with the one resolution? I have a 1024 x
> >768 monitor that is waiting to connect to my P3.

Re: P3SVGA - Coming soon

Steve Ward
I'd suggest 1440x900,  and 1680x1050 as they are common for
less-expensive widescreen displays.

73,

Steve
AD7OG

Alan N1AL wrote:

>  The available resolutions are 1024x768, 1280x1024 and 1920x1080.
>  There's room in memory so we could probably support other resolutions if
>  needed.

Re: P3SVGA - Coming soon

wb6rse1
Any recommendations for an 8"-10" VGA display for use with the P3SVGA?

73 - Steve WB6RSE

Re: P3SVGA - Coming soon

wb2ssb
I would suggest another common resolution is 1,600 x 1,200.

Alan N1AL wrote:

>  The available resolutions are 1024x768, 1280x1024 and 1920x1080.
>  There's room in memory so we could probably support other resolutions
> if  needed.

This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is proprietary, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by return email and delete the original message. Please note, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The organization accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

Re: P3SVGA - Coming soon

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
We are currently supporting 1024x768, 1280x1024 for the square formats,
and 1920x1080 wide screen. 1920x1080 is by far the dominant wide screen
format on new screens. (We just did a recent survey of what was
available at Best Buy, Staples etc.) I'm amazed how low the cost has
gotten for the 1920x1080 screens.

Each screen resolution requires a different FPGA design load from local
flash on the SVGA card. We may add at least one or two more wide formats
below  1920x1080 with new f/w updates after initial release. What are
the most popular wide screen resolutions in that range?

Regards,
Eric

www.elecraft.com

On 12/17/2011 11:49 AM, Steve Ward wrote:
> I'd suggest 1440x900,  and 1680x1050 as they are common for
> less-expensive widescreen displays.
>
> 73,
>
> Steve
> AD7OG

Re: P3SVGA - Coming soon

W5RDW
I know my eyes will welcome any screen size comparable to my PC monitor.  I got use to the external display for my FT-2000 DMU (albeit, it was mostly a toy as far as useful info). But with the advent of large displays now fairly inexpensive, it sure will be nice to have a larger screen to display the P-3 information!

I'm ready to order!

Roger W5RDW
Murphy, Texas
Roger W5RDW

Re: P3SVGA - Coming soon

Mike Reublin
Here's one. I had one in the shack today. Take a co-signer.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=10+inch+vga+monitor&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9491

73, Mike NF4L

On 12/17/2011 3:09 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Any recommendations for an 8"-10" VGA display for use with the P3SVGA?
>
> 73 - Steve WB6RSE

Re: P3SVGA - Coming soon

Bill K9YEQ
If one wants a small screen... that's a lot to pay!!!  I will opt for
something larger to take advantage of the output clarity available.

73,
Bill
K9YEQ

Here's one. I had one in the shack today. Take a co-signer.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=10+inch+vga+monitor&oe=utf-8&rls=or
g.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9491

73, Mike NF4L

Re: P3SVGA - Coming soon

Jeff Cochrane - VK4XA
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: P3SVGA - Coming soon - DATa

John Ragle
Eric...

     FWIW  I use a main screen (DELL 2407WFP) at 1920 x 1200 (rec) and a
subsidiary screen (DELL E170S) at 1280 x 1024 (rec), the latter for e.g.
fldigi etc. I would expect to use the latter for the P3 display. I also
have another (19") flat screen unit that I could use at various
resolutions, but it is really a bit too big for the operating screens.
My video card of course supports 2 screens, as do most, nowadays...

     It has not been exactly clear from the thread whether your P3 SVGA
display is "windowable" or is fixed size. One of the problems with
several of the available SDR screens is that the screen is not
windowable or moveable. This is just a matter of the care which the
programmer used when (s)he writes the code. For example, fldigi is
pretty much completely resizeable & moveable on either display.

     WRT pricing the 1920 x 1080 flat panel displays, one can get quite
large TV sets with HDMI inputs for about the same price, a couple
hundred bucks. I use a 36" LG TV in the living room with another small
computer along with cable reception. That would give a "really big
picture" for the P3 <joke>.

John Ragle -- W1ZI

=====

On 12/17/2011 3:28 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:

> We are currently supporting 1024x768, 1280x1024 for the square formats,
> and 1920x1080 wide screen. 1920x1080 is by far the dominant wide screen
> format on new screens. (We just did a recent survey of what was
> available at Best Buy, Staples etc.) I'm amazed how low the cost has
> gotten for the 1920x1080 screens.
>
> Each screen resolution requires a different FPGA design load from local
> flash on the SVGA card. We may add at least one or two more wide formats
> below  1920x1080 with new f/w updates after initial release. What are
> the most popular wide screen resolutions in that range?
>
> Regards,
> Eric
>
> www.elecraft.com
>

> On 12/17/2011 11:49 AM, Steve Ward wrote:
>> I'd suggest 1440x900,  and 1680x1050 as they are common for
>> less-expensive widescreen displays.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Steve
>> AD7OG

Sent from my lovely old Dell XPS 420

Re: P3SVGA - Coming soon

tomb18
If one looks at several sizes of wide - screen displays we can see the most common resolutions as follows:
Dell 19" widescreen: 1440x900. Price: $99
HP 19" widescreen: 1440x900 Price $119
Viewsonic 19" widescreen 1440x900 Price $149

Acer 20" 1600x1200 $99
HP 20" 1600x1200 $129

Most monitors starting at 22" these days support 1920x1080
Samsung 21.5 widescreen 1920x1080 $169
many more but the prices climb.  These prices were online at bestbuy.ca

To be honest, having a panadapter with a screen larger than 19" would not really be an advantage IMHO.  I already have 2 displays in my shack...a 30" and 24" I could add another but I would need it small.
I think the best flexibility would be to have the above resolutions if possible.  But if you need to choose one other than 1920x1080, I would go for the 1440x900.  This lets one get a smaller monitor.  If he wants more resolution then going to 22" is reaaonable in size.  Of course then you could go much larger too.
Of course, PIP would be great if your monitor supports it.  Otherwise you could get one of these:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3731239&CatId=3493

Any other ideas?
123