K3 P3 and KAT500

KG7FYI
Thanks for your attention. I've been running my K3 with pleasure. I have several questions.

As a member of the local ARES I would like to unlock my K3 to access all bands. My radio kit was built two years ago.
   1. Does my kit need a firmware update? I haven't been tracking that info.
   2. Is the software needed to unlock the bands freely available?

I have a couple of other radios for backup. What is the wattage limit on the KAT500 tuner?
Thanks for any help.

Stan
KG7FYI
Stan KG7FYI

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

KG7FYI
Also regarding the above, what if any changes need to be made to the K3 for unlocked band usage?
Stan
KG7FYI
Stan KG7FYI

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

Matt Zilmer-3
There is a Windoze-based app that unlocks TX up to 25 MHz, I believe. RX
is already continuous up to 30 MHz, plus there is aRX segment at 44 to
50 MHz, and finally 6m.

The rule used to be that you were required to send CS a copy of your
MARS cert (or other authorization to operate), then they'd email a copy
of the unlock program to you.  You can ask CS what's needed in your
case.  The last time I unlocked a K3TX was in 2009 or so....

[hidden email]

73,

matt W6NIA

--
"A delay is better than a disaster."
-- unknonwn

Matt Zilmer, W6NIA
[Shiraz]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

USED P3 Going Rate

doberman
What's the going rate for a nice P3, say a 9 - 9+, on the used market?

Dan - NB1C

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

Brian Hunt
As far as I know ARES members only operate within the amateur band allocations. Your K3 should cover what you need as is. Maybe you are thinking about MARS - Military Affiliate Radio System who do operate outside of the amateur band allocations. For that you will need the radio software mod available from Elecraft with proof you are a MARS member.

The KAT500 will handle all the power the K3 can output.

73,
Brian, K0DTJ

> On Apr 26, 2017, at 11:24, KG7FYI <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As a member of the local ARES I would like to unlock my K3 to access all
> bands. My radio kit was built two years ago.
>   What is the wattage limit on the
> KAT500 tuner?

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

KG7FYI
Thank you all for the responses. Our situation here is somewhat different regarding emergency preparedness. We are a very rural environment in SW Oregon. No cell service, frequent land line outages, very mountainous terrain and few options for communication in the event of an extreme emergency. The State of Oregon has been actively engaged with local ARES groups to prepare for an expected 9.1 subduction zone quake off of the Pacific Coast. All models point toward a complete disruption of all services for months and much of the destruction to disrupt the norm for years. Our community is isolated with the probability of all infrastructure collapsing and our demographic being physically unable to move in or out of the area except by foot. There are approximately 300 people within the thus affected zone. I am interested in opening up as much bandwidth as possible to provide maximum versatility for communication. This would include the MARS bands. We have several folks here with General and Extra class licenses. I don't think our radios should be encumbered with the limitation of band width. I suppose I could acquire the patch by some other means but I would just as soon have it from Elecraft.

I have not purchased yet but I am particularly interested in the possibility of an amplifier for my radios. I wondered if the KAT500 hundred could handle more than 100 watts? In discussions with club members it is apparent that some are for and others against 1000 watt amps etc. I'm curious if the elecraft tuner has wattage limits.
Stan KG7FYI

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

Grant Youngman-2
There’s no reason Elecraft wouldn’t provide the information to an authorized MARS station.  Local MARS directors also typically have information on firmware loads or other common means to get a lot of radios expanded to general coverage transmit, which they provide to MARS members.  And MARS does work with civilian agencies in emergencies.

There aren’t really MARS ‘bands” as such.  But regardless of license class, an Amateur station without a MARS license is not authorized to operate on any designated MARS frequency.  These frequencies are managed by DoD.  The interface between MARS and the non-MARS emergency traffic is on the ham bands, not on MARS frequencies, since that is the only place both are licensed to operate.

So, if they’re not, your local/state emergency coordinators should be working with the State MARS directors and their staffs to develop a plan for MARS support in the event of a natural disaster.

That said, I dropped my AFMARS affilliation around 15 years ago, so maybe things have changed.  And I probably don’t understand the full context of the request to begin with.

> except by foot. There are approximately 300 people within the thus affected
> zone. I am interested in opening up as much bandwidth as possible to provide
> maximum versatility for communication. This would include the MARS bands. We
> have several folks here with General and Extra class licenses. I don't think
> our radios should be encumbered with the limitation of band width. I suppose
> I could acquire the patch by some other means but I would just as soon have
> it from Elecraft.

Grant NQ5T
K3 #2091, KX3 #8342

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

Kidder, George
Yes, it does - in general, 600 W into 10:1 SWR, 1000 W into 3:1 SWR
(except 500 W into 5:1 SWR from 30 to 60 MHz.  This is ICAS with equal
time on and off, 5 min max at full power.  See manual for details.

I am using a KAT500 routinely with the K3/100, and on occasion, the
AL-80a, which can produce 600W CW or 1000 W SSB peak.  No problems so far.

George, W3HBM

On 4/27/2017 9:51 AM, KG7FYI wrote:

> <snip>
> I have not purchased yet but I am particularly interested in the possibility
> of an amplifier for my radios. I wondered if the KAT500 hundred could handle
> more than 100 watts? In discussions with club members it is apparent that
> some are for and others against 1000 watt amps etc. I'm curious if the
> elecraft tuner has wattage limits.
>

> -----
> Stan KG7FYI

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

marvwheeler
Eric:

Speaking as a former professional Emergency Management Coordinator you are
asking to be able to do something that will not endear you to neither the
County, State, or Federal Agencies.

Having persons uninformed with net operations is totally disruptive to the
point, at times, that all traffic stops. Not only will you incur the wrath
of these agencies you well might incur the wrath of the FCC. Just because
there is an emergency does not give you Carte Blanc to use radio equipment
as ones private forum.

There is, however, systems in place that welcome participation like yours.
Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service (RACES) is an organization provided
for in Part 97 of the Federal Communications Commission rules and
regulations governing amateur radio. RACES stations are licensed to do
exactly what it seems you wish to prepare to do.

I would recommend you contact the Oregon Department of Emergency Management
and describe exactly what you wish to do. You probably will  be surprised
how receptive they will be.

Our office location:
3225 State St., Room 115
Salem, Oregon 97301
Map/Directions

Hours of Operation:
8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday - Friday
The Oregon Office of Emergency Management observes all state holidays
including Martin Luther King Jr. Day, President's Day, Memorial Day,
Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, Christmas Day and New Year's
Day.

Loose cannons generally don't hit their aiming point but instead wreak
collateral damage.

Marv - KG7V
K3S, KPA 500, KAT 500

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

Joe Subich, W4TV-4
On 4/27/2017 9:51 AM, KG7FYI wrote:
> I am interested in opening up as much bandwidth as possible to
> provide maximum versatility for communication. This would include the
> MARS bands. We have several folks here with General and Extra class
> licenses. I don't think our radios should be encumbered with the
> limitation of band width.

If you have a MARS authorization, Elecraft will provide the patch.
However, you do not need it for ARES and/or RACES operations which
are strictly amateur based.  In essence, operate within your amateur
authorizations - don't decide you "need it" just because you want it.

Of course, you will learn that the rules mean something once you have
been licensed more than a couple of years - the current examinations
obviously don't stress that the rules trump any entitlement.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

KG7FYI
Thanks for all the input.
I hope you aren't getting the impression that I am preparing to be a loose cannon. We regularly carry on sets in anticipation of the type of emergencies the State is preparing for. Nonetheless my desire is to have as many options as possible available for our small community. We have been submitting grant proposals to upgrade our 2M equipment to be better integrated into the ARES net system here. On the other hand our ARES usually also does check ins on 28.400 MHZ which is not open on my K3. Not reasonable at all, hence my hope to scale things up. Our ARES group has done ARES/RACES certification to qualify for participation. I'll touch in with our club to see where we are regarding our RACES commitment. In the mean time also I'll make contact on my own. Thanks.
Stan KG7FYI

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

Bob Nielsen-4
Your K3 should be able to operate between 28.0 and 29.7 MHz on the 10
meter band, no modification required.

Bob, N7XY

On 4/27/17 9:18 AM, KG7FYI wrote:

> Thanks for all the input.
> I hope you aren't getting the impression that I am preparing to be a loose
> cannon. We regularly carry on sets in anticipation of the type of
> emergencies the State is preparing for. Nonetheless my desire is to have as
> many options as possible available for our small community. We have been
> submitting grant proposals to upgrade our 2M equipment to be better
> integrated into the ARES net system here. On the other hand our ARES usually
> also does check ins on 28.400 MHZ which is not open on my K3. Not reasonable
> at all, hence my hope to scale things up. Our ARES group has done ARES/RACES
> certification to qualify for participation. I'll touch in with our club to
> see where we are regarding our RACES commitment. In the mean time also I'll
> make contact on my own. Thanks.
>

> -----
> Stan KG7FYI

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

28.400  is within the 10 meter band and your K3 should work just fine there (Mine does)
That being said 28.4 may not be your best choice as it tends to be a calling frequency of sorts and even though they may not hear you you may hear them

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

Matt Zilmer-3
BND MAP may be set to OFF for 10m on his K3.  See p54 of the Owner's Manual.

73,

matt W6NIA

On 4/27/2017 12:18 PM, KG7FYI wrote:
> On the other hand our ARES usually also does check ins on 28.400 MHZ
> which is not open on my K3.

You obviously do not know how to operate your K3 (probably a failure
to red the manual) since 28.400 MHz is squarely within the amateur
10 meter band and works just fine with a stock K3, K3S - even the K2,
KX2 and KX3.

Again, I certainly hope you learn more about amateur radio and get
rid of the entitlement attitude.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 4/27/2017 12:18 PM, KG7FYI wrote:

> Thanks for all the input.
> I hope you aren't getting the impression that I am preparing to be a loose
> cannon. We regularly carry on sets in anticipation of the type of
> emergencies the State is preparing for. Nonetheless my desire is to have as
> many options as possible available for our small community. We have been
> submitting grant proposals to upgrade our 2M equipment to be better
> integrated into the ARES net system here. On the other hand our ARES usually
> also does check ins on 28.400 MHZ which is not open on my K3. Not reasonable
> at all, hence my hope to scale things up. Our ARES group has done ARES/RACES
> certification to qualify for participation. I'll touch in with our club to
> see where we are regarding our RACES commitment. In the mean time also I'll
> make contact on my own. Thanks.
>

> -----
> Stan KG7FYI

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

Raymond Sills
Good points.  And, besides that.. MARS communication deals with a military connection.. i.e. sending messages to or from deployed service people, either as written text (morse, digital, etc) or voice, often via phone patches.

73 de Ray
K2ULR

> I am interested in opening up as much bandwidth as possible to
> provide maximum versatility for communication. This would include the
> MARS bands. We have several folks here with General and Extra class
> licenses. I don't think our radios should be encumbered with the
> limitation of band width.

If you have a MARS authorization, Elecraft will provide the patch.
However, you do not need it for ARES and/or RACES operations which
are strictly amateur based.  In essence, operate within your amateur
authorizations - don't decide you "need it" just because you want it.

Of course, you will learn that the rules mean something once you have
been licensed more than a couple of years - the current examinations
obviously don't stress that the rules trump any entitlement.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

KG7FYI
I'm all about the rules. The last thing I would want to see is the chaos
that is found on some bandwidths. That said, when life and limb are
perishing the rule is getting a signal out when and how you can.

On 04/27/2017 08:35 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV-4 [via Elecraft] wrote:

> On 4/27/2017 9:51 AM, KG7FYI wrote:
> > I am interested in opening up as much bandwidth as possible to
> > provide maximum versatility for communication. This would include the
> > MARS bands. We have several folks here with General and Extra class
> > licenses. I don't think our radios should be encumbered with the
> > limitation of band width.
>
> If you have a MARS authorization, Elecraft will provide the patch.
> However, you do not need it for ARES and/or RACES operations which
> are strictly amateur based.  In essence, operate within your amateur
> authorizations - don't decide you "need it" just because you want it.
>
> Of course, you will learn that the rules mean something once you have
> been licensed more than a couple of years - the current examinations
> obviously don't stress that the rules trump any entitlement.
>
> 73,
>
>     ... Joe, W4TV

> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7630025&i=0>

> Message delivered to [hidden email]
> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7630025&i=1>

> <
> NAML
> <
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Stan KG7FYI

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

KG7FYI
Thanks for that input. I must have some setting wrong then. I am not
even able to navigate to 28.400 on my rig.

On 04/27/2017 09:29 AM, Bob Nielsen-4 [via Elecraft] wrote:

> Your K3 should be able to operate between 28.0 and 29.7 MHz on the 10
> meter band, no modification required.
>
> Bob, N7XY
>

> On 4/27/17 9:18 AM, KG7FYI wrote:
>
> > Thanks for all the input.
> > I hope you aren't getting the impression that I am preparing to be a
> loose
> > cannon. We regularly carry on sets in anticipation of the type of
> > emergencies the State is preparing for. Nonetheless my desire is to
> have as
> > many options as possible available for our small community. We have
> been
> > submitting grant proposals to upgrade our 2M equipment to be better
> > integrated into the ARES net system here. On the other hand our ARES
> usually
> > also does check ins on 28.400 MHZ which is not open on my K3. Not
> reasonable
> > at all, hence my hope to scale things up. Our ARES group has done
> ARES/RACES
> > certification to qualify for participation. I'll touch in with our
> club to
> > see where we are regarding our RACES commitment. In the mean time
> also I'll
> > make contact on my own. Thanks.
> >

> > -----
> > Stan KG7FYI
> > --
> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7630033&i=0>

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]
> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7630033&i=1>

> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7630033&i=2>

> Message delivered to [hidden email]
> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7630033&i=3>

> <
> NAML
> <
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Stan KG7FYI

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

KG7FYI
Thanks W6NIA. I will check asap.

On 04/27/2017 10:44 AM, Matt Zilmer-3 [via Elecraft] wrote:

> BND MAP may be set to OFF for 10m on his K3.  See p54 of the Owner's
> Manual.
>
> 73,
>
> matt W6NIA
>

> On 4/27/2017 9:49 AM, Harry Yingst via Elecraft wrote:
>
> > 28.400  is within the 10 meter band and your K3 should work just
> fine there (Mine does)
> > That being said 28.4 may not be your best choice as it tends to be a
> calling frequency of sorts and even though they may not hear you you
> may hear them

Stan KG7FYI

Re: K3 P3 and KAT500

KG7FYI
Thanks Joe. I am learning but the entitlement attitude is a new one for
me. I'll have to figure that one out.

On 04/27/2017 11:18 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV-4 [via Elecraft] wrote:

> On 4/27/2017 12:18 PM, KG7FYI wrote:
> > On the other hand our ARES usually also does check ins on 28.400 MHZ
> > which is not open on my K3.
>
> You obviously do not know how to operate your K3 (probably a failure
> to red the manual) since 28.400 MHz is squarely within the amateur
> 10 meter band and works just fine with a stock K3, K3S - even the K2,
> KX2 and KX3.
>
> Again, I certainly hope you learn more about amateur radio and get
> rid of the entitlement attitude.
>
> 73,
>
>     ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 4/27/2017 12:18 PM, KG7FYI wrote:
>
> > Thanks for all the input.
> > I hope you aren't getting the impression that I am preparing to be a
> loose
> > cannon. We regularly carry on sets in anticipation of the type of
> > emergencies the State is preparing for. Nonetheless my desire is to
> have as
> > many options as possible available for our small community. We have
> been
> > submitting grant proposals to upgrade our 2M equipment to be better
> > integrated into the ARES net system here. On the other hand our ARES
> usually
> > also does check ins on 28.400 MHZ which is not open on my K3. Not
> reasonable
> > at all, hence my hope to scale things up. Our ARES group has done
> ARES/RACES
> > certification to qualify for participation. I'll touch in with our
> club to
> > see where we are regarding our RACES commitment. In the mean time
> also I'll
> > make contact on my own. Thanks.
> >

> > -----
> > Stan KG7FYI
> > --
> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7630041&i=0>

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]
> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7630041&i=1>

> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7630041&i=2>

> Message delivered to [hidden email]
> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7630041&i=3>

> <
> NAML
> <
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Stan KG7FYI
1234